How can I start potty training my 18-month-old?

Hey mamas! Does anyone have any advice on potty training for an 18 month old boy?? Truthfully I don’t even know where to start!

6 Likes

Every child is different. Dont rush it. 18 months is kinda young to start.

14 Likes

I started my kids early my daughter was 13 months fully potty trained, took me a month she me was very smart. She was like a little Matilda she did every fast and my son he was 17 month’s .

Be consistant, i put the potty infront of tv …would sit n give a cookie or toy to play… then after moved it to bathroom. Then straight on toilet …if child does not sit on potty try toilet seat cover potty… give lots of praise when they do go.

When he wakes up from a nap and is dry, you can start to try. 18 months is a little young, in my opinion. When I trained my 3 boys, I let them stand on a stool and I threw a few Cheerios or fruit loops in the potty to see if they could hit them. It worked for me! Good luck.

5 Likes

I’d wait until they’re ready. Starting too soon can push it off even longer.

1 Like

My baby sitter bribed (rewarded) my daughter with Oreos . Worked like a charm.

Don’t. Wait until their at least two unless they can tell you they need a wee.

He might not be ready. But show him the potty if you let him run around with no diaper he starts to pee put him on it.

1 Like

Buy a nice potty training with cartoons characters in and put next to the toilet bowl. Invite him every now and then to go with you. Later, buy a step and put a nice lid on your own toilet bowl for him

Just wanted to say that if he’s not showing signs of knowing when he has to go or caring that he’s wet, now is not the time to potty train him. You’ll just wind up frustrating yourself and him. In my experience, boys take longer so just keep that in mind. My little boy is 3.5 and is potty trained through the day but still not completely at night. What worked for us is letting him run around the house without a diaper. He never had accidents on the floor and went straight for the potty.

1 Like

Stay inside for like three days straight and keep him naked. Take a training potty in whatever room you are in.

Puppy pads under the training potty are a LIFESAVER when it comes to boys.

I started mine at 18 months and was completely done in 2 months. 18 months is not too young.

5 Likes

When I ran a day home I was potty training a few kids at a time. I would have them sit on the potty and let them dip their hand in a bowl of water for no longer than 5 mins. If nothing happened I would try again in an hour or so then reward and celebrate if they pee’d! Pooping on the other hand would be on their time and when they would realize and hide when they were doing it meant they new it was going to happen and I would rush them to the potty to do their job. Even if it was only a bit we would celebrate and reward.

Mine was potty trained at 18 months. She got a potty on her 1st birthday and showed interest so we did it. Read up on 3 day potty training. It really works. I was a ECD teacher and did 15kids at the same time with this method.

1 Like

He’s too young mama. More trouble than it’s worth

To young especially for boys. They take a little longer.

1 Like

Just buy a little potty seat and set it next to your toilet and take him every time you need to go unless you know how long it takes for him to need use the potty after he eat n drink and set him on it while you pretend to go potty…

My son wouldn’t potty train until he was 3 :melting_face: boys take longer than girls

1 Like

He’s a little young to start. But, if you live in the country or have a privacy fence you can let him run around with out a diaper. But boys usually aren’t ready till 2 to 3 yrs old

8 Likes

Is he aware of when he has to go, or does he tell you right after so he can be cleaned up? If so, it’s time to start. I recommend spending a few days at home letting him run around naked. Put a potty in the room he plays in and bring it when you changed rooms. Offer often for him to try and go. Give him lots of water so he has to pee a lot. I made a basket with color with water things and books to read while they tried and rewarded with stickers, one for them and one for our homemade sticker chart. Make a big deal when he goes. When the chart was full we went to the store and picked a toy and big girl undies. Good luck. And keep the cleaners nearby.

2 Likes

Buy a potty for each room. Sit him on it, every chance you get.

Wait until he is ready and be aware that often boys take longer developmentally to fully potty train. Unless he is verbally telling you everytime he is or has to pee/poop then he likely isn’t ready.

Why do people wish their babies to grow up before their time, I’m a qualified nursery nurse, not a lot babies are potty trained at this time, I get it if there showing signs and WANTING to go to the potty but don’t push it on your child

1 Like

Man half these comments.
Potty training shouldn’t be this hard. If you wait until they are ready they will train themselves over night. Remember potty training is developmental not when you are ready.

29 Likes

Wait until he’s ready. Mines 2.5 and tells me when she wees and poops in her nappy but won’t use a potty or toilet, won’t have no nappy on unless in the bath, she’ll try again when she’s ready. You’ll know when he’s ready.

1st you have to make sure he’s ready. Just because you are doesn’t mean he is

2 Likes

Fruit loop as targets. A book in hand on potty chair running water. Right after a drink potty

That is too young. They have to be neurologically ready, as well as psychologically

1 Like

Many children aren’t even physically capable before the age of 2,I agree with the person that says boys take longer, and I’m my experience that’s true… I have 2 boys, one was 4 but he had other delays too, and one was 3, And my daughter was 2, she was doing good and then regressed back a little at 4 when I had her baby brother.

Take away the diapers and pull ups . Buy thick training pants . Explain they are for big boys. Buy them in a character he loves like Paw Patrol. My granddaughter got Frozen training pants. Took one week . Using pull-ups defeats the purpose. They need to feel the wet .

Girls potty train earlier and easier than boys ( most boys). My daughter was 18/ 20 mo off the bottle and no diaper.

Don’t until he shows readiness signs and pause at pushbacks.

At 18 months I wouldn’t even waste my time. Most kids aren’t ready til 3 or 4. Sometimes not even then.

Most of the time the parents are lazy. Easier to put a diaper on

1 Like

For all those that say boys take longer than girls, that is simply NOT TRUE. ALL KIDS are different. Start by just having your child sit on a small potty and don’t force him/her to pee or poop. Make it fun, if they potty, praise them- even act goofy.

I had my daughter fully potty trained by 18 months. I let her run around in underwear during the day with a potty chair setting in the living room. She was so excited to go use it. If I had to pee I’d take her to the bathroom with me and tell her I was using it. We made a game out of it.

Just stst say ok let’s go potty then take him every 30 min . Dont ask just say let’s go .

As a peds nurse I learned that neurologically kids arent ready til age 2 at least, some til 3 or 4. Not in the smarts sense, but they dont have the nerve control yet.

Not until age 2 do toddlers have control of sphincter muscles allowing potty training.