How do I fire my realtor?

Mom of 3 here buying my first house! Im currently in closing on my first home and I want to fire my real estate agent. Closing on my home is 3

Weeks away. Ive been asking my agent for a week now to please contact the sellers agent to see when the sellers will be moved out and if we are able to move in a day before our commitment letter closing date. The reason ive been pushing this is because my husband needs to submit PTO to his job weeks before so we can move. Also,
uhauls go quickly in my area and we need to reserve the biggest truck and they are hard to come by on top of that we need to secure movers.
My agent refuses
To acknowledge my request and told us we wont know an exact date until a week or less when we sit down with the attorney to sign closing documents. Thats not enough time for my hisbamd and I to prepare for this move. Anyone mamas with any buying experience can share their wisdom with me or how to make my agent do what
Ive been requesting for over a week now, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

83 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fire my realtor? - Mamas Uncut

Once you are in contract it’s not wise to try and fire Realtor. Just go by the closing date! We closed on Friday and immediately started moving and was moved in my Sunday.

6 Likes

That’s normal. The closing date usually changes if the mortgage company doesn’t do their job. My closing moved back 3 times and made it two weeks past what we originally had set. I dontt think you can fire the realtor anyways bc usually you sign a contract with them. The house isnt yours until you sign the closing docs so you cant move into a house that isn’t yours.

10 Likes

I bought three homes, and yes you are being unreasonable, wanting to fire an agent when she gave you a reason as to why she can not go through with your request at this exact time. The closing date is that date for a reason (usually seller chooses) & is a day in advance really going to make that big of a difference in your moving plans and asking for PTO? Just plan for the closing date to move in at this point and if she is able to get a day earlier closer to the closing date start moving smaller items and save the big stuff for signing day.

22 Likes

You don’t own the house until you actually close and sign papers so you can’t move in before that. If you want to be sure your husband has off and you can move, I’d select a date after your commitment letter closing date to plan your movers and uhaul since you know you’d own it then. Assuming your current living situation is okay with that. I tried to have a cleaner come to my duplex before closing and that was a big NO also. So maybe your agent is just refusing to ask them because you simply, legally, can not move in before you own it. It could technically fall through any time before you both sign, from my understanding.

25 Likes

Its Likley because the sellers also need time to move. The sellers are the ones who typically make the closing date which is then set in stone during the signing phase. I sympathize with your situation but the sellers have a right to move when they can aswell and you would have known this. Its frustrating but firing your agent won’t change the date.

6 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fire my realtor? - Mamas Uncut

I knew my closing date a month before :woman_shrugging:

Its illegal for you to move in prior to closing. Banks are overwhelmed so closing dates aren’t as flexible as before. We purchased last year and ours was changed by bank because they weren’t ready. We found out a few days before, we had given up our place so had to stay in a hotel. Firing your realtor doesn’t seen fair at the end they’ve done all the work and deserve their commission. They may be trying to figure out a solution for you

67 Likes

The seller has to the day they sign at closing to move out.

6 Likes

I’m a mortgage lender and this is common. You have a sales contract that spells out when you would take occupancy. If you signed that and now want to move in earlier, that would require the seller to agree. In most states, possession is taken by 5pm on the day the loan funds and the sellers receive their money. There’s a lot that goes into the process. But long story short, your contract has a closing date and anything unforeseen isn’t the realtors fault. You’re asking them to guarantee something that is also in the hands of a lender, title company/attorney, appraiser, sellers, etc.

42 Likes

You can always contact the lender and see if you can close early, however if your three weeks away from closing you must know your closing date. Usually during your due diligence period is when you ask for early possession of the house. Im not sure when that would have been for you, but that’s when you negotiate rent, no rent, any early moves etc. As for uhauls you can rent weeks in advance. One extra day shouldn’t be to bad depending on where your moving, I get the stress (mama of 3 here moving across country from one side to the other next week) but there’s no point at which your realtor can do it now because negotiation periods are over now.

6 Likes

Realtor here. 2 things. 1, if you’re under contract you can’t fire your Realtor. You could technically have their broker reassign you to someone else in the firm, but that person would have 0 knowledge of your transaction and would make it much more difficult.
2nd part. Your contract states what day you close. Take that day and use it as your guideline. Some sellers are out first thing in the morning and some wait until 5pm. No buyers agent is going to be able to control that, and anything can happen. If it’s a vacant house there is a slight possibility you could get early possession but it is messy and most listing agents and sellers say absolutely no.

Lastly, this is VASTLY different in EVERY state. If your agent is ignoring you, contact her broker, but they may not be able to assist anymore than your agent is currently, Because anything can happen in 3 weeks.

19 Likes

I knew my closing date awhile before it happened. But the sellers have up until that date to move out. Sellers are in same boat as you. Waiting on lenders and making sure offers are through and appraisals, and the underwriter. There are many hands involved in house buying. I am sure pushing for that isnt helping. You knew you were house buying i literally had 24 hours to move 2 apartments and 4 kids into my house, when i purchased it.

I suspect your agent wants to “fire you.” Your request to move in even a day prior to closing is not okay. Since you won’t be the new owner until the closing is complete.
Your realtor cannot control what the seller wants or does. I never heard of people signing papers and not knowing an official closing date. Read your paperwork again.

26 Likes

Side note for everyone, answers will be VASTLY different by every state. Some you have to ask for early possession up front and some you can ask the day before closing. Laws and real estate contracts are so insanely different by every state. The true answer will only be relevant tot your state.

firing your realtor now would set you back even further… but go on boo, do you.

11 Likes

you want to fire your realtor because the process doesn’t work around your husband’s job? I’m sorry to sound salty when I say this, but that isn’t there a problem to work out for you, it’s yours. Perhaps your husband can go to his boss and explain the circumstances and they will work with him

21 Likes

Contact the sellers directly yourself.

It seems like you don’t truly understand the house process. Its not.suppose to work around your job. Your closing date should be listed in your contract. Second if you know you’re closing in 3 weeks and you can move in then have your husband request the time off for that date.

20 Likes

If you truly want to fire your realtor, you’ll need to look at your contract with them. I am not a realtor but have heard that if you want to “fire” your real estate agent and have that contract in place, you will have to see the “rules” if you can even get out of that contract - and if you do, I am pretty sure your realtor has to agree to it. The contract also says what day that you close on which can either give you immediate possession or depending on what you and your husband put in your offer for the home (or depending on current homeowners/sellers condition). My mom and her husband had bought their house but in their contract, the homeowners/sellers needed extra time to get out of the house after closing because of issues they had with the new house they were buying and the owner of that house not being very flexible. The market is crazy and has been since last year.

Is it possible for your husband to speak to his boss about what is going on? How far away is the new house from your house - is it possible to move bigger stuff that your husband can help with on his days off after you take possession of the house? Do you absolutely need a moving crew to come in - is it possible for you guys to get some loved ones together, offer to buy dinner and drinks, and have them help you move? Some people in my area always post on local pages for a few strong individuals with some trucks that can come help them move - they always offer cash, pizza, and drinks. I don’t know how you and your husband feel about any of that but it is just some food for thought :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Close dates get pushed back all the time

You can’t move into until the home is officially yours.

Go buy the contract.

4 Likes

If there’s a lender involved, it could be on them. Lenders often tell buyers, agents, and closing agents vastly different dates.

1 Like

You can’t move into the house before closing. The house doesn’t belong to you yet. The real estate agent can’t change the reality of ownership to accommodate your husband’s job.

12 Likes

It is usually lawyers and or paperwork that determine actual closing dates. Speak to employer about some flexibility. Rent the truck for extra days and put everything you can into it ahead of time

2 Likes

You sound peachy to work with :woozy_face:

14 Likes

You can’t fire your realtor now, they’ve already done basically the whole job. It’s not their fault there is a waiting period before closing.

27 Likes

You’re the problem… not the realtor.

33 Likes

Firing your lawyer right before close is not a good idea at all. House buying is a process and while yes you need to know when they will be moved out. You also have to trust the process.

You cant move in till the contract is signed. The buyers than have 30days to remove their stuff from the property unless other wise specified in the contract. We gave our buyers 60 days just bcuz we knew them. U fire ur realtor now u have to restart the process on ur own from the start.

