How common is post tubal ligation syndrome?

Has anyone had post tubal ligation syndrome? I having my tubes tied after I deliver and am scared this might happen to me. Is it a common occurrence?

15 Likes

I had it. Ended up with hysterectomy 5 years later.

Omg! I had no idea! I had this and ended up with a hysterectomy 4 years later. I thought it was just me. The doctor never said anything. This was 12 years ago. Iā€™m in complete shock. :astonished:

Strange. I just had an US and they couldnā€™t find my left ovary. Apparently, it was hidingā€¦ Never had that happen before, they are always right there and swollen.
But all this makes sense now with hot flushes and everything

I had no idea about this until right now . I forced my dr to give me a hysterectomy. 10 years of most headaches bleeding 21 days a month and other symptoms. All started after my tubes were tied

What is this and what are the symptoms

1 Like

My tubes have been tied for 9 months now, so far no symptoms.

I had my tubes tied in 2018 and since then my cramps are 10x worse (i never had them honestly b4 i had them tied), migraines, im literally down for the first 2daysā€¦went from a light 5 day flow to a heavy heavy 7 day flow sometimes 8 or 9 days. Itā€™s horrible.

I had my tubal in 2015 and Iā€™ve had zero issues. No bad cramping, no worse periods. My periods may actually be about 2 days shorter.

No, very easy. Has been over 30 years.

I had mine cut and burned and I have absolutely terrible cramps and heavy bleeding during my periods now.
I also had to be put on birth control to regulate my bleeding because since having it done Iā€™d have two and three periods a month.

3 Likes

Got mine removed no issues I was a bit hormonal after but it regulated quick I went back to work next day ā€¦ normal period for the last 5 years no regrets

3 Likes

I was 21 when I had mine done
Noone warned me this could happen to me and I have ALL the symptoms very bad and Iā€™m sure I have this.didnt know this was real
But it def explains whatā€™s wrong with me.

Some people have no problems. Some people do. Itā€™s a crapshoot. Only around 30% have problems afterwards. I had one 19 years ago and have regretted it since. I have all the symptoms.

I had mine done 6 years ago after baby number 5. I have irregular periods when they were right on time and normal like.clock work. They are now horrid. I have gained an excessive amount of weight, and I am an active person cant seem to get it to drop off. Sex drive is minimal now. Hot flashesā€¦ terrible migraines, joint pain, and hair lossā€¦ Its been a nightmare to say the least. 3 docs I have gone to say that post tubal ligation syndrome does not exist. So if you know any doctors that believe it help.

1 Like

Itā€™s different for everyone. There can be changes with the hormones and so forth but as I said itā€™s different for everyone . I know woman who had their tubes cut and tied or clamped and never had any problems, period changes and hormonal changes, I know other woman who had this proceedure done and they had changes so itā€™s different for everyone

1 Like

I had mine removed last year and Iā€™m so glad I did. The only issue Iā€™ve had is some tenderness in the scars, but thatā€™s to be expected with any surgical procedure.

1 Like

I had my tubes sniped, clipped, tied and burned in 2008. I wouldnā€™t say it was a bad thing. Who is to say it wouldnā€™t be hormonal regardless? I say that and am on lexapro soooooā€¦I did have horrible periods that seem to get worse every month. Went to the doc for an consult on ablation and wound up getting a hysterectomy due to fibroids. So who knows what could happen. Shit can change over time due to other factors.

Ask about the option to cauterize rather than traditionally ā€œtyingā€. My understanding when I chose that was that it has less potential for side effects like that, but I am not a doctor and this was 15 years ago

I had mine removed February 2019. My periods are so much heavier and I gained 20lbs. But I canā€™t get pregnant ever again so I donā€™t regret it. Iā€™m saying this as Iā€™m on my period and am bitching about how I miss my lighter 4 day periods.

I got mine removed. The best thing Iā€™ve ever done. I heard my friends clamp fell off. Yikes, but everyone is different.

1 Like

Mine were cauterized. I had it done over 28 years ago and no problems or side affectsā€¦ Good Luck!!

1 Like

They used filshie clips on mine they were supposed to cut n burn em n they had to do it through the C section way bc when I had my gallbladder removed the same incision sight using laparoscopic was filled will scar tissue so they did it through C section this was back in 2014 it healed nicely but along the scar itā€™s all numb . My periods were still so heavy and horrible they did a hysterectomy in 2016 I had endometriosis so bad my uterus was attached to my colon . So the only problem I have now is fluctuating weight mood swings hot flashes n cramps each month that last about a day or two they still are really bad cramps thatā€™s bout it I deal with depression anxiety bipolar n ptsd hyperthyroidism And IBS :disappointed:

1 Like

I would look into the different methods of how to do the procedure. Look at the risks amd benefits for all of them.

