How do I learn to trust again?

I got out of a really bad relationship almost 6 months ago still going through court and stuff for assault charges I pressed against him he's taking it to trial and because of covid its taking longer, I met this really great guy he never asks me for anything always comes over and he's great with my son I just have alot of trust issues and don't want to get hurt again my question is how do I let my wall down he's said before he wants nothing from me but me but I have this wall built up because my ex was a drug addict and abused me for a year and a half and I finally got out when he beat me for money that I wouldn't give him. It seems like I'm letting my fears and past relationships get in the way because I feel like I can't open up all the way to him or trust him all the way because of my insecurities
15 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I learn to trust again? - Mamas Uncut

Go to a therapist and work it out before I start a new relationship

1 Like

Careful…don’t make a good person pay the price for someone else’s actions!

2 Likes

You need to go into some therapy and work on yourself and your trauma before you try to enter any new relationship

you just got out of an abusive relationship 6 months ago. Do yourself & your son a favor & step back a little. I don’t know how old your son is, but he just went from seeing/hearing his mom go thru an abusive relationship & now he has met another man 6 months later. I can say so much, but this is your life. I would really love to see how all of these kids that I have been reading about with their moms & what they go thru in the next 20 yrs & how they deal with relationships !!!

1 Like

If he is a good guy, he will be patient with you. He will understand the healing process and you will feel comfortable over time to let him in. Treat him well with honesty, respect and compassion but it’s okay to take your time healing too. If you treat him honorably, he will understand that patience with healing is worth the wait.

2 Likes

Simply sit with him tell " hey I may try and push you away but don’t go that proves to me I can trust you unfortunately I was in bad bad relationship I’m worried I’m trying I’ll open up just let me get comfortable for a minute"
I told my fiance this when we first met 4 years later the only thing he still ask of me is just take care of our son thats it. My past relationship I was controlled badly. Cheated on alot my fiance is about 3 things
Family, God, work
You’ll be ok momma praying for you sending hugs also seek therapy too that’ll play a key role in healing and being more open.

Give yourself time! These things take time!

Just be honest with the new guy. Let him know how you are feeling. Maybe talking to someone would help. Something like group therapy could go a long way

Therapy. It’s only fair to handle your own stuff so you can move forward and be happy

Take your time, the trust will come…understand that not every man will be like your ex, and thank God for someone new in your life

3 Likes

Sounds like you need therapy
Moving so fast only 6 months fresh out of an abusive relationship
Stay single!

Get some mental health counseling for you and you son. You have been through a lot and deserve healing

1 Like

Don’t jump into another relationship so fast!! Take time to find your self worth!! If this guy is really into you he will wait!

6 Likes

I sympathize with you. I’ve been hurt badly & don’t trust anyone. I probably never will. Don’t be hard on yourself. Your expirences in life shaped you. It’s good that your cautious. Im sure your ex seemed like a good guy in the beginning too. Otherwise you wouldn’t have been with him. Becareful! They gain your trust then they strike once you’re invested & put your guard down. I advise that you go into counseling that specializes in domestic abuse. Learn the early signs. Take it slow. Don’t jump into a relationship with this guy. You’re fresh out of an abusive relationship & still going through the trauma of it all. Give yourself grace & patience.

1 Like

You need to heal yourself before jumping into another relationship.

4 Likes

Concentrate on yourself. You just got out of an abusive relationship 6 months ago. Slow down and learn to love yourself, without a man. Once you learn to love yourself and know your worth, it will be easier to see others true intentions. If he is truly a good guy and wants to be with you, he will understand and will wait

3 Likes

Wow. Took me 2 yrs after being in an abusive marriage to even look at another man let alone think of a relationship. I think you need to work on yourself before you try to even get into another relationship. Really unfair to the other person with your issues to bring in a new relationship. Heal,take time to yourself and child. Stop worrying about another relationship it’s only been 6 months. I never understand why people jump into a relationship so soon after a horrible relationship. Good luck

2 Likes

Just take your time it’ll move when you’re ready

The first thing you have to do is realize you don’t need a partner to make you feel good about yourself. The second thing you have to do is heal yourself before you jump into a relationship with someone else on the rebound.

1 Like

I would take some time for yourself before getting into a new relationship

Time and if you can afford it therapy. It’s hard but slowly you’ll heal

1 Like

Take time for yourself before this new guy enters your life focus on yourself and you son not another man

2 Likes

Get away from this guy now, grow up, and learn to be self sufficient, how long did you wait before introducing him to your child?

2 Likes

In your situation there is nothing wrong with short leash behavior until you get more comfortable, if he seriously endeared toward you he will give you time to soften your defenses

Its only been 6 months. You need time to get to know him and build trust.

you haven’t fully healed give it time. Walls are good just take it day by day, trust what you see not what you hear.

1 Like

U have jumped right into another relationship before u have healed and digested what happened in ur last relationship… its going to take time… u both have to be prepared to overcome hurdles that this relationship will bring up… how can u move on and have a healthy relationship with someone else when ur still reeling from ur last???

It took me a long time. I went 3 years without a relationship, and then any time we fought I was by the door so I could escape if necessary. That relationship didn’t last long. Then it was another 5 years before I really dated anyone again, that’s when I met my husband. We don’t fight much, but I don’t get those vibes from him, or I wouldn’t have married him. It takes time.

Why does he have to keep reiterating that he wants nothing from you :thinking:sounds like you bout to have another version of your ex

You will never trust again. No if ands about it

Wait longer before getina

You need to give yourself time to heal. Not only for yourself but for your child as well. Maybe a little self soul searching is what you should be doing instead.

1 Like

You are simply not ready to be in another relationship. You need to take time for yourself and heal

That’s to soon… 6 months ago?? Really? Why has he already met your son? You got out of the last ABUSIVE relationship six mos ago did you immediately start dating? How long do you date men before introducing them to your kid like?? 2 months? 3 months? Nevermind, miss me with the replies. This is selfish parenting your kid watched their mom getting abused verbally or physically makes no difference and you choose to automatically bring in another man in less than a few mos time???.. You’re putting your need to be attached to someone before anything else not cool. This is a mom’s pg supporting each other also means holding one another accountable. Get some counseling for both of you and drop the bf.

It takes time! Baby steps…