How can I prepare my daughter for starting her period?

So, I have a 10 yr old! She’s showing signs of menstruation. I’m trying to prepare her and myself for this…any tips mommas?

14 Likes

Please, (daughter mommas) do not give or let your daughters use tampons! They are too young and little and they will also cause toxic shock syndrome! :pray::pleading_face::weary:

10 Likes

Buy the products you want her to use and show her how to use them. You can improvise with a tampon.
Get her a small discrete tote to hold a change of underwear, pads, and wipes to put in her bookbag.
Tell her how important it is to clean herself properly and daily in the shower to prevent odors
Tell her to advocate for herself when asking to use the bathroom. Tell her to be specific when asking a 2nd time, if the teacher tells her no initially. She cannot be denied use of the bathroom for medical purposes. If the teacher says no again, tell her to go anyway. Seriously.
And most importantly, assure her this is nothing to be ashamed of. She should not be embarrassed for being a woman!
Good luck!

I was almost 13, I told mom I was bleeding, other than handing me a pad told me blue line down , I figured it out on my own. Just answer her questions honestly. You will figure the right words

My girls started the month they turned 10. I’ve always been SUPER open with them so they knew a head of time but when they started puberty I just told them the reason we have our period and it’s normal and natural. Got them all different types of products so they could see what works best for them. When they were younger period underwear was a life saver especially at night.

2 Likes

I’ve been very open and honest with my girls from the moment they could understand.You could make a little period pack for her.Id do a lot purse with like 3-4 different pads,a little thing of chocolate,extra undies for those,well crap days.A little note letting her know that you love her(Even tho I’m sure you tell her daily)just having a little note just sits differently.

5 Likes

I talked to my daughter about it. Then I went out and bought a little bag and we put everything she might end in it. Pads, underwear and a pair of pants. She keeps it in her back pack in case she needs it while she is at school.

2 Likes

Idk. I’ve been talking about periods with my daughter since she was like 2 :woman_shrugging: she’s now 6 and I can ask her to bring me tampons from the other bathroom if I need it and she doesn’t freak at the sight of that kind of blood. I wouldn’t make it a huge thing. It’s a part of life. I was also the same way with my son who’s 7. She’s going to want to know if it hurts. Say no. Don’t bring up cramps until it becomes necessary IF it becomes necessary. No need to scare her over something that may not even happen.

1 Like

I bought an American Girl brand book. I believe it’s called the young girls guide to her body, something along those lines. I’ll find a pic and put in the comment below.
But I love it bc it discussed hygiene, beginning stages of puberty, your first period etc without going into too much detail. I bought it when my daughter was almost 8 and let her read it then, she is 10 now. I found the 2nd book at goodwill and bought it but havent went into that one yet bc it is for when they are a little bit older. I’ll go find a pic real quick.

3 Likes

Tips please :pray: my daughter is 11 and just a started and she literally cried herself to sleep, I have had so many “talks” about this since she was 7! But she refuses to believe this can and will happen! Even at the puberty video her teacher reached out because she became so emotional during said video :disappointed: I tried to talk to her about the video and she would run off and cry! I’m lost my older 2 girls were excited to get theirs not my baby! :sob:

1 Like

Make her a “makeup bag” explain what will happen and what to do with the items in the bag. Sanitizer, baby or feminine wipes, pads, change of undies, black leggings and travel Motrin.

5 Likes

I had my daughter bring a jacket to school every day in case of an accident since I was lucky enough to have one to tie around my waist so I can get to the office to call my mom that day. There’s nothing more embarrassing then walking to the office to call your mom with a period stain on the back of your clothes. Then I told her to just say I’m not feeling well can you come pick me up and I will come no question asked ( since there’s usually the student office assistant sitting right there listening) no need for her to know your business.

1 Like

My daughter hasn’t started hers yet. She’s the last of all of her friends. But she’s had period panties for about a year now and pads, tampons, and panty liners under her bathroom sink.let her know if she’s in a bind- like at school, she can stuff some toilet paper down there until she can get to the nurse or borrow something from a friend (if she’s embarrassed to carry it in her bookbag). Also, watch “Are you there God, It’s me Margaret.” It’s a very fun movie to open up the conversation.

1 Like

My girls 10 on Thursday, what are the signs? She’s got a bit more of an attitude and started wearing bras but I don’t know what I’m looking out for :see_no_evil:

My daughter is the same age. For now I just told her that in the near ish future she’s going to have what’s called a menstrual cycle, or a period, and she’s going to bleed out of her v@gina when she goes to the bathroom. It’s perfectly normal and all she needs to do is tell the school nurse or if she doesn’t feel comfortable with that, just call me. Then at that point I’ll take care of it and we will have a deeper chat about the mechanics.
I feel sometimes it’s hard to prepare them without throwing them into big kid/adult stuff too soon and scaring them too. But they do need to be aware of the changes to their body so they don’t panic​:woman_shrugging:t2::sweat_smile:

I have 3 girls. My oldest was 12 when she started my youngest was 9! My middle hasn’t started yet and she’s 11, showing all the signs though. I’ve always been open with my girls as to what a period is, minus the baby making part. I’ve made them what we call “period pouches” to keep in their back packs and stuff. It’s basically a make up bag that has pads and a clean pair of underwear. Thankfully my youngest isn’t like me and her period doesn’t effect her that much at all other then being a bit more emotional then normal. I start then with pads figure out what brand and size works for them. My oldest is almost 15 she started with pads, but started to use tampons as she got older. It’s a whole lot of trial-and-error till yall figure out what works for her. I was VERY stressed out when I found out my youngest started. I’ve heard of girls starting that young, but boy I wasn’t ready for it. Overnight pads or depends work great at night too!

Just be honest and help her manage the things she needs and tell her to expect pain. Womenhood starts after getting your 1st menstruation. My sisters and I will always tell to my daughter. Don’t let anyone touch you. Protect yourself.

Be open and make sure theyvare aware its not embarrassing xx Talk to her explain everything and what the options are xx put what she wants into period bag for school x my kid was well prepared and never told me untill a couples months after as she thought she was gonna have spotting 1st as this is possible but she didnt and went straight into starting xx she used pads for a few months, then period pants now after 6 months is on tampons xx which she new how to use before hand :raised_hand: easy transition she was 9 yrs and 10 months old when she started x all my kids have seen over the years me having period and what i use ect and asked questions so not a shock my experience was horrible and i was sheltered from it all and i cried and wanted to go home but the school wouldn’t let me and made me wesr this massive thick pad and stay at school and go back to class

I had the “talk” with my daughter, I showed her how to use the tools (pads tampons) and I made a little kit for her backpack, incase it happened at school. Kit included clean panties, couple pads and some wipes.

1 Like

Normalize it as a part of life, don’t make it weird or a big deal and once it happens move on with life.

5 Likes

I have 2 girls who are 11 and 17. Both had the talk around the same age… 3rd/4th grade. We went over peer pressure, sex, menstruation, pregnancy and birth, and contraceptive options. My 17yo didn’t start until 15 and had all the signs from about 5th/6th grade. My 11yo doesn’t have any signs of puberty, so she’ll probably start late as well. We plan to do a refresher when she starts middle school next year and again when she starts high school if she doesn’t have it yet. I swear girls learn more from their friends than us parents tho :woman_facepalming:

Talk to her, be open and honest. And most importantly tell her not to feel ashamed of it cause most of from the 90s it was hush, hush and nobody talked about it.

Buy the products required for her body and predicted flow BEFORE she gets her first period and show her how to use it BEFORE her first period. That way if you arent around she can be okay

Just explain it the best you can give her a little bag to put in her back pack show her how to use the pads in little shower bag pack black leggings a pair of undies her favorite candy bar and some liners and a couple bigger pads

My daughter is 12 and started hers at 9. I talked to her about how all girls have them. I showed her how to put the pads on and how to properly take them off roll them in toilet paper n throw them away. Not to hard just be open with her and let her know it’s ok.

