How can I stop being upset over this?

Hello moms… I don’t know how to stop myself from feeling upset over this. My brother in law graduated and I’m so happy for him! We were unable to go but I did message and congratulated him. Few days later its my brothers graduation , my sisters birthday and my sons last day in Pre-K! It was a day full of emotions. Now , I put pictures up on Facebook as all do. My husbands grandma called me instantly , me thinking it was to congratulate them… instead she told me her daughter’s birthday were coming up as well as her granddaughter and that we need to do something, because thats a big day for HER daughters . My mother in law didn’t congratulate them either but congratulated everyone else on her side of the fam… this is eating me up… am i overreacting? How can i stop having this affect me…

13 Likes

It’s ok to feel the way you do. But I would try to blow it off. Maybe she just wants to make sure your part if her family get together bc she really enjoys your company.

1 Like

To my husband’s grandmama tell them I sorry I’m sorry I can’t be there but tell them all I said hey I’m thinking about them on their big day

Take the high road and just issue broad congratulations to anyone who ever took a breath

1 Like

Ignore people like that!!!

2 Likes

“Oh, thanks for the update. Let me know if I can help YOU in anyway. I’m available on ,,and _ this week!”

I would blow it off. People are going to react how they see fit and all we can do is control our own reactions. Be the bigger person and show them it don’t bother you instead of being petty and causing drama.

6 Likes

I mean yes it would bother me a bit but honestly I would just ignore them. If they don’t want to be nice then they don’t deserve your attention.

Say something if you want to but make sure your coming from a grounded and well balanced place by using intellect over emotions. It’s not petty. It’s how you say it or address it and is not necessarily what you say so I would try to be thoughtful about how you say it or approach it.

If you know someone who has a lot of professional experience and is logical type or even a therapist they can help you come up with a few good sentences on how to word it. I usually write a long page and then after I talk to my sister and give myself some time I can condense what I need to say down to a paragraph.

It’s also not your responsibility to arrange someone else’s party. It’s not necessarily wrong for her to ask.

3 Likes

Bight your tongue and say nothing is my advice, two wrongs never made a right.

Tell her they are her side of the family and SHE needs to plan something!

5 Likes

It’s pre k babe :joy::joy: i do think they should’ve at least asked you how it was but it’s not like she’s off to college. As far as the birthday thing I’d ignore it. If y’all live close then go of course but I wouldn’t go out of my way even if we were close. Send a gift and say happy birthday lol

13 Likes

Unless your husband’s side of the family knows your family well, why should they congratulate them. Did you parents congratulate your BIL for graduating?
I’d be more upset that they didn’t congratulate my child for graduating. If you planned a party for him and they didn’t show up, yeah I’d be pissed. But I’d just ignore it and move on. It’s still a little weird that your MIL didn’t congratulate him. That’s her grandkid.
With your husband’s grandma, just tell her to let you know what she’s planned and that you’ll attend. Did she call to tell YOU to plan everything or just that she’s planning something? I wouldn’t plan anything for someone else - that’s her job if she wants a big party for them. They are her immediate family, so of course shell be focused on that.

3 Likes

I think you’re being extremely petty and looking for something to be offended about. They didn’t congratulate your side of the family, big deal.

24 Likes

Does your husband’s family know your family well? And I’m not sure why they would be calling you to congratulate someone else, even if it is your family.

Last day of Pre-K is a big deal to parents and sometimes grandparents, but usually not anyone else. I wouldn’t look too far into that one, unless your mil congratulated other kids on pre-k graduation.

4 Likes

You don’t have to make this a big deal. Let MIL know you will attend whatever SHE plans for HER daughter & HER granddaughter.

6 Likes

So it’s all over and done? Why are you still brooding over it?

2 Likes

Post it on face book 10 times wishing them a happy birthday

Yes , you are overreacting!!! Your son graduated from pre k for gods sake , that’s a big deal only for you :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: get over it .

1 Like

I don’t think you are overreacting at all. Sadly some only think about themselves and the closer people around them. It has happened to me and has made me stop caring about other peoples feelings. If you do not do or show love to my child I honestly don’t care anymore. If she would have came off nicer and cared you wouldn’t have any issues. She called you with demands. Just my thoughts :woman_shrugging:t2: I would either call her and nicely and respectfully explain how it made you feel. Maybe is wasn’t intentional even tho it sounds like it was but benefit of the doubt. Orrrrr ignore that phone call and continue to live your best life with zero cares.

2 Likes

It’s prek… I thought it was ridiculous when they just had a “graduation” for my daughter who just finished prek… get over it. Lol. It’s silly.

7 Likes

yes HIS family knows MY family , the thing is I’m upset over how they don’t even bother to congratulate and or see how my family is when we do to them. They’re there for others who aren’t even family and thats what hurts me . they don’t care for family as much as we do for theirs .
My child finishing Pre-K does mean the world to me as a FIRST time mom babe. They congratulated my husbands brothers son too but not mine? Us as parents notice little things . My question was how can i stop being upset over this when all they ever do is treat MY family (not hers,nor strangers!) as if they weren’t important. Mind you , i never stated i was going to confront her. I just wanted advice on HOW to avoid feeling like this :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Kinda strange she wants you to do something for your husband’s aunt’s and their children… hmm. But I wouldn’t let it upset me, I would brush it off my shoulder and forget it, it’s not worth the drama and stress

1 Like

Yeah, I think you are overreacting.

She can make a big deal if her family and you’ll make a big deal of yours. And tell her that!!

6 Likes

Put on your big girl panties and suck it up. It’s not the end of the world

1 Like

Seriously think you’re being silly I wouldn’t tell my son-in-law to tell his family something like happy birthday or congratulations however if I know them and I see them I would tell them myself and for the kid in pre-K he has no clue what’s really going on however if she’s reminding you that her daughter’s birthday is coming up more than likely you’re talking about your mother-in-law that is your family now Grandma probably has no clue that you’re so upset over something silly

4 Likes

I’m not understanding why you think your inlaws should congratulate YOUR brother for graduating, or why they should care about your sisters birthday? They’re not related! your sons last day of pre-K? I mean, it’s a big step for a small child, I guess, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal! Might be for others but I don’t see it! So she was letting you know that your mother in laws birthday was coming up? What’s the problem with that? It’s a reminder.

39 Likes

She probably doesn’t even know your brother, & who cares if it’s your sisters birthday :joy: a pre-K graduation is mostly a little milestone for parents to celebrate. It’s nothing compared to a highschool graduation. You sound ridiculous

18 Likes

Find real problems and focus on them…