How do you deal with toddler aggression?

You’re not feeling as a mother. Give yourself some grace. And remember that even great ideas that will eventually work take some time. Hardly anything is ever once and done. :heart:

I bite back :woman_shrugging: opinions are very split on this but yall ain’t biting or pinching me… its always been my experience (5/5) that itll only take 1 time to show them the shock of how it feels and it never happened again.

14 Likes

I put my kids own arm in his mouth when he tried to bite me he bit himself and never did it again

4 Likes

smacking him was not wrong, I would say biting him, just might work, But there could be something else going on, Speak to his ped, Dr, People say this is normal behavior, sorry but this is NOT normal behavior, Yes, he might try it once or twice to see if he can get away with it, if he has seen it done before, but again, this is not normal behavior,

1 Like

You shouldn’t get flack for disciplining you child. Each is different and you have to do what works best. He is yours. Remember that. You aren’t a failure by any stretch. My son went theu this briefly and he’s a pretty rough boy. He got bit back and didn’t like it. That was the last time.

5 Likes

Bite back, I did it to my youngest and that was the end of that.

4 Likes

My daughter was about 20 months old the first time she thought she was going to bite me. She drew blood on my rib cage she bit me so hard… I never even hesitated, I bit that little girl back hard enough to leave a mark for a day or so… she has never bit anyone else​:+1::grin:
She’ll be 14 next month

8 Likes

Unpopular opinion here but bite him back. Everytime he bites you. And not lightly, make sure he feels that what he’s doing is hurting the person he’s doing it to. He will stop he’s just testing you to see how far he can go but doesn’t really understand that biting hurts yet he’s really most likely looking for a reaction once he feels how much it hurts he will put it together as stop. Hang in there Mama, this is a realllyyy tough age especially as a single mother so I absolutely see where your frustration comes from. Mine will be four on September 1 st and three was the most trying age so far but also where she grew and learned the most. But not before driving me to almost insanity. Easter this year while I was maybe 10 feet from her trying to blow dry my hair she climbed the tv stand and pulled the tv offf and onto the floor. This was after taking a black marker (which by the way I banded from my house a week before because she drew all over hereself while I was changing the laundry over) she managed to hide it under the couch, when I turned my back she went and got it and drew all over the white walls. It gets easier I promise :hugs::hugs:

7 Likes

When my son bit me out of instinct I popped their lips HARD never got bitten again

7 Likes

Are you taking into account that he’s probably getting some big teeth in & it hurts???

Give him Tylenol often, frozen wash cloths, popcicles, carrots, apples, things to help get the teeth thru.

My grandson is going on 3 & is the sweetest boy ever until his mouth hurts, & then he gets aggressive with me, his mom, his grandpa, the dogs :neutral_face:
As soon as the Tylenol kicks in our little angel is back :wink:
NO BITING OR HITTING A CHILD REQUIRED
imagine that…

5 Likes

I did the same with my kids you only have to do it once and they never want to do it ever again

2 Likes

Ok so I’m going to be that mom. Bite him back. Show him that it hurts when he bites you.

12 Likes

Did something happen when this started, a big change in his life? This is more then biting, also hitting and kicking. What are the triggers? Is it to get his own way? Time out to calm down,3 min for age 3. Remember no means no, if he bites, kicks, and hits, does he get what he wants? Is bad behaviour working?

2 Likes

Bit him back. Everytime I have every had the same problem it worked. Far as the hitting put in time out

2 Likes

Question, how’s his speech? If he struggles with words these are things very typical of bitters (from what I have heard) my son was speech delay and almost immediately that was a question they asked… aggression is usually a form of a feeling a young child can’t get out, so, If he is in daycare id ask what his behavior is like there, if someone watches him I’d check to see how he is there. If he can talk…
If you determine it’s none of these, when he slaps you, slap back, biting (not hard) bite back. I bet it stops! Ensure to make others know, if he does those, not to laugh!

2 Likes

How is his speech? I would talk to your pediatrician about his behavior. They will likely recommend some type of therapy.

3 Likes

You will definitely not catch heat from me for popping your child. I bit my daughter back the first and only time she has ever hit me and she has never done it again to me or anyone else. She tried to go through a hitting phase. When angry and hitting I would pop her back, tit for tat and after she was done crying about it I’d ask her “it doesn’t feel good does it? That’s why we don’t hit people” and she nodded and said yes ma’am and now doesn’t hit anymore. She will ask for high fives instead lol :joy:

7 Likes

Nite him back let him know how it feels cause talking his not understanding

3 Likes

I’m going through this with my 2 yo son and it’s been a struggle. I’m sorry momma it will get better!

1 Like

The new way of disciplinary action, No Thank You…

Bite that little turd back until he gets the picture. He’ll learn.

Have there been any changes in the home or his routine? Does he have a speech delay? Teething? I would talk to his pediatrician about it. My daughter gets a little hitty when she’s overstimulated and I just take her outside or let her run loose in the house (I have her gated in the living room). She usually just needs to blow off some steam. Keep trying momma and don’t be too tough on yourself. Kids are hard work sometimes

1 Like

Bite him back. Seriously he will finally understand the pain

10 Likes

Everytime he acts out, timeout…be patient with this. You will have to repeat this many times. Short duration. Be patient. When he starts to understand that his action equals timeout, then support him with a hug…keep repeating this. If he understands that his acting out equals physical punishment it’s a no win situation all around.

1 Like

I agree with the others saying bite him back. Before I was born my mom ran an at home daycare and my brother use to bite this girl she watched. One day my mom bit him back after he did it and he never did it again. I don’t think there’s some deeper meaning to this like others are saying, he’s 3 and discovering things he can do, a lot of kids go through this stage.

6 Likes

I feel this is normal for a toddler boy. Don’t hit yell or do anything aggressive (unless a swat on the bottom is needed for extreme behavior, but never do anything out of anger or aggressively) if I’ve had to say him on the bottom I made sure he knew I was sad and that it’s my job to teach him and that it hurts me to have to swat him, rememberat this age is not about pain it’s about the action of excepting his consequences. The key is redirecting him by showing him that this behavior hurts you and makes you sad, once you notice the compassion in his eyes you stop and tell him what he can do or do it with him (like saying sorry to the person he bit, or picking up what he through) yes you may have to do it for him but with him as he is in learning but it’s showing him an example of what he is supposed to do. Then the most important part is after telling him that behavior hurts and showing or telling him what he should do you grab your baby and love on him, especially after he/you corrects his actions. Talk, hug, kiss, hold, and give all your attention even if it’s for a few minutes.

If he is aggressive is because he has feelings and doesn’t know what to do with them and has learned, yes learned from someone else, how to be aggressive… like yelling or hitting when your mad. In his little mind he feels that his anger gives him the right to lash out.

I did all this with my very aggressive baby boy. Now he is the sweetest. He gets upset and tells me mommy I’m angry and I’m sad and I wanted to hit that kid and I don’t want to be nice but I don’t want to make you sad or mad so I’m going to sit here and change my attitude and wait ok. When he has these moments I grab him and love on him and then reward him with my attention and tell him how much of a good boy he is. It takes time but you have to be an example of the behavior you want from him. It gets worse before it gets better but be vigilant and you’ll have the sweetest boy. Mint is now 6 :cupid:

1 Like

Your not a failure, its a boy mommy thing we all go through this. It’s normal. Keep vigilant because your raising someone’s husband and father. He will grow out of it.

2 Likes

Hes likely biting bc he has teeth coming in and its painful. Hitting, kicking are just things that come with the age. Have you tried time out. Bitting, hitting back doesnt work because they still do it. But my 3yo hates time out. So it usually gets him to stop.

Get him outside to play often, go to parks, beaches or wherever he can run around and be a dirty boy. Go for walks with him walking, no stroller. It might help getting his energy out. This is what I’ve been doing with my almost 3 yr old son. It helps so much! I just let him play with rocks, sticks and get his hands dirty. He’s been way less crazy in the house lol.
You are not a failure momma :heartpulse:

2 Likes

My grandmother solved this problem for me when my boys were that age. He bit her. She bit him back. Hard. Did the same to son number two. I was floored! Shocked! Aghast! But it worked. With both boys the biting stopped.

5 Likes

I spanked my kids and for certain things they stopped. Biting I had to bite them back because nothing worked. Once I did that they stopped. You have to be stern and keep letting the child know that it isn’t okay.

5 Likes

Bring it up to the pediatrician, they usually can offer some type of behavioral therapy and it helps wonders.

2 Likes

In some toddlers this is very normal. It’s really hard but you keep redirecting, correcting and be strong! You might need to setup a Dr appt to see what they say and go from there.

Yrs ago my oldest had this issue, she was going to a place where another child did it a lot and nobody told me at first :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: they didn’t want daycare changes but I left that mess. After that it took some wrk but it stopped.
Be sure that’s not going on in another place your child is.
And remember kids learn behavior the most from us, teach loving behaviors in response to there biting, hitting etc. It works eventually it takes time.

1 Like

When my son went through this phase, and I know I’ll get heat for this… but I bit my son back, not hard enough to completely hurt him, just enough to be uncomfortable for him. Then I put him in his crib for a bit. That worked for us. Watch super nanny. She has amazing discipline tips. If you go her route, #1 rule, ALWAYS stick to your punishment. Don’t give in. Be strong. You got this.

4 Likes

Oh boy as a mom I struggle with this too it’s mainly him and his cousin get in little tiffs and they start slapping or he’ll throw everything when he’s mad I’ve done everything but he’s kind of slowly growing out of it which my older son did too not saying it happens to all kids but sometimes they get so emotional they don’t know what to do with so much emotion so they lash out like that sometimes calmly talking works sometimes not but separating him from what making him emotional helps a little to calm them down too

My daughter will be 2 in November I think it is a scorpio thing :grin::rofl::rofl:

I’ve back handed my son for biting and he’s never bite again :woman_shrugging: I’m not into those new parenting bs that leads kids into thinking that they won’t get their butts beat when deserved. I have had my butt whooped by my grandparents and I turned out just fine. My kids will be raised the same way

A little dab of dish soap behind the teeth works wonders. I tried it as a recommendation from someone. It worked for my biter! Good luck

2 Likes

Bite him back. Sounds terrible but two of my kids went through this and I bit them back, just hard enough to show them it hurts, and they never bit again. Good luck

3 Likes

He is seeing this somewhere .does he spend time with other people or in day care .if not I would certainly see if it’s not some form of autism .talk to his doctor .

Think of why we never did any of this when we were toddlers. It was serious when we got diciplined.

2 Likes

Why are people are scared to say they spank their children? You didn’t beat them. A spank is what some kids need.

Your not a bad mom your A mom!

5 Likes

Slap him and bite him back see how he likes that

4 Likes

My niece was a chronic biter and she almost got kicked out of daycare. We did we everything even bit her back she just laughed. One day she bit me so I took her fingers put them in her mouth and made her bite herself. She stopped. She didn’t like how it felt and realized that it hurt others. She never bit again after that day.

2 Likes

bite back n time out chair

6 Likes

My kids had one episode of biting each
I bit them once each
They did not bit again
I can remember biting my baby brother to wake him up, my Mum bit me, I never did it again!
Good luck x

5 Likes

When my kids bite them back so they realize it hurts same with slapping

3 Likes

Bite back definitely. Once was all it took to stop that behavior for my son. The hitting was never an issue but what I found worked for my son was not time out, it was a tea spoon of apple cider vinegar he drank when he acted out/ cussed. Twice I had to give it and no more all I had to say was do you want to behave or do you want vinegar? It’s not harmful at all and he understood the consequences for his actions

5 Likes

You’re not. Some kids are just violent. Hitting him though, at this age… will teach him nothing except for “mommy can do it so why cant i?” Every single time, without question, put him in time out for 5 minutes. Hold him there if you have too, every time without question. If you do that, he will stop. Just pick his ass up, say “no we don’t hit or bite” and keep him there. If he gets up, reset the timer.

What ever he does to some one do it back to him harder

4 Likes

smack them in the mouth :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3: once they draw blood, that’s too far. there’s some dickhead kid in my sons daycare that has left him 2 scars from biting him and legally they can’t kick that kid out. my son started biting, i spanked his butt and it didn’t work so when he left me a bruise from a bite i smacked his mouth.

Don’t feel like a failure… He is three… He is trying out his world… And no they don’t have to see it to do it… It just comes naturally… They are old enough to know what they want and what they don’t want etc… But are still learning ways to deal with all their feelings and emotions… Growing up is tough lol… Sit him in time out for a few min…let him know you are not accepting his behavior…and next time he needs to do… This instead of of biting or etc…be consistant…he is trying his oats… It’s all normal
… People always talk about terrible twos… Twos are great… It’s the terrifically terrible threes that gets everyone… Again… It’s Normal… He is growing and becoming very independent… It’s a stage… All moms and kids go through it… So don’t be so hard on yourself…ps… You will feel this way many many times… Even after they are grown… Buckle up momma it’s a rough ride

1 Like

I agree with all of the above. I always bit them back. Im a spanker, and i care not who knows. Its completely legal to spank your kid!

10 Likes

Not gonna lie one pop to the mouth my daughter stopped this behavior. She’s 4.

6 Likes

Show them that teeth hurt…bite him back. :scream::woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I probably shouldn’t put this out here but my son was the same way when he was little.

His dad & I were in the middle of custody dispute.
I bit my son back (after trying everything else and failing).
I ended up going to jail for felony child abuse. This was about 10 years ago.

It took about a year, charges were dismissed. Had to go to classes, have cps visit the house to make sure it was a safe environment, etc.
I have primary custody now.
But if you’re in any sort of dispute, I would advise against biting back if there’s someone that would use it against you. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

All kids go through a biting stage… your not a bad mother just Bite him back it will stop.

2 Likes

I would have him tested for any underlying issues.

When I was younger I used to bite and my mom was advised to bite me back hard enough for me to realize it hurt. She said I never bit anyone ever again.

2 Likes

I’ld bust his ass too. Bite him back,let him know how it feels. Once he starts school and does this, he will be kicked out.
What made him start acting out, still you cant let him keep on acting like this

Kids learn through modeled behaviour, so the last thing you want to do is bite and hit them back. Figure out his triggers… Is he trying to communicate and is frustrated that he doesn’t know how to do it properly? Is he like that when it’s around mealtime or bedtime? Just keep following the books, you’re doing it right, it’s just children take time to learn. Keep in mind that impulse control begins to develop at 3 years old, meaning he is only in the beginning stages of being able to physically stop himself.

3 Likes

I have 7 children & went three this with all of them. I suggest to bite him back ( for the shock factor) when he does this but also ask him if he liked it when you done it to him ( which I would assume he wont) then explain to him that this is the reason why we don’t bite.

2 Likes

People are telling you to bite him back noooo this will tell him it OK to bite.

Do the naughty step

He is naughty tell him this is not right and if he does it again he will go to the naughty step.

If he does it again. Take him to the naughty step and explain why. 1in for each year of his life…he will run for shit…but don’t speak to him and keep putting him back on the naughty step. It may take a hundred times the first few times but he will get it. Don’t speak and don’t respond just keep putting him back. Eventually he will stay and once he done his time out ask him if he sorry. If he say yes give him a cuddle and go about your day.

I tried the biting back and it did nothing for us… so when he did bite me I would pretend cry in front of him to show him it hurts mommy’s feelings. Once or twice and he finally understood that it wasn’t okay to bite…

2 Likes

My first son I only had to say “do you want me to bite you?” That was the last time he bit anyone. My second son I had to actually bite him after he left a decent bruise on his brother. (Only enough to understand never left any mark or redness) but he understood that biting hurts and is not okay. Every child is different so I would absolutely exhaust every other solution first.

I smack ass and make them (twins) stand in the corner with their hands on the wall for 2 minutes (1 minute per age.) If that doesnt work, they have to “scrub” the baseboards.

I was going to say dramatic as possible cry and show him it hurts! I did it with my toddler with biting she hasn’t done it since.

I got my butt whooped if I did these things and I turned out okay :woman_shrugging:t3: I look at the generation of kids today who weren’t reprimanded for bad behavior as a child and it shows. No respect.

9 Likes

When was he last wormed ?

3 Likes

I spank so… No judgement here. He would have gotten that mouth popped for biting for sure. He’ll learn

8 Likes

When he bites tap him in the mouth. Honestly, calmly and explaining doesn’t work for most kids. They need discipline. Take control of his behavior now before he’s walking all over you later.

4 Likes

Bite him back when he bite, it’s what our parents did us when we was little to break us from biting.

I was spanked and spanked. Spanking is allowed beating is not… My pediatrician told me to keep my son in timeout… Like a room playpen crib 1 minute per age and if he does it again go longer and if he has to stay in “baby jail” all day it was ok because allowing the behavior to continue will turn into a teen actually hurting you… Good luck mama

Sounds like he’s getting his molars. You should let him chew on a frozen rag or give him cold fruit and also rub powdered cloves on his gums
When each of my four children started biting at 3 years old, the first thing I did was check their mouth, and sure enough they were getting new teeth

You are not a failure as a mother! Children need to learn consequences. A toddler doesn’t understand why we don’t bite but they do understand getting bit back. It hurts. A toddler doesn’t understand why we don’t run into a street without looking but they do understand a good spanking when they go into a street. Most of the time one bite back is all it takes and you are saving your child and yourself from so much!!

I am 79 years old. That is only relevant because I have watched development of events for a long time.

The more we classify corporal punishment as abuse, and substitute psychology, the more criminals we make and raise.

Quit making the parents criminals when the correct unacceptable behavior and spank the little butt. It works… spare the rod and spoil the child.

35 Likes

I would take him to the pediatrician first and get him evaluated to rule out any physical reason for his recent change in behavior. I also would get a referral to a child psychologist. This is not normal behavior for a child.

In my experience I’ve found bitting is a form of communication, so I would check with your b-3 programs on an assessment for verbal communication?

1 Like

Don’t feel bad for disciplining your child! Bite him back! I tried vinegar and hot sauce, one of them loved it. I bite him once and never did it again. Discipline has to formed around the child. I have three kids and each have a different system. Figure out what works for him now, it’s only going to get worse.

You are not a failure! They try our patience and frustration leads us to do things we are not proud of. Just walk away. Tell him you love him and you’ll come when he’s settled down. Seek drs advice.

Kids started to go to hell, when psychiatrist started to tell us how to raise our children. There’s a difference between a smack on the butt and child abuse . Look at a lot of kids now days. They do what they want, have no respect. They know if anyone touches them, parents, teachers when they act up. Those will get in trouble. They aren’t scared of jail time. My parents smack by butt when I was bad . I learned they did it to teach me right from wrong. I learned to respect my teachers, and others, that’s how I raised my son’s and they turned out fine.

bit him back and let him knows how it feels. an don’t just do it once an quite. you have got to keep on until he stops. an do the rest the same way. until he stops

I’m starting to think this site is not for me it seems like there is A LOT of child abuse that goes on and it scares me

Bite him back really hard he won’t do it again. Actions have consequences

What did people do, before social workers? Before sensitive ass people? Before all these medication‘s? It’s so sad. There’s a difference between discipline and abuse. People really need to learn that, they tell us to listen to social workers, Cops, doctors. However, sometimes, they’re the ones doing you wrong. That being said, trust your own gut girl. Bite his little ass back, I promise you he’ll quit, if he does not. Look for other alternatives. There may be something Else going on.

1 Like

Bite him back, don’t break skin but make it hurt

I’m no doctor but you may ask his pediatrician if it’s Oppositional Defiant Disorder or ODD