How can I potty train my toddler?

How do I potty train my 2 year old that only answers no when asked if they need to use the bathroom. She’s 2 years old so she’s terrible at that age but I feel like if she understands why she has to be potty trained she might be more willing. I’m frustrated because she doesn’t know how to use the toilet and I have to ask her nicely for her to do things but she always says no? And refuses. Maybe she’s just not a big girl yet and thinks she’s being big by the way she talks saying no to everything

14 Likes

Three was the magic age for my two girls. Same for one of my granddaughters. My two yr old granddaughter who will be 3 in September is really showing an interest in actually going potty right now.

My daughter is 3 and is just mostly potty trained , I waited until she showed she was ready. Which was around 2 and she really didn’t show FULL interest until 4-5 months of doing it.

1 Like

It’s more frustrating when they KNOW how to use the potty. They KNOW when they have to go and how to ask for help. But they just…don’t :expressionless: mine is freshly three, and my third so not my first potty training rodeo, but she’s about to get the No More Diapeys, only training panties.

2 Likes

She is not ready then…you can introduce it but don’t force it

The book “Oh Crap” was really helpful (and it’s a fun name!)

We did scheduled trips with a jar of jelly beans. Every time we went with a smile we got a jelly bean. Sticker on Awesome Chart on fridge if we were successful in going!

2 Likes

Get the book Potty Train in 3 days, and follow it to a T. My grands all trained this way, and no overnight accidents

My son turns 4 in 3 weeks and just barely got the hang on potty training. She just might not be ready ma!

1 Like

She may not be ready. My daughter wasn’t ready until she was almost 3 years old, and one day it just clicked and she started using the potty on her own. My son was the complete opposite! He was almost 5 before he was completely potty trained.

3 Likes

2 is too young…I think youll have more success when shes 3.

All mine was easily trained by 21/2

2 Likes

I didn’t give the option, but I started at 2 1/2 at two I would let them in the bathroom and if they wanted to sit on the potty great if not ok. At 2 1/2 I sat them on the potty every half hour til I figured out how often they really needed to go. I let them pick their treat my oldest picked m&ms so he got two for going pee and three for pooping, my middle picked suckers so one for going.

2 Likes

None of my children responded to me picking a time to potty train.
They will do it, when ready.

For those saying 2 is too young, no its not. It’s a good age to start, put her on the pot every 30 minutes and when you go put her on the potty hopefully you have a kid potty that sits on the floor. Its less scary and intimidating. My oldest potty trained and off the bottle in one night by herself at 19 months.

1 Like

Maybe phrase it differently. Don’t ask

2 is incredibly young to be fully potty trained seriously.

1. Make sure your child is ready for potty training that will ease the training itself. make sure they understand poop pee and being wet. Not every child is ready at the same time and that’s fine. My 19 month old I’m perfectly cool with beginning to introduce him to the potty because he can tell me when he’s done pooping and all that.

If baby is ready then you don’t ask her. You schedule it in intervals. If they go on the potty make a huge deal of it. If they don’t it’s alright. Also accidents are perfectly fine too. Don’t discipline them that is NOT helpful.

If baby isn’t ready she will push back harder against the training and it is no fun for anyone involved. The more frustrated and upset you are with potty training her the harder it will be for her to learn in general it will just not be helpful so I would say you need to step back and make sure that she is ready because it doesn’t sound like she is by your post.

Each child is different, patients,

I walked my daughter to the potty every two hours whether she had to go or not she would sit and try. Then we’d clap and make a big deal when she did go. We even gave her gold star stickers each time for a while. I would say stop asking and just make it a habit. We also took away diapers when we started so she only had a couple accidents before she understood what would happen. Good luck

I waited until my daughter was ready. She had a solid 6 months of dry nights so I knew she could control her bladder. Then I let her pick out her underwear, and told her, you can’t pee on the princesses, I’ll have to throw them away. That was all it took. She got it in one day.