12 Likes

We bought a home last year, our closing date was scheduled for July 23 and was changed the day before because the lender was super busy and couldn’t complete everything in time. It was then scheduled for July 31. Well, we did our part of the closing on July 31, but the sellers didn’t do their part until the next day, August 1. Until everything is signed and your closing is complete, anything can happen and the dates are not set in stone. If you need an absolute date, maybe you should schedule your move for a couple of weeks after the closing is scheduled. That way your husband can request off from work and it should work out fine.

11 Likes

OK, so you know your closing date, you know that the house will be empty for sure that day. Why not have your husband book time off now, for around closing, book your movers and such and just plan to move the after closing.

I guess I fail to see the need to change the move in date. You have a date already, so why not use that date and work around it rather then trying to be difficult over something silly.

Honestly I’m not a realtor, but I would want to fire you.

12 Likes

Closing dates change for SO many reasons. (Mostly due to lenders and insurance) Your realtor is doing her job correctly. If she would be to promise an exact date that would be a lie. You also cannot move in until contracts are signed, that’s protection for the seller. She’s following her job guidelines and the laws correctly. Be patient and respectful of the process. Your realtor has done her job. Buying homes is a long and tedious process, with SO many ppl playing a role. It takes a lot to coordinate everyone and every part correctly.

12 Likes

Go off your closing date. If you need to be in there before that date you need to ask to take early possession and possibly pay rent to the current owners. If the sellers know they may be able to get money for rent ahead of time, meaning they’d already be out, as long as you get renters insurance, you should be good. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have your realtor ask what the sellers intentions are for being completely out of the house. If it’s “We don’t know or we plan on being there until the closing date by 5pm” then so be it, at least you know.

we just bought a house and yes we found out our moving day (was closing day) a week or two before the actual day. however my boyfriend works 16+ hours a day and 6 days a week (if he’s lucky he gets 1 day off) i’m pregnant and we have a toddler and a cat. it was hard but between me and our one day we moved within two weeks after our actual moving day. it’s not always easy but sometimes you have to work around your husbands job and there’s not much you can do about it sadly.

1 Like

It definitely can be pushed back a month + the seller might not even have a home yet to move to. Housing market is hard you can sell your house fast but you can’t always find one to relocate to. You almost have to buy one before you put your own on the market. Be patient all good things come with time. Your husband needs to talk to HR and tell them he’ll be needing time off in the near future possibly in the next 60 days. Just to give them the heads up. We had to wait 2 months for ours to close our banker went on vacation during it and set it back.

Currently going through this process. We have the best agent. We wanted to ask the seller if we could use the garage for storage. She said it’s never a good idea to use the property in anyway until closing. Days before closing the bank dropped the sale. You never know what is going to happen. Your agent has your best interest in mind. It’s not a done deal until everything is signed at closing.

8 Likes

What does one day do for you lol :joy:

2 Likes

You can’t move in until you sign the contract :joy: It’s not a good idea to fire your realtor this close to closing :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

You’re being unreasonable. Closing dates can come up the week that you’re going to close. You can know 3 weeks ahead and it still won’t be the right date. It’s not your realtors fault. She has nothing to do with how fast documents get processed. You should instead thank her for dealing with you

13 Likes

Look in the mirror at your entitled self.

2 Likes

We couldn’t move a thing in until we closed. I don’t think that’s a reasonable request, unfortunately. He doesn’t have weekends or days off his job?

Pretty sure your realtor know what they are talking about , unfortunately you play that game when you buy a house that is still occupied

1 Like

Former Loan Processor here…There are legal ramifications regarding liability, should you move in before signing all the documents. Your homeowner’s insurance doesn’t take effect until you legally own the home. If you physically move in before, and something (catastrophic) happens, your insurance will not cover it, and neither will the seller’s. However, you don’t legally have any responsibility to the house and could (technically) just move out, leaving the sellers with a damaged house, and no legal course of action for repairs. Is this likely to happen? Probably not, but most sellers will not put themselves in such a situation. As for closings, I’ve been involved in scheduling (and rescheduling) hundreds. They are delayed more often than not, so it’s probably best to wait, and schedule your move date after the closing has already taken place. Hope this helps…

7 Likes

Oh, man, so much entitlement from this post. Sure, go ahead and fire the realtor and then start the whole process over again and get your move in date pushed back farther. Your best bet is to hire a moving company and have them move your stuff.

