How do I know if I have postpartum depression?

How do you differentiate between postpartum depression/anxiety, and “normal” anxiety, exhaustion, irritability, frustration and feelings of being overwhelmed, when transitioning from one kid to two? I don’t know whether I’m under exaggerating or over exaggerating my symptoms, but I’m really struggling. I just get told by everyone “well yeah… two is hard, but go easy on yourself”, but it’s way more than me just being “over critical” on myself. Everyday feels like such a battle and I’m in constant survival mode. One 3 year old, one 6 month old. Just looking for any words of advice or validation

6 Likes

Yes, you have it. It’s perfectly fine, you just need a mental health day, and if you decide to you can get help with therapy. That’s the fastest way to get better.

I go to the bathroom and cry. Dry them eyes up, walk out and play with my babies. I have a 5 and 2 year old. I don’t have anyone to keep them while I “do me”
I’m not the greatest at talking to people so I deal with it how I know.
Goodluck momma, it’s exhausting but well worth it.

1 Like

Going from one to two was the hardest for me. I literally lost my mind. Try to get some time for yourself. And please seek help

What does the doctor say?

I mean those ages are really exhausting. Especially if you haven’t taken any time for yourself which I know can seem impossible. Seriously just a little time away from your kids can make you feel refreshed, recharged, and ready to go.

You should also reach out to your doctor for simple blood work to make sure there’s no anemia as that can cause severe fatigue (I know this. I’ve had to have iron transfusions which helped a ton) or any problems with your thyroid which is very common after child birth.

Hang in there. It gets better :heart:

2 Likes

Just take it 1 day at a time, if you manage to get both to nap at the same time grab a powernap. How do you feel about your children? That’s the biggest indicator of PND/A

Speak with your dr and tell them what is going on with you.

You don’t know. You need a medical professional to diagnose you. Don’t come to the internet for a diagnosis go see a doctor. Feel better.

3 Likes

get yourself to the Dr or on the phone with the dr to figure it out. do it immediately to avoid it going downhill.

1 Like

Just asking the question is enough. Talk to your doctor. You shouldn’t be living in survival mode. I have bad anxiety and wish I had gotten help years ago. Life can get better.

1 Like

You are seen and your feelings are valid!
PPD can last up to 18mo after you have your baby.
Intrusive thoughts of hurting yourself or your baby are signs.
I would literally cry for no reason at 4pm everyday, like clockwork, with all of my kids.
If it is lasting this long, past the normal “baby blues” time frame, you could try some teledoc therapy, if getting into the office it too much.
Is there someone you can ask to watch the kiddos for a couple hours a week to get some time to yourself?