How can I slowly stop pumping?

My baby is almost four weeks old, and I’m not producing breast milk very much… I pump and formula feed. I would say about 90% formula feed… I had a c section and ended up with a wound VAC and still have it in plus I am diabetic and have gastroparesis, so it’s taking a lot out of my body… Plus, my husband has no patience lately, and I know he feels like he has to do everything, and I feel bad… My question is, how is the best way to slowly stop pumping that won’t hurt my boobs? They get rock hard and hurt but like I said I’m probably only getting 3 to 4 oz at a time with both breast, sometimes even less :sleepy: no judgment please I already feel horrible and like a burden on every One

6 Likes

Start spreading out the hours between pumps slowly. Good luck. It’ll be ok.

That’s a lot for that age. If you want to keep breastfeeding I suggest cutting out formula.

But I heard Benadryl dries you up.

3 Likes

Cabbage leaves on your boobs helps. You can also cut out formula and exclusively pump and try lactation cookies or body armor drinks to help boost your supply. Also look for support groups on Facebook

5 Likes

That’s amazing output for pumping! If you would like to continue breastfeeding you need to stop with the formula…sounds like you got stuck it the top up track. Baby that age should be getting fed on demand straight from the breast. If you need to pump and bottle feed baby should be getting no more then 3 or 4 oz at each feeding and should be pace fed with preemie nipples. Please join The Breast Republic support group for amazing advice and support. You can do this Mama!

1 Like

I was pumping 6 times a day and when I stopped pumping (for boob pain fear lol) it took me 6 weeks. Do normal one week, then 5 times a day for a weeks, 4 times a day for a week and so on. After I was down to one time a day it was for 15 mins for a couple days, 10 mins, 5 mins. But I never had any pain. It was a dreadfully slow process but so much better then hurting

1 Like

Cabbage :leafy_green: leaves on your boobs and rap them

1 Like

Just stop pumping one time each day. So if you pump every 3 hours, skip one time. Do it a couple of days then skip two times then so on. The other thing that you can do is freeze lettuce or cabbage leaves and throw them in the bra when your sore. Once the leaves thaw just throw them out. I breastfed first a couple of weeks with my first but the diabetes kicked my butt so I stopped. Second kid I breastfed once and only once when he was laid on my chest for skin to skin while they stitched my c section up. Hot showers and hand expressing in the shower helped me a lot to relieve the pain and pressure from full boobs. Nursing pads are a life saver too especially overnight. For whatever reason with my first I barely produced anything but with my second I was soaking thru bras and shirts multiple times a day. Definitely wear things that are comfy and easy to change if you manage to leak a lot. But definitely warm compress a few times a day if you’re able to at home and hand expressing helps.

I also have gastroparesis and was unable to breast feed due to not producing enough. I just stopped. No pumping… it hurt like hell for a couple days. A fed baby is a happy baby… so don’t feel shamed by trying to stop.

Sounds like the majority of people didn’t understand the question/concern. I was the same way after my C-section, could not produce enough milk and when it was time to stop I had mastitis too. Try slowly increasing the times between pumping and hand expression of hard breasts really helps as well…gets the milk out but doesn’t naturally tell the body to produce more like baby sucking does.

You actually get more breast milk while baby is latching. They have different movements and suctions then a pump. You’ll always get more with baby then pump. But also no judgment cause I quit after a month :joy:

1 Like

Cabbage leaves nice and cold will help…they helped me after my youngest.

For 4 w you’re getting quite a bit, but you gotta pump 7+ times a day. Im 8w, almost 9w exclusively pumping and the rock hardness has gotten better. The let down is still stinging. My baby still barely drinks more than 3oz during a feeding. I over supply atm though. For reducing your milk, when you use cabbage leaves, use them from the fridge, use the middle leaves from the head, crush the vein before inserting. Stay away from heat, cold compress is best. Pain meds for the pain, a Tylenol ibrophen mix helps with pain and swelling. Any antihistamines help dry you out. Not hot shower, or let the shower spray on back. Bind breasts, but not too tight. Im proud of you for going this far with health problems. I thought i was going to give up after my csection since my emergency csection with my stillborn was awful, but I felt really good after this planned csection. I wish I could get my babies to latch. This one almost did, but then it was like sike lol… other than the dishes I enjoy pumping anyway.

