How do I know when my child is ready to potty train?

First-time mom here. When did you start potty training your lo and how did you know they were ready?

9 Likes

Waking up dry, telling you they went or need to go, they can pull up and down their own pants, they have the desire to learn

1 Like

When they start hiding to poop.

1 Like

All kids are different … i have 4 children and it varied for mine between 18 months and 3 yrs old

1 Like

I tried my boy at all different times between 18 months and 3 years. Just after he turned three, he got it straight away, very few accidents. I think it’s just a matter of when they are ready.

I started with my ``greatgrand sons 2 years old they done pretty good

I started my daughter at 18 months, she finally got it a week before her 3rd birthday. At first she thought it was a punishment so it took awhile lol

My son potty trained at almost 3 i started when he was 18 mths tho… My daughter potty trained herself… She would wake up dry around 16 mths so i switched to pull ups and sat her potty where she could see it also take her to the big girl potty then one day she woke up and said she didn’t wanna pee pee in her pull up no more so we switched to panties.

My son was two, and was starting to be dry after naps. Figured “why not try it and see what happens?” Got him fun underwear and showed him what “to do”. He was day and night trained in 3 days. Every child is different for sure!

My daughter never gave the signs. I tried at different times and it never worked. At 3.5 we talked about it and I just dived in. After a few days of consistency she got it.
For my son, I tried around 2 and he wasn’t ready. We stopped and at 2.5 he told me he wanted to go potty and he did great.

I am starting next week with my daughter who is almost 2. We are starting because she keeps telling me when she has gone in her diaper

My daughter started asking to get her diaper changed by telling me she went potty so we started last week and it went so much smoother this time (we tried a couple of months ago). My daughter will be 3 at the end of the month

You will notice drier nappies which shows a sign in your child being able to control their bladder a bit more. Talk to them like an adult don’t use nicknames for the toilet etc take them to the toilet and explain what we do etc you’ll be surprised how intelligent children really are

1 Like

Both of my boys were day dry before 2 and by 26 months night dry. They do not want wet diapers i did the hit the hit the target by putting a cheerio in the toilet…cut back liquids at 6pm…set them up for success

I started my daughter at 20 months but she wasn’t really ready until she’s 3yrs old. Every child is different & takes a lot of patience.

Put son around 18 months on potty chair in living room

I tried pushing with my oldest, but until he was ready, he just fought it. I didn’t push with my second kiddo and it went much smoother. I would introduce it every now and then and once he was ready, he was potty trained pretty quickly.

Honestly I waited until my son showed an interest in it. He was potty trained at 4 with only 1 week of showing him. He only had 1 accident. I’m trying to potty train my daughter who is 2 but she’s not showing any interest in it. So we’ll see how it goes fingers crossed. Goodluck mama!

My daughter was 3. She’d take her dirty Pull-Ups off, told me she needed to go potty and wasn’t scared of the toilet noises. I got her a potty chair at first, then a seat that nested in the toilets actual seat and a stool for her feet and so she could reach the sink.

Gosh I dont even remember ages cause my 3 oldest are 17, 15, 14. My 17 year old son when we lived in arizona when a toddler would go outside with the dog to go potty and the next thing I knew he wipped of his diaper and did his business next to him lol. It was a privacy fenced in yard so it was ok but still lol. He went everytime the dog did :joy:

1 Like

I personally let my son lead the way. The more i pushed it after i showed him how ro use the potty the more he refused and demanded diapers. So i let him decide when he was comfortable. He is now 3 yrs and like 1 month and he is almost done! All we use is bedtime diapers! The rest he goes poop and pee in the potty when he needs to!

My son wanted his butt to stay dry during the day. So I told him the only way was to start acting like a big boy and use the potty. After a week and the use of wearing his special underwear (superheros) he was potty trained. He did not like to make Hulk, Spiderman, or Thor wet. I guess that’s why he like his special underwear. He only had one accident and it was our fault for not finding a restroom fast enough. We had to explain to him that he was okay everyone has at least one accident in their life. So if there is an accident don’t get mad, just hug your child, help clean them up and reward them with love.

so i have 5 kids. here’s what I have learned.

1. dont push it or it takes longer.
  2. if they cant ask other people to help them then they will have issues (wetting self, just not asking)( other people as in babysitters, not all are helpful)
  3. taking off wet diapers or pulling down pants is using a good sign they are ready.
1 Like

Oh crap, potty training! By Jamie Glowacki

Read this! Everyone will give you different contradicting advice. Worked wonders for me! Read it and decide for yourself!

Generally when they show interest, can stay dry for several hours, and can communicate the need to use the bathroom. My one son went to his 2 year old checkup in undies while his older brother was well past 3. My 2 daughters were 2 yo

Staying dry during the night, when they show interest in you using the potty and when they hate being wet/dirty is when I started my son was 21/2 and to be completely potty trained it took 6 mos

1 and a half. They started both started stripping naked and I wasn’t going to clean up the mess. My daughter liked using the potty like her big brother and cousin so she would ask.

I have 3 kids, two are potty trained. I still don’t know the answer to this :joy: I just kinda went with the flow

1 Like

Oldest daughter spent the weekend with my mom and came home potty trained at 18 months. My daughter got tired of buying diapers and potty trained her daughter at 20 months.

You’ll know when they are ready I don’t think there is really an age just try and have them go on the toilet I wouldn’t fight about it when it happens it happens.

When your child starts showing embarrassment over going potty or craping

My two girls were fully potty trained by the age of 2 Mashallah. I started training them from the age of one.

When they stayed dry during the night for a week or so

My husband and I got separated when i found out he was having an affair with another woman​:sob::sob::broken_heart::broken_heart:, when i confronted him, we had argument and he broke up with me​:sob::sob:, i tried all i could to get him back but all to no avail​:sob::sob:. I cried all day and helpless looking up to God to help me with the problem in my marriage. All I need is my marriage to be restored back, we’ve been together for years and he has done nothing but cheated and lied to me. but I know it’s something that can be fixed I still love him the same way when I first met him. However I decided to seek help from Priest Andrew, he reunited my marriage back together as it was in the beginning. now my marriage is perfectly fine and I know there are lot of people out there who have different kind of problem in home, marriages and relationships. Here is Priest Andrew email: priestandrewcureservice123@gmail. Com
and whats app him +2349064356977

They’ll start showing interest in the toilet, start getting upset at dirty diapers, start grabbing at their diaper area before/while dirtying it… they just need to be able to connect that feeling of having to potty with the action of pottying… this is generally going to happen between 18 and 36 months of age.

Let them see you potty so they can see mom isn’t peeing herself too…

I started putting my daughter on the potty when she was 5 months old and she would automatically go because usually babies do that when the feel the open air without a diaper. I would put her on there after a bottle and catch most of her pees and then when she got older it was just natural. If you wait too long it will feel natural for them to go in a diaper and it will be hard to change that.

Two yrs old is generally the age when they become aware of peeing and pooping its really a game of cat and mouse once the nappy is off trying to get them to the toilet on time :rofl::rofl::rofl: all part of being a mother :smiley: