How can I stop myself from yelling at my children so much?

Check out Ahaparenting.com. I’ve found so much good advice from Dr. Laura Markham. Good luck and stay strong mama :facepunch: your doing the best you can :crown:

I don’t yell any more, I ask and I give a time limit. If it’s not done I take away whatever it is that’s distracting them I don’t say why I don’t ask again, unless they ask why I took their things. Usually they just get up and do whatever it was i asked.

How bout a popping or whopping. I struggle with this also. I find threatening him with a pop stick (ruler) helps. (Depending on how old they are. Mine son is about to be 4) Even tho I never use it, he straightens up quick

A joint will help…js

1 Like

I read something once that said to whisper. They will bring it down to hear what you’re saying. It doesn’t work every time but it does work most of the time! I couldn’t believe it. It’s very hard to remember in trying times but you can do it! Once step at a time. :blush:

Get up very close to them and make then look at you. Say their name. Then say it. Make them repeat it. Yelling does nothing but teach them to yell. But kids literally do not hear you. You must get their attention in other ways.

A child who is compromised in his self-esteem does not stop loving you, he stops loving himself… Yelling at them is detrimental to self-esteem. Please devise a better way of desciplining them. You will greatly regret it after they’re gone. Self-esteem is everything. Do not damage it.

1 Like

You have to give them consequences for their behavior. Tell them if they do not listen this or this is going to happen. Then you must follow through,otherwise they know you keep yelling but do nothing so they will continue . If I started counting, when I got to 3 and had to get up because they didn’t change the behavior I would spank them. If they were arguing over a toy and neither one would give up after repeated warnings I would take the toy and break it, and put in trash in front of them. Now neither of them have the toy anymore, was it worth fighting over. No. So they will learn to change the behavior. You have to follow through with what you say will happen if they continue.

Talk with them at their level first then if they don’t listen raise ur voice but don’t yell the second time so they know ur upset. If they are still not listening then u can yell at them but explain to them why u were yelling. Make them understand u gave them chances or 3 warnings to listen and they didn’t so u yelled. That way they can understand ur frustration or if they don’t listen still put them in a time out chair and explain why u put them there! They need to know ur the parent but yelling doesn’t work all of the time.

Watch super nanny. Gives great advices and such. She’s awesome at giving ideas and how to deal with it

Tap them on their shoulder first, then talk not yell. You need to get their attention first.

I always said this is your second warning. They knew that if I said it a third time that they were sent to their room for the day. Since I never allowed a TV, video games, or toys in their rooms, that never made them happy. Guess when all you have is reading materials and your imagination, you step up and do what you are told. But then, there were still times that I had to let out a big yell and that’s when they got afraid. No telling what I’d do after that!

1 Like

The problem with children now days parents tell/ threaten. But all it takes tell them once if they don’t listen then a whooping. Doesn’t take to many times for them to understand you mean what you say

Stop and think.how you would like to be yelled at constantly. Put down your cell phone and pay attention to the children. If you have actually asked them to.put away their toys or whatever a second time. Just put them.in time out for a few minutes and take that time to relax

Following Bc I’m the same way. I’ve been trying to stop myself, so when I find myself yelling, I stop, take a breath and get on her level, and tell her how much I don’t like to tell but I get frustrated when she doesn’t listen. I apologize for yelling at her, and remind her that I’m trying to do better

7 Likes