How can you tell if you are in active labor?

How can you tell if your in active labor or if your water broke without having a big gush as the obvious sign?

5 Likes

Contractions that become closer together and more intense, like not being able to talk through one. Depending on the number of pregnancies, water may not break until right before delivery.

1 Like

Sometimes you don’t know. With my twins mine leaked till I had no water around the babies. They were born at 33 weeks.

I had a bit of water release when I rolled over in my first pregnancy, an hour later my contractions started. Wasn’t until I was a good 4cm dilated I had a full gush of waters breaking in hospital thankfully. 10 hours and 13 minutes later my baby girl was born. Second time my waters didn’t go I didn’t remember till I was pushing her out. Every labour is different though.

The pain will
Let you know - trust me

With my 1st I was having mild cramping every 4-5 minutes lasting about 1 minute so I went in to be checked. I was already almost 6cm they broke my water and she was born about 3 hrs after then. My second was the only one where my water broke. Just felt like I peed my pants anytime I would bend over, stand up, or anything similar.

2 Likes

My water broke at 35 weeks even. They didn’t catch it till 36 weeks even with my contractions every two minutes lasting a minute. If your having contractions every two and can’t talk through them I’d go in

With five kids it’s 10 minutes apart with contractions and I give birth to them like 2 hours after realizing with my fifth baby I didn’t even know I was actually scheduled to be induced went into being induced and I was having contraction 7 minutes apart so instead of being a few day process ended up being a 12-hour process I don’t know why his was longer every birth processes different but I was already on my way to giving birth but he was a complicated situation but usually it’s when I have contractions 10 minutes apart

Put on a pad and lay down for 20-30 min and then stand up. If it’s your water, it will leak out when you stand. Or when you’re experiencing what you think is leaking, clench the same muscles you’d use to stop the flow of urine on the toilet. If it doesn’t stop, it’s your water.

4 Likes

To tell if your water is broke. Lay down flat and sit up, if you gush, repeat one more time, and if it happens again, its your water. Same with coughing. Make yourself cough twice. If it happens both times, your water broke.

Oh boy, you know. I had Braxton-Hicks contractions for a month, strong ones, before I went into labor. Water never broke, not uncommon. When the first contraction started, it was completely different, because the cervix was dilating ( that’s the pain) and the contractions got stronger and stronger.

1 Like

If your water broke, go yo the hospital.

I have 3 kids and in every single delivery the nurses had to pop my water. And you’d definitely know at least after a while. It totally sucks

If you’re questioning what you had to eat earlier (because your stomach seems to be upset)… That’s the start. If that starts to push into waves of nausea, then you are driving into active labor. The nausea comes from a flood of hormones.
Time the start to end of contractions, and the time between. In the beginning the contractions will be similar to menstrual cramping or diarrhea cramping.

1 Like

Big gushes are a hollywood sign all bs. When i went into labor on my own finally my water trickled down my leg but i was already in the hospital for immense pain amd my legs felt like jelly. I didnt even feel it i was in so much pain the nurse saw it and had to test to make sure it was my water. And they didnt consider me in labor bc i wasnt 6cm yet… thats a bunch of bs too bc let me tell you i wasnt 6cm long. I had baby 2 hours later. You can also have a slow leak. It didnt break when i stood it broke bc i hunched over for the epidural they were finally allowing me to have only to cancel it bc my stupid water broke. I truly still dont see why that was such a big deal to this day bc 17 yrs later i still remember that pain and the agony they let me go thru bc they didnt believe i was in active labor anyway.