How do I safetly introduce peanut butter to my baby?

Hello, It’s time to introduce peanut to my six-month-old, but we have a peanut allergy in the house. I’m looking for advice and tips on how to do this as safely as possible. As babies put everything in their mouths and touch everything, I’m super worried. Has anyone been in this situation, and how did you handle it?

6 Likes

I would suggest To bring peanut butter with you on your babies next pediatrician appt and give your baby a little bit to try with a spoon while you’re there , just in case your baby is allergic you are already at the drs , and they can look for signs of allergies .

13 Likes

Definitely at an allergist office. My sons pediatrician office doesnt keep epi pens on site. And for someone so young it would be an epi pen jr not a regular one. My son has a severe nut allergy.

1 Like

Look things up on Google there are many things out now that are baby approved with peanuts in it

There is an actual group called Peanuts for Baby that focuses on introduction when there is an allergy already in the house.

I was always told to wait till they are 1

1 Like

Our allergist told us to get this peanut butter puffs called Bamba to introduce peanut to our baby, and a friend told me if I was scared to do it in the ER parking lot just in case she develops an allergy. Thankfully she isn’t allergic to peanuts.

My pediatrician said to use that pb2 powder and put small amounts in my babys babyfood that will keep him from getting a peanut allergy , my baby is 7 ms I haven’t tried it yet but he said to do it before 8 ms.

My son has such a severe reaction to peanuts he’s 3 and the dr said NEVER to give my 1 yr old it. Just assume she has it. Consult ur allergist first plz :pleading_face:

1 Like

I was so scared to give my daughter peanut butter so I waited til she was a year and a half and I did a little bit at a time til I knew she wasn’t allergic now she loves peanut butter crackers

I don’t live far from the er so I just gave it to my little girl one day.

1 Like

idk I mean with both my kids I just kinda gave them some. Along with shell fish. Your baby could literally be allergic to ANYTHING.

Talk with the doc. But the sooner the better. I baby led wean so I introduced all that at 5/6 months. I think the new reccomendation is 4-6 months for high allergy introduction😀

1 Like

Generally when you come to introduce food to you baby always always try small amount. Babies can be allergic to anything even things are not known in the family, so you give your baby a little amount wait foe two hours and give more so if you get reaction then it won’t be bad. The more amount you give the more severe reaction you get. Also try one food at the time every 2 days try new food. Good luck

My son’s father has some food related allergies/intolerances so when it came to introducing peanuts or shell fish, I took a little bit and rubbed it on the back of my son’s hand. I watched for a reaction and if after about 5 minutes or so there was no sign of a reaction I let him eat some.

3 Likes

I gave my son a oeanutbutter cookie. And my daughter just a little bit of peanut butter just incase she had a reaction and waited a few days. When she didn’t have a reaction I gave a bit more til I was sure she sent allergic

Make sure it’s just a little bit…I gave my then 2 years old a spoon of it and his body was immediately blistering in front of me then his throat swelled up and he collapsed he now is 11 and won’t eat any type of nut xx

I gave my boys peanut bugger for the first time in the ER parking lot.

6 Likes

Put small amount on his wrist in the inside most sensitive place and see if he gets a rash

3 Likes

I mixed peanut butter into my daughters oatmeal. It’s better to introduce it earlier then later in the off chance they’re allergic. If you’re worried about contamination just make sure everything is washed right away. Counters are cleaned ASAP. And don’t let baby anywhere without either a bath or a wiped down excessively. And then right away make sure the high chair is wiped down as intensely as possible then rewash sinks and counters and either throw out the sponge you used to clean everything or wash the cloth in the washing machine ASAP

2 Likes

I was told to add a tiny tiny bit to baby cereal and watch for a reaction for 72 hours

My friend sat in the car park at the hospital, might be worth it

Test it on babies skin first! If they have any sort of reaction to it, chances are baby is allergic too. If no reaction, give them a very small amount to start and work your way up to larger amounts. Wait three days in between testing each time.

I had s tiny amount on my finger tip and put it to her lips to lick it.

We brought peanut butter to a checkup with our doctor and she did it.

Mix a baby spoon full in his/her baby cereal and make sure its mixed in well. Peanut butter is thick so definitely don’t give it to your baby without mixing it into something.

We don’t have any prior allergy and I was told to give our daughter peanut butter between 4-6 months. I gave it to her right before her 6 month appointment. I literally just gave her a few tiny bites of it. She LOVED it, but started turning red all the way around her mouth within minutes. She also threw up a little bit. I held her just to make sure she didn’t have any other symptoms and within about an hour the redness went away for the most part. We got a referral to an allergist and sure enough she is allergic to peanuts but not tree nuts. We have been told many times that the first time a baby has an allergic reaction, it is relatively mild which was the same in our case. The more they are exposed, the worse the reaction can get each time. I am terrified that she will get into something with peanuts, but we now have an allergy syrup and EPI pens just in case!

1 Like

If you already have a peanut allergy with one of your kids, have the allergist test the baby first. That’s what our allergist suggested with our youngest. One of my girls has a milk allergy so the baby will be tested around 4 months

So we dont have food allergies in the house but me and my oldest are severely allergic to penicillin. When my youngest was prescribed penicillin I got some on my hand…first it itched and burned and then within a minute or so turned super red and splotchy.

I would suggest starting there. Put just a little on baby’s hand or arm and watch. When you’re satisfied that hes not reacting negatively to that do just the smallest amount just on his lips.
When you’re satisfied with no reaction there.
Give a small taste test. Some people do the taste test in the parking lot of their doctors office to help feel more comfortable so that may be an option as well.

If there is an immediate family history of food allergies, speak with your child’s pediatrician first.

I had a friend that lived across the street from a hospital so I went her house for my oldest and my son I did it in the waiting room while waiting for his doctor appointment. My youngest tho my son decided he was gonna be my helper and feed his sandwich to his baby sister. Luckily none of them had any reactions. There’s also no history of any food allergies in either side of the family so if I were you I’d talk to the pediatrician

Apply a small dab on the skin!

My oldest son is allergic… when i tried giving it to him he instinctively turned away. Anything with peanut butter he seemed to know. When i did finally get him to try it he had hives and threw up everywhere. My youngest i just put a little on my finger and waited for the same reaction. He didnt do that so i gave him some, he is not allergic but doesnt really care for it anyways.