How can my friend get her toddler to sleep through the night?

Hey mamas, I have a friend that has a 2 year old son, he REFUSES to sleep by himself, he has to be touching his mama at all times, if she lets go of his hand whether he has been asleep for 5 minutes or 5 hours he wakes up until she lays back down with him, he has his own bed in his own room, the mom and dad are currently trying for sweet baby #2 but they feel like they can’t do anything to try for #2 because the mom literally has to stay in the bed with him all night, they are a little fearful he will be mean to the new baby also when that time comes, also when she wakes up at 4AM with her husband for work 5-10 minutes after she gets up the baby gets up wanting her to lay back down. She can’t even sleep in the bed with her husband. They have tried the cry it out method twice, first time the dad didn’t like it and told her to go get him up, the second time dad was on board with it and the baby threw up 3 times and they called it off and said they wasn’t trying that again, what are some things she can do to get him to sleep by himself and not LITERALLY have to hold her hand or gets up every morning at 4AM when she gets up to get her husband up for work.

9 Likes

My 2 yr old is going through this as well. Just take it one day at a time

One of my babies was like this, I know how hard and inconvenient it can be when you have multiple responsibilities. My baby is far past that stage now. The best thing you can do is go to your baby, yes he’s 2, still your baby. Please don’t let him cry it out by himself, they do grow out of it eventually, as long as they have consistency and security in knowing you’ll be there when they call/cry for you :heart:

You can co-sleep if you feel it may help, however they do get used too it very quickly and it can be a lot harder to break the cycle the longer you do it for,

I had the same with my one year old as I work most evenings and dad does bedtime but dads a soft touch and loves his snuggles from his boy and he has got so used to it that I couldn’t get him to settle without being cuddled but then he had very broken sleep wanting to be held all the time,

My best advice would be break that cycle now, get a next to me or bed/cot in your room and when you put him down once he’s asleep spend time in the room he/she is in, when bubba disturbs after loosing the feel and warmth of mummy just gently go over and reassure you are there it’s ok, maybe a little cuddle and then back down to own bed may take a little bit of work to get used too but will deffo make life easier later down the line, even if it means putting on a low light just reassurance that you are there should help a lot.

Good luck and remember what ever you do it’s not what other people feel is right or wrong, your bubby your family, there’s no rule book for raising a child, you’ve got this, persevere keep strong and if you feel your struggling there’s nothing wrong to reach out for help! Best of luck :heart::heart:

My youngest had some sleep issues around 2. After getting exhausted I ended up putting her cot mattress on my floor next to my bed. Co slept for a little while. Then moved her to her bed next to mine. Eventually back to her room. It takes time to reset a routine

3 Likes

I don’t have advice but my boys are the same
My 4yr has to be touching me or dad the whole time. Holding hands rubbing our arm - any form of contact
My 2yr old sleeps in my hair! He has to have my hair in his hand. Recently he gets me to sleep on my stomach so he can lay on my back and have easy access to my hair
If I’m not there, it’s dads beard

1 Like

Sounds like Dad needs to step in

Sit down with him and talk to him about bedtime. Tell him u r got to bye him a cuddly teddy make sure your smell is on it. Tell him that it’s a magic teddy bear that will keep him safe. When he goes to bed don’t have no contact with him tell him to hold teddy hand. When he goes to be u touch him by rubbing his head/hand/back/shoulder with your hand then stop for a while then if he ask start. But while doing this make sure he can see u sit on bed to start with and as time go on less contact with him and move further away but telling him he is ok and u love him. This may take a long time but stay with it at some point when u r try going to toilet and then go back to him reassure him he ok. Good Luck and happy baby making

I have 6 girls an they all were the same. The only reason why 3 of them don’t do it as often anymore is bc they’re 22-x2 and 20 so they have their own places and when they visit they do invade my bed space bc they love their mom and need that bonding time for comfort and support to feel safe. My 17y/o I have to kick out of my room every so often to this day bc she thinks she needs to come in and sleep but I do let her lay with me at times just bc she needs the same as her older siblings. My youngest has only been in her own sleeping space in the 5-7yrs now but again like her older sisters she still needs to lay with her mom. She was also born premature so she is handicapped and needs extra attention and support. Hell I was sitting on the couch and my 20y/o who is expecting a baby boy in May came laid on the recliner in my lap bc she needed comfort. So I’m gonna say that it may never change but she can probably lesson it by practicing separation time where she just separates from him when she notices him getting sleepy and just doesn’t acknowledge him right away so he may just fall asleep by himself where he is and go from there. If he doesn’t fall asleep then let him get really sleepy and acknowledge him only after a bit and then lay him down let him pass out and she can get up for a minute and then back down with him and then after a bit maybe increase the time. She’s made herself his security blanket while sleeping so she has to get him to be ok on his own.

