How do I introduce my 6 year old daughter to a man I am interested in?

If you don’t spend a lot of time together then you don’t really know this guy. Your relationship can grow without him meeting your daughter. It sounds like your not even officially dating and just talking and that’s too early for him to meet her. It’s a very new relationship.

3 Likes

Idk 3 months kinda too soon I didn’t introduce my 6 rd old at the time to my new man till 6 months

Every one is different. My fiancé met my son about 2 weeks in but as a friend. I told him if my son got a bad vibe or they didn’t get along , it wouldn’t work. My daughter met him shortly after that. Both kids adore him. It worked for us

3 Likes

“I think I really like him”…
It’s to soon to introduce your daughter to him if you’re not even sure of your feelings. Take it slow!

6 Likes

3 months is extremely early.

2 Likes

Introduce him as your friend for now, go out somewhere in public. See how it goes. My husband passed away when my kids were 7 & 8. They had never known me with anyone else but they had plenty of experience meeting mom and dads family and friends.

I met someone and I introduced him as my friend first. I didn’t force them on eachother. They have a dad and I don’t want anyone to feel like he’s being replaced. Anyways, they didn’t seem to mind him. They’d come around and talk to him a little and wander off to do whatever they were doing. I would check in with them as months passed and make sure they were okay with him around. They like him and frequently will ask me about him or consider him, paint for him, bring little treasures home for him etc. Let things happen naturally.

6 Likes

What ever you do, don’t start letting this guy watch your child. I see so much of that on the web, it all ways turns out bad.

4 Likes

Honestly some ppl give advice and truly have no clue what they’d really do if in that situation. It’s easy to say what you would and wouldn’t do until you’re there. I know I had said “I’d never” and life had a funny way of humbling me. Go with your gut momma! 3 months might be “too soon” for others, but may might be the best thing you ever do. You never know!! I was judged a lot. I was widowed with 2 small kid’s. I started dating someone and we hit it off. My kid’s met him after 2 months and we are married and have been together over 6 years. By far the best relationship I’ve been in. You know your relationship and your daughter most! Wish you the best :heart:

15 Likes

I wouldn’t introduce my children to a man I’ve just been talking to for 3 months who I “think” I really like. Get to know him better. Your daughter deserves for you to wait. It could be emotionally harmful to her if she would get attached to him and it didn’t work out.

3 Likes

I waited 2 years before my kids met some one I was with. 3 months isn’t long enough

7 Likes

Girl just do what YOU think is right, you know your daughter better than we do. Obviously take precautions bc the world is full of scary people. But you deserve a chance to be happy again after being single for so long. Good luck!

5 Likes

I didn’t until a year to know it was serious

1 Like

My opinion: If you only think you really like him them hold off. You can definitely grow your relationship without him meeting your daughter until you’re more serious.

6 Likes

I introduced my boyfriend to my kids 4 months after. Nothing bad happened. We knew what we wanted in life and for a relationship. The kids and him connected so good!

5 years later… they call him dad and still run out side when he gets home. Love to be around him

They are now 11 and 13. You do what your heart says.

2 Likes

My opinion you truly should spend some time with said man alone before having your sweet girl around him. Your judgment on his character is so important, and people change after time when they become more comfortable with you :black_heart: I know sometimes babysitters are the issue. Just my opinion. Good vibes mama.

5 Likes

I dated a few people after my daughter’s dad, most of them never met her. Current boyfriend actually met her super early. We’re 2.5 years in and she absolutely loves him. So do it when it feels right. Introduce him as a friend first and go from there.
I wasn’t going to get in a serious relationship if she didn’t approve. Because if they didn’t mesh, it wasn’t going to work.

When you feel it’s the right time! Not when others do. What’s right for you, isn’t right for everyone. My daughter met my husband 3 months in. We originally set a “time frame” of 6 months. But we knew we wanted to be together, so one day he randomly said “I want you to meet Carter” (his son). He said he felt like it was right. We have been together almost 3 years now, married and have an 18 month old son. Granted the baby was an oopsie :see_no_evil:. You can’t put a time on it. Go with your heart.

2 Likes

Too soon… I would wait

Wait until it’s serious.

1 Like

Hang out as friends. Introduce him as “Mom’s friend” and let things progress organically.

4 Likes

My husband and I started dating in January 2010 the following weekend was his weekend with his son and he introduced me then. I did tell him if he didn’t want to introduce me right away that was fine with me, but he insisted, I said he could introduce me as a friend but he introduced me as his girlfriend, it is your discretion always have your kiddo in the front of your mind and if something feels off trust your gut. We met each other’s whole immediate family within the first 2 weeks. Mainly because my sister introduced us and already knew his sisters because they all shot pool together. We got married a year later. Sister was my maid of honor, my niece was our flower girl and his son was our ring bearer and our wedding fell on his moms weekend but she was nice enough to let us have him for the ceremony.