Had mine synged almost 7 yrs agoā€¦ Nothing different or new than before šŸ’ I did worry about it very much. But my cycle went back to normal after I quit breastfeeding(almost 4 months after delivery) and still to this day my cycles are very normalā€¦no cramps.nothing heavy or unbearableā€¦ I know that is not always the case for everyone from my researchā€¦but best you can do if you decide to go through with it is be aware of your body as you should at all times anyway Recovery for me wasnā€™t the easiest.
Best if luck to you

I developed endometriosis after my tubal ligation. Never had any problems before that. Ended up getting a hysterectomy after seven years of misery

I had my tubes tied at 31 following a csection!
Biggest mistake ever for me, ridiculous hormonal changes heavy heavy periods. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what that is but if it is excruciating pain during your periods I had it!

2 Likes

I had mine tied in 2005. I had TERRIBLE periods afterwards. Tried birth control, ablation and finally had a partial hysterectomy.

Had mine done at 40 with my third child no problems at all I wouldā€™ve sued them if I fell pregnant again haha take care and make the decision that is right for you xx :heart:

I had mine done in 2016 and itā€™s not been a problem at all. My periods have been more regular, lighter and have been shorter at times.

Beenā€¦6yrs since mine. The best decision ever. Nowā€¦35ā€¦im in the process of getting a hysterectomy. ( Endometriosis 12yrsā€¦fibroids) i have 3 bio kids 2 step.

10 years out from my tubal, I use birth control pills to help combat post tubal ligation syndrome. Still would have had a tubal, but wish I had known what to expect long term.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a group full of women who regret it and say they have horrible effects after having it done. I had them cut, burned and tied and no regrets though. Before I had horrible periods and Unregular ones. Now they are regular and I have no side effects. This is the group. Thereā€™s a small percent of women with no symptoms and a whole lot with.

1 Like

I had mine done after my 3rd csection and it was the best decision ever!!! I only get my period once every few months and when i do it might last a day and be very light. I never had any weight gain Ive actually lost weight. I never saw any side affects from ot. Its been heaven for me!

1 Like

I want to get my tubes tied but medicare wonā€™t pay for it so I have to wait until social security office opens back. up

I also had a friend that just had hers tied, just tied. And she ended up pregnant after 4 months. You better make sure they Cauterized as well.

Had mine done with a c-section 30 years ago, never a single issue.

I had mine done 9 months agoā€¦still no period cramps nothingā€¦what is this post tubal thing we are speaking of? Never heard of it

I got mine tied after 3rd baby via C-section and never stopped bleeding so they wanted to put me on birth control but I said no so they did ablations and DNC and finally did a hysterectomy after bleeding for 15 months straight!!!

I had mine done in ā€˜83 never had a problem. Cut and sown in opposite directionsā€¦

I have my tubes tied and havenā€™t heard of this

I think Drs are better sources for your answers.

4 Likes

Had tubal litigation 21 years ago at age 33. Never experienced any problems.

I had my tubes tied. No complaints here.

I had mine cauterized after the c sectionā€¦ never had a problem. Good luck :heart:

2 Likes

Had mine done the next day ! Had no trouble I was 26.

I had mine cut and cotterized (sp?) immediately following a csection. No complications.

1 Like

I had it done. No regrets here.

OMG. I didnā€™t know this was a thing. Had my tubes done last year and been suffering ever since. I love that I canā€™t get pregnant anymore, but the side effects are killing me. Why nobody tells you those things can happen before you commit to get it done. Iā€™m so tired of this, and now the Doctor wants to put me in birth control :unamused:

I do. I had mine done at 20 after my 3rd baby and it was the worst thing I have ever done! It caused major weight gain, horrible periods, hormal issues like acne which I have never had. Just all around terrible.

I had to google it because Iā€™ve never heard of it lol.
I had mine done 3yrs ago. Not a single problem from it, it made my periods better and no hormonal changes.

I too have almost all symptoms listed, my periods are very heavy and painful and I become so emotional I can really do some damage to relationships. My tubal was done almost 13 years ago when I had my 2nd child.

I never knew this was a thingā€¦ but I have had many of the issues associated. My periods are hell and never 28-30 days apart. Never. So painful I liken it to childbirth.

I had mine done over 5 years ago and I had to google thisā€¦ I had never heard of it, Ive also never had any of those symptoms.

I had to Google it, too, because Iā€™ve never heard of it. But I have almost all of the symptoms listed. I had mine done 3/16/16, a few hours after my son was born.

I can check off almost every one of those symptoms, tubal was 2012 and itā€™s been this way ever since :pensive:

I have never heard of this either had to google to see never had any symptoms either I had mine done 26 yes ago

Itā€™s not a real condition. Most people have a tubal immediately following giving birth. Your hormones donā€™t change because of the procedure. They change because you just had a baby. Itā€™s extremely rare for such a procedure to cause any sort of issues.

1 Like

I had it done after my son was born. No complications. I was 38 and he was my first. There was no way I was going to have more kids at my age.

Iā€™m had my done 27 year never had no problem it the way you take care of your body and health

I also had mine cut n burnt. Periods were more heavier but I was done with menopause pretty early. 45!