How can I work through this?

My nana passed away in April this year. She had custody of my neice. I lived with my nana and neice for 3 years before my nana passed. I wasn’t living there when she passed though. So the neighbors took custody of my neice. Bc her family could step in to take care of her. She is refusing to let me see my neice. She makes up excuses everyday. As to Why they can’t meet me. I’ve seen my neice on video chat one time since my nana passed away. And now she’s posting that my neice wants them to adopt her. She’s 9. Is there anything I could do to get visitation rights. She’s not biologically my neice. My nana is my moms stepmom and my neice is my nanas great neice. But I have pictures to prove I’ve always been in her life. Idk what to do. It’s killing me not seeing her. She was like my child. Any advice would help.

124 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How can I work through this? - Mamas Uncut

It depends on your state. Relation thru marriage matters but you need a lawyer.

3 Likes

Go and get legal advice. I’d say you have more right to her than your nanas neighbour does

25 Likes

Call department of child services
Now.

1 Like

Legal advise ASAP! More than 1 opinion. Consultations are usually FREE. Ask your friends who would they use and WHY… Also, ask why they wouldn’t and WHY.
Just bc one person says to use or not to use and Attorney. Doesn’t mean it will or won’t be a fit for you.

3 Likes

You just need to prove it’s in the best interest of the child to be with you, get legal aid and file for emergency custody

4 Likes

I’m having a hard time understanding how some neighbors could just casually take custody of a kid that lives near them. That’s not how it works unless the state placed her there.

21 Likes

How did the neighbor get custody? Wasn’t family first choice? I’m not understanding how this went down.

6 Likes

Depends on the state you’re in, my best advice is contact the social worker from foster care and find out your rights

2 Likes

There’s to many variables for any of us to be much help. The state your in. Any will or documentation. Whether you’re stable or not. Whether you can financially support her.
…and some advice I’d you choose to follow could be potentially harmful.

Your best recourse is to contact both a family lawyer and DFS (in the area the child resides) and see what can be done legally.

4 Likes

That’s very strange that a child just gets handed over to the neighbours, I think you need legal action straight away

6 Likes

There had to be some type of documentation that the “neighbors” were to get the child. When someone passes away the corner nor the cops never go next door and ask if the neighbor wants the child living next to them.

Although you are family through your stepmom, I don’t think they legally have to give you any rights to the child.

Once they become sole caregivers/guardians of the child, they get to choose who the child is in contact with.

There has to be more information given other than the neighbors got your nanas great niece and you can’t see her.

Personally, I would try to go to the courthouse and get a copy of the will or any documents your nana had on file and go from there.

They could possibly be keeping the child safe from any future trauma, or helping her grieve the loss of your nana. If she’s 9 I’m sure loosing her primary caregiver had to be severely traumatic, and if she’s in a safe, stable, loving home I would just ask them if there was a reason behind not letting you see her. Be civil, the last thing you want to do is get others involved and possibly risk loosing all contact with the family altogether.

2 Likes

Who has court appointed custody?

Weird they would let neighbors take her over family anyways

8 Likes

You should contact a lawyer to see what your options are. If I were you, I would file for full custody.

1 Like

Gurl speak to a lawyer we don’t even know where u are ? Lmao

2 Likes

I’m wondering where you were when she was placed with this family? Because if she’s like your kid, you should’ve been there all along.

12 Likes

Get yourself a lawyer right away. !!!

1 Like

I would contact a lawyer. Seems odd that the neighbors would be given custody of her. If family cant take her they don’t just go to the neighbors. You gotta find out exactly whats going on here and a lawyer would probably be the best way to do that.

6 Likes

Who just hands a child off to the neighbors ? Something weird is going on … Get legal help !

8 Likes

Umm the neighbors aren’t related, so get a lawyer and fight for her. It would have been much easier if you would have stepped up when nana passed:

8 Likes

The neighbors took her? So strange.

Was there a guardian appointed for said child? If not go petition the court in county child is in and can also petition for change of guardian.

1 Like

A court would consider you more of family than a neighbour. Take her to court. And phone social services in your local area… go to her door and do not refuse to leave until you see her.

4 Likes

Talk to a family court lawyer.

You can file for custody. That is about all you can do.

Contact a lawyer for advice

1 Like

You are still considered family. Social services would rather children be with family than someone else. I’d give them a call and see what you can do. As long as you have a stable home and no criminal record they will give the family custody.

11 Likes

Let the child be, you work on your feelings that whether you see her or not won’t negate your love for her!

