How can I keep the peace with my neighbor?

2 weeks ago we moved into a new house & last weekend someone new moved into the house next door to us. Well someone called animal control on another neighbor’s dog ( idk what the reason was because their dog is so sweet & lovable & doesn’t bark or cause issues) but now that neighbor thinks it was either me or the other new neighbor. I obviously told her it wasn’t me but she doesn’t know me so I’m not sure if she believes me. Is there a non expensive or sweet simple gesture or something I can do to try and keep the peace and show her she can trust me and it wasn’t me???

37 Likes

You already told her you didn’t do it and she doesn’t believe you that is on her. You didn’t have to say anything honestly truthfully. But if you feel that the dog is a good dog maybe get some treats for them and a toy they like.

15 Likes

Just be friendly with her dog when it’s around. Show her through your actions that the dog is not a problem for you.

39 Likes

I think if you take a doggie gift now, it will make you look more guilty. She will get to know tge real you over time. Just be pleasant and wave and say hello when you see her. :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Stay out of it and move on. Who knows what the reasons they were called for. Maybe animal control deserved to be called :woman_shrugging:

22 Likes

Just be friendly and cordial to your neighbor every time you see them. Start building a relationship. It will all settle down with time.

11 Likes

Doing something may make them believe that you feel guilty for calling them even though you didn’t, you told them it wasn’t you so I would leave it

12 Likes

I think you need to adjust your way of thinking. Assuming your neighbor doesn’t believe you because you are new puts out negative vibes. Why not assume that your neighbor does believe you because you told her you didn’t do it? Practice telling yourself over and over that is the case until you believe it. That will make the energy right between you and your neighbor to foster a healthy relationship. Also, don’t accuse the other new neighbor. You don’t know that they did it. You didn’t like being accused, so don’t accuse someone else. Drama is never good in a neighborhood, or anywhere but tv. And don’t start feeding the neighbor’s dog. You don’t want to be accused of poisoning it. Maybe later after you have developed a good relationship with the neighbors and they know you, then you can feed the neighborhood dogs. Think positive. Be happy. Good Luck!

9 Likes

Sounds like perhaps another neighbor had an issue with the dog and unfortunately for you and the other new neighbor the person who called used this as a perfect time to call because they didn’t want any trouble or any hostility for themselves. Good luck!! I would just leave it alone you told her it wasn’t you. If you do to much she will think you’re trying to hard to cover it up.

3 Likes

If you know it wasn’t you then I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s her problem for thinking it is was you. You can be as kind as you want but you don’t know this person that well yet

6 Likes

I personally would just move on. If she doesn’t believe you that’s on her.

17 Likes

You don’t have to please your neighbors, just let it go. People will believe what they want you can’t convince them otherwise.

6 Likes

Just be your self. The person that called will eventually make snide remarks about the animals or say something to another neighbor and the truth will come out.

4 Likes

Stop caring about what a stranger thinks that doesn’t take the time to get to know you before accusing you. Focus on building your new home and let neighbors be neighbors. We all get a Karen neighbor every once in a while

4 Likes

I would stay out of it and move on. I feel like if you bring a gift it’s going to make you look guilty.

5 Likes

Why are you trying so hard its obvious if she doesn’t believe thats on her trying too prove your truth an worth will more than likely make her more suspicious. I would ride it out and just throw out a hi when you see them and chitchat when outside these things have away of working themselves out.

2 Likes

Get her dog a new toy (5.00 or so). Who gives someone’s dog a new toy after trying to get rid of it right?

I would just continue to talk to the neighbor and be nice to the dog when you see it. Act normal. I think the gift could make you look guilty. It’s on her if she doesn’t believe you.

2 Likes

Befriend the other person that it could have been and then you may can get an admission of them doing the calling, Then you can go tell her that you know who called and why because you can get that info once you get an admission. Hehe. This is how Desparate Housewives would do it and many other females. (I only said this to give you a little giggle) I personally wouldn’t buy anything for her or her dog and wouldn’t try anything because that would make one look guilty, just be friendly. It’s good the dog isn’t really a problem.