Yeah a few light meetings, fun for ur bairn and let things mesh naturally. U need to know if she likes him, if he’s ready for her etc before ur super serious. Good luck :+1: x

You find time on your own and don’t bring him around her until you’re 1,000 percent sure it’s what you want.

You don’t.
No.
Not after 3 months. Yuck.

3 Likes

Not yet.way to soon. Establish a solid relationship first. Make sure it’s solid.then consider it. Kids don’t need to be subjected to that or anymore confusion or pain etc. just my opinion

3 Likes

If you’ve never brought a man around all these years and you truly see potential go for it I introduced my now husband after 2 months not one man did my kids know for 6 years and we are happily married and he’s great with them

1 Like

3 months not long enough. Get a baby sitter and date. If you can’t afford baby sitter maybe do trade offs with other parents. I would wait one year before introducing

I would take it slow. Wait for the relationship to grow and really get to know him first. You don’t want to introduce your baby to someone who may be toxic. Most of us would never do that intentionally. But three months and not spending much time together is really not enough to actually know someone. There’s bad people out there that prey on easy targets like single mothers to do bad things to them and their children. I’m not saying he is one of those people. But I’m saying take your time and actually get to know who he is and determine if this is something that is going to be long term before introducing him to your daughter.

1 Like

Three months is a little early in my opinion , you don’t know him enough yourself after three months

Meet up for lunch. Meet up for ice cream. Meet up at the local craft store and paint a picture or something.

Make it about her. Don’t be affectionate with him. Introduce him as your friend. Let her lead the day.

13 Likes

When I was single with 3 kids I only ever brought 2 men around my kids. Until it was serious I would wait for my kids bedtime then have dates at the house. Dinner and a movie hangout type of thing. Never stayed over til my kids were introduced and seemed serious. If you were to introduce just say hes a friend at first. The second guy they’ve been introduced is basically step daddy now we’re expecting our first together and my kids love him. But it did take a little bit for my oldest whose 8 to get used to him. My 2&3 year olds adjusted pretty quickly tho. We dated for about 5-6months before they were brought into the picture. Then we would go on family outings to the zoo, auarium, fair etc. And at 10 months we moved in together.

Too soon…glad you are cautious…you really don’t no people…

You think??? RED FLAG! Too soon for her to me a random guy that you think you “like”

Give it more time. Meet him while your daughter is at school, if you’re working maybe meet him on your lunch breaks or have a family member watch her every now and then so you can go on a date. 3 months is wayyy too soon to introduce them in my opinion.

I had a friend I’d been close with for awhile… we both really liked each other and we would do video calls. We met via gaming and flatlined constantly. Video calls, discord movie dates… We lived three hours apart so meeting was hard. Our first meeting was because my daughter was suddenly hospitalized and I was terrified. He drove 3.5 hours to check in on us and make sure she and I were okay. That’s when she met him, just as mommas friend ofc. He brought her and I gifts to boot. Left an amazing impression on the kiddo and she doesn’t like new people being that she’s autistic and anything new is terrifying. But after that, I asked him if we could make it official because of it. We have been together now for 5 months, going on six! We travel back and forth a lot. It used to be every other weekend, now it’s almost every two weeks. Just because your single does not mean putting your life on hold. I didn’t date after my daughters dad left when I found out I was pregnant… i was hesitant about dating my current because of the whole “child intro situation” but he proved to us that he was a good guy. If you think your boyfriend/friend is a good person and your gut agrees… then give it a go! Waiting a year before introducing your kids to your boyfriend is nuts if your a single parent and have almost no help. It’s near impossible and the costs of a sitter/daycare just to go on a date is crazy expensive. Play it safe, see if you guys could be serious, and go from there! If you guys are and you trust him then do fun public outings with him and your kids. Let the kiddos see how you guys interact on a friendship level and include them in it. It would be worth it for you long term rather than give up on having a life :heart:

1 Like

Way too soon…don’t bring no man around your child or introduce them so quickly!

3 months is far too soon in my opinion :confused: you should only do introductions when you are absolutely sure of the relationship… not when you only THINK you “like them”

4 Likes

How about , hey this is Mommys friend and you NEVER leave her alone with him for at least what 2 or 5 years. Easy Peasy right?

6 Likes

I think you should meet for a fun event that’s child oriented…and be friends in front of your daughter…I was the same way…I knew I liked him but wasn’t sure on continuing anything unless he and my kids got along…my oldest got along great with him my baby boy was a momma’s boy and didn’t like being away or sharing me and would cry alot when around anyone new…but the man was very understanding and patient and it’s been great we are going on yr 7 and have 2 more kids…and has been a great father figure to my kids…I’d do family like things but without anything affectionate or whatever in front of her and let her run the day…the zoo or kids museum or something where she can interact with you and him and have fun…also pay attention he may be great but if he doesn’t mesh well at all with your child…notice and act…if he can’t bond with your child then it won’t work and shouldn’t force it…some comments say 3 months is to soon but it’s exactly how long it took for me to introduce my kids to the man that’s been there now for 7 yrs…I liked him and friend zoned him until I knew if he would be able to get along and handle my kids…I didn’t commit to a relationship or anything until after he met my kids several times and seen how he interacted with them and responded to everything…the melt downs the happy fun times the acting out they do in public…I made sure he was aware I had kids and they are and will act like kids…so if he wanted me I was a package deal…if you see potential in him and a future ( long term thing not just a fling) then I would try introducing him to your daughter and see how it goes…but I’d lay it all out for him before hand…and from someone who was sexually abused as a child…I’d be cautious…never leave them alone or unsupervised…but that’s me and for my peace of mind…there’s alot of nasty people out there that play the nice guy…so just for safety NEVER leave them alone…but other then being cautious is go for it and see…it’s the only way I knew if the relationship was worth working for or whatever

11 Likes

Considering most experts say at least 3 mths, it’s not that bad. Every situation is different and every child is different. You could wait a year to introduce them and break up a month later. Use your own judgment mama!! You only need to introduce him as a friend.

1 Like

Meet up for lunch and tell her it’s your friend. Do that for awhile and just act like friends around her until you know of it’s gonna work.

1 Like

Too early in my opinion

2 Likes

1st start by talking to her about him. Refer to him. Use his name. Be truthful about whom he is to you. Even face time so she can put a name to the face. When the time is right she will ask to meet him in person. Her comfort is what will make or break this relationship between you and him.

2 Likes

My husband and I met October 2019 started dating December 2019, got married June 2020.

He had two kids, I had one. We’ve been married almost two years and it’s been nothing but the absolute best thing ever for all of us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When you know, you know. :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

Good luck, momma! :heart:

8 Likes

Wait until both of you are in a committed relationship

1 Like

Go to the park, meet at the park so you two can talk while she plays. I introduce my now husband to my son with in a week. Because I was a single mom and my kid went everywhere with me, we hung put at the playground and played with my son.

To each their own but I do not bring any man around my girls til I have known them at least a year. It’s just not men, it’s anyone, even female friends. You truly do not know someone or how they react to things. Wait til you piss him off or don’t answer his text for a day, then you will see his true side.

Don’t think I would do that quite yet myself but I trusted only a small amount of people around my children when young. I worked as a psych nurse on an admit floor where the police brought all types of offenders. Please check your states sexual predator list and make sure he is not on it.
My son married a women with a small child. He has been the best father figure. My granddaughter (step) is the only grandchild I have. She is now 17 and greatly loved and cared for just like she was ours. They could not have any children. So there are some really good man out there with good families that really want a child to care for. Just be very careful before you do.

Definitely introduce him as a friend first and take it slow with your child. Don’t introduce them and then suddenly have him around all the time. I agree with above comments, do something fun outside of the house that’s kid friendly and see how they interact and go from there.

3 Likes

You don’t do it until yall have dated a year or engaged. You gotta see his longevity

5 Likes

I would at least wait until y’all have been together for a year :+1::heart::+1:

1 Like

My daughters have been attached to someone I was dating & it was hard on them once we broke up :grimacing: So yes be careful!

You sound like a respectable mami , please be careful.

Stop acting like you have a say in when she introduces him.
As far as how do it a little at a time. Dont rush it. Start out once every 2 weeks. Ask her if she wants to see him. If she says no then leave it at that. Let her feel like shes choosing him.

You haven’t known him that long I keep your kids away from him I don’t trust any man anymore too much happens

2 Likes

Have you even done a background check on him

No 3 months isn’t long enough especially if you’re barely around him yourself

1 Like

And that’s how should be. Protect your baby.

She thinks she likes him :thinking: umm no ur child comes first u u know him for 3 months

1 Like

I must be like super old school, my way of thinking is your life now is your kids. Don’t bring anyone around until your child is old enough to protect themselves as best they can. Men and women pray on single parents just to get to your kids.

1 Like