How do I go about getting car seats replaced after an accident?

The question can u post anonymously? I was just in a car accident with both of my children yesterday (I was not at fault) was alright just really scary for car seat replacements. Doesn’t the insurance company replace them, or does the manufacturer replace them. I’ve read about one or the other but wasn’t sure who to ask first I have yet to ask and am going to just wanted to hear other people’s thoughts and what the process was ban for getting replacements.

12 Likes

The insurance co replaced mine

1 Like

Insurance company. They’ll usually ask if you had any car seats in the vehicle, if they don’t, definitely mention it.

1 Like

If you have full coverage insurance will replace them… we had to go buy the one we wanted and they repaid us the money

When you speak to the insurance agent make sure you tell them both of your children were sitting in their car seats and that you need to replace them. Years ago mine had us submit receipts and they reimbursed.

2 Likes

When I was in a car accident the other drivers insurance company gave me money for a new carseat. I did have to cut the straps on it and take pictures and send them to the insurance company.

2 Likes

CarSeat Safety is a FABULOUS group and can answer this question and literally whatever else you want to know/ didn’t know you needed to know. I have learned an incredible amount from this group.

1 Like

When I was in an accident I had to send a picture of the car seat and the sticker on it and they sent me a check for the car seats that were in the vehicle so I could replace them! Glad you and your babies are okay!

1 Like

When my husband was in a accident with our car seat base in the car the insurance wrote us a check to cover the cost of a replacement I just had to send them the info on it and the cost

My insurance company said they wouldn’t if there wasn’t any damages to them

Call your insurance company

Contact the car seat company as well and let them know about the accident and that you are really glad you’re kids were in those seats. They might give you a coupon or even replace them for free.

1 Like

When I got in a car wreck the insurance company had deposited a check into my bank account the same day to replace my sons car seat we were not at fault and they didn’t have to investigate bc the girl who caused the wreck admitted fault it was a pretty bad wreck but my kids weren’t with my husband and I thank god but they had me email them the pic of the car seat I had offline and they gave me the money for a new one instantly I had the forever car seat

Their insurance company is responsible for replacing them but if it’s like when we got hit be prepared for a fight, don’t back down and if needed print information from the car seat manufacturer showing they must be replaced after a wreck that’s what got ours replaced

10 Likes

I’ve heard the insurance covers it. I would ask them first.

Insurance company should

I personally called the company itself & got a free replacement. Not sure how it goes with the insurance company though.

The insurance. I hit a cow a few years ago and had car seats in the back, I mentioned it to the insurance guy inspecting the van, he also inspected the car seats.

I was hit by a tow truck with my son in the car. Insurance company made us cut the straps on the seat and send them pictures to replace it and they replaced it with one most similar to it.

I was hit by a woman who was texting and drove through a red light. My baby was two. Her insurance first said no to replacing it then offered $50. I threatened to get a lawyer involved since she was at fault. They told me to buy whatever I needed and send in the receipts. I can’t remember what it was but it was not cheap. I think it was over $300.

Buy new car seats and keep the receipt and file as part of your claim for damages on the car.

Any bump to a car car seats have to be replaced I’ve been told by insurance company. U tell the insurance company there were car seats in the car that need replacement now and they will replace them
I’ve been through this insurance usually doesn’t give a hard time about it.

My insurance company sent us a check to replace our car seats. (Mercury)

Its either the insurance or you that has to replace them. Some insurances will cover them and some won’t. Insurance plans differ widely so no one can tell you for sure. Just because someone’s was covered that doesn’t mean yours will cover them. Contact the insurance company. If they say no you can try showing them the car seat manual that shows it needs to be replaced or contact the company and get a letter. It might help but might not. They may say it doesn’t need to be replaced so if they won’t cover it will have to come out of your own pocket.

1 Like

I had an accident with my kids in the car a guys smashed straight in the back of me.! My insurance company replaced all 3 cars seats for us😊
Call your insurance company and ask them though because they won’t say anything until you ask.!

with mine i had to replace them and just sent the insurance company the receipt and they reimbursed me, they also disposed of the old ones.

Insurance replaces them

Insurance will cover it because it was damaged as a result of the accident. Even if there was no damage. If the agent tries to say that let them know they need to be replaced even in the slightest accident. I doubt they would say this now, but 12 years ago when my son was a baby we were rear ended, no damage to the seat so the at fault party’s insurance agent tried to tell me they didn’t need to replace it. As soon as I argued it they backed down and cut me a check the next day.

I had full coverage insurance when I had my accident. I had 2-$380 car seat in my car at the time. I spoke to my insurance company. They had me purchase the car seats and send them a receipt with pics of the new ones and then they reimbursed me the price of the seats.

State patrol may give you new ones also

The insurance company replaces them. With my insurance (Geico) I just had to send them screenshots of the car seats I had in my car with the prices (like screen shots from amazon of the product, product name and price) and they sent me a check immediately to replace the car seats. I had brand new car seats in a little over 24 hours after my accident because they over night me the check.

1 Like

From experience if you have a accident with car seats in the vehicle insurance will provide you with new car seats

I just dealt with this in an accident that wasnt my fault. I bought it and his insurance reimbursed me. Just make sure you tell them there was a car seat! It has to be a comparable carseat to the one you had and then I had to send pictures with the straps cut on the old one. They were really good about it and didnt give me a hard time or anything they just said it had to he comparable which we got the exact same one anyways.

I had to buy the car seats and send the receipt to the insurance person working on the claim. Then I was reimbursed.

I was hit from behind with my daughter carseat and stroller in the car (daughter was home asleep with my mom thank god) but his insurance company covered the cost for both items

When I was in an accident in October 2018, I was not found at fault. The other person’s insurance had to cover cost of replacement for both car seats that were in the car. I had to buy them, submit proof of purchase, and their insurance company reimbursed us. We fought for a year to get the rest of what was owed to us.

We had to threaten litigation over the entire accident. That is when his insurance company finally gave up.

Your insurance should reimburse you or the other people’s insurance depending on how you file a claim

Insurance, call ur broker

This was very good post with a great question. I haven’t been in an accident with my children, but now I know what to expect regarding car seats. :+1:t3:

Insurance isn’t required to replace. There only two states insurance legally has to replace them in which is Illinois&California ! The manufacturer aint responsible for replacing it either!

1 Like

Someone hit me with my car seat in my back seat, Statefarm was her insurance company, Progressive mine. Both refused to pay, had to buy a second one myself.

1 Like

The person at fault is responsible for replacing them just as the are responsible for any damage to your car.

I bought a new car seat the day after we were in a crash when my daughter was 1, couldn’t exactly wait for insurance because we had appointments to go to and I wasn’t putting my baby in the car without a car seat

The at fault drivers insurance will replace the car seats either by A.) reimbursement for the car seat you purchased after the accident or B.) they will order you a car seat. In our situation they reimbursed us but set a cap on price and made us send in the cut straps of our old car seat.

1 Like

I was in an accident on Thanksgiving day couple years ago. Definitely not at fault. We were parked and about to get out of the car and the guy who had an ATV in the bed (it was a pick up truck) was blocking his rear view mirror and he was backing out and he didn’t see us. Contacted his insurance and they were going to replace the car seat but we needed a receipt. (Too much hassle for me, so just went out and bought a new one and didn’t bother submitting to the insurance)

1 Like

You need to get prices and pictures of the seats you had and present it to your lawyer/insurance company for reimbursement

You buy them and submit receipts to insurance

1 Like

Talk with insurance company.

In Canada most insurance companies reimburse the price of the seat

Your insurance company or the insurance company of the other driver.

You buy new ones and report how it cost to replace them. The insurance company adds it in to the amount of your settlement. If you are the one getting rid of the old ones, cut them in half, don’t just throw them away (advice from my mom’s insurance company after her wreck).

1 Like

Their insurance if they don’t have insurance yours should replace. And then you should cut them up and dispose of them so nobody can use them for safety reasons. Sometimes the ins company request them back too thougb

My insurance company replaced them when I was rear ended . I think all insurance companies are different as to how they go about it mine asked for info about the seat and sent me a cheque in the mail with the amount for a new one . I had no issues with them replacing mine .

1 Like

After an accident, insurance company of the guy that hit us, told us to buy replacement seat and submit receipt for reimbursement

Insurance should replace them

I just had to show my insurance what car seats I had and they bought me similar ones!

My insurance company sent me money to replace them and they had to pay it back. I got $600 for my two cars seats. You will need receipts or something to show the value of each.

1 Like

My car insurance reimbursed me for a new one!

My sister’s car was hit while parked and the insurance company replaced hers she had to send pics with the cut straps to prove they had been destroyed

I am glad you and your children are ok. :boom::100::revolving_hearts:

My husband was in an accident 3 years ago. Not at fault and no kids in car, thank God. But, one of the car seats was still there. He had gotten a lawyer for it and got the money for a replacement through the other guy’s insurance company. We didn’t need a receipt they just looked up the seat and based it off that. Every state might not be the same though. Check with your insurance

I called my insurance company and they asked what car seat I wanted and they sent the money to my bank account so I could buy it.

The at fault insurance company pays to replace them.

When we got into our accident about 5yrs ago, hit by a lady who ran a red light talking on her phone, we were told that we had to buy the replacement seat and send the receipt to the insurance company and they send a check.

Three insurance claims in the past year, got a new car seat every time from insurance. No matter how small the accident is, replace the car seat, just cut the straps before throwing away