How can I make sure my 4-month-old doesn't get the flu?

My fiancee and I both are starting to have flu symptoms, and we have a four-month little girl. She was born Prematurely at 32 weeks, so her immune system isn’t as developed as a baby who was born on time. How do we protect her from getting the flu as well, and what are some signs in babies to look for, so I know when to be worried in case she does catch it? She’s my first, and I just want to be safe instead of sorry. After seeing her in the NICU, I really don’t want to see her like that again. Thank you.

12 Likes

This might be a good question for your doctor. If your baby was a premie I would go straight to the professionals.

2 Likes

You need to ask a doctor. For now, buy face masks to keep from breathing or coughing near her.

1 Like
  1. Get a flu shot for both you and fiancee.
  2. Wash your hands a lot. Then wash them some more.
  3. Be very selective to who touches or goes near baby.
  4. Do not take baby out unless it is necessary.
3 Likes

Where mask …did u get the flu shot and tdap?

I’d say the obvious:
Wash your hands constantly. No kissing. Lysol everything. Hand sanitizer in every room. Cover every cough/sneeze. Good luck!

Face masks, Lysol and wash you’re hands alot…

My gurl was prem too me and her dad were extra vigilant on hand sanitiser an not coughn around her and that seems to hav workd mi gurl was breastfeed too which id say was a massive help with mi antibodys in it if she got even lil bit ill the breast milk changes for her to make her better its amazin stuff. My gurl has only once im her 3years of life been to docs for cold or flu . If ur breastfeedin she will be fine if nt ther are no antibodies an harder to fight off. Good luck dnt stress too much shes stronger than u think ur awesome for askin goid on ya mama

Got family that can watch her while your sick?

Keep away from sick People.

1 Like

Purrell/wash y’all hands constantly. Wear masks around her. If you all need antibiotics, get some! Don’t kiss on her until your symptoms are gone.

1 Like

U can’t. It will happen. Only matter of time

1 Like

Hygiene is key right now. Hand sanitizer and washing the hands a ton. Also ask the doctor if there are any extra things you can do for precaution

1 Like

Signs r pullin or rubbin their ears, sneezing, unsettled more than usual, refusin boob or bottle thats usually sickness or extra sleepy but all normal for a prem baby anyways the docs r free go as much and as often as u need better to be safe than sori but jus hygiene like at nicu keep that up if ur partner or u gets real bad with ur flu unless ur breaatfeedin prob best to settle close contact i would be on my death bed N stil feed mi bubba even if u r sick it doesnt mesn the baby catches it ive got 3 kids lol

If you are nursing or feeding breast milk by bottle continue to do so. You will not get your baby sick. But you will help enforce her immune system as yours fights it.

Having a baby who was in the nick is scary trust me, getting sick and baby getting sick very scary. My question is are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding, it matters about sterilization to the bottles. Do you put Vick’s on your chest at night does the baby co sleep or sleep in a crib bassinet. My son was a month old when he got bronchitis born prematurely and I got the worst ear ache ever. Humidifier will become your life patting baby’s back will help prevent mucus build up and do not hide you baby in your house their immune system will respond I promise it will but be letting everyone touch baby either keep baby clothed as well during the winter. Some signs are a fussy baby or a weird sound when they cough. Also keep doctor in the loop at every appointment and do not be afraid to call and ask or be in their once a week with questions I did for the first year also trust your instincts

If baby is breastfed nurse often

Both my babies are preemies and we just wash, hand sanitize and mostly just do good hygiene. Of course staying out their faces. They may or may not get sick though.

2 Likes

Wear a mask 24/7. Wash your hands a ton! Don’t lick her bottles/binkies. Nothing! No kisses for a couple weeks as you are contagious for awhile. But mostly call her pedi and ask.

3 Likes

If both of you have it she is probably sick already. =\

If you’re breastfeeding your body will produce antibodies for the baby. If you’re already having symptoms then she’s already exposed. I would call her pediatrician and see what they recommend. Other than that get masks to wear, don’t kiss her, wash your hands or germx before holding her, and Lysol everything.

Wash your hands, get a face mask, disinfect the home regularly, and keep yourself healthy by taking care of yourself. Make sure you’re getting adequate vitamin c, hydration, rest as much as possible (i know, easier said than done), and see about getting your flu shots when you’re feeling a bit better.

Breastfeeding!! Any make sure you wash your hands regularly, hand sanitizer, no kissing

In my family we cough inside our shirt. Just pull up the front just a tad and cough in there. It is the kindest way to cough. You don’t want to cough old style in your hands because then everything you touch gets the germs. You don’t want to aim for your elbow because the germs go all over the room. Contain the cough and your germs inside your own clothing. It is the only kind and thoughtful way to protect those around you.

2 Likes

You’ve already been contagious before you even had the symptoms. If I were you I’d put a call into her pediatrician.

Lysol, mask and hand washing for sure. Good luck mama. Feel better!

