How did you know when you didn't want anymore kids?

My husband and I decided we were done when we found out we were pregnant with our second. And the moment she was placed on my chest I felt completed
But decided we were done. He didn’t want to have another baby in the first place. So we agreed 2 and done. My body also doesn’t handle pregnancy well. 2 miscarriages, pregnancy induced hypertension with my first daughter, preeclampsia with my second daughter. So I personally was done being pregnant because of all of the complications
I was sad that I would never be pregnant again, but I also never had the desired to be pregnant again or have another child.
I had a tubal ligation done 8 week’s after my youngest was born and I have never looked back.
Talk to your husband about how you are feeling. Make sure this is something you are 100% ready for

1 Like

After having different complications with both of my pregnancies with my two boys I was told by a couple drs I shouldn’t have anymore. That was hard to hear. Then I had gotten pregnant again not planned but had a miscarriage. After the warnings and then going through the miscarriage I finally said no more. I found peace with it all but yes I did grieve. I have found myself happy and content with just my two boys now. I’m a single mother anyways and I’ve finally got us in a good place financially and making big changes to give them the best of life. They are also 12 and 6 I started young and now that they are both in school I don’t want to start over again. I’ve always told my self since I started young I didn’t want anymore after 30 lol I’m now 31 I didn’t expect it to actually happen that way though. I just let everyone else in my family and friends have the babies now lol.

1 Like

My body is done. I’m 37 husband is 40. We have 3 kids. 8,5, and 2. And We are tired! Lol. Kids are exhausting. I honestly think if you have any doubt, then don’t be done. Just ask yourself if you were to look back later on- will you regret not having more? I get slightly sad at the thought of no more babies- but I’m also very excited to move on to our next chapter. I will be able to focus on them better without another little one taking up more time. Babies take up a lot of attention. It’s hard enough as it is now. I can’t watch their sporting events or pretty much any activity as much as I’d like-due to chasing my 2 year old around or trying to keep him from being too loud during certain times. Not that I regret have my 3rd in the least. But I just couldn’t have another. It’s sad, but I truly feel done. And I’m ok with it. What ever you decide…Good luck. :heart:

1 Like

Maybe a puppy or kitty would be a good addition to your family??

I wasn’t suppose to be able to have my one and only child ( my son). I was ecstatic but never wanted a second child after him because I was 36 when he was born i planned to have my tubes tied after his birth. I had helped raise my younger brothers and then my niece and nephew after I was an adult so I believe it was easier for me to be DONE with one. But that being said, my 4 year old niece and her mother have lived with us since she was 5 months old and I have always done most of her care so maybe I wasnt as DONE as I thought! I love her but wish I wasn’t doing most of her care when I am 54 (55 next month), I’m tired! I think you know when you know…is it even medically possible for you to carry another child with having had 4 miscarriages and health problems after each birth? Maybe you are just grieving the end of an era!

When we got outnumbered lol. I was told I couldn’t carry full term and would have issues getting pregnant…all three of my kids were born after their due dates (two were weeks late!) And I understand losing one. I also had mine by 31 and by 37 I was in baby fever…I think that’s like normal cause they say men hit a sexual peak at 18 and we do around 40…Baby Fever I think goes along with those hormones!! However, like you guys, we opted out after kid 3. I just babysat my way thru the hormones, and contemplated being a surigate mother in my dreams lol. Getting outnumbered means it’s harder to give full focus one on one without serious planning. I’m glad we stopped at 3. I was better for them as a result I hope lol.

I wasn’t supposed to have be able my 3rd - he came along 10 years after my 2nd and 15 years after my 1st -
I’m love him but honestly I was done long time ago -
It sounds like your not done you should tell your husband- a women knows , when she done -
When endlessly carton , change diapers and having a child on your lap 24/7 is more work than enjoyment your done - some it’s one , two or 5 -
But when you exhausted physically,mentally , emotionally and $$$ exhausted you know your done - that level is different for each person-
You could always , foster or adopt too -

Coming from a mother of 2 here. I lost my 27 year old son 3yrs ago due to an auto accident. Oh how I now wished for that 3rd child now. My daughter is now 27. And she has suffered so much in losing her only brother. She lost her best friend and protector. Her children will no longer have an awesome uncle or cousins either. Her husband has 1 brother who is gay and he does not want children.
People often forget about the siblings when a child is lost. Believe me, as parents we are in pain and suffer daily. But let’s never forget the siblings that suffer too.

my three are all in their 30’s but I had a boy then girl and thought that’s it well I guess God had other plans cause when I went to my appointment to set up having my tubes tied they did a pregnancy test and bam I was pregnant so… another boy I had and I don’t regret it at all but I did decide after that to stop and had my tubes tied right after his birth but there are so many children out there needing a family so if you want to keep raising a child think about adoption. it’s just as rewarding. that way you have another child but not risking losing one and putting your body through that.

I’m 28, husband is 33. There are days he says he wants us to have another one but then sometimes he says no more. He has a 12 year old son from his ex before me. We have an almost 3 year old daughter together and suffered a miscarriage right before her. Our daughter is an absolute daddy’s girl, I wish I had a mama’s boy. My stepson also lives out of state in Georgia. We live in texas, we get him a month during summer, a week during Christmas or Thanksgiving flip flops which one, and a week during spring break which isn’t enough to feel that void… the miscarriage was hard, and I had an emergency c section that he wasn’t in the room for, she had to stay in the NICU for 2 months… I feel like I was robbed of the pregnancy, never got the cute baby bump or bond, I couldn’t even see her until 24 hours after I had her…sorry I’m going on and on but I’ve always wanted a son and daughter… so I don’t know if we will have another one but would love to.