2 Likes

Ummm… that should have been in your contract with your offer… and disclosure. Check your paper work, should be in a second on when you take possession on your home and any amount of days after closing they have to vacate. Or like mine it says immediately lol

1 Like

Karen… the dates they give never stand so you will continue to be inconvenienced. The seller moves when the house is sold.

6 Likes

If you fire your realtor this late in the game, you could still be liable to pay them. They could argue that they found you the house and are entitled to their percentage. Unless you fire them and buy a different house that they didn’t show you, you’re going to have some serious issues.

3 Likes

You’ve got information on the seller by now. Contact them yourself.

We just bought a house and the seller was still in it a day after signing contracts because she asked us if it was okay due to her movers. We agreed cause stuff sucks right now. I hope you get your answer you’re not wrong for wanting one.

I’ve bought a few houses over the years. That’s how it works.

1 Like

We had to wait 30days after we closed to move in. Luckily they didn’t need that long and they let us move in like a week or 2 after our closing date.

In my state, once the contract is signed, all communications are done via the attorney. The agent may be a punching bag or ear to listen too but its not their fault. On top of that, ANYTHING can happen now to 3 weeks later. Dont put all your eggs in a basket. Used all my PTO too move, only to have my closing pushed back a month.

1 Like

Default move out/possession date is generally 30 days. Ask your agent for the date in your state & plan for that. Quit being unreasonable. Everyone will have schedules to meet.
If you want to fire your realtor, look at the contract you signed and go by that. The internet isn’t privy to that information.

7 Likes

I used to work at a bank and so many factors go into a closing date most if not all closing dates are usually given in less than a weeks notice. I dont understand those laughing at her question. This is her first time dealing with this situation, show some compassion.

My closing date changed 3 days before it was supposed to

Contact the sellers agent

I’ve bought 4 houses. The date of closing has always been the date I was able to move in. Generally they won’t allow you to move in before everything is finalized. The most recent house I purchased the closing date changed 3 weeks before closing and it was bumped up by a week.

1 Like

This is a you issue… they have done their job and they can’t pick the dates or times of closing. She can’t move it up or back. Plus you are in contract with them.

15 Likes

Your realtor is correct. You won’t know the exact date, and many times it changes, until the very end. It’s not your realtors fault

6 Likes

You cant move till you own the house…the date is agreed in advance. Once you’ve got the date and signed the papers you start making your arrangements in advance to move in on the agreed date. Its not rocket science …its the law

11 Likes

Call Chrissy Heintz Gatlin no one better!!! We found our first home and closed in 3 weeks with her!!!

You can’t move in prior to closing :woman_shrugging:t2: it’s technically not your property yet

6 Likes

The sellers move when the house is sold, you’ll cause more issues if you fire your realtor :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

Sounds too me like you trying to fuck over your realtor Karen. Girl please. You obviously never bought a house before.

Why do you want to move in the day before the closing? You stated you need to know for the uhaul and time off but you never said why that specific date matters.

Have you received final approval on your loan? If not, your realtor is just as much in limbo as you are right now. Conditional approval is not approval. If your loan hasn’t made it to closing yet with your lender, you have to wait for a final closing date. However, there should already be an estimated closing date for your loan for you to start making arrangements for moving.

6 Likes

You don’t fire your agent you stop being unreasonable and realize you are in the wrong.Firing them would set you back probably to the beginning of the process.This agent will probably be 1000 more times relieved than you ever could be when this process is over,I’m sure of that.

16 Likes

I think getting rid of your realtor with three weeks left would just make a bigger mess.

We were given the green light from our lender a week earlier than anticipated. We were ready to close and get it done, but the sellers couldn’t be out in time. Unless agreed upon prior, the sellers should be out the day you sign and receive the keys.