1 Like

Wash hands, keep hands away from face, eyes, mouth, wear a mask, lysol everything, sanitize bottles

1 Like

Call your pediatrician for professional advice.

2 Likes

Wash your hands a lot. Don’t kiss near her face (its hard I know) boost your immune system! Elderberry, vit c, keep baby away from crowded places (I kept mine home)

1 Like

Proper hygiene and are you breast feeding? If so, your body will make a little antibodies to help your little one.

I caught the flu when my baby was born last year. I also was sick for over a month with the flu, colds and also got a cold sore during labour. I held my baby 24/7 and even in the NICU. She never got it. Just don’t kiss your baby.

Humidifiers the flu can’t survive in a “wet” environment!

Do not take her out in public.An old man told me back and the day babies were kept at home for months to avoid illnesses.Or at least tent the baby in public.

1 Like

Make sure you Lysol door handles and anything you touch.

Once better make sure you wash all sheets and spray down the couch or any other place you may have sat or spent time and where you may place her down at.

If she’s breastfeeding then your body is making antibodies to help her fight off sickness.

If you could wash your hands any time you touch your face and even if its with a Kleenex.

4 Likes

I got the flu already this year when my newborn was only a month old. I constantly washed my hands and resisting kissing my cutie patootie baby. Breastfeeding helped I think. Neither of my 3 kids or my husband got it.

2 Likes

Get her vacinnated for the flu they have the drops for babies

1 Like

Mmm it’s really hard. However, do what the Siberian people do. Go in the cold weather and breath in. Let the baby do the same…but only a few minutes. That helps strengthen your immune system. Use masks if need be and be clean.

1 Like

Germ x all the time, do your best not to kiss or breath directly on the baby or around the face or hands. Wash your hands an germ X before y’all pick her up Everytime and keep others away just in case they have it and are not showing signs yet

If you breastfeed, keep doing it. There will be antibodies in the milk

2 Likes

I have a theee month son and I protect him from getting sick by myself taking extra vitamins, vitamin c, elderberries, extra prenatals and when I breast feed it all goes to him also eating good food good veggies and all that and I use oils from doterra on gourd mostly for the baby

all 4 of mine were born at the start of flu season. Breast feed eat healthy yourself wash your hands often Im anti flu shot so no one ever had those Cold virus is NOT the flu so many people call every cold “the flu” We delay vaccines we do them but not all they wanted to give at each visit. It worked for us and still does.

3 Likes

Babies are a lot stronger than you think! You can take many precautions but if she catches a cold then she catches a cold! I know you don’t want your baby to get Ill none of us want our children to get ill but it’s going to happen x

Wear a mash and wash your hands. Spray your house with lysol

Face masks and wash hands. But… even doing that it will be hard.

Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently

Just went through this with my 3 month old premee 2 weeks ago, we all had the flu, I’m just happy he only got the sniffles and it was done with!

Have you had your vaccinations? Don’t kiss her face or hands. Wash your hands constantly and especially after sneezing. Throw dirty tissues away in a room that she never goes in(a spare bedroom or a half bath that she doesn’t go in), wear a face mask if it doesn’t scare her. Talk to your doctor and ask their advice, they might have better ideas

1 Like

The only sign you need to look for is a high fever, it’s the only time you should take them to the doc. They all will tell you to go get some infants Tylenol, it’s the only thing they’re small bodies can handle

If you are showing symptoms, I don’t think there is a lot you can do. She will have already been exposed for the last week. Always practice frequent handwashing is all I can say.

1 Like

My daughter was born at 32 weeks, she had a 2 year old brother and a 9 month old brother at home. They are going to get sick, best things you can do is sanitize your hands, don’t kiss them and try your best. That’s all you can do.

Safe instead of sorry would have been getting your flu shots. Is there a reason that you and your partner did not get the flu shot?

Why is everyone assuming she and her fiancé didn’t get the flu shot? She doesn’t specifically say they didn’t. You can still catch the flu even with the vaccine. It’s just a milder case.
I would hope, though, that if she had a baby spend time in NICU, she would do everything she could to keep baby as healthy as possible, including getting all proper vaccinations.

4 Likes

Get your flu shot and be meticulous about hand hygiene. If you notice symptoms stay away and wear a mask. Avoid crowds like holiday mall shopping. Ohhh you already have symptoms, then don’t kiss her face, wash your hands before any contact and wear a mask.

1 Like

Anytime I had gotten sick when my preemie was only a couple months old, I had someone babysit her til I got over it. I was always so scared she would catch something

wash hands…wash hands…WASH HANDS, if you have symptoms, then you may want to wear a mask

If your breastfeeding then you’re giving him what he needs right now and don’t stop even with you sick. Go see your Dr for you and Dad for what you need and just keep watch on baby. If there is a fever of 100°in baby go straight to the ER

Dont kiss the baby at all

You are generally contagious the most before symptoms even develop (although still contagious after as well) but baby’s almost likely already been exposed. But to avoid any further contamination you can ware a face mask and wash hands very frequently! Use Lysol or Clorox (that kills flu) on surfaces that you touch often, like door handles!