Wrap them tightly and within days the pain should go away. I remember tylenol helped if you can take that.

Nurse told me that I could wear a tight sports bra and avoid heat such as during showers. It worked for me.

3-4 oz is awesome! So I don’t know who told you your pumping output is low.

1 Like

I think you are getting alot!

Slowly drop down the length of time you pump. You can also try pumping just to relieve the discomfort. The less you pump the less you’ll produce. Do not pump until your breasts are empty. This will stimulate your body to make more milk.

Just stop and when they hurt take a warm shower a little warmer than you normally would and then express milk from them by hand. This is exactly what I did for both kids.

Use a tight fitting bra and stop pumping and just wait eventually the milk will dry up. If you have pain let warm water run over the breast in the shower that should help. Best of luck!

I slowly would just cut out a pumping session a day. It will hurt for a bit but not long. Stop breastfeeding entirely. Your body actually produces more milk when a baby latches vs just pumping. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad if you want to stop but also doesn’t hurt to continue to do both for as long as you want. But is a pain in the butt having to pump when you don’t have to. Ice to your boobs will help me. Ibuprofen or tylenol to help pain with stopping

I went longer and longer between pumping each day. One day I just decided I was done and didn’t pump anymore. My breasts hurt for a day or two and then they were fine.

cabbage in ur bra going to bed it draws out the milk it works

That’s a huge output on your boobs! You’ve an amazing supply. If your boobs are hard they are too full. If you want to continue consider trying full time feeding. If you want to dry up cabbage leafs. Pumping isn’t a sign of supply. It’s easy to over feed a formula baby as they take more cause its thicker but with breast it’s normal to feed little and often. Sounds more so that you had cluster feeding and didn’t know the signs and thought it was low milk when it’s actually baby building supply

I would first start pumping just enough to relieve yourself. Do not pump to empty them. & after that just start cutting the amount of pumping sessions one by one. It’ll still be uncomfortable but better than just stopping cold turkey.

5 Likes

Weird. Pumping is what killed my supply to begin with. I couldn’t BF and almost lost a breast.

I just waited longer and longer between pumping. If you can’t I would just pump maybe just to get relief and then stop. You do what you want to do, I felt like a cow (the pump sound doesn’t help) and if you need to talk to someone, reach out

1 Like

Frozen cabbage in your bra works like a charm hun. Pump just enough to relieve yourself and rip off a frozen cabbage leaf and stuff it in your bra. I’ve done it with both of my boys. You will be much happier :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

My LC told my to gently massage breasts in the shower and hand express to feel relieve then stop. And after keep them wrapped in ace bandage and tight sport bras when it feels like there rock solid again, shower, massage, hand express, repeat! Hope this helps!

1 Like

Cabbage leaf in your bra.

1 Like

I know this isn’t what you’re asking, but for me I had to increase my milk production before I could wean from pumping. Body armor drinks are amazing for helping increase your production, and pumping hurts less.

You are not a burden. If you need to talk to someone, please feel free to DM me - you are doing your best!

Allergy meds if you want to quickly stop. Slowly stopping is just cutting one session out every 3 days.

First. Do you want to nurse? There are ways to do that without pumping cause Pumping will never be as efficient as a baby. And 3-4 ounces is typical for most pumpers. Yes you have super pumpers who can get 8 ounces but that’s not realistic for everyone.

If you want to just switch to formula and not bother nursing or pumping you can slowly take away a session, Benadryl helps dry you up and the cabbage leaves help relieve engorgement and helps prevent mastitis as you wean.