Even after closing, it took an additional two weeks for us to be moved in. That was the earliest the moving company could get us in.

1 Like

The closing date is not up to your realtor it is at the discretion of your lender. Be grateful for your realtor as they do a lot of work behind the scenes to get you the house of your dreams. Believe me, your realtor wants the closing just as much as you do, so they can move on with their next sale. Certain things in life just have to happen a certain way. Buying a home private party might’ve been your route to go if you wanted to pick your own dates or deadlines, however just remember all of the little details your realtor helped you work through, throughout the process!

4 Likes

You can’t move into a house until you sign on the 50 dotted lines at closing. Seller isn’t going to risk you moving your stuff in until they know they’ll get their money at closing. Neither your agent or you can do anything about the closing date. It’s all on your mortgage company/bank and closing attorneys to possibly rush the process. I had to move out 1 week early & put my stuff in storage because closing docs wasn’t ready for another week. I honestly do not think your realtor would want to be your realtor anymore in the future and really wants to get this deal done ASAP to get rid of you. You sound unreasonable. That’s the nicest way I can put this. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

You have not closed on the house yet so technically not your house and if you start packing now by the time you do close on the house you should have at least 95% of your house packed.

9 Likes

The agent can’t give you specifics if you haven’t even been cleared to close! You may have been given an estimated closing date, but that is all it is - an estimate. We got our clear to close email 3 days before closing. Unfortunately, it’s part of process … the sellers have to be out at the time ownership changes at the title office and all docs are signed. Until then, it’s not your house. They don’t care that your husband has to request PTO weeks in advance. They have a system and process they have to follow. Firing your realtor will be more of a headache than a relief. It still won’t change the process.

The date of closing they need to be out, thats the days its your

You can’t move in prior to closing. So you want to fire your agent who had done all the work up until now and then they’d not get paid. There’s nothing the realtor can do. There’s other people involved. The homeowner selling the home and the title company doing the closing on your home.

10 Likes

Just from experience, you won’t know the exact closing date till closer to time, the date can change for multiple reasons on that date or before, and NO they usually won’t let you move in prior to closing for various reasons main one being what if something happens and the loan doesn’t go threw?? Then they have to go through the eviction route to get you out! Unfortunately until you sign the papers you won’t always have the information you want. Good luck

1 Like

You can’t force anything until you begin the closing process and sign the papers. You should of discussed a move in date from the moment you made offer. It’s the seller who usually picks the date to move out seems your just in a hurry and that ain’t her problem fire her see how much longer the process take.z

5 Likes

You can’t move in before you own the house, firing the realtor probably won’t do anything but put you back at square one.

Just be patient there’s a process for these things and none of it is the realtors fault.

4 Likes

This all sounds like a “you” problem :woman_facepalming:t2: figure it out. You can’t move into a house you don’t even own yet just because it’s convenient for you. That’s not how the world works. And as for the realtor, why would you fire someone who did all that work for you just because you didn’t get what you want? Sounds like you “want to pay less commission”

8 Likes

You’d find a more exact timeliness by calling the title company as well as your bank and asking for ballpark estimates but they will be just that an estimate. If you fire your agent the process starts over, and this person took time out of their lives to show you houses and find the right house. Your contract is now with them as well and you can be sued.

3 Likes

When you get a closing date and need to be out before, rent the moving truck for the day you move and keep your things in it an extra day, paying the rental. Be sure to keep it in a safe area overnight. You may need to stay in a motel or hotel for a day or so if you move out a day early. Think about possible solutions to your problem that does not affect others. I never had that problem but have only purchased 3 homes so far and we moved on or the day after closing.

Is “realtor” the American term for an estate agent?

2 Likes

A lot can happen in 3 weeks. Any realtor isn’t going to be able to tell you a date until closer to day. And the seller can change it at the last minute if it doesn’t work with their schedule. Firing your realtor now is just sorry. They went through all the work and now at the end you want to fire them and they won’t get paid. All bc you don’t understand how buying a house works. Sorry your husband’s job is strict but that’s your problem.

