How do I fire my realtor?

You can’t move in prior to closing as you don’t own the house. Closing dates change and that’s unavoidable. Firing your agent will not help you get what you want. You will possibly lose the closing date you currently have and you will still be held liable to pay the agent their fee; that’s in the contract. Most people move in the day that they close on the house. So your husband should ask for the time off starting with the closing date and go ahead and reserve the uhaul.

6 Likes

Don’t do that!! It’s protocol. The realtor cannot magically make the process go quicker. Firing your realtor now will just make things worse for you… the whole process could be delayed or you could lose the home!

2 Likes

Just plan the move for after the closing date. Our house sat empty for 3 weeks before we could move in because they had to keep pushing our closing date.
We were supposed to close May 10.
Our inspection wasnt even done till May 12 :joy:
We got the keys to our house on June 21 lol

2 Likes

You first need to sign the closing documents, then you will own the house and can move in. The realtor is doing nothing wrong, and you are being what the kids call, “a Karen.” No, you can’t move in to a house that you don’t own or rent.

9 Likes

Just take the extra day off :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

The sellers probably don’t want you to take possession of the property prior to closing. That’s a huge liability for them.

5 Likes

Your Realtor is not doing nothing wrong. You can not move in until you sign all the closing docs and you get the keys. When I bought my home my date changed like three times and just had to learn to just be patient. Plus, you are in a contact with your realtor, you’ll end up much more stressed because you’ll still need to pay him/her and your home buying might take longer than a couple of weeks. Once you get your keys, everything will fall into place and eventually you’ll get moved in.

3 Likes

As everyone else has state you cannot move in before closing. Nor can you back out of a formal contract with an agent who is representing you.

2 Likes

Depending on the seller they could have a clause to where they have 30 days after closing if they are still living there.
They have to let you do inspection and a walk thru after they move . Make notes of before and after they move.

1 Like

I didn’t have a lawyer to buy my home just the bank and realtor. However they can’t give an exact date for the closing. We closed 2 weeks behind schedule but it happens. He can give work notice now and then when u get the call. Move in first then he can follow after.

1 Like

You can’t move in till the paperwork is signed because as I was informed by my realtor it’s a huge risk and liability for the current owners. What if something falls through? What if your husband loses his job and your financing? Then you become a squatter and people can’t always make you leave for sometime. We had a closing date set and went off that. You have to keep checking with the attorney, bank and realtor if things are on track. He might want to talk to his employer and say nothing is set yet and might have to be a few days different.

My closing took a month and and was able to move in as soon as the paperwork was signed

Aside from what everyone else is telling you. What’s the big deal? Once you have the keys, you don’t have to move THAT DAY. You can still wait 2 weeks to get the time off work.

16 Likes

Your realtor is right. You’re under contract and can’t fire your realtor now. Unless you want to resubmit the offer on the house, go through inspection again, which would then push closing even farther out and put you at risk of the sellers not even accepting your offer again because you’d have to buy as a private buyer. You can’t move in before closing unless it was put in the contract that the sellers accepted. My husband used to be a realtor. Closing dates can change and buying a home takes time. Things will work out be patient. You’re realtor is doing their job and this is super snarky. My closing took 6 weeks. Very rarely does it take less than 3. She literally does this for a living, I’d listen to her.

Again, firing your realtor would cancel your contract with the sellers and that would put you in a world you crap I don’t think you want.

