How do I talk to my husband about his sisters comments toward me?

I went through this with my sil, who also lives out of state. She obviously thought I wouldn’t tell my husband. She was wrong. He took care of the situation.

3 Likes

Should have put stop to her behavior and told him .

3 Likes

I’d just ask them what they’re problem is with me, and that I dont like how im being treated. Then just kill them with kindness. I’m not about to let someone have control of my emotions. It’d irritate me more if someone blatantly ignored that I was being rude, and kept being civil.

Be honest tell him to put her in her place

1 Like

Tell him what happen, he’s your husband & like it or not his family is your… Don’t go, tell him he can go but you are not. Don’t make him chose just tell him to go & enjoy his family but you are not going. Stand your ground now!

11 Likes

Simply tell him last time she was here how she made you feel, tell him you didn’t want to ruin their visit is why you didn’t say anything

3 Likes

Go! And the minute she gets snarky confront her … “Oh THAT was rude!” She will never do it again; I’ve done it and it works!

Tell him he needs alone time with his sister

6 Likes

Just go and endure I guess or don’t go but he’ll ask why not

Well why bringing up now, it wasn’t that important to you when it happened!

Can we get better examples? I feel like I can’t give real advice without real examples…

5 Likes

Sit him down and Let him know how his sister made you feel the last time she visited. He is your husband! She needs to respect you as well. Its not a one way road. Let him know

2 Likes

Tell him everything.

1 Like

Absolutely not I wouldn’t go anywhere where someone treats me badly

3 Likes

Obviously you’re still bothered. Speak up and talk to him about it before you start holding anger towards her and it causes bigger problems.

2 Likes

I’m built different I guess,because it would have been addressed immediately while she was present🤷🤷

2 Likes

You have told him from the beginning, and put her in her place.

1 Like

Be honest. Explain why you don’t want to go.

2 Likes

Stay home and you do you

That’s an honest conversation you need to have with him.

1 Like

You and your Hubby talk about everything Right? Tell him and maybe he can talk to her about including you in somethings.

1 Like

Be real with him that’s the only way to be real

1 Like

Tell him. My SIL dissed me every chance she got. She stole a puff a lump my mom sent toy daughter. That was the last straw. I went off on her. My hubby heard and stood up for me. He said he could see how she treated me, and was just waiting for me to say something. We are civil now

1 Like

Be honest and tell your husband the truth. Communication, especially hard conversations, is so important.

2 Likes

I would tell him how she treated you. Also tell him nicely he’s welcome to go visit and have a good time.

5 Likes

You should have put her in her place when she was visiting. I know you didn’t want to hurt husbands feelings,but

2 Likes

Be honest. Why wouldn’t you?

1 Like

I suggest for speaking with her and finding out why she was rude and see if you can get to an understanding of the situation. If not then speak with your husband and let him know what happened and that you did reach out to her afterwards and tell him what was said on your part. Do not tell him anything negative she said regarding him. Also, did the conversation you were left out of require you to be in the conversation

1 Like

I would address her personally without malice and ask her what’s the deal. Maybe the husband has told her one sided stories and that’s all shes going byAt least try before bringing the husband into it.

3 Likes

Politely decline. Let him go. Maybe for not as long g, but everybody will be happier. You don’t need to tell him why unless he insists.

1 Like

I would pray about and go be your kind self. Your husband will see for himself, and let’s see how he reacts.

2 Likes

Tell him the truth. 1stly if she was rude 2you in ur home. She would be worse in her home. Another option is don’t go, bcos once rude always rude, if ur husband didn’t see or feel the discomfort of u n his sisters attitude. Then run

How well do you know your husband? When you can’t talk to him about this? Speak up🥴

5 Likes

Communication is key.

6 Likes

You should have set his sister straight right then and there and if u haven’t then go with him and if she starts again put her in the place she belongs… u married ur husband not his sis and u need to stand ur ground with inlaws

13 Likes

Tell him how you feel about the whole situation.