2 Likes

co-sleep, we did it with all 4 of our kids. Best thing we ever did. They will eventually outgrow it. Trust me there are plenty of other opportunities to make baby number 2.

2 Likes

I would wait until the kid fell asleep and then leave. I read a book to keep myself up long enough. I would never bring the kids into our bed.

2 Likes

If you are able too, have a support worker or someone else that can come in so its not always mum their so they can slowly learn to be comfortable without mum around. Be prepared it can be as simple as mum goes and has a shower and the little 1 screams but as long as the support person can learn to distract they will slowly not have the anxiety of not having mum right their, and on a side note shows that you are doing a amazing job x

1 Like

My husband was very abusive to me and wouldn’t let me near my own child and it took a few months for me to get it lined up to leave…after it became just us, my son was very attached because I was the safety. He would be asleep and I would go shower and without fail he would be crawling into the bathroom to sleep on the floor while I showered. If I was doing laundry or dishes he would have to be right at my feet. Difficult yes but understandable. When he was about 18 months he would be okay as long as I was within ear shot and he could hear me even when he was asleep, if he didn’t hear my voice he woke up. so I took his toy microphone and just sang him a 30 sec song on repeat and I would sit til he drifted off (10-15 min) saying the same phrase over and over and once he was asleep I turned it on and couldn’t slip out. And by time he was 2.5 we were Good until forced supervised visits. So then the voice wasn’t good enough…it helped but we made a deal I would cuddle with him 15 min and he could then take my hoody, blanket, pillow whatever that smelled like me and I would even swap it out part way through the night for one that smelled like me that was warmed in the dryer. Having the constant “body” heat and smell of me was relaxing. After the visitations stopped when he was just over 3 things went back to just needing to hear my voice and by 4 he just needed any background talking.

A noise machine. A softy. A stuffy. Sit by baby’s bed. Say it’s time for bed. Mama will be right here. I can’t talk bc I’ll be watching you sleep. Each night inch a few inches further away. I learned This from the nanny. Don’t talk to them. Don’t give them a bunch of overstimulation. Just sit there. They eventually fall asleep holding stuffy and get used to it. Have a monitor. When he wakes up repeat the process. Tuck him in show him love and sit in your spot. the white noise I integrated bc kids hear every creak or snore. White noise helps sneaking out is the room. Louder the better. Loud fan loud air purifier. Or a white noise machine. My smallest likes lullibies. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Have a favorite stuffed animal at bedtime and nap time preferably medium size. Tell your friend to always snuggle with the stuffed animal with her son at bedtime and nap time, do this over a week her little one will get use to the stuffed animal and less use to mommy. Eventually her son will go to sleep with just the stuffed animal. Some kids need security things in place of Mommy and Daddy.

1 Like

Sounds like separation anxiety, mine were like this and I would sleep on the floor. It was hard because I had twins in different rooms. I started giving them a small stuffed animal and it actually helped

Same here, got a full size bed, I lay with her then sneak off whether it’s one time or 5 times a night. Started this at 3.5 years old. Still working on it.

First: Mom and Dad have to make up their minds how important it is to them! ( Yes, it is important) Obviously it is NOT going to be easy. Once they have a firm decision, almost any method they choose will work IF they stick to it.

A friend of mine got her picture put on a stuffy for her daughter

Got my toddler a bigger bed and I lay with her until she falls asleep, sometimes she wakes up and comes back to get me. So no, I don’t have any good advice :joy:

1 Like

Just let the kid sleep with you,their only little once,sleeping alone can be scary,besides mommy and daddy sleep together,.jmho

I would not try for a baby until that’s resolved :grimacing:

2 Likes

oof this is why it’s important to put the kid down eben its an infant lol :upside_down_face: no advice. other then walk away and let him cry. thats what i did n they fussed but went to sleepcafter cpl min of fussin. mine didn do all that nonsense

NOTE: This is totally harmless and have no side effects. :pushpin:Are you in love with someone and he/she doesn’t reciprocate the -up gesture, frustrated because of a Break​:broken_heart: then you can use this to attract that lover into your life. It brings back your ex​:pushpin: and helps solve broken marriages. Life is too short to be unhappy. Think about that. You deserve utmost happiness and love.
Note : this is not a black magic
Kindly get in touch with,
:point_down:
DR PADE OKaka1