2 Likes

Let it blow over and just build a friendship over time with that woman. Strike up conversations with her, if you garden… take a bunch of flowers out of your garden to her or if you grow your own produce take some of that

1 Like

Eventually she will probably figure out that it wasn’t you. Whoever did it will probably do it again. Buying her something would look like an apology to me making you seem like you did it. Just be friendly and things should work out

Don’t you gonna look guilty as hell

Leave it be, I had a bad encounter with my next door neighbor when I first moved. He’s never sober, knocks on your door at odd ends of the day and didn’t respect personal boundaries. I also now get anxious when I leave my home with kids because it’s like he watches his windows like a hawk and will walk out as soon as I step outside or pull into my driveway. Some people want to be left alone. (I extended my fence, got security cameras, and a please go away sign and door mat,) And he still comes by. I think a welcome to the neighborhood with dog toys/ treats is a sweet gesture but it would also make me think you feel guilty and are trying to back pedal. But that’s my opinion. Give it time and usually neighbors pick up quickly on nice and nosy neighbors or rude mean ones within a few weeks.

If she doesn’t believe you that’s her problem. No reason for you to have to prove yourself.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. You told her it wasn’t you. You have no control over whether she believes you or not. Just continue to try to be a good neighbor, but don’t go overboard. If you let her start manipulating you now, it will only get worse. I would be more worried about why someone called animal control. Was the sweet, loveable dog being starved, neglected, or abused?

2 Likes

Don’t do anything. Stay at your house and mind your business. The neighbors have there opinion .

Just leave it be the truth will out just be friendly and leave it at that

1 Like

You do not have to prove her anything. If you keep trying you will only look more guilty for her .
Just let it go

Going out of your way to prove it wasn’t you would make me feel like you have a guilty conscience. You mentioned it now let it go.

This is really petty. Just ignore each other. Not that serious.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t give them anything it makes you look guilty. Just be a friendly neighbor say hello when you see them or good
Morning

Buy some dehydrated duck wrapped sweet potatoes(you can get them anywhere they sell dog food/treats. Spoil the baby.

Get the pupper some cookies

2 Likes

Just let it die down and say hello when you see her. It will pass eventually but if your over compensating you’ll come across as guilty

A nice, pretty, jar of dog treats.

Just be yourself and let time build a friendship and trust .

The truth shouldn’t have to defend itself. Just kill with kindness…

Bake her a batch of brownies, biscuits (you probably call them cookies)
Introduce yourself
And stay out of neighbourhood drama

They can get the name of the person who called. It’s public records.

Some times it’s just better to let it be
The truth will show at some point because who ever did it will tell some one cant help them selves

Just keep treats on the porch. So when she goes out for a walk with the doggo and you happen to be out there you can be nice and show you like the doggy.

Don’t go overboard it will make you look guilty

4 Likes

Her problem if she doesn’t believe you, carry on regardless, it will come out who did it eventually.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to convince her. Just be cordial when you see her and let it go

stay out of it & keep to yourself, you already said it’s not you… nothing else to do

You telling her is enough

I wouldn’t bother. If she already isn’t believing you, she could see the gift like an admittance of guilt. Best you can do is maintain friendliness. Do you think there’s a reason someone called about the dog?

Never try to buy someone’s trust. They will use that against you. They’ll take advantage of you & expect you to give them stuff constantly. It happened to me. Just continue being you. Eventually the truth will come out.

Who cares what they think as long as you know your truth.

Ding dong ditch with flaming poop

I talk to my neighbors dog and mention how much we enjoy having him next door when they are outside. At Christmas, the dig gets a gift too. When there are issues, they know my house doesn’t have problems with their dog and that I actually appreciate having a dog bell when strangers come around. Just thougjts…use them as younwill.

You told her it wasn’t you, end of story. You’re reading way too far into it. Gifts will make you look guilty. You think she doesn’t believe you? That’s on her and that’s on you for assuming her thoughts. Move forward.

Those reports can be accessed by the public, I believe. So get a copy and show them

You had the decency to approach her and tell her the truth which means you care . If she doesn’t believe you , that’s on her. Personally if would even try with her. … because she’s wrong and has no right to assume and not believe you. And get in her high horse . To Keep the peace I would Ignore her…

I bake bread, we all eat it, it’s not showy its just a simple sweet gesture.

Just worry about your own grass and no one else’s :woman_shrugging:t2: they’d be just as quick to fuck you over I bet. So keep them as strangers. In my opinion.