Along with lots of cabbage leaves I drank a lot of a no more milk herbal tea I purchased on Amazon.

Nice hot showers help also U can massage them in there and get some relief

Try using a towel in some warm water wet towel with some warm water and then put it on your breast the milk will come out

Pumping always hurt more to me. I just let the baby nurse enough so that my boobs wouldn’t explode, then give bottle to finish feeding.

You are definitely NOT a burden to anyone or horrible! I’m so sorry that you’re having this experience. Please take care of yourself and get well soon :green_heart:. Congratulations on your new baby!

I stopped pumping a few days before my son turned one, but about three weeks before I started increasing the length of time between pumping sessions and decreasing the length of the session. Every four days or so I’d drop a session until I pumped once/day for 15 minutes, then finally only if my breasts were hard and sore. Tylenol was also very helpful. Good luck!

No way 2 get around it ur boobs will be engorged when u stop no matter what they make stuff 2 help milk supply but I was one of those mothers that didn’t produce enough either. Some moms just dont and that’s ok.

You’re definitely not a burden!!! Don’t let post Partum depression get you down, don’t be afraid to let your doctor know you are struggling. As for the question, I never wrapped mine. (I breastfed for 6 months exclusively) my supply was so low towards the end. I knew I wasn’t making a whole lot. And it just kinda dried up on its own after I switched to formula. It was very difficult trying to switch my baby over bc she didn’t like a bottle. But I agree with the othet people. Pump until you relieve yourself but don’t pump to empty. Skip every other pumping session and eventually your supply will be so low you won’t be able to pump anymore. Good luck mama!

peppermint!! You can take peppermint oil in capsules and peppermint tea! Also sage oil.

There is alot going on here.

1 Like

Warm showers and massage… It lets down milk…

1 Like

I would pump just enough to take pressure off dont pump til empty then slow down the number of times u pump from say every 2 hrs to every 4 hrs then every6 hrs then every 8 until ur pumping 1 time a day to nothing

10 Likes

3-4 oz a session is actually really good ! I have no advice but good luck !

7 Likes

You sound like you have been thru a lot and need to heal yourself as well. Hang in there ! You can get thru this. It isn’t a failure not to breast feed

7 Likes

Hand expression dont pump when they hard and painful, small amounts of tylenol can also help to dry it up. Avoid beer, rootbeer, or anything known to help produce milk

I didn’t breast feed at all, but my breasts were full all the time and definitely produced more than needed (I regret not breast feeding my daughter)

Either way, my midwife, and nurses gave me ace bandages to wrap as tight as I could stand and was told to do cold compressions 4 times a day for 15-20 min.

1 Like

Do you want to breastfeed or are you totally done with it? If you’re totally done with it tell your OB he can prescribe something. If you want to breastfeed then try supplements, they really help! Oatmeal, smoothies, supplement pills help me a ton. We are exclusively bf

I was in your shoes 3 months ago. Csection and vac wound as well. My supply never got over 4oz a pumping session and that was when they were full otherwise I got about 2 oz. I just cut back how often I pumped and only took a little bit out. And after about a week I was almost dried up and by 2 weeks I was dry.

The more you bottle feed the less youll produce. Formula fills babies up way more than breast milk because it takes longer to digest. 3 to 4oz is perfect for the age of your young one. Feed everytime the babys hungry, dont wait til your breast are rock hard to pump, warm showers or compresses help you flow a lot easier. If your trying to stop breastfeeding cold conpresses, leaving cabbage leaves on your breast dry your milk up.

Lay hot towels across them and hand express a little to relieve some. Than cold cabbage leaves in the bra help.

3 Likes

Cabbage leaves for pain was what I was reccomended before i left the hospital if needed. I think it might have also been to dry up mill as well. But id say even if every time you pump you add 10 minutes apart it will get you there! Stay strong and hang in there.