5 Likes

First and foremost, I am going to take a wild leap and suggest that you didn’t read all the information that your realtor gave you. If you did, you wouldn’t be asking this ridiculous question. Even though you are only 3 weeks away from closing, the sell can still fall through. If the sellers allow you to move in early, (which hey, sometimes they will, sometimes they won’t but to protect themselves, they usually won’t) because if the sell does fall through because you can’t meet the terms, they will now be tasked with evicting you, re-listing their home and resuming all other expenses on the property. If you are a pain in the ass, evicting you will be even harder and that’s a task that not a lot of sellers want to deal with. Early possession can complicate closing in many ways because it’s not your home until you sign on the dotted line therefore the sellers are still responsible. If you are truly interested in early possession, instead of demanding your realtor find out when they are moving, ask if they would be willing to do a rental lease agreement for early possession of the property given your situation. Treat the agreement like a standard rental arrangement. This should include an earnest money deposit as well as a damage deposit from YOU. Urge the seller to take photos of the home’s condition before YOU move in so they’ll be aware of any damages if the sale falls through and YOU move out. The seller may want to purchase a home warranty plan as well. This will help avoid problems if you experiences problems with any appliances or home systems when you move in before the closing. If you aren’t willing to do any of that, then just sit your ass down and wait like you were told to before you even started the home buying process. I am sorry that the world doesn’t revolve around you and your schedule and if it takes that many “weeks” in advance to get time off for husband, maybe he should look into a new job. I am guessing he just tells you that it takes that much time so that when you ask him to take a day off for stupid shit, he has a way out.

Welcome to buying a house :house: :raised_hands: :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Your husband is not the first person to buy a house who works and needs to request time off to move.

9 Likes

Most closings take 30-45 days. You most likely will not get a date until at the earliest a week before closing. That’s just how it works. It’s not your realtor refusing to do what you ask , it’s how it works unfortunately.

13 Likes

Your poor realtor :woman_facepalming: I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Ok, calm down Karen

25 Likes

There is no way they can get a solid date right now your realtor isn’t trying to be difficult granted they should have communicated why this isn’t possible a bit better

1 Like

You can’t fire her now… is too late. You need to calm down. :weary:

3 Likes

Why the rush? There’s no law that says you have to move in immediately upon receiving keys :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

She works for you,you don’t for her.
Why should this be any kind of issue.
Fire her if you want,but remember you have a contract with the agency. SMDH!
Are these posts for real???:smiley::rofl:

1 Like

Lol wow. If I were your realtor I’d fire myself.

15 Likes

I am a realtor and that’s just how it works. If she gives you an exact date and something happens that pushes the date back you would be pissed about that too.

18 Likes

Play your move a few days or at least a week later. Use the first few days to do a deep clean of the house and that way if there are any delays or glitches it won’t be a big deal.

5 Likes

First off, it’s not up to your realtor and second, :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Your in closing. And she’s right. You can’t fire her nice try though lol.

4 Likes

I guess I don’t see what the issue is with just requesting the time off after you get the closing date? Why do you need to know RIGHT NOW? Wait until you get your answer and then make arrangements :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: you’re buying the damn house, so unless it’s a matter of potential homelessness (which it doesn’t sound like it is) you’re being way to controlling and I feel bad for your realtor

You already signed a contract with her didn’t you?

1 Like

I don’t know where you live, but in my area … it wouldn’t be a big deal for the realtor to submit an amendment for the closing date. if the sellers agree than perfect, but they also have the option to decline.

3 Likes

No closings are set in stone. They are quite often rescheduled.
You’re this close, take an edible and relax. Let the agent do her job.
The more you demand, the less things will go your way.

10 Likes

If the house you are buying is not vacant they usually have 30 days…

1 Like

I’d explain to my job that I need of these dates. Not quite sure I understand needing the day before. Set up uhaul on the dates you can move in. I sincerely hope it works out for you all.

1 Like

Oh god I could imagine the :poop: that realtor has been through. I hope she is getting a great Commission….

15 Likes

Tell them you’re looking at another agent for the house. They always get their butts into gear when threat of another agent who will take their commission comes along

There’s nothing she can personally do about it. She’s right you have to wait until you sit down and meet about closing

1 Like

Yes fire her and START ALL OVER with a new agent…:woman_facepalming:t2:

Also ONCE AGAIN a post that has nothing to do with being a mother or parent in general

7 Likes

I’m an agent and you can fire her but I bet there is something in there that makes sure she is entitled to her commissions you’ll still have to pay for. She’s already done all the work and now it’s just hurry up and wait. Nothing is set in stone and ANYTHING can happen until you’re closed and funded. We don’t know until we know, which like she said could be just a few days before hand. Sorry, that’s just the way it goes when you don’t have a Crystal Ball.

