How can I help my son feel more comfortable in his new bed?

Help!!! My son has been in a toddler bed since he turned one. He now 2 1/2, and we got him a full-size bed. He hasn’t taken a nap since we got him his new bed. A week ago, I had enough of him playing and being naughty in his room, so I put him in a pack n play, so he was stuck. He took an amazing nap. I took it out, but now he begs for it. I put him in bed with as much junk as I can to make him feel tight, and he took one good nap, but now is back to not taking naps again. Any advice?? Would side rails help?? I feel so bad for my baby. I know he feels lost in his big bed and needs to feel comforted. We switched him out of his toddler bed because he kept pushing it around the room and taking it apart (typical boy) instead of sleeping.

9 Likes

Side rail is good idea.

2 Likes

No naps, none of my kids napped as soon as there feet hit the floor, sleeps 8-8 or 9-9

Get him a twin size bed!!

2 Likes

Side rail and body pillow maybe. Both my daughter’s slept with body pillows and I do also. Couldn’t imagine life without one lol.

That might help. Walmart online sells a set that turns a full sized bed into a railed bed.

Maybe push the one side up against the wall and get a bed rail. Hope this helps

2 Likes

Maybe he has out grown his naps now

1 Like

Sounds like he doesn’t want to nap anymore

1 Like

At 2 almost 3 kids tend to get over napping which is normal and actually really great because that’s when they go to bed super early and still sleep through the night :smiley: tell him about how his big boy bed will bring wonderful dreams and if he uses it every night how he will be able to grow bigger and sleep better :heart:

2 Likes

Definitely a bed tent

1 Like

Bed tent, railings on both sides… even if it’s up against a wall, they can get stuck in that gap… maybe books about moving to a big kid bed? I took mine to shop for their bedding and that made it so exciting. Mine is almost 3.5 and naps at her babysitters house in her pack and play but not at home. There may be a connection there

Shove the bed in a corner and line the two walls with those roll pillows . I created a little nook in the corner with a little teepee like thing hanging from the ceiling and it was super cozy .

1 Like

Try a weighted blanket

1 Like

Do not push the bed against the walls get two bed rails for the bed and roll towels at each side and get something that he likes and put it up be side his head on the ceiling or a music mobile and what ever music that he likes all the best

try rails for the sidesof the bed. It may be a safety issue for him. Amazon sells them

Did you put rails on both sides of his new bed? Worked on both mine.

Try the rails, it’s a form of security. He might not be ready for the big boy bed. My son wouldn’t sleep in his bed til he was 3

My son likes having a bunch of stuffies on his bed and spare plush blanket’s since he got a bigger bed. Also has a specific blanket and pillow he sleeps with.

With my son it took me buying his favorite bed spread and pillow, and he was told if he didn’t sleep in it with his new stuff i would give it all away… it worked for us…

If rails happen to not work maybe can try like a weighted blanket or sleeping bag

I switched my daughter from a toddler bed to a twin. Full size seems kind of big for a 2yo.

1 Like

May need the confined space to feel comfortable.

I say if he likes to be confined to a pack an play let him sleep in it !!! Pick your battles an this is one your not going to win mom!!! He s only 2.

4 Likes

I had side rails thumbs up

A BED TENT !!! they’re so cool !!

Spend time during the day in the bed doing activities like playing with cars or puzzles or reading. Let’s him associate the bed with good and not so scary and also allows his body to adjust to the size and feel

With my girl when she was little she hated her single bed she always slept in her tent perfect .
Can either make a bed in the tent or put a bed tent on .
I talked to her day care teachers and home help teachers about it . They always said if they sleep and it works long term there is nothing wrong with it .

Put the pack and play back. If it works and doesnt hurt why not.

6 Likes

Weighted blanket, my daughter is almost 3 and sleeps through the night with hers. It makes her feel like someone’s laying with her, so switching from the toddler bed to regular bed was easy

6 Likes

You can always try sleeping next to him until he fall asleep and then sneaking out when he falls asleep?!? Then eventually he’ll get used to it

3 Likes

really no reason to upgrade to a full bed when he is still so small. I dont get why parents rush their kids into things.

