How do I stop leaking breastmilk?

I’m still nursing my daughter. She is almost 3. She nurses just at night and in the morning when she doesn’t want to wake up. What’s concerning me though I’m only producing on my right side. She preferred to feed on my right. When she was an infant, she fed on both but not since she was around one or so. Now she doesn’t even latch on to another side. I stopped producing on the left. But every so often, I’d leak on that side. My son was the same way (he’s nine now, but he nursed till he was just over 2), and it has still done the same. Both only ever fed on my right side, but my left leaks once and while. How can I get it to stop?! It keeps ruining my shirts, lol

22 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My ex has been texting our daughter that I am "evil" and keeping her from him: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Unfortunately it probably won’t stop until you are completely done breastfeeding. Until then you could always wear breast pads. They have washable ones that are comfy and very absorbent.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that you can put a cabbage leaf in each bra cup to help

8 Likes

You probably can’t do anything about it until they stop nursing. It’s just the natural response.

5 Likes

If u know it leaks y not just wear a nursing pad for u don’t have to worry abt when it’s going to start leaking again?

2 Likes

Stop breastfeeding all together.

4 Likes

I used cabbage leaves to stop my production and it worked wonders

1 Like

All 3 of my breastfed baby’s did the same only fed from the left but never leaked out of right would just be annoying if I missed a fed end up loped sided :joy:

Definitely nursing pads, unfortunately I’m not sure there is much to do about it. We are going on two years here🥰

uhm just stopin general, shes 3, ew

6 Likes

Cold cabbage leafs… It works… Did it myself

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My ex has been texting our daughter that I am "evil" and keeping her from him: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

1. The people passing judgment need to mind their own.
  2. The leakage is normal since you’re still nursing on one side. Your body is still producing the prolactin and oxytocin & bc of that and it’ll continue to leak until you stop nursing on the other side. Just keep a disposable nursing pad on that side to protect your bra and shirts for the time being :slightly_smiling_face:
4 Likes

You can do cold cabbage leaves. Or wear a boob milk catcher, you can get those off of Amazon.

3 years old is way too big to be nursing

6 Likes

Take a bandage wrap and wrap it around you. That is what the doctor told me to do.

Stop feeding all together. Let them both dry up. It will take a good month but it should stop. Wear pads until it dries up

2.5 going strong Lori Callender Norton

4 Likes

He’ll be 2 in two weeks. Do what’s best for you and your baby. Don’t listen to anyone else :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Only way to stop leaking completely is to stop breastfeeding cause then your body will stop producing milk. The left leaks because its not getting nursed on so can either encourage your daughter to nurse on the other side to stimulate milk production in that side? If getting your child to nurse on the other side isn’t possible and you don’t want to stop maybe try wearing breast pads to avoid leaking onto clothing :relaxed: hope this helps

1 Like

These posts can’t be real! If this is ur second child your nursing and she’s 3?!?!?! You should know the answer to ur own question by now through experience :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

You’re still producing in both sides, as indicated by the leaking, which is normal because you’re still nursing and your body is still producing milk making and ejecting hormones. Nothing to do about it but wear a nursing pad until you’ve weaned entirely.

5 Likes

Way too old to nurse! Please talk to your family doctor about this issue

25 Likes

Mine leaked all the time as well…I used the breast milk/ nursing pads to soak it up. If you can’t find them, then a mini pad cut in half might work in a pinch. Sounds like your Little may be big enough to start weaning off tho’…you are such a devoted mama…:slightly_smiling_face:Hugs.

6 Likes

She asked for help on the leaking not for your opinions on when she should stop its her body her breasts and her baby how weird that u feel u have a right to tell her when to stop :raised_hands:

45 Likes

Time to stop child is much too old for breastfeeding she eats and drinks on her own now its just for you so let it go and no leaking problems

80 Likes

Unfortunately it’s going to happen as long as you are feeding , anything you do might affect the supply on the other side so if you want to continue feeding I’d recommend you just use pads, I prefer the reusable you could even put a few stitches in your bra to remove later so you can just wash and wear and not think about it

4 Likes

You’ll both know when the time is right :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Nights & a bit extra is purely for comfort…,tune out naysayers ( I expect your little one eats & drinks like most 3 year olds)…:sparkling_heart:from a Labor, Delivery, Postpartum nurse for 45 years…if you’re pregnant again, then check with your OB​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

I dunno if you will believe this but I used to do it with my children when i weaned them… try putting your arms over your head when sleeping. It will stop your breast producing milk. It will take few days but it works as it did to me.

7 Likes

Let mine nurse as long as they were interested because of allergies. You do what is best for your child. Neither of our children ever took a bottle or had formula.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot off the people telling u to stop is an older generation and probably don’t know the information we have today. u do what u need hun I recommend trying to get her to nurse on the left occasionally or just use pads to help stop ruining ur clothes

7 Likes

She has to nurse on both sides, it will stop the leaking on the left. It’s just how it works. See if she will try, if not it will continue to leak as long as the right keeps producing. She doesn’t have to do it every time, just now and then. Good luck

1 Like

When you do stop breastfeeding I am sorry to say that you are going to be stuck with one breast bigger than the other as this is what happened to me by feeding on one side only.

My sister used cabbage leaves. Apparently it really does work.

You can’t cut off milk production to only one boob. Either wean babe completely or wear a breast pad on that side

6 Likes

I just put pressure on the nipple that’s leaking while my baby is feeding. Put pressure (with finger/arm/cover or cloth) when you feel your letdown for about a minute if that and no more leaking.

1 Like

All of this advice is just crap lol. Breast pad on that one side and you nurse your baby however long you see fit

8 Likes

The only way is to stop breastfeeding and if you’re not ready just get some nipple pads.

1 Like

Cabbage leaves in your bra

7 Likes

You’re obviously producing milk in the left, otherwise it wouldn’t be leaking. Since she doesn’t latch onto that side, you could pump or wear a nursing pad. It’s not going to stop until you stop breastfeeding.

1 Like

I used cabbage leaves in my bra x

3 Likes

When you stop breast feeding, you will stop leaking!

6 Likes

Should have stopped doing that a long, long time ago.

21 Likes

All you old bittys telling her that her child it too old to nurse most also be there ones that insist they hide like common dogs when nursing in public! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

They make a wearable cup/container that catches leaking milk. Not sure if you store it, but if so, this would be a way to keep it rather than waste it. But I think the only way to stop leaking is to stop breastfeeding.

1 Like

I used cabbage leaves when I was young and stopped right before birthday 2 .

2 Likes

I had some pads that went in my bra. You can get disposable or reusable.

3 Likes

Cabbage in the bra really works!

3 Likes

stop breast feeding her and it will dry up.

Donate that milk to a mamma in need.

4 Likes

Get botox or steroids injected into each gland on your left boob? Lol. Seriously though, you should be having a chat with your baby’s pediatrician

If you’re or your kid aren’t ready to wean just put a nursing pad on it, or do whatever you did with the first kid.

I think your MD can give you med to make it stop. I could be wrong though.

They have breast pad for that. You can buy it at Walmart.

1 Like

Stop breastfeeding it will dry up :arrow_up: in no time

4 Likes

Do you think maybe at 3 yrs old your toddler could stop nursing and you could let yourself dry up ? And your toddler could drink from a sippy cup.

10 Likes

For the love of teeth…:flushed: Give him a sippy cup!

11 Likes

Weird that you still breastfeed a 3yr old.

4 Likes

Shes not asking for an opinion on if she should stop or when, ! So you women who are telling her to stop should read the question again!

6 Likes

have you tried panty liner?

Get a breast pump, this should eliminate a lot of this…

1 Like

Take a towel tie really tight across your chest its call binding it will stop it

3 Likes

Don’t have that problem with bottles…

2 Likes

Yo I couldn’t lol I tried everything

Yep a nursing pad …and not expensive shirts. :+1:

The leaking won’t stop as long as ur producing milk but u can buy disposable breast pads. I don’t recommend the reusable ones, they feel like sand paper on already sore nips.

2 Likes

You will keep producing as from that breast if that is the only one she nurses from.

Buy a supportive sport bra and stuff it with socks for it to fit snug. It will prevent you from engorging w milk. I bought Champion bras at the time many years ago. Aren’t you using nursing pads to prevent leaks?

You probably can’t. Use nursing pads.

1 Like

Wear a breastfeeding pad or cut maxi pads and put it there. So your shirts don’t leak

I’m sorry this page has given a platform to ill-wishing people who want to shame you and make you feel like breastfeeding a toddler is wrong.

1 Like

Consult a nurse or doctor!

You answered your own question.
Stop

I’d have to say it probably won’t until she’s totally Weaned. To the people saying it’s time to stop, she didn’t ask when she should wean, she asked how make her left breast stop leaking if possible. When she stops isn’t up to you nor does anyone care when YOU think someone else should stop. She’ll stop when she and the child is ready. It’s not your breast or your kid, so keep that opinion to yourselves. Yes in the US we’re used to moms weaning at 12 months or so. But newer studies show the longer you can go the better. Generally people stop when baby stops or mom has had enough.

6 Likes

There are two sides to this question. When some say to stop breastfeeding because she is 3, its being judgemental. Then others judge the ones giving an opinion. This person has opened herself to not just helpful comments. That is social media. You have to take the good with the bad.

4 Likes

Could you pump on the other side to even things out? Just a thought. I stopped breastfeeding my 1st when she turned into Jaws at 11 mos. old. And my 2nd child got cut off around age 2, when he lifted my shirt up in public, thinking it was a self-serve station. So, good luck w/ all that, lol. :wink:

Breast milk is only beneficial for about the first year

2 Likes

Stop feeding your kid

2 Likes

Yep… just stop nursing.

3 Likes

I nursed my last…I had 3…for almost 2 years. I never tried cabbage but nursing pads were cheap. She also prefered my right for the last few months.

If she prefers the right side, you can probably still feed from the left breast, just use the “football hold”. Her head will be turned the direction she’s comfortable with, but both breasts can be drained and hopefully prevent leaking.

I think the only way would be is to stop completely. It’s still producing because she is still nursing. All I can think is just to use breast pads to not ruin your shirts. You can try cabbage leaves but you may take the chance of the other side not producing also.

2 Likes

Nursing pads & apply direct pressure with the palm of your hand to the side they don’t nurse off of. Or you could express/pump the milk from the unused side.

I would be giving her a cup. But, this might be a question to ask your doctor, not FB!!!