2 Likes

She will probably be nice as peach pie if u go, if not let him see first hand

1 Like

definitely bring it up never allow such behavior and if he loves you n has compassion he will understand and talk to her about it

I’m a firm believer on how someone treats you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them and what they are going thru in life. Miserable ppl enjoy causing chaos in other ppls lives. Always take the high road so you have a clear conscience!

8 Likes

Um, why don’t you want to? Always be honest. Even if uncomfortable. Life’s full of confrontations and I don’t see anything good coming from avoiding them. Handle your composure be adult and be truthful. All you can do.

4 Likes

Please record her conversation as proof

3 Likes

Sorry but if you let her do it it’s on you my sister in law was pretty harsh to me I just told my brother can u speak to her cause she said this to me and it’s pretty harsh

1 Like

No way I could have remained silent about it. After I put her in her place, I would have gone to him…”let me tell you what your rude a&& sister said/did?”And she may not even want you to come so you need to tell him!!

Dont go make up an excuse …

Be honest let him know he can go but it doesn’t sound like a good time for you

You need to communicate with him

2 Likes

You should have set her straight right then and there. Your husband isn’t a mind reader. Be honest with him.

4 Likes

He needs to know. Or it’ll boil over , and explode.

4 Likes

If you don’t tell him the sister probably will. Or she will atleast continue to be ugly talking about you. Talk to him. Especially if you want him to stand up and defend you against his sisters behavior

Why wouldn’t you want to share your feelings with Your Husband ?

3 Likes

I’ll never understand not being able to bring anything up to your spouse.

7 Likes

You married him so you should just be honest with him.

4 Likes

I would totally understand not wanting to go. Maybe the first time you met her she didnt know what to say or how to say it and so it came off of rude. Or she could have just been being rude on purpose but its hard to say without knowing what exactly was said. My advice would be to give it a fair second chance and just be you. However, do be cautious, set the audio up on your phone so you can record if she does be or say something to you you can discuss it with your significant other and figure out what to do from there. However if he is your partner you also want to try the best you can to make sure his family likes you (dosent always happen) but atleast he will know that your not the bitter one.

It may be uncomfortable to discuss this with your spouse, however, at some point it will come up and he will be blindsided on more than one level. Share with him now. Her emotional attack on you was also an attack on him.
Be sure to explain that “… this made feel ____….” After all, you don’t factually know her intentions; but only how you feel. Which is what the whole point of this discussion, right?

3 Likes

Nah if anyone is rude to me I don’t care who it is family or friend I will tell my fiance about it. I’m with him. I don’t have to put up with anyone disrespecting me or being rude to me. And he wont either.

I would say something I wouldn’t put up with that

1 Like

Be honest like straight up. I don’t like my brother-in-law and I gave no f*(ks about telling him.

:joy: why hide it either tell him about it or suck it up

Talk to him
And don’t go

1 Like

Don’t go. It’s his family and you are not obligated to visit his family. I don’t like my Sister in laws and they don’t like me and yet they come to my house also live in another state they have never been rude directly to me or said anything to my face but I’ve heard they talk about me and don’t like me. I would never visit someone that doesn’t like me or I don’t like. I have told my husband that its not right they come visit when they don’t like me , its very hypocrite of someone to do that.

What was said to u? My exs sisters use to b very ugly to me they would say the worst things to me i always told him sometimes he would talk to his sisters sometimes he would talk to his mom about it and have her say something. Talk to him about it tho.

go on a vacation some where else that is what i did and keeps peace in the family In other words stay away from them and do what makes you happy life is to short for BS

I would let him know about it and let him know if it happens while you’re visiting that you plan to call her on it. You can do it politely but you’re not a doormat so don’t let her treat you like she can wipe her shoes on you and walk away.

2 Likes

Bring up her behavior. In front of them both.

My ex sisters in laws never liked me unfortunately. I wish they would have but it is what it is. Hold your ground and be yourself. They’ll either like you or they won’t. Be kind and hold your chin up.

Tell him and then don’t go