I put a waterproof bag in the bottom of my daughters back pack with a couple pairs of panties, black leggings, wipes and pads. Incase she started at school.
A cute little make up bag works well and is less noticeable to others if she was to have it in her hand. Cute little purse works as well.
I talked with my girls all the time. We would practice putting pads on so when the time came they knew what to do.
Both my girls knew what they needed to do and when they did start it was no big deal to them. They actually didn’t want us making a big deal of it. They let me know and that was it. Both my kids have huge sensory issues and I was worried but we helped prepare them and they were fine.
Always and u by cotex Both sell tween sized pads that worked well for young girls just starting

1 Like

Just tell her all about it, be honest, and tell her it’s normal and ok!

I started having this conversation way before it even happened so she knew what was going to happen

Omg I’m gonna have my first babygirl after 2 boys. I am reading y’all’s advice too. I plan to start the conversation around 7-8. I got mine at 9 years old! :tired_face::sob::sob:

Here for tips. Mine is 11.

I bought this book for my girls we’ve been reading little my little to help prepare them and me. There was things in this book I didn’t know until I had my oldest so I’m making sure my girls learn the things I didn’t know but wish I knew earlier

My daughter started when she was 8, I wasn’t expecting it at all so young… turns out it’s normal now! Anyways, she would always ask me what tampons were when I bought them and I would always tell her, for my period but never went into much detail. When she got it, I told her it was her period and she asked me what it was and I told her why woman get their period / a more in-depth conversation about it since she was going through it. We bought a few different pads / sizes etc and she has no problems with asking for them/ telling me she has her period.

I don’t think I would have had the talk before she started her period but I think telling her mommy bleeds every month, it’s just a period … that she will have hers soon too when asking about the tampons really helped her understand and not feel weird about telling me.

I have a quick question. I see a lot of mamas talking about noticing “signs” that menstruation is coming soon. What kind of signs do you notice??

My daughter’s 12 and still didn’t start but she keeps a little zippy bag with supplys in her back pack and we talk about it often the hormonal part of it and the emotions that come with it, cramps and to stay calm if she starts at school to just stay calm it’s a normal occurrence.

My 10 year old just started at the beginning of the school year. If yours is comfortable with it I highly recommend making a plan with her teacher, guidance counselor & school nurse on what to do in school if she starts in school. Saves a lot of embarrassment for the child & everyone involved. Even though it shouldn’t be, we all know how other kids are. She has her own to go bag with extra panties & wipes! Weve also been helping her understand what’s happening to her body other than just a “you’re a woman now” speech.

My girls have known about periods forever… with that being said only one of them has started and i made her a period pack to keep in her bookbag that had pads, wipes, an extra pair of underwear. I also shown her how to correctly put on and dispose of a pad properly, the more u talk about it the less awkward itll be

If you haven’t, then talk with her and explain things. I was always open with my daughter about periods prior but I know many aren’t the same. I would also suggest, getting her a small-ish makeup bag and filling it with an extra pair of panties, wipes, and some different sized pads for her to keep in her book bag.

I’d start her wearing period undies so she is at least protected in case it happens. Give her the protection she needs and explain it to her so it’s not a total surprise

I started talking about periods with my daughter when she was about 6, because she started asking questions. But when she turned 10 we had a more intense conversation about it and I sat her down and explained how it’s a very normal part of life. And she has what I call a period pack in your back pack for school just in case she starts at school. With a few panty liners and pads, a change of undies, hand sanitizer, and some hand wipes and a ziplock baggie. We have weekly to bi weekly conversations about if there’s anything changing with her body that she wants to talk about and I always remind her that it’s part of life and every single one of her female teachers will understand if she needs any help while at school. She also typically carries a little puddle or back pack around when we go out and she has those items in there too! I also encourage her to always offer them to her friends if they are in need or if they ask because us girls gotta stick together!

Ruby love first period box. I promise you want it. Open it with your daughter as soon as it comes in and both of u go over it every couple weeks. Tons of fun stuff for her plus info book on her level. Has period panties too

My mom always explained it to me so when it happened I already knew what it was. She then showed me how to put a pad on and change and what I would be feeling etc.

Why Karen laugh react?? Does the lady have something against periods???

My girls had that talk at an early age…it’s part of being a female.

why tf would someone angry react to this??