12 Likes

You cannot move into. House before escrow closes. All parties need to make sure the loan goes through. You also don’t want to be renting or putting extra charges on ur credit before closing because they run a last credit check before approving the loan a day or so before closing.

4 Likes

Till you sign it’s not yours and dates get moved for alot of reasons. To fire your realtor would be a butthole move. They did so uch work to get you to the point your atband then to not pay them? If you do I hope the other realtor has the offer pulled.

No you cannot move in a day early. The house is not officially yours until the deed is recorded by the county and you have keys in hand. He probably doesn’t want to ask because it’s a ridiculous request.

And unfortunately, the closing day is an estimate. It’s not guaranteed to happen that day for numerous reasons.

5 Likes

This isn’t your realtors fault. This is standard. It’s not your house yet. You’ll likely have to make it work or don’t buy it lol

5 Likes

As a title abstractor, I am here to tell you that your real estate agent is NOT lying to you. And, there is absolutely nothing they can do to change a thing. Also, no - you can’t move in until the house is actually yours, and that happens AT closing. You’re just going to have to wait to move in until sometime after closing instead of immediately upon it, or figure things out as it happens. I hate to tell you this - but the entire mortgage and real estate industry isn’t going to change to accomodate you. :woman_shrugging:t3: It is what it is. And at this point, that real estate agent has earned their commission - ESPECIALLY since it sounds like you’re a pretty entitled person to deal with.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure if you “fire” the agent the closing won’t happen at all! :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Oh so instead of following regular protocol… you want to fire your realtor for doing his job? Only because you cant get your way. Do you realize you cant move into someone elses house until it becomes yours​:roll_eyes::woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

If you’ve signed a contract with your realtor and you fire them while under that I’m pretty sure you have to pay their 3% atleast that’s how our contract worked.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they can’t allow you to move in prior to closing? Because it’s not officially sold to you until then? I could be wrong, I have never purchased a home

2 Likes

You should be able to move the day of your closing and sellers need to move out before that too. You do a walk thru the day of closing and sellers should be out.

4 Likes

Firing the agent this far along is just going to set u back. Its not yur home until closing. Its owning a home not renting alot of differences. As for your husband’s job part … I got nothing maybe he take a day off bc the world does not revolve around you

7 Likes

If you fire your agent this late in the game, I can assure you there will be bigger problems than taking PTO days.

That could potentially mess up the whole process. Plus you are in a contract with your agent, so that’s a another problem.

We bought a house this year our closing date changed 3 times. You have to be flexible that’s the bottom line. No way around that.

19 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned at all because I didn’t read through all of the comments but if you’re husband can’t take off for settlement, let your Realtor and attorney know and there may be a chance to have him sign beforehand, then only you go. I’ve done this for out of state clients of mine. As a Realtor myself, trying to fire your agent just weeks before settlement is a hard blow. We don’t get paid until you close, if you fire them (and if you signed a buyers agent contract, they can still hold you accountable for their portion of the commission) they wouldn’t get paid for the weeks and months of work they’ve put into this deal, and that’s just wrong morally. I’ve never seen it where a buyer gets into the house before settlement. If there was a chance then you would most likely have to pay rent, sign a whole rental agreement, and that is something that should’ve been negotiated in the beginning, not weeks before closing. If you knew this issue you should’ve made your agent aware from the very beginning. Although with the way the market is, adding a contingency with such a high liability for the sellers to the negotiations, you may not have gotten the house. This is just how it goes with real estate unfortunately, there is a lot of behind the scenes work that factors into closing especially with the loan. Good luck to you, but for your Realtors sake (as a fellow Realtor) you take time to find another solution than firing them.

9 Likes

We knew r closing date the day we signed the contract then the bank needed 2 more weeks so my closing took 2 months

1 Like

First of all you probably signed a contract with your agent… im sure you are aware of that. Second you realtor is correct. Closing isn’t set in stone. Things can change. Just how life is :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

This is completely normal and if you fire your agent it will delay the whole process and you might even lose the house

5 Likes

Hey so home buyer here… my original closing date was 2 months earlier than my actual closing date. I didn’t know until THE DAY OF signing that I would be signing documents. You can’t make this process go by any faster.