How do I stop breastfeeding?!

my son turned 2 in april and im struggling with weaning him. He wakes up so much at night to get the boob and im drain exhausted please any tips would help!!!

48 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I stop breastfeeding?! - Mamas Uncut

It took me like 7 months after my daughter turned 2 it was a very hard transition but we did!!!

2 Likes

We went from boob to pacifier. Now we got another problemā€¦

2 Likes

I ended up having to put on multiple sports bras, tank tops and a high neck shirt so she couldnā€™t get to them in the middle of the night. If she woke me up i would give her a bottle with water in it :joy:
My last was 2y and 8 months before i got her away from me

2 Likes

Consistency is key! And it sucks for the first few weeks! My LO was the same way. Try starting on. Friday especially if you donā€™t have to work weekends. Also if you have a partner to help when he wakes up, thatā€™s helpful. Itā€™s a comfort thing more so then itā€™s about hunger so trying to find the alternative comfort is in my opinion what works. But itā€™s definitely a challenge at first

3 Likes

With my son I told him boobs broken ā€¦ no milkā€¦ and it hurt mama ā€¦ he literally kissed me and went and got his cupā€¦ :laughing: I thought it would be a fightā€¦ nopeā€¦

Following cause same.

1 Like

I breastfeed my 2yr old until 20months and didnt have any issue. Just took away one feeding a time. A friend of mine stopped BFing her kid at 4yrs and she literally had to wear turtle necks in the summer and let him cry it out.

Cry it out is never fun but the end result is your freedom. Stick in there mamašŸ’ŖšŸ¾

I had my sister take my son for two days.

Itā€™s a process, start cutting down the boob feedings, and before going to bed offer him some milk, so he is a but full during the night. Also your breast will engorge so try to express just a little bit to reduce production, and what I used to stop my milk supply was cabagge leaves

1 Like

I just helped my neighbors last week. Had two ice packs in a sock each and stuck them in her bra

It is called pump your breast milk and put it in a bottle and give it to him

5 Likes

Leave for the weekend without the child. When you get home tell them no.

7 Likes

My youngest son bit the fire out of my nipple when he was 10 months old. He got breast milk in a bottle or sippy cup after that. Try breast Milk in a bottle. Same taste but different delivery system.

3 Likes

Let hubby go inā€¦ Off bottle of water or sippy cup

3 Likes

I got my son to stop by putting apple cider vinegar on my nipples, he hated the taste & smell. Then I put some on toilet paper & tapped it over night, as soon as he smelt it he would stop trying to get it. By day 3 I didnā€™t have to put the vinegar, as soon as he saw the toilet paper heā€™d stop

11 Likes

You just have to set a date and say thats it. I did lesson my feedings, made them eat reg food instead before I made them quit. He is old to understand no.

I literally had a work trip and left for 2 weeks cause my daughter wouldnā€™t take no for an answer :grimacing:

1 Like

Night wean using the Gordon method! Also get the book ā€œnursies when the sun shines. ā€œ
You can still nurse during the day. Still co sleep if you wish. Total game changer and super easy! Minimal tears/fuss and no cry it out. :heartpulse:

1 Like

You can just wean him at night. Some moms put a small light on a timer and tell the toddler that milkies are going night-night until the light comes on. Just be very consistent.

1 Like

Followingā€¦I have an 18 month old who loves her boob!

you literally just have to quit cold turkey, itā€™s hardā€¦ but that was the only way. My son is such a booby boy. Now he likes to stick his little hand in between them for comfort lol

7 Likes

Just stop and tell him itā€™s all gone.

3 Likes

I sent my daughter to my cousinā€™s for the weekend and when she came back she didnā€™t want it anymore. :woman_shrugging:t3:

i had to put big band-aids ove my nips and told him i had a boo boo, he gave me a kiss and within 3 days was done

9 Likes

Cut him off cold turkey! Itā€™s hard but heā€™ll be fine!! Find something else to soothe him instead of nursing!

2 Likes

I left my 25 month old with a relative for 5 days :slightly_smiling_face: did the trick!

1 Like

My grandma put horseradish on her nipples to stop my daddy from breastfeeding. It backfired and he loved horseradish the rest of his life.

16 Likes

it will get rough and itā€™s hard to hear them cry cause you have what he wants.

let.hubby go in if possible offer sippy cups stop slowly and replace with water

Soooo, my sister put black bandaids over nipples and told her girls they were broken/no good. It worked for them both!!

2 Likes

Give him a Warm bottle of milk at night.

1 Like

Sippy with water n let him cry it out

4 Likes

Following my boy will be 2 the 26th and refuse anything else for nap and bedtime if Iā€™m around. Hes a big boyā€¦ hes 47 pounds super smart understand everything you say. But refuse to give titty upā€¦ when he takes tittie he has to have his other hand touching my other boob. Even all through the nightā€¦ he searches for it even when hes asleep to put his hand on my boob.

I had to get a job out of the house to wean mine. She would not let me wean her so I had to get a job out of home

1 Like

What I did was replace 1 feeding a day with other milk or water and a snack, then 2 feedings, then 3 then after about a week I decided to be done doneā€¦ so that night I nursed him to sleep, then when we woke to nurse I tried rocking him but he just wanted the boobā€¦ So I went in another room and my husband took over. After that during the day I just distracted and redirected him to milk and foods to replace the nursing and it took 3 nights of me not putting him to sleep anymore, sleeping in another room, dad consoling him to sleep. Then it was just done! It was HARD. I cried a lotā€¦ But it was the best way for us. Good luck mama :raised_hands::two_hearts:

1 Like

Make the cup FUN! Have fun with it!

2 Likes

Keep his cup with water by his bed. He can wake up to take sips throughout the night. Thatā€™s what works with my daughter. I stopped breastfeeding at 1yrold

People saying cut him off cold turkey i completely disagree. It is such an emotional attachment. Personally slowly weaned with my son. One feeding a time. It was still really hard but its hard for them to understand . My son never took a paci, he never took a bottle. The boob is where he sleeps, gets comfort, nurses when he is in pain or sick. Take it slow mama. Do your research :heart: whatever is right for your family.

13 Likes

Wrap them up and tell him they are broken. Thatā€™s what I had to do with my daughter when she turned 2. Took almost a week but worked. I was getting unhealthy and exhausted

4 Likes

Same!! Itā€™s exhausting!

2 Likes

I told my daughter, she could only have milkies if the sun was shining, sheā€™d look out there, no sun, no milkiesā€¦ It worked for us :grin:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to stop several times but ended up getting mastitis and was so painful that Iā€™ve ended up continuing for a lot longer than planned but I really need to stop now too as I just feel drained 24.7 and irritable my daughter just would be on it all day if she could more off comfort than the actual milk

Its rough, but just tell him no more. Stand your ground.

1 Like

Tell him they are broken

2 Likes

To night wean, tell him he has to wait until the sun comes up to have milk. Offer water instead.

Start cutting back how often you feed. Feed when he wakes up feed at lunch and just before bed and slowly start cutting them out one at a time

I feel your pain!
Drink mother milk tea!
Than explain to baby there is not more milk, Get bottle/sippy cup at night when you get ready to sleep my little one used to get so mad when I did Not want to breastfeed him anymore! But honestly is very frustrating have to get up at night and not get a full night of sleep, when he woke up I rolled over and give him water heā€™s was mad but eventually he used to wake up and just drink water and went back to sleep is hard very hard but will take you a least a week and you will be done with it! good luck donā€™t give up!

1 Like

Give him a sippy cup of water at night. He may cry at first but will learn to adjust.

Give him a bottle ? Or a non spill cup insteadā€¦
My kids have all used non spill cups after they came off the bottle through until it wasnā€™t a comfort thing to drink milk anymoreā€¦
He may not be eating enough solid food at the end of the day and may be waking from being hungry ? I know alot of kids rely on milk more then we realize as a food source and if hes having a growth spurt this will only make it worse :woman_shrugging:
Im guessing if you want to ween yoh are wanting to stop. At 2 they donā€™t need it anymore, you have done good mumma so if you choose to stop then thats definitely okay

1 Like

Say NO. And mean it.

1 Like

I literally just stopped bc he wasnā€™t really eating it was comfort when heā€™d wake up for boob Iā€™d snuggle and give him a breast milk sippy(you can just switch to water with him being 2) the first couple days are hard so grab your coffee but eventually they get over it just wear a tight full coverage bra and sleep in a t shirt if you cosleep

1 Like

I just went cold turkey one day after cutting her feeding down slowly. First couple of days were rough but then everything was fine.

1 Like

Every child is different. Some are easier than others. If this child is strong willed and loves the milkies it will be difficult. But itā€™s really up to you to get the child weaned or to continue sacrificing yourself for your childā€™s nutrition

Keep a few small spray bottles around the house, in your purse, & bedside of apple cider vinegar mixed with waterā€¦ And spray on your boobs when you think he wants itā€¦ Once he smells and taste itā€¦ Tell him your boobs are brokenā€¦ He will stop within 1-2weeksā€¦ It worked for meā€¦ And I breast feed my daughter til she wAs 3.5 years oldā€¦I was so drained and over itā€¦ I walked around for 2 weeks smelling like straight vinegarā€¦lol But it wAs worth itā€¦

I told my youngest the milk was spicy because he never eats anything if its spicy.

1 Like

My daughter nursed on command until two and a half. When it was time for us to stop. I told her we would be ending soon and she could have a big girl cup now. I set an end date. I nursed her one last time before bed and told her that. When she wanted ā€œmoosā€ in the morning I reminded her that last night was last time and got her her big girl cup. That was that. Much easier than I expected but it worked.

4 Likes

My Son still feeds & he was 4 in Aprilā€¦ :see_no_evil: No advice Iā€™m afraid. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover: Gx

If hes on solid food hes not hungry just looking for comfort. Refuse the breast. Give him water and lots of hugs.

Hun itā€™s gonna be hard for at least a week because thatā€™s all he knows, try rice cereal and baby food in the meantime to keep him filled up in. The mean timeā€¦ Good luck

Tell him no. Iā€™ve heard of women putting hot sauce or something the kid doesnā€™t like on there nipples so the kid wonā€™t want it anymore

For my daughter I did vinegar on my nipples! Also dab some in an old bra and tell him your milk is bad :woman_shrugging:t4: I guarantee the taste and smell will put him off

1 Like

Itā€™s time for a big kid cup. Make it like itā€™s a big deal like potty training ad do rewards for using the cup during the day that way he gets used to the cup and then switch up to giving him the cup at night. That Way you know he can use it before supplementing it in the night

1 Like

Try a pacifier if heā€™s doing it for comfort!