4 Likes

I bought one of those bed canopy tent things for my neice and nephew, they loved it, they thought it was their own little fort, they took their toys in and played and slept

May just be time to stop naps? Full size bed seems so big for a little one like that

Lots of pillows and maybe a rail

2 Likes

Kids grow out of the napping stage earlier then others mine did at 1 . Honestly should let him do his thing and don’t force him to nap. It’s apart of being a parent it’s not perfect. You lose sleep and u are to entertain and raise a child to be a good human in this world.

He may be afraid of falling out of the bed. Side rails or a bed tent may help as well as placing the bed in a corner of the room so that there is only one side to fall out. Pillows or blankets on the floor may help on that side

1 Like

When we switched it was very hard for my little one. I used to lay next to her until she would fall asleep and then leave. Then slowly I would start to set timers for less and less time until she knew it was bed time and I was putting her to bed. Now it is a breeze. There are still times where she wants me to lay with her but that is rare. Change can be hard on kiddos and there is nothing wrong with taking that time to empathize with your kiddo about the change and talk about it as well as helping them through that change. Hope this helps!

They eventually stop taking naps at some point, or least all 4 of mine just kinda stopped taking naps…

2 Likes

Take him to pick out bedding for it. Let him pick it let him swipe the card lol let him put it on the bed. He will feel accomplished

all my kids went from crib to queen :woman_shrugging:t2: they loved it an slept better. Every kid is different and grows out of naps at different ages. none of mine napped past 18m

Maybe give him back the the toddler bed.

2 Likes

Big beds can be overwhelming for little people. I saw a thing I think they are called air rails? Basically it’s an air up thing for under the sheet to make a little bed on a big bed. I have seen people on pinterest make them with pool noodles as well. If he prefers a smaller sleeping space that might help. Without having to go back to a p&p. But if not, let him nap in the p&p sometimes kids just like the familiarity of sleep spaces.

Maybe add some cool lights to his room or some glow in the dark stars! It might help keep him more excited about being in his bed. My son is almost 2 1/2 and he still takes naps regularly but it sometimes he will skip naps too. Possible the little guy is just going through a little phase. However if he feels more comfortable in the pack n play, you guys could totally let him sleep in there! There’s no problem with that at all.

1 Like

We bought a bed tent for my sons twin size bed! Check amazon they’re not too expensive like $30
He is almost 2.5 and he loves ot

Get one of those tents for the bed. They feel secure in it. Plus they love it.

He is probably done with naps. Let him have quiet time instead and give him a book to read or a coloring book and crayons. No sense in killing your child’s drive just to suit your agenda.

Give a couple of body pillows a try.

Put half rails on the bed to help him feel secure they make them to slip under mattress an box spring

My son loved it when he got a bigger bed cuz he surrounded himself with stuffed animals. But he really liked the bed cuz we let him pick the bedding he liked

Something to put sides around him. Toddler beds, pack n plays, cribs. They all have a “fense” of some sort. Try to mimic it.

Take him to the store and let him pick out a sheet set and comfortable and a stuffed animal. Have him help make the the bed and place his new stuffed animal on his bed. Explain to him that this is his new big boy bed and it’s time to give his old bed to someone else. The first 3 days will be the worst but if you stick to making him sleep there it will get easier and you both will get through it.

He is probably done with the nap thing try keeping him awake all day that way he is exhausted at bed time…also include a warm bath before bed…try getting a new routine before bed started bath pajamas brush teeth then in bed for story time include a moving ceiling nightlight that circles his room with stsrs

Go back to the toddler bed until he’s ready

A full size bed is kinda big. I would put him back in the toddler bed. Next time he takes it apart leave it that way for awhile. Have him help you put i back together and tell him next time he takes iy apart he will have to sleep in it that way and will be punished.

1 Like

You could do side rails yes or even do a weighted blanket sometimes it makes him feel more secure

Why you so desperate for him to nap? :woman_facepalming:

Stuffed animals long pillows and bed rails