How can I help my infant poop?

Hello! My 3 week old hasn’t pooped in 2 days. He’s been in a lot of pain. I’ve given gas drops and done leg movement exercises and it hasn’t helped. Not sure what to do.

11 Likes

It can be normal for them to go many days without pooping depending. I’d call the doctor and ask.

2 Likes

Look up foot massage for constipation. Worked for my little guy

1 Like

Karo syrup in bottle and see you Dr

Rub his tummy in a counter wise motion. Does wonders!

1 Like

Maybe a little gripe water, but honestly 2 days is pretty normal for a newborn.

2 Likes

Maybe a warm soapy enema I had to do this with my oldest when she was born but I would still ask his pediatrician

3 Likes

Place a warm towel on his tummy and rub his tummy

2 Likes

Prayers in Jesus mighty name Amene

Put prune juice in bottle with water magic

2 Likes

The BEST ANSWER is from the pediatrician!!! Call and make appt asap!

37 Likes

Prune Juice and warm water together! Thank me later! Or karyo syrup and warm water with prune juice! My daughter struggled soooooo bad with this issue as a baby!

4 Likes

Water down an ounce or two of apple or pear juice

3 Likes

2 days at that age is not uncommon especially if the baby is fed breast milk. However if you truly feel the pain is from that then you need to consult a Dr. My son is fed breastmilk and only goes twice a week.

3 Likes

About a tbs or so of Dark kayro syrup mixed in their formula/ breast milk

I just went through this with my 3 week old, turns out she’s lactose intolerant and I had to switch her formula. After 24 hours on a new one she was back to going regularly.

1 Like

You should be calling the pediatricians office and asking a nurse.

Take him to the chiropractor

7 Likes

A little Karo syrup in his formula

6 Likes

Q tip.and Vaseline helped my Neice

Yes savannah Marie I gave about 2oz of prune juice my daughter was consulted often I gave at 3 weeks but I bottled fed her to did the job

Call your doctor or even the er. :woman_facepalming:t3: warm baths help at times but do not give baby anything until dr is called

2 days is nothing a breastfeeding baby can go 10 days between motions and formula fed a week. if your baby is in pain it’s probably just wind but being so small it never hurts to seek medical advice

1 Like

Literally don’t listen to any of this besides TO CALL HIS DOCTOR! Literally just take a minute to call the doctor.

3 Likes

Windis target has them. Get some lube and massage his belly and pop it in his rear end they are serious life savers

1 Like

vaseline on a q-tip was the only thing that worked for us before finding out at 5 weeks that a milk allergy was causing the constipation💔

5 Likes

Try rubbing the stomach below the bellybutton on the right side in circles clockwise. Hope it helps

We also kyro in a bottle. Our pediatrician told us we could use ped suppositories (the liquid form)

2 Likes

Chiropractor, gripe water, bicycle legs, watered down prune juice. Once I used a q tip to help a stuck poop and things moved along. Poor thing!

If he’s in pain and it’s been 2 days it’s probably a good time to get offline and call his Doctor.

7 Likes

2oz prune juice mixed with 2oz baby water that’s what our pediatrician recommend

3 Likes

Temp probe that you use to check by the rectum will stimulate them

2 Likes

Our Ped recommended a Couple ounces of water, always worked like a charm. Slowest nipple you can find!

He cannot have juice @ this age and Karo is a no, at any age… this comment section is fucking wild

Babies that lil cannot have juices not even water call his dr it must be the milk

6 Likes

Warm bath while doing tummy massage in a clockwise pattern is what I did with my oldest. It didn’t always make him poo the first time but it did seem to relax him. My pediatrician back then didn’t really do much for constipation until it got to around the 5th day mark but that was 10+ years ago. Said constipation in infacnts was pretty normal and that their bowels were still figuring out the functioning process.

4 Likes

Babies don’t poop everyday especially if breastfeeding, can go a week without going out.

Boil mint leaves. Mint tea in bottle. Baby will definitely poop. Works on adults too

Vaseline and a qtip very gently or a suppository if nothing else works.

1 Like

Brown sugar in little water

Might be from formula if using formula. My first daughter couldn’t go I had to switch formula many times. Also had to give water with karo syrup sometimes just taking a rectal temp would stimulate her to move bowels. Sometimes things worked sometimes not.

3 Likes

Go to the doctor if nothing is working. My niece ended up having to get some pills put in her bottom (5 weeks old) to soften the stool in order for her to poop

My child’s ped told me pear juice mixed with water. Worked immediately. Pear juice clogged the bottle nipple so I used an open tipped syringe and shot it into the back of my baby’s mouth.

1 Like

Oh lord, these comments are so dangerous :skull:

1 Like

Gripe water, can get it from any chemist, helps babies release gas and poops

4 Likes

I think you should call the pediatrician. Please do not give a 3 week old water or juice. I work with newborn infants as a nurse and we would never recommend this.

4 Likes

Or put lil bar soap in their bum

If in pain at 3 weeks of age, call pediatrician, who will tell you to go to ER.

Call your doctor at 3 weeks I would not give prune juice

1 Like

Glycerin suppositories wait just realized you said three weeks not months. Notify dr

1 Like

Talk to your pediatrician! My LO has to have miralax every couple days because her poop is so hard she screams bloody murder when she poops if she don’t have it. But your pediatrician would know best on how to help you LO.