5 Likes

I didn’t start potty training til my kids were 3. My boy is going to be 3 this year and he just started showing interest in going potty in the toilet. Not going to officially start potty training til April when he turns 3 but him showing interest is a good start. Some kids are scared of the bathroom. I know our middle child was scared of pooping in the toilet so she spent about 2-3 weeks pooping herself until she realized it was safe to poop in the bathroom.

Don’t give her the chance to say no. Give her 2 choices that you would be okay with either outcome…when and where kids go is literally the ONLY thing they have 100% control over… pushing it can also cause regression.

1 Like

Don’t ask her. You can put potty time in her schedule, but, she may not be fully ready. She’s going to push back harder if she’s being pushed and not ready, because she’s not understanding why this is a big deal. Put up some underwear pinned to the wall behind or next to the toilet so she can see it and begin to want to wear it. Or start by putting underwear over her pull up or diaper and talk about how awesome it is, then, “now let try just the underwear” Be prepared for an accident, but that may get something to click that she needs to potty to not make a mess. She can also help with the clean up. BUT, if she keeps getting wet underwear all day, she’s probably not ready yet.

1 Like

It’s hard not to be frustrated, however she’s still just a baby.

Bribery. Lmao.
At first I gave my kids “potty pops” just for sitting on the toilet. Then I changed it to you only get one if you make something happen.
My second son refused to potty though so eventually after be gentle about for too long I just sat him on the potty and told him I’d give him privacy and walked away for 2mins.
Talk a big game. Make a huge deal about potties. I CANT BELIEVE YOU DID IT, YAYYYY!!!

1 Like

Don’t ask her. Just tell her let’s go to the toilet, and put her on it. Keep doing it and she will get the hang of it, put a seat on the normal toilet and use that

I’ve potty trained 4 kids and I can tell you NONE of them were fully potty trained at 2! My son is 3 and is fully potty trained and my youngest son is 2 and nowhere near ready.

14 Likes

With my kiddo I had to sit her on it, take her potty with me every. Single. Time. Let her look in the potty when I was done (ick I know) but she was almost 3, we still struggle sometimes and she’s almost 4 now. But you got this, ask her then take her anyways, explain to her how gross pull ups are or put her in panties she picked out, they sell plastic coverings, I got mine on amazon.
Eta lots of small candies too, that has helped drastically!!! Every time she pees I give her a tiny piece, when she poops she gets 2 tiny pieces lol also you’ve got to wait for them to be ready that’s a big one I forgot to add

My daughter used to always follow me into the bathroom so I just bought her a little potty and if she followed me in I had her sit on hers while I used mine. When she would use it I made a big deal of how proud I was if she didn’t I said ok maybe next time and washed out hand and went about our day. She just caught on. If you stress about it it makes them stress.

2yrs old is too young for most toddlers to potty train at that age.
I’d wait another year or so then try again.

3 Likes

Sticker chart beside toilet. Every 5 stars she gets a prize. Start off with one or two stars. Ten is a bigger prize (dollar tree)

Don’t ask her if she needs to go. Tell her it’s time to go sit on the potty & try. I gave my kids 1 m&m just for sitting on the potty. They got 3 if they peed.

Sometimes bribery works. I had a jar of M & M s… then after a couple of weeks, I bought her fancy panties ( ruffles & lace ). She loved them so much that didn’t want to get them dirty.

Doll that pees and read books

I had mine potty trained in 3 weeks at 18 months. No pullups back then. Pullups are a crutch like pacifiers and not needed. Too much like diapers. She’s 2. Probably stubborn. You’re the mom. Don’t ask. Put her on the potty. Stay with her. Read a book. It won’t take long

2 Likes

No she’s not a big girl she’s 2. She’s saying no to try to have some self autonomy. I’m not saying don’t try but she’s 2 don’t be so hard on her.

Some children aren’t ready at 2 yrs.