I always knew how many kids i was going to have . and after my 2nd child . ( even before she was born) i signed papers to get my tubes ,cut,tied,an burned . Its not that i didn’t want more . i know that i could not do it off the income i had .the partner i was wt . i also have my kids from another mother . so it helped wt not having more . It was something i was ok wt at 25 . an now that iam 42 . iam super ok wt it . because this world is bad an getting worst .

I was 38 when I had my son. I didn’t think I would have kids. I didn’t want to have another one being so close to 40. Right after I had him (by emergency c-section) I had my tubes tied. My pregnancy was high risk to begin with so I didn’t want to go through that again.

I was looking at not how many I was gonna have but moreso my cutoff age. I was 20 when I had my first child. Already married over a year and my cutoff age was 25. I have three wonderful amazing kids and I’m still young enough to enjoy and play with my grandkids.

I will be 29 in july and my husband will be turning 30 in dec. He has a son who is 6 whom ive been in his life since hes 1 and a half and we have 2 other boys 3 and 6 months we know we cant really afford another kid with the job i have but sometimes i really want to try for a girl in a year or so but im also terrified that it will be a boy my want for another kid is based on me wanting a girl so it makes sense for him to get a vasectomy

At 24 I had twins my 3rd and 4th child. I signed the paper to have my tubes tied. Knew i was finished. Had no issues with this. At 29 developed cervical cancer had to have a full hysterectomy. I cried so much. Started to realize that it was just final and that’s what scared me. At 40 my babies are 16 and cannot imagine having a small child again. So i think sometimes we just get scared or sad to know we a decision that is so huge.

Im 37 hubby is 42 first was miscarriage 2nd was a girl she is almost 3 and 3rd is a boy 5 weeks old I have some female issues and want a full hysterectomy I’ve had 2 emergency c sections my daughters at 37 weeks and my son at 36 weeks I don’t want to be cut open again for another baby and I’m very high risk I had to beg my husband for us to have our 2nd child so we decided we are to old to have any more and I just don’t want all the pain of periods anymore most of the time I’m in the bed for atlease 3 days cause I hurt so bad so yeah we are done with kiddos

I Was finished after my first child who was diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD before he was two years old however they would not tie my tubes. Then I had my second child who then was autistic and had multiple diagnoses again they would not tie my tubes. Then come along child number three he was a surprise and at 28 days he quit breathing I was able to revive him and then he was on machines for two years apnea heart monitor and an oximeter had to take lots of medication I was finally able to convince the doctor to tie my tubes because he said if I had another baby they would automatically put it on an apnea monitor immediately because of my third child what happened with him.

I’m still young and undecided but I think that’s a lot of pain physically and mentally to go through. Maybe consider adoption or fostering to mend your heart a little.

Girl I dont even know… I have two.boys and one girl and 4 step son that live with me… Some days I wanna have one more bc I have.always wanted tk.give birth to.4 kids… But then other days I’m like ugh Idk if i wanna do this again…

It was quite sinole for me. I have 3. Tied my tubes with my last. I never thought id be a mother of 3. So i know i definetly do not want more. Nor does my hubs. Im 24 hes 31

Im on my 3rd. And i was done by my 2nd but didn’t get my tubes tied. This time around im deff getting my tubes tied. Im 33 and tired. I have an almost 14 yr old, 4 yr old, and due any day now.

Seems to me you need to put the children you have first and not put your health in jeapordy. Dont live your life soly around you kids. Go have some fun. Live life

As i qas going up the stairs i mentioned it would be nice to add two more kids to our family and his reply was YOU ARE TOO OLD!!! Go find another hobby please!!! So i started ceramics!!!

I looked at our ages. Thought about cars. College, or trading school
Diapers all over again
I cried as well when my husband got his. But it turned out for the best for everyone
It’s not getting any cheaper to raise children
Plus its time to start saving for your future

I knew after my second child, my husband and I agree after two we were finished, I was 26! I wanted to enjoy the two I had and we agree we couldn’t afford anymore!i

Afrer I had my last child I decided that was enough and I got a tubal ligation.

Don’t doubt your initial decision,your instinct
Is always right,

Then don’t do it, but use some kind of contraceptive.

I’d say put it off and talk it over more.

Maybe postpone the vasectomy and see a therapist. There seems to be some issues you have put under the rug rather than grieving and it would be a good idea to find out where it’s coming from. I have two boys and I miscarried in between. My husband was not here for the second birth so I somewhat feel shafted on my birth plan. I too got sick both times nearly died. I guess I’m totally open to having another child but I know that right now we can not afford to with me in school. My husband struggled with our first he was very colicky and didn’t not come home until my second was a month old and I breastfed both. So the wakinn and feeding and the brunt of it I shouldered no disrespect to him my husband is and was very helpful it was not his fault he was away. We decided two was plenty bc he is not cool with the ages he easily frustrates. We have found successful ways to vent that help us all. I get sad bc I realize my youngest isn’t a baby anymore and he’s growing up and I’ll never have another baby. I think that’s a normal response for a woman. I am open to another, timing is bad. But I respect that my husband is done and though he is an amazing father he doesn’t want to spread himself too thin and I totally get that. He’s also 4 years older than me and he’s worried about their futures and ours. And it make sense. Im okay with compromising. At the end of the day we have two beautiful boys and I don’t want to leave them without a mother so the risk of having another isn’t something I want to take if it’ll potentially leave the ones that are here without a mother. I guess I’ll always wonder but I don’t regret compromising so that my husband is happy, I’m happy and my boys are happy and with both parents. I try not to focus on the bad but I definitely had to see therapist to work through my miscarriages bc my kids are 3&1 and they happened so closely that I truly didn’t have time to come to terms with it.