How do I fix a birth certificate?

Contact the hospital where your child was born. Ask them to help you file a vs24 form. That specific fix requires hospital records to prove the correct date. The vs 24 requires 2 signatures. Its much easier to correct that mistake with one parent signing and one birth clerk signing.

I do this for a living. You need 2 items that show her birthdate as the correct (more helps if you have it) original record from the hospital will work, school records will work, medical records will also work. Also, call the county that holds the record and see if they can pull the original that the hospital had, they can use it too and it should be in their system. You’re lucky, that’s an easy correction, there are some people I’m helping that are having to go to court to get the name change done.

2 Likes

I had to go to the county clerk and then court to get mine fixed when they had my moms birthday wrong. It was quick but cost me a feee and now it says amended but I have no issues with passports etc

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fix a birth certificate? - Mamas Uncut

My date is off by one day as well. I have had to just deal with it my whole life. I legally celebrate 25th but my actual date is 26th. When very young I just was told 25th by parents and later my parents started celebrating 26th. I get two birthdays now! Funny thing is that I don’t even like birthdays! Lol

Some places may not let you change it. I was passed out after giving birth to my son… So his dad filled out & submitted the birth certificate before I got to check it over. My son’s 1st name was spelt wrong & he put my mom’s married last name instead of my maiden name. After getting out of the hospital, I went down to have it fixed & they said I couldn’t.

Looks like you celebrate on the 22nd. She’ll never know if you don’t tell her, beside… who really cares anyway as long as her SS # is registered with the date on the birth certificate, it’s all good :+1:

My son’s middle name is King (family name) it reads ing on his birth certificate.Never changed it.

Your have to go to where you can get the birth certificate and ask them what they need. My father was born may 11 but his always said may 12, he was in his 40s when he noticed it and never changed it

My son was supposed to be Luke Sidney but they put it Sidney Luke. So his name is now Sidney Luke but goes by Luke!

1 Like

I would suggest you have your hospital records showing correct information and go to Dept of Vital Records. Make sure the hospital put correct date on everything first.

5 Likes

That would not be a problem for my daughter she has always celebrated the whole week!!! The whole month if she could!!!:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

my grandmother says my mom was born June 9th…the state of Florida says June 10th…I believe my grandmother…she was there afterall!!..lol

1 Like

My mom the same thing…we didn’t notice until she was in her '80s when we saw her birth certificate…

We changed our daughter’s name one day after husband had it recorded. They wouldn’t remove it but drew a line through it. Of course this was done at the court house but a birthday should be in hospital records.

Health department issues them for most counties/cities. Contact them

Go to the courthouse

Call hall of record’s !!

They put incorrect age for me on my son’s bc :roll_eyes:🤦

My marriage license had the wrong day it was 17th but had 18th lol just never changed it

I was born in 1985 and my birth certificate says 1987

My youngest sons says the 19 instead of the 20. I don’t care because I wanted him to be born on the 19th on his brothers birthday. He is now 40!!!

Health Department in the county she was born and for 10.00 dollars they will send a correct birth certificate

1 Like

My daughter was born just after midnight but her birth certificate shows she was born at noon :woman_shrugging:t2:. I have never thought of getting it corrected :woman_facepalming:t2:.

For the longest time I thought my daughter was born on the 26th until I got my daughters birth certificate and it said the 25th so just left it as is because I could have been the one to have days messed up

You have to call or go and get a form to fill out and get a new birth certificate

1 Like

Hope this helps

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/dca/dcabirth.htm

You have to petition the court and get a copy of your medical records to prove you gave birth on the date you say you did. Your medical record would reflect that.

The people that don’t change their stuff after realizing there’s been a mistake blow my mind. Thats wack

3 Likes

Did it ever occur to you to lookup the friggin contacts for LA county on your internet instead of asking a question on wastebook that a grade schooler could figure out!!!

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I fix a birth certificate? - Mamas Uncut

Something was spelled wrong on one of my son’s birth certificate and I only realized it when I had to buy him a plane ticket a couple of years later. I had to go to the birth certificate office in the hospital and they had to re submit some paperwork. Luckily I work there

2 Likes

I had to amend my birth certificate due to my middle name was misspelled. I contacted the vital statistics in Erie County New York to get the information to do this. It required my mom to verify that she meant to spell it differently but she had died 4 years ago so I had to send a copy of my baptism certificate to verify what her intentions were. I sent the required information along with the fee and was sent an amended certificate.

I’m pretty sure she is entitled to two birthdays now. :rofl: this is a really funny story to tell her when she’s older.

3 Likes

Good question cause they spelled my name wrong on my sons😂

2 Likes

In West Virginia, they require a government issued identification as proof to correct the spelling of my sons middle name :smirk:…… isn’t the birth certificate the ONLY government issued identification for a child?

My mothers name on my birth certificate is spelled wrong she never got it fixed lol

Good question. Happened with my son in Missouri as well.

You will have to go to the hospital first and get appropriate paperwork, they should re submit.

I think you have to go down to court and legally get it changed.

1 Like

There is a form and you have to pay for a new one… happened to us too my sons they put he was born in 2005 but he was born in 2006… we didn’t even know until he started junior high and they told us he was behind a grade.

When I was 23 I noticed mine was wrong. The date it said it was filed was 11 months before I was born. I just call the state health department and they fixed it and mailed me a new copy

I found out I was listed as a male when I went to get my social security card updated after I got married :woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

When I got my sons birth certificate his name was wrong it was supposed to be Kerrigan- Mikal Harris but they put Kerrigan Mikal-Harris and told me I had to pay 250 dollars to fix it :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: so now 17 years later he has 2 middle names instead of 2 first names lol

1 Like

Bureau of vital statistics in California where born

Take the medical records to vital statistics.

I live in Wisconsin and had to get a birth certificate from Colorado because I lost mine took me a year :expressionless:

You can go to the health department.

Go to the courthouse and talk to the agent of records there.

Might be easier to just get use to the date on the birth certificate :wink:

Here in Indiana, you have to go to the court house to change it. Just depending on the office, they could charge you as well! That’s why my grandma is 92 years old, and her birthday says ‘Aug 2nd’ when is really ‘Aug 12th’… over 90 years, and the women still refuses to pay to have it corrected :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t4: Anyway, i hope they don’t charge you! See if you can’t print the forms online and I’m sure it’ll save you a ton of time waiting there to fill stuff out. Best of luck!!

1 Like

I had to fix my son’s birth certificate through the office at the hospital, they submit a letter to correct the mistakes and then you can go pick up a new one.

In CA my name was spelled wrong… File the paperwork for the amendment, pay the small fee… wait for the return. But will then become 2 pgs. The original and the amended page.

2 Likes

They put the wrong month on my memes and it still hasn’t been fixed to this day and she’s in her 50s :rofl:

They spelled my middle name wrong. Had to go to state capitol to get it fixed

…………… let me go double check ours​:eyes::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Contact the county clerk of the town the birth certificate was created. They will know what you have to do. Every state is different. It can be fixed and they might issue a new corrected birth certificate. Mine only had my last name on it. They fixed it and issued me a corrected birth certificate. I had to provide personal documents to prove who I was :blush:. I used my kids birth certificates that had my name on them​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My dads had no date on his when he want in to get it fixed they had 4 Different days so he had to pick one

They didn’t list my daughters father on hers it said “not present” or something but he was there with me the entire time apparently he didn’t date it … I went to multiple notaries cause that’s what I says on the back and no one can figure it out :unamused::sob:

When I had my daughter by c-section the lady did it for me because I was in the ice after she put my kids name wrong and I signed it when she didn’t let me read it to correct

It will make a difference if you ever get a passport, serve in the armed forces, or try to collect Social Security if it is still around, and many other times. My birth certificate has an added area on the side that says “corrected birth certificate.” It is the original except I was supposed to be a Jane an it read Jean. They drew a line through Jean and wrote Jane above it. It’s easier if you do it now rather than later.

Mistakes on Birth Certificates if not corrected will cause many future problems. Happened to me.