2 Likes

Who is in charge here? Put her on the potty. Read her a book. Give her an m and m if she is successful\

No its time! :heart: she’s 2 she doesn’t get to say yes or no. Say it’s time to sit on the potty. Amd do that a several times a day. She’s gotta get used to it.

11 Likes

She is not ready yet. Be patient, no child can be forced to potty train and the more you push the more stubborn they will be about it.

1 Like

Shes not ready. U can take her to the bathroom and see if she’ll copy you. But she’s no where near understanding of what’s happening

Get rid of the diapers and pull ups and put cotton training pants on her. Make her take off her wet and dirty panties when she has an accident and have her put on her clean clothes. Make a big deal out of every success and dont make a big deal of accidents. She will now have a reason to go potty. Remember if they can say cookie or cocomelon, they can say potty.

Don’t bother with an actual potty. The seats that go over the toilets are much better and take her to the toilet every time you go

There is no point rushing. Some kids won’t know they need to pee until five years old. You can encourage her to copy you on the toilet or potty, or make a diary of when she’s wet and put her on the toilet or potty half an hour before. This is just catching them rather than them knowing they need to go but saves a lot of money.

Don’t. Sweat. The. Small stuff. Be. Patient

Read oh crap potty training method

My oldest was 2, almost three wen she potty trained. We tried a few things but what worked best was a sticker chart. She got a small sticker for going pee n a big sparkly one for number 2. But we made sure we got some really cool looking stickers that we knew she would want lol. She started peeing so much it turned clear lol

You cannot force it when she’s ready she will go.Get her some Kool panties with her favorite cartoons,do the potty dance.put her on the toilet when she gets up after meals and before bed make it a big deal make it fun.

You really need to study child development

I’d wait till they’re ready. My youngest was 3.5 when she finally potty trained. We tried a few times, but decided to leave it up to her. She legitimately woke up and was like I want big girl pants, and within a few days and Luke maybe 2 accidents she was trained, and a week later trained at night. My other kids that potty trained earlier were in pull ups at night for a year or so, and I felt like waiting helped her mindset be ready for all diaper to be done.

Don’t force the issue or it could cause her to refuse longer. Just offer and when she does wanna go make a fuss about how good she done even just sitting on it. Also recommended putting the potty in a common area

She’s not ready. Pushing it can cause problems in the future. And every 2 year old says no to everything :joy: i doubt she’s trying to be a big girl by saying no to everything

I potty trained mine the week after her 2nd birthday using the 3 day naked method. You really have to pay good attention & watch their cues, but it’s definitely possible. I still don’t “ask” if she needs to go potty. I just take her (4 months in).

Don’t ask just take every 30 minutes undies only

Don’t force the issue if she’s saying no u will just set her back she will let you know when she’s ready herself she won’t like the feeling being dirty I’m a nursery teacher with 20 years experience and a mum to two girls your daughter will let u know when she’s ready there is also books and things too u can use I preferred not to use pull-ups either as they just treat them like a nappy and if u potty train u have to retrain onto the toilet I felt but it depends some children have a fear of the toilet at first so I understand why ppl use them for their kids make it fun lots of praise I sing and dance after one of my toddlers in the nursery go to the toilet and also sing a song wash ur hands song afterwards to the tune of row row row ur boat tune they love it sticker charts are great too x

U can’t ask her she’s too busy being a toddler. U have to make her sit on the potty every 20 mins or so. Even when she says no. Keep a potty seat in the living room or where she is most of the day. My daughter was 3 n my youngest son at almost 5 b4 they got it! Good luck it can be frustrating!

Why are you ASKING her??? She’s 2. Tell her to get on the pot??? Have her sit there for 15 mins and take her every 30/45. Smh

You don’t potty train them by asking them. You have to TEACH her and TAKE her. She’s saying no bc she’s 2 and they know basic words not bc she actually means it​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: