How do you deal with someone who doesn't understand yoru struggle with anxiety?

How do you deal with someone close to you that tells you you are crazy due to having health worries and anxiety? All of your real health issues are not real but just your craziness. They tell you your comical when you struggle. Leaves you in a silent treatment when your suffering? But you love them SO much. They can be so loving, especially when there are no issues you’re dealing with or affecting their time. So great…but when there are issues…not the person you need or can count on. They give you the silent treatment until it makes you want to apologize to make everything all better. They never apologize, and you walk on eggshells what you will do wrong next.

14 Likes

Sounds like a narcissist making everything everyone elses fault. But i politely EDUCATE them on medical conditions with several sources even make appts so they can speak to medical profressionals on these REAL conditions.

2 Likes

maybe find some medical articles online about it for him to read

1 Like

That’s not the kind of person anyone wants to be with.

2 Likes

They are called a narcissist and there is not a solution except to cut them out of your life. Sorry to be blunt but that’s all there is to it.

7 Likes

Leave… life isnt just the easy stuff, loving when there are not issues… i have been there and i left! People like that do not change as much as we would want them too. They wont.

Every day of my life

2 Likes

Maybe try having them go to therapy with you. Having so.eone else explain it will help. Everyone is different with their anxiety and at times some of us may seem crazy and over reacting etc. My anxiety was part of the reason I ended up divorced. Also agoraphobia. It was a struggle. Now in what I call remission for 11 years.

I’ve been told by one person that they think my ptsd, adhd don’t mean anything. They believe I have it (after all I have been told by two therapist & my doctor) but they do not think I suffer. They think I choose to be upset when I rarely do get upset. I know most of my triggers, I’ve talked about triggers with this person & they litterally push my buttons that I asked not to be pushed :unamused: sometimes I think it’s gaslighting, but the person also tells me gaslighting isn’t real. (Slowly escaping the friendship)

2 Likes

You deal with that person by dropping them from your life. Period. It doesn’t matter who they are… friend, family, spouse… you drop them. There are just people who don’t believe in mental health issues or people with mental health issues and those people will never change and they are of no benefit to you and your mental health. Not to mention, if that person, no matter who they are in your life, can’t or won’t be there for the bad, don’t allow them to be there for the good either. It’s an all or nothing kinda thing when it comes to you. Realize your value and surround yourself with people who realize your value.

6 Likes

Leave. That’s all you can do.

3 Likes

There is absolutely no way this person loves you. They are an abusive narcissist. The way you deal with it is to walk away. My bet is they are the root cause of your anxiety. I speak from experience. They are purposely making you second guess yourself. They are gaslighting you to make you question your own sanity and self-worth. You need to get out of that relationship immediately. It is a dangerous situation for your mental and physical health.

6 Likes

A partner sticks with you whether you are at your best or your worst. They love you unconditionally. Sounds like your partner’s love has some pretty big conditions. My question is why don’t you love yourself more than you love being with someone who doesn’t love you the way you deserve to be loved? Sounds like maybe you haven’t been loved properly by the people who came before this dude, and now you don’t know your own value. If you don’t know your worth before you choose a partner, you’ll always sell yourself short. Dump him and be single until you figure that out. You need to be in therapy, not a relationship.

2 Likes

Please do research on narcissist and gaslighting. I had an old friend point out some things that she heard through discord and she had me do my research. I have left my narcissist almost a month ago. It’s still a battle bc we do have a child together but I am staying strong for her. It had gotten to where he was verbally abusive on a daily basis yelling at me and calling me names In front of my 20 months old daughter.

Run far and run fast

1 Like

Your talking to the wrong person

I have horrible anxiety and it affects my life in different ways a great deal.
My husband is wonderful with me and my anxiety.
Very supportive. Always there. He doesn’t have anxiety so he can’t even understand what I’m feeling, but he has never bashed me, made me feel belittled, he has never told me to get over It.
Find you someone else.
You deserve better.

1 Like

I went through a long hospital stay and recovery in 2018. It left me with lasting nerve damage that most people dont understand and seem to not want to believe. It opened my eyes and I cut a lot of people out of my life. I have enough to deal with without their BS. No matter how hard it is, cut them out.

1 Like

If he isn’t willing to go to therapy with you then, for your own sanity and mental health, you have to walk way. And don’t look back.

1 Like

You leave. If they are there for you when it it’s convenient for them and not when you need them then eff them.

2 Likes

Get away from this person

1 Like

What u will do wrong next … is u staying with this arsehole…
He is making a mockery of ur suffering… he doesn’t love you … he doesn’t respect you …
Because if he did he would not make u feel that way…
He only likes u when the sun is shinning…
Drop that idiot out of ur life and get someone worthy of you… u are wasting precious time with that dim wit … dont bother trying to take him to see someone with u… he has no interest in understanding u or ur mental health… a decent person with integrity would not make fun of someone in ur position. Get rid and start to live a life where u are shown ur value… Good luck and take care xxxxx

Many don’t understand anxiety, or any type of mental illness as they can’t see it! Therefore they don’t sympathize. Best to have someone help you explain it, or give them a shot of epinephrine and throw em on a treadmill :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I would just say goodbye and leave you don’t need to be with somebody like that

1 Like

Are you getting help (therapy/meds, stress-reducing techniques) for your anxiety & what your guy thinks of as hypochondria? If so, ask him to sit and talk with your doctor so he can get schooled on what is going on, what you are doing to help yourself, and most of all, how he can be HELPFUL to YOU! (And the corollary, what he needs to stop doing that is NOT helpful.)

1 Like

You are being abused get out of there nor it will only get worse.

3 Likes

Been there, walked away from that. If they can’t handle you at your worst they don’t deserve you at your best!

2 Likes

Boundaries. All of them.

2 Likes

:scissors:cut them off put your health first.

1 Like

I’m always concerned about my man
I support him
He sometimes doesn’t always hear me or see it
When I am showing it I do give silent treatment because I don’t always know exactly what to say
Or how to fix that issue I give my best advice its not always helpful

Cut them off. They’re not for you. You’re supposed to love someone for better or for worst in sickness and in health. They’re not supporting you the way you should be.

1 Like

You don’t.
Bye felicia.

2 Likes