How do you celebrate your kids birthdays if they share a birth month?

What do you do for your kids birthdays when they are all around the same time? We used to do one big party because they were so young but now they are older and we want to do something individual but cannot ask our family to come over every weekend in a month…

2 Likes

Separately.
I have 2 boys in the same month. 5 years apart. Boy 2 was born 5 weeks early so it wasn’t intended to be the same month.

Both always get their own party

My girls are two years three days apart. They shared birthday celebrations. The younger one always said the birthdays were all about her sister.
As they got older we tried to do separate celebrations. It got more costly as we did an individual celebration and then a family celebrations. We celebrated 3 times.

I have one kids birthday my middle child September 15 mines September 18 my oldest an youngest share a birthday on October 5 we do cake an dinner on their birthdays but we usually go to Tennessee for the weekend around the end of September beginning of October to celebrate this year we’re taking a trip to Lego land for all them. As they get older their currently 2,3,5 I’ll let them pick what
They want to do

1 Like

My kids and husband share a birthday month just days apart. We do one big bash with family and then id let my kids choose an activity they want to do for a whole day or weekend and invite a few of their friends (arcade, bowling, water theme parks etc). Id also celebrate with my husband with a small getaway on our own weekend as well.

My daughter is fixing to turn 4 and we have given her the choice of party or hotel with pool and zoo or indoor play place etc. Last year she said no party so we had cake on her birthday and went to the aquarium the next weekend. This year she wants a party

Like how old? Take them to do something special instead of a party!?

1 Like

We only do parties on milestone birthdays - 1 , 5, 10, 13, 16, 18 and 21.

The years in between, we take each kid out on their birthday to a restaurant of their choice and to do an activity of their choice. We make the full day about JUST them.

When we do actually do birthday parties, we usually do two - one with all the family and then individually with their friends. This option gets a little expensive, which is why we only do parties for milestone birthdays.

Do one family gathering, then do individual parties with their friends!!

I only have one kid but we’ve been to an interesting double birthday party before. They had an area set up in the kitchen for one party and the other set up in the backyard, each kid had their own area and simple decorations away from each other and each kid had friends over, their family members just meandered back and forth and spent time with everybody. They did the cakes/activities at different times from the other so nobody missed anything but each still had their own party

You could let each child pick one fun place to go for the day and they can invite one friend and maybe grandparents to tag along.

If you can’t afford to do separate parties, don’t do a party at all. Birthdays are about the child who was born on that day, not the children born in that month. You aren’t making any of them feel special or important for their birthday by forcing them to celebrate together. Save up for their birthdays. Save up for Christmas. Then celebrate each as their own individual birthday.

I have 2 boys. I wouldn’t ever consider forcing them to share a birthday. Do I take both kids out to have birthday fun for the other child’s birthday? Yep, I sure do. But if I did parties (I won’t because I’m worried kids won’t show up for them) they’d each have their own. And I’m on a limited, single person income.

You wouldn’t love it if your birthday was celebrated with someone else’s.

My girls are a month a part. Both girls opted to have a slumber party this year.Wr also blow up balloons the night before and fill their rooms with them. They also get to do a hunt to look for their presents. And we go out to dinner on their birthday.

Separate- because each child deserves the recognition for their birthday. Otherwise no matter how you try with a joint - one of them always tends to end up with more attention or enjoy it more.