When my daughter had the flu last year she wore a doctors office face mask. We sanitized the house and toys multiple times a day and kept her secluded from everyone else. No one else in our house got the flu. Make sure as soon as she is old enough to get her the flu shot. And go get Tamiflu as it can shorten your flu.

Has she received the upper respiratory vaccine I’m sorry I’m not sure what it’s called but my son was 10 weeks early I took him home the beginning of November and I think he got it every month through the flu season. You should talk to the doctor and get advice from them.

1 Like

The whole family came down with the flu when my little man was 2 weeks old, he was born at 38 weeks and spend 5 of those days in NICU and all we did was sanatize and washed our hands everytime we had to interact with bubs, kept a distance when talking, coughed into tissues and used alot of glen 20 :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: he was fine he didnt catch a thing :grin::grin::grin:

Is she breastfeeding? If so and you catch it first there’s a chance she won’t get it from the antibodies. you will need to make sure you wash your hands all the time and clean everything. Also quarantine anyone sick to one room and limit their exposure to her if possible.

You can buy the mask to wear on your face I wore one ever time I got sick to keep my ailing husband from catching it.

We avoided the grocery store with our daughter when she was really young. We either went separately or had my mom come watch her.

Are you breastfeeding? Your body will make antibodies from your illness and protect her. If yournot and want to try it’s not too late to stimulate your milk and give it partially.

Only thing i know put a LITTLE Vaseline on a cotton bud in the nose it helps the cold germs not to invade her throat and make sure you wash your hands and anyone else in the house and keep baby hands very clean HYGIENE IS VERY IMPORTANT

Yes! Masks and washing your hands alot and lysol disinfectant spray! Also airing out your home and letting fresh air in or else your all breathing in recycled air from each other. You dont have to leave the windows open all day but just for a little while

2 Likes

Don’t forget Lysol. I Lysol everything when someone is sick. Along with hand washing and sanitizer.

1 Like

From one nicu mom to another good luck​:unamused: my NICU baby has been admitted twice for upper respiratory infections :persevere: definitely was your hands and don’t kiss your baby or allow other people to kiss baby

Flu vaccines!!! Get one every year! With a 32 wk preemie, this should be an absolute requirement!!

2 Likes

Masks to start. Wash hands religiously. I would confirm if you have the flu or just colds. Either way, if you have a very trusted family member that could watch her for you are sick, it would be better for her and you all. Sorry you are dealing with this, I got swine flu when my oldest was 9 months old.

1 Like

Face masks, a lot of hand gel. Wash everything you touch down.

Theres no for sure way and please dont let someone take your baby till your better wash your hands keep hand sanitizer around cause you can take all preventive measures and the baby could still end up sick dont go out side if its not necessary u know simple things will help

Have everyone in your household get the flu vaccine if they can. Have everyone wash hands is the key of prevention.

1 Like

Do you have someone that can watch the baby while mom and dad are sick?

Def start with the flu shot.
Wash hands regularly and Lysol will be ur best friend!

Have someone watch the baby wash your hands thoroughly and wear a mask

You should be able to go to the doctor and get anti viral shot or medicine. It’ll lower the duration of the virus. As for the baby, call their doctor and see what you/they can do.

Keeping home cool and not hot. Heat spreads germs, however cool keeps germs at bay.

Face masks for u and him washing ur hands tons. Get u a bottle of bleach put 1 cup bleach to 2 cups water in a spray bottle and use it everywhere, lights, remotes, cabins, dishwasher, stove nuddles and handles, light switches, fridge door ect everywhere, handles, bathroom, tub, ect. Put blankets sheets and pillows all in wash and dry and dont forget to spray down the washer and dryer too. Actually bed or couch u can use lysol spray let dry before adding anything back on it
Sorry u are getting sick I hope u all feel better soon

Have someone watch the baby? Parents get sick every day. That’s dumb. Take care of your child , wash your hands. Go to the doctor. Feel better

You actually don’t have to bleach everything. Putting things in the dryer on a high temp for about 10-15 minutes will kill bacteria. Be sure to wash hands frequently and don’t get your hands and face close to hers if you can help it. If she does end up getting the flu, watch for fever, extreme fussiness and lack of appetite. To be honest, if you and dad both have/get the flu, there’s really nothing that can 100% prevent the baby from getting it as well…only steps to minimize risk.

keep hands cleaned wear masks if got cough disinfect surfaces

Wash your hands constantly wear a face mask exspecially when holding her change your clothes often Lysol at least 6 times a day focusing on door knobs and spray the open air wash all bedding with bleach during and after your sickness keep germ x close

Why don’t u ask the baby’s pediatrician instead of Facebook