Don’t start shoving things in his bum and don’t give him prune juice just yet try to stick him in his baby seat chair thing that vibrates the vibration will help get his bowels moving and he should poop if he doesn’t then try the prune juice

Please call _your babies Dr.

My grandson couldn’t pass his first poop after being born and there was sometimes he got constipated at home also due to his formula Similac anyways we did what the hospital nurse did per doctor words to check his fever rectal and see if the bile movement will pass if not I call the baby’s doctor to see if he or she can possible have a tip off a suppository or karo syrup can’t remember rather white or dark is best with the formula

A granny hack, lil piece of soap up the bum for constipation. Tiny size.

Oh also infant suppositories sometimes worked

2 Likes

oh my god. the amount of scary answers on here is upsetting. Please just call the pediatrician. it’s not hard to take a few hours out of your day to take your baby to the doctor or even just call….please don’t give your baby juice or water or really anything that your pediatrician isn’t recommending……

4 Likes

Pedialax suppositories… work instantly. Also baby massage, clockwise motion on their tummy. However my breastfed babies often went 10-14 days between poops at that age and their pediatrician was ok with it because they weren’t uncomfortable.

1 Like

Try pear juice it helped my little guys

I always had a small bottle of water with clear Karo syrup. Works everytime

Give him pretty warm water in his bottle. Get our systems moving. Nothing to hurt him.

1 Like

I always used just a tad of cayro syrup in the bottle worked like a charm

5 Likes

Vaseline and q-tip always worked with my little one.

6 Likes

That’s not terrible. For constipation Try the windi from Fridababy

Put a smidge of kyro in a bottle. Works wonders.

I went down this path when I had my first child. Always worrying about poops. I regret it. I would call his doctor.

Karo syrup only a ounce to 6 oz bottle.

This is pretty normal for this age, especially if he’s breastfed. As long as there’s enough pee diapers I think it’s common to go up to 7 days without a BM.

Massage the soles of his feet in the instep or take him to see a reflexologist.

Dark Karo syrup just a few drops in the bottle shake It up once the baby starts pooping cut the Karo out I did it with both my children my pediatrician said it’s perfectly fine it’s not going to hurt

2 Likes

Its apparently normal for babies that age to not poop for up to 10 days… my third child went 12 days without pooping but wasnt in pain at all then day 13 came & :poop::poop::poop: everywhere :joy::joy:

Just a very small amount of white cayro syrup in the bottle.

Merilax helped my son I just went to Walgreens and they told me how much to give him and I put it in his formula

1 Like

Don’t do the pear juice. It will cause him to have allergies when he grows up. Clear Karo and water works everytime.

Its normal for a newborn to go a couple of days without pooping.

2 Likes

Please consult your pediatrician. My son had this issue as an infant. It ended up being a tumor in his abdomen from a fairly rare cancer (neuroblastoma). Diagnosed stage 4 at 6 weeks old. I had to force his doctor to take me seriously. They had me trying every remedy you see here.

If you feel he is in pain, call your doctor. Two days is not a big deal. Some babies will go a week or more without pooping, especially if they’re breast fed.

3 Likes

Please do not give your three week old any kind of juice or karo syrup.
Baby is too small to digest or process anything but breast milk or formula.
It is not unusual for a young baby to go a few days but if baby seems uncomfortable, check with the pediatrician before giving him anything.

Tiny bit of water, or castor oil.

I worked with my pediatrician and my son had chronic constipation (later I found out food allergies) he told me to use a Q-tip with Vaseline and insert it into his rectum and NOT FAR and make circular motions to stimulate him to poop. I also tried glycerin suppositories but the Q-tips worked best. If the bowel becomes stretched you risk mega colon. Lay the baby down on a table with a towel underneath and try the Q-tip and Vaseline. Ask your pediatrician about possible milk allergy

Little Kyro syrup mixed in bottle.

Take a baby suppository and rub around his belly button and give it a few min

Have you tried a doctor? There could be a reason for this such as poor nutrition or a food sensitivity

Syringe warm water up the butt have a diaper ready cuz it’s gonna fly everywhere!.. they also make baby suppositories that work VERY fast also

If he is completely breast feeding it can be normal to go longer without poops because they use more of the breast milk, therefore less waste exiting.

2 Tbs dk Karo syrup in bottle

If you don’t want to do the juice way .Try this I used it on both my babies and they had no ill effects. Get a bar of Ivory soap, cut it down about the size of your little finger . Wet soap stick and insert in butt. Its best to do it across your lap ,a couple of turns with the soap stick and things
Juoul

My daughter suffered so bad, as an infant, that she was taken off formula, at 4 months, cuz everyone, they tried her on, bound her up!! We used prune juice and also I put kero syrup, in every bottle she had, of formula!! It was horrible!! I tried the bicycle exercise, with her legs, I tried a heated receiving blanket wrapped around her belly, I tried everything. Dr finally said, vitamin D milk and vitamin drops, so that’s what we did

Crystalyn Nightingale is amazing and can help you with safe solutions to help your little one. :blue_heart::sparkling_heart::pray::pray::pray:

Do you have a pediatrician? That’s who you ask questions regarding an infant, not the internet, nor home remedies. Ensure there’s nothing medically wrong with the digestive tract before you turn here…

Why ask strangers call your pediatrician

Do not give you newborn water unless you talk to your doctor first. Try rubbing his tummy

These are questions for a doctor so get off Facebook and get the child to a doctor Facebook is not a doctors office