3 Likes

Fed is best! And so is to ur health! Perhaps maybe start spreading the pumping out by an hour each time?

1 Like

I have type 1 diabetes and gastroparesis so I definitely know how you feel!! You’re going through so much right now :pensive: when I decided to stop breastfeeding I honestly just let my breast stay full and engorged. I maybe pumped once to relieve myself but after a day or two of discomfort my breast slowly went back to normal. And I did this twice. I don’t have great advice but I just wanted you to know that you’re not alone!! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I did it by skipping every other scheduled pumping. Then after 2 weeks of that I lengthened how often I did it. For instance I started doing it every 2 hours when my son was first born but he stopped eating due to medical problems so I slowed to first to doing it every 4 hours and pumping about half as normal for 2 weeks then every 6 hours and cutting how much I pump again by half for 2 weeks then only doing it twice a day just until you feel relief. If your breast start getting hard and painful during this stand in the shower under the water as hot as you can handle it and massage them. That really really helps. Then go down to once a day for about a week or so and you should do ok. It’s a slow process over a month (about 5 weeks) but it’ll reduce how muchpain stopping pumping causes this way. The first time I made the mistake of stopping too fast. This way I had minimal issues

My 5mo is formula fed and has been since basically day one. He ended up in the NICU at another hospital than the one I delivered at after having an emergency cesarean. He’s doing amazing and hitting every milestone with gusto, so don’t worry about how it will affect your little one! Formula is so much better than it used to be!

That being said I was separated from him for over a week and struggled with supply, so to deal with not having my baby around to help keep up my supply I used lots of cold compresses, warm showers that I expressed enough to relieve pain, and took some Tylenol to help. It was uncomfortable for the first two weeks but the section pain kept my mind off of it. Sports bras or no bras helped me a ton until I was able to start wearing my usual ones, and sitting and gently massaging helped ease it as well.

Good luck! You’re not horrible by any means

Cabbage leaves and ace bandages wrapped tight. Hot showers and increase more formula! Good luck

Talk to your Dr. He may give you something to help.dru up what little milk.you are producing and tell.you things you can do to.rase the pain

3-4 ounces is awesome ! But if you’re adamant about stopping just put a cabbage leaf in your bra cups , that will dry them up . Good luck :heart:

At 4 weeks old that amount is sufficient for a feeding i have been pumping since i had my daughter early at 34 weeks and she had to start with a feeding tube then bottle now she has started to take the breast at 4 months old i also had a c section what helped boost my supply was lactation cookies

It sounds like you need to be kind to yourself mama! Just slowly ween off by not pumping as much. Instead of pumping 4x a day pump 3x, do that for a week then go down to 2x etc

Cabbage leaves inside a tight bra. The leaves excrete a protein that dries up milk production. This is very fast so it won’t be a tapering off.

1 Like

For me I stopped all together and massaged my breasts until they dried up. Do not feel bad either. I could breastfeed I just really didn’t want to it takes a lot of patience and time away from my other child.

2 Likes

I was the same way. We tried and tried and tried. Sometimes your body just can’t take It. I just stopped I pumped once to relieve the pressure after 2 days then I pretty much started to dry up I also squeezed out only a little in the shower to relieve the pain

Put the cabbage leafs in the fridge then crinkle then before shoving them in a tight bra. The juices in the veins help you dry up. You might be sore a couple days but after that you should be good. Any pumping will just encourage more production of milk. Pumping will only ease the pain for a little while.

Feel loved mama. Cause you have been through alot. My prayers are with you. I have been down that road but I was able to push thru. I formula feed and still offer the breast.