5 Likes

U can’t move in prior to the date
It’s against policy. Let the agent do her job
Just plan to move a couple weeks after potential closing
Just rent the uhual early even though u don’t know exact date at least u have the u heal
Only thing is ur paying for it
And Relax!

1 Like

I just moved 5 hours away. My close was postponed 4 times and 3 weeks. In these times nothing is guaranteed. You don’t get a say. There are many wheels working in the close of an escrow.

7 Likes

You are at everyone’s mercy you don’t own the house until the closing! Just going to have to move when you have a date your husband is going to have to wait!

7 Likes

This is totally normal, you’re not able to move in until closing and closing can be rescheduled multiple times. It’s a rough process but all homebuyers experience this uncertainty and stressful process

Typically they have up to 30 days to be out after sale

3 Likes

You get the keys when you sign and pay

Sellers usually get 30-45 days to move once you close. It’s highly unlikely you will be able to move before then. It’s not your relators fault.

I feel bad for this real estate agent :flushed::woman_facepalming:t3:

Same here in UK, you don’t know for sure exactly when, just estimated when things are finalised and usually on a Friday. It sounds like you are wanting assurances that you can’t get. It’s also in their best interest to get everything signed off so it’s not like they are doing it to annoy you….

Just gotta go with it and hope for the best. It’s not up to your real estate agent even if they ask. It’s all about that contract.

our seller would nt let us move in 2 days early cause the title and money was done on Saturday had to wait til Monday night to get keys house was empty i was so pissed but i think ur to far in thr process to change sorry but good luck its stressful

You don’t! That wouldn’t be ideal because you may lose the house. I would just plan for the day they said for closing and move then.

Sellers usually have 30 days to vacate after closing. Unless its in writing that they will be out before. Closings are usually pushed back. Mine was delayed 6 weeks. Fire your agent, lose the house. Take a couple sick days & deal with it.

2 Likes

Your contract should say the rules on letting your agent go. Read all the fine print! Or it could get very expensive for you

We closed a week later than we were supposed to. We didn’t know until the day of signing.

The banks are in charge. That completely stupid to fire your realtor or that. This must be your first home purchase.

3 Likes

If closing is on a Wednesday you can close and not move in until that weekend and he doesn’t need to take off at all. If he can’t “get off” for closing he could call in sick or say one of your kids is sick. I know lying isn’t the best option but if his boss won’t let him off or a half day to close on his house then that doesn’t sound like somewhere I want to work. But for moving you can pack suitcases of stuff y’all needed for a week and have everything else boxed and ready and just move it yourself. But that also would be easier and faster for your movers if it was all ready! Good luck with everything!

4 Likes

Can’t move in until closing and then you may still have to wait

You can’t move in until closing and if you fire your agent you’ll be held liable for all costs. Also, this process moves at its own pace. Try letting the agent do her job without being “that person” ok?

4 Likes

Fire her as in you don’t want to pay her for the work she’s already done for you? Yeah that’s not ok.

Estimate the time and request the PTO. Request extra just in case. Your anxiety is not your realtor’s burden.

It’s hard to back out of a purchase agreement as well. My daughter did, but only after they discovered that the seller had a second mortgage he failed to disclose. the mortgage company wanted my daughter to pay it off, and she refused. She was able to back out of the purchase agreement without penalty, because of that.

1 Like

If they aren’t moved out, don’t sign the contract!! A friend of mine did this, and a year later, the prior owner is still there and can’t be evicted!

1 Like

Just tell them your not happy and don’t feel your a good fit

You probably signed a contract with your realtor and you’re approx. 3 weeks from closing. This is the name of the game unfortunately. Your husband just needs to go ahead and tell his work what day he THINKS you’ll close, if it changes he’ll tell them asap. Also even if it does change and the job says “no” can’t take that day off, he can always just call out. :woman_shrugging:t3:

So they did all the work, and you want to fire them for something that is completely out of their control?

Do you yell at waitstaff because the food in the kitchen takes too long?

If you want a date to move in, choose the date the house is officially yours. Problem solved.

That’s not a reason to fire your agent… specially just a few weeks before closing. It will cause chaos and push your closing.
Instead, why don’t you just plan for a date after you sign the papers and lessen the stress on you, your husband and your realtor.