How contagious is hand foot mouth?

How likely is my daughter to get hand foot and mouth? My daughter has a friend she saw at the park Monday. They hugged and then just played together. Tuesday we found out the little girl was exposed the prior day to someone who had hand foot and mouth. The little girl my daughter was playing was confirmed to have it yesterday. I am worried as I have a newborn at home and do not want her to get it!

15 Likes

It’s highly contagious and adults can also get it I work in a health care facility and got it a few years ago from a resident

1 Like

Very contagious. My daughter worked at a daycare and brought it home to her son.

I actually got hand foot and mouth and my husbands and kids never got it but it is highly contagious… best of luck!

It’s very contiguous. However my youngest granddaughter had it but my older one never did. I kept them both , thought for sure my oldest would end up with it. I kept disinfecting everything and washing .

It is highly contagious, and spreads very fast and through the whole body! I work in childcare and am very familiar with HFM

8 Likes

My 1 & 2yr old had it (both got it from daycare) the other 4 of us in the house didn’t get it :smiling_face:

Its viral and pretty contagious with close contact. The good news is that your newborn is probably still protected. Good handwashing is your best defense.

Yep its highly contagious, both my kids just got over it! But its viral, and doesnt really have any lasting side effects, i wouldnt worry too much.

My 2 oldest boys had it when my youngest was a baby and it was hard but they didn’t spread it to him. I made sure we had no contact and they cleaned up after themselves. They were 10 and 7 so I guess that helped with them being a little older.

1 Like

It’s extremely contagious

I had it about 2 years ago & still had to take care of my children & luckily neither of them caught it from me.

Very contagious. My kids had it twice in one year

My daughter just got it after 5 very short trips to daycare. Literally 3 hours max each of those 5 trips

1 Like

It’s very contagious you can also get it

1 Like

VERY contagious! My little girl developed it and it spread thru her whole baby sitters house to a total of 5 children (including my daughter). Some of the kids did not develop a rash till about a week after she had hers and that was after I pulled her outta the sitters house so she could recover from it and not spread it to anybody else

My son got it from a daycare. He wasn’t even there at the same time as the other kids, he got it just from playing with the same toys they had played with hours prior.

It’s highly contagious. My kids doctor calls it the new chickenpox

My 6 year old just got it from school. They let him stay in school but saud if he had a fever or the blisters seeped hed have to stay home. My 9 year old got it too. They were both able to stay in school.

Very contagious and goes through daycares so bad!! It can be so painful too.

Very contagious. My littlest picked it up at daycare and within a couple days he gave it to both of his preteen/teen siblings even though contact was limited.

it’s so contagious. my daughter had it last year. it was brought to school by a teacher from his church. most of the kids in her school ended up getting it.

As long as you wash hands/ sanitize regularly you should be good.

Very. Daughter had blisters in her throat. It was heartbreaking to watch her struggle. I also had a newborn. Keep them apart. Takes 5 days to kick in.

Very contagious. We had a set of twins that got it when I worked at the daycare. They came in for about an hour and we called the parents and sent them home because they were feverish and had blisters on feet…later that day they called to let us know that’s what it was. We shut the daycare down and had to sterilize everything before we could open again. It’s the only time we ever closed :grimacing: I only remember one other kid that ended up getting it tho…

1 Like

Very contagious. Kids can have it more than once also. My grandson had it twice Caught it in the Nursery

Very contagious to children it’s going around where I live bad right now.

Highly contagious. I teach Preschool. Once we have one child diagnosed, we can project that 3/4 of the class will be out in the next 2 weeks. It is more infectious than strep, pink eye, stomach virus, etc. Lice is probably the only thing that spreads faster!

1 Like

When my boys where little I made it a routine to bath my kids after school and every outing then I use to add a little of Dettol in their water to rinse off.

2 Likes

It’s VERY contagious. Not going to lie.

My son was diagnosed on a Thursday. The Dr treating him said he was likely exposed the previous Sunday because it takes 4-5 days to display on the skin. I was brushing his hair for school when he started to pick at his hands. I couldn’t identify it so I called my friend who told me to check his mouth and feet. He didn’t have mouth blisters yet but he had blisters on his feet. He was out of school for almost 3 weeks while we waited for them to burst and dry. He wasn’t allowed back at school until they were completely dry so he didn’t spread the infection. He was 9 when this happened.

It’s extremely contagious. Making sure they’re washing their hands, use separate towels for them when bathing etc

It’s very contagious unfortunately. Watch for sore throat and/or any blisters.

What is hand food mouth?
Someone please explain

It’s not as big of a deal for kids to get it as it is for adults. Kids will breeze right through it. Adults on the other hand really struggle.

Very contagious and feces is contagious for up to 6 months after symtoms have disappeared. So keep hands ans bottoms very clean. Probably my biggest reason to wipe down carts before i put baby in. Dont know if anyone has washed their hands after a diaper change or if baby randomly had their hand in it and wasnt washed properly.

They say that there’s nothing that you can do. It just has to run its course, but I found that  2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil  helped. Take a Q-tip put it in the mixture rub it in the mouth or anywhere over there is sores.

1 Like

My now 4 year old got it 2 years ago and it was absolutely awful, but my other 3 kids and my husband and myself never got it.

Very contagious to children 5 and under. Sores usually don’t appear until after fever comes

Delivered in Jesus mighty name Amene

1 Like

I heard it’s very contagious but last year my 2 year old got it and the rest of us managed not to get it. This year her 4 year old sister got it and again no one else managed to get it. They are always hugging, sharing cups etc.

I was babysitting a little boy and he got it and the other little boy i was babysitting got it but my then 7 month old never got it and he was around both boys .but its very contagious

VERY!
Google it and research it out… prevent it and cure it naturally :wink:

Unfortunately very contagious