I was advised disposable nappy with a cup of water frozen in it stuffed in the bra as doesn’t smell like the cabbage it dried me up in about 3 days when the pain of engagement got bad I had a shower and just expressed enough to get rid of the pain so not to produce a lot more milk a tight bra helps too and didn’t hold baby close to breast for those couple of days

I exclusively breastfeed and don’t pump unless I have to. When I do pump I only pump about 4 ounces. I’ve heard that’s completely normal. My baby is 7 months old now and growing well according to her pediatrician. If you really want to quit then cabbage helped me with my first baby.

Put cabbage leaves on the sides of your breasts. It’ll dry them up and fast. Momma of 5 soon to be 6!

I just want to first mention that the amount you get from a pump is a little less than what you actually make in your breast so you may be making up to 5oz. But 3-4oz is absolutely wonderful! your baby should be taking 2-3oz per feeding so it sounds like you are making exactly what you need. So if you want to continue breastfeeding I would cut down on your formula feeding, But it sounds like you are feeling very overwhelmed and that is normal. If what you want is to stop breastfeeding all together then you don’t want to empty your breasts with the pump because your body will continue to make the milk. You can pump just enough to relieve your breasts some, you can use cabbage leaves, warm and cold compresses, and you can take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. It will take time but you will eventually dry up. I am of course always encouraging to continue breastfeeding but I do understand that for some women it is just too hard and its not anyones business to judge you. If you would like any help or have any questions feel free to email me or check out my instagram @kd_healthtalk. I am a Certified Lactation Counselor and I am happy to help you with whatever you need and with absolutely no judgement. And Congratulations on your new baby!

3-4 oz at 4 weeks is amazing hun.
If you feel like you need to produce more try cluster pumping to emulate cluster feeding

You do not need to justify your reasons to not breastfeed. I hate that people are so rude to mom’s for needing to feed their babies an alternative way that people feel the need to justify why they’re doing it.
You can stop at any time. I stopped because I had to go to work and my breasts just did not respond to the pump. Any reason is a good reason, it’s your body so its your choice.

1 Like

Pumping is not an accurate indicator of milk supply!!!

Mothers milk can help dry you up! It’s supposed to help you produce more, but for me, it dried me up.

Don’t feel bad mama :heart: You brought an amazing little one into this world and you should not feel bad or like a burden to anyone, with birth comes many complications and hard days for everyone. None of these health issues are your fault, do what you can when you can, your body will heal soon. Sending love and positive energy your way :heart:

Badass Breastfeeding Mamas is a Facebook group and have some amazing admins. I don’t know how to tag them, but please look it up and join. They will be able to offer advice, help, and support. Good luck mama, and congratulations on your sweet mini. :heart:

When I had my little one my went rock solid and so painful for a good few days even slightly brushing past them! I was told for it to go quicker avoid anything touching them and try not to have the shower direct on them as this can set it all off again! If they get red patches or itchy speak to your midwife/health visitor incase you have got an infection. But most of all love yourself mama! You did an amazing thing and your body has been through so much :heart:

Ask your doctor , there are bills for this

3 to 4 oz is great at 4 weeks. Remember baby’s tummy is only the size of an egg. Also your still regulating your milk production. The more you take out milk the more you make. If baby is eating more than 4 oz per feeding session look into pacefeeding. Baby really doesn’t need more tham 4 oz. But of your dead set on stopping pump for shorter times and cut back on pumping. But for sure check our Badass Breastfeeding Mama great FB group

Call the Australian Breastfeeding Association or your local La Leche League. A qualified breastfeeding counsellor can give you advice. The internet is full of Misinformation.

You are NOT a burden to anyone!! Hubby has to suck it up and step up! You didn’t get pregnant alone! And I have 5 kids and never breastfed any of them, they’re all healthy adults now, and all I ever did was put warm towels on them, they will feel uncomfortable for a couple of days but it’ll get easier and you won’t even noticed they stoped bothering.
Good luck with everything momma, don’t ever feel ashamed, we mommas go through enough to feel guilty about trying our best, healing vibes sent your way​:heartbeat: and congratulations on the new bundle :blush: