How do I get my son to stay in his seat belt?

So mommies I have a serious question? How do I get my son to stop taking off his seat belt? It’s scary and so dangerous… for the most part hes good and keeps it on but when he does take it off its literally at the worst possible times… I dont know what to do please help… he’s 3 and in a high back booster. His height and weight are appropriate for his seat.

39 Likes

I’m pretty sure the minimum age for a high back booster is 5! He technically is safest rear facing in a 5 point harness but at the very least if you must forward face him he should still be in a ff 5 point harness! 3 is way too young for a booster for the exact reason you mentioned, they’re not mature enough to sit still and stay buckled. I am in no way bashing you either so please dont take it that way! For accurate car seat safety please look Into joining the group @CarSeat Safety

8 Likes
1 Like

I might get shamed for this but when my daughter was able to undo her 5 point I had her watch a show about cops, then I told her they don’t take the adults if kids are undone they take the kids and when I heard her undo the buckled scream on no I see a cop they are going to take you. It only happened about2 times after that. She did fine until about age 5 then she started undoing her seatbelt when we turned onto our road or if I parked the car and she wouldn’t ask she would just unbuckle so one day stepped on the break I wasn’t going fast I was pulling into the drive way but she had to stop herself with her hands. Iv never had this issue again

4 Likes

You need to have him in a 5 point harness still like the one up from infant car seat

1 Like

I told mine HE WILL DIE if we crash. Also that its the law and police will take him to jail if they see him unbuckle. I may just be terrible, lol, but he does not unbuckle.

4 Likes

My three year old is still in a 5pt harness for that very reason.

1 Like

Put him back in a 5 point. If he won’t leave the belt alone he isn’t ready to be in that

2 Likes

should be in a 5 POINT HARNESS …

2 Likes

When my son was that age I had the same problem. So I stopped a policeman and asked him to explain to my son why we have to wear seatbelts. The policeman was awesome and went into great detail. I never had a problem after that conversation

4 Likes

He’s not ready to be in a booster.

4 Likes

Agree with the above comments. He’s not ready for a booster.

Even at 7, my daughter is still in a five point and will be until she maxes it. And she isn’t below the charts on her size.

14 Likes

This is the seat we use

Its not just a height and weight requirement that need to be reached.
They have to be able to sit still, stay in the proper position AND not attempt to unbuckle.

It is safest if he stays in a 5 PT harness until he reaches these other milestones.
They make seats that grow until they are much older. I just removed the harness from my 6 yr olds seat over spring break.

6 Likes

My son is 3 and is in a 5 point harness and knows how to unclip the chest piece and wiggles himself out of the car seat… im trying to figure away to keep him from unclipping it while me or my husband are driving or even when we are parked or get home he is already half way out of his car seat cause he undoes the chest clip

You need to go back to a 5 point harness. Cant take that away until they are mature enough to sit and leave it alone.

4 Likes

5 point harness, need I say no more?

1 Like

My stepdaughters six and still in a five point because she won’t act right. Her five year old brother sits fine in a high back. Switch your son back!

He needs to be in a five point harness. If he still unhooks it they have things that make it impossible

Unless your kid is shaq he needs to be in a five point seat.

7 Likes

I told my twins that I would put them back in their baby seats if they unbuckled before I turned the car off. I also no longer have to lock the windows or doors.

Has anyone invented an all-covering padded, locking-type thing to hide the release mechanism so it can’t be released without parental help?

Here come the car seat police :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

My 2 year old is 41lbs and a
3 1/2 ft talk. He is in a 5 point but facing forward due to his leg length and weight. Just switch back to the 5 point and face him forward till he knows that is a NO NO getting out of his seat.

1 Like

This is what happens when parents don’t unbuckle the child themselves when ready to get out of the car. They let the child/children do it themselves and then have this very problem.

6 Likes

Just because his height & weight is “appropriate” for the seat, doesn’t mean he should be in it!! It’s not safe and clearly he can’t sit in it correctly. My son will be 7 this summer and still in a 5pt harness. He could be in a high back or a low back booster. But he rides better in a harnessed seat, so I found one that fits his size. Your son needs to be in a 5pt harness. It’s not safe for him to be in a booster, some ppl still have their 3 yr olds rear facing. I would HIGHLY recommend a 5pt harness. If you get in an accident, it could be fatal for him, and if he by some chance lives, he’ll be seriously hurt

8 Likes

If he doesnt have the maturity level to sit in a booster correctly and safely then he doesnt need to be in one. My son will be 6 Thursday and is still in a forward facing carseat because his life is not worth risking just because he fits the criteria to move up.

7 Likes

Have you actually taught him how to take it off? My son is 4 and doesn’t. Your son must be the hulk if he can press that red button!

1 Like

While his height and weight are “right” for the seat he is not developmentally ready to be in one. There’s a page on Facebook if you have a questing and they aren’t super judgmental. Car seats for littles!

3 Likes

My son is 2 & in a graco, convertible 5point harness car seat and we have no idea how to keep him in his seat… depending on his “mood” he will unbuckle as soon as I’m back in the drivers seat. I’ve even tried googling child safety car seat locks… apparently car seats are supposed to be child proof lol :joy: if you figure it out… let me know

1 Like

My step dad scared the living shit out of me and my sister one day… We were in his trans am and we were buckled in the back seat so he sped up to like 60 mph on a back road and slammed on his breaks and said “this is why you wear your seatbelt. If you weren’t wearing it you would have gone straight out the windshield.” :joy::joy::joy: never did it again.

What I did with our son is I kindly came across a police woman whilst she was doing school patrol and asked if she minded giving our 4 year old a quick chat about the importance of a seat belt and making sure to not play with the buckles, it solved the problem!.. She was very kind about it and it never happened again lmao…

3 Likes

My son use to take his strap and loosen his straps on his 5 point harness and take off the shoulder straps one day I had enough and put on the brakes pulled over and redid it and scared the heck out of him I told it wasn’t safe and he could get hurt mommy doesn’t want to see him hurt after that he didn’t touch his straps or his seat belt

3 Likes

Kids can still unlock 5 point harnesses lmao

4 Likes

Call an officer and set up a time to come in and have them show your son car seat safety. Or put him back in a five point harness.

His height and weight may be appropriate but his age and maturity isn’t. He needs to be able to sit and stay seated and belted in. He needs to be back in a 5 point harness

He should have a harness till hes 6