7 Likes

Maybe the Nana wrote in the in will as to who gets custody when Nana passes away?

2 Likes

Speak to your child services ?

1 Like

Speak with several lawyers but they’ve had custody for quite some time without anyone else stepping up. The courts are going to do what’s in the best interest of the kid and bouncing around isn’t it. Is she happy and thriving? Are her needs being met? There’s a lot happening right now and they don’t need to go at your pace you will need to be patient and willing to understand they are a family unit now and their needs and wants come before yours.

5 Likes

your still family so must hold some right but they will also want to know why you didnt step in to care for her when your nan passed especially if you see her as your own🤷‍♀️ need to go to a solicitor or a local based advise centre

2 Likes

She is a neighbor and not family, go to the court and fight for custody .

11 Likes

Get a lawyer! Keep track of all calls and texts proving you try to see her and they won’t let you

8 Likes

Contact legal aid and get advice to go from there

5 Likes

If you are only after visitation then probably not. If you’re interested in custody then you probably have a chance.

2 Likes

How was a neighbor just able to up and take custody of this child that isn’t even biologically theirs? Sure, maybe Nana had it in her will. But wouldn’t you think they would go through the different family members first?!?!

24 Likes

Your best bet since we are not family lawyers is to call family lawyer for advice …unless one of the commenters are lawyers legally how can we answer that?

4 Likes

How long has she been with the neighbors? I would imagine they would need some type of legal paperwork for school. If it’s been awhile Im not sure social services would remove her if they are already involved and she is stable and thriving. Just a thought.

1 Like

Talk to a family lawyer…unless one of the commenters are lawyers…then your best bet are lawyers …

They aren’t biological family to her either. I’m sure that you could have the courts grant you visitation. . Fill out the proper paperwork to get seen by a judge &I’m sure it will go in your favor. Goodluck

4 Likes

The neighbors don’t have legal custody rights. Call your local PD. That’s called kidnapping.

14 Likes

If you considered her your child then why didn’t you step up?

12 Likes

I’m confused as to why y’all let the neighbor take this baby in. I mean bless their hearts but damn, if I had to take in my neighbors lil one cuz nobody else did, I might make shit difficult on that family too. Seems a lil toxic to allow the family that was less present when she needed them the most than the neighbor who took her in and is now adopting and protecting her from the ones who let her down at a vulnerable time. Maybe you should be trying to establish a friendship with them so they can be comfortable that you ain’t another toxic family member wanting a random visit.

Why would the neighbor of all people get custody of that child… wouldn’t an actual relative take her or you know cps… that doesn’t sound right at all. Get a lawyer for sure!

If the neighbors aren’t family call them in for holding her from you.

3 Likes

You’re more family than the neighbors. Unless they were legally given custody of her that’s called kidnapping. Call a lawyer and then call the cops

9 Likes

There may be more to this story, the neighbor has been caring for this child for 6 months? are you asking for custody or visitation?

3 Likes

This can’t possibly be the whole story. Seems to be some crucial parts missing.

14 Likes

Who in the family was notified that this was going to happen and gave permission for the child to live with the NON-FAMILY when Nana died?

They don’t just pass children off to neighbors when someone dies.

23 Likes

Family court the neighbors don’t have more rights than you do

1 Like

Get a lawyer and get real legal advice for where you live

8 Likes

theh usually will opt for the child to go with family before a stranger

3 Likes

I’m guessing that you’re as related as the neighbors but we’re in house for years

1 Like

I would be asking why can’t I see her? Something smells fishy.

8 Likes

The neighbors have as much of a right to her as you do. They aren’t related either!! Fight like hell. You’re more family to her than they are. You can at least fight for visitation bare minimum. Doesn’t mean you’ll get, but at least you’ll have tried y’know? I really hope you win though. That’s so dirty of them. She deserves all the love and family she can get in these hard times. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

see a lawyer as soon as you can

Ocy will screw you over,sorry

You contact children services and speak to her case worker about visitation and if you want her .

1 Like

Are you old enough to ask for custody and have a stable home life for her? You may not be a blood relative but with your history with her you could petition the courts.

Serious red flag that u aren’t allowed to see or speak to her, get the police involved just so u can see she is alright it’s ur quickest comfort right nw u can proceed with other avenues thereafter…

You would have more rights than a neighbor. You’d have to given you have a family connection and not just a proximity connection

Go to to an attorney to try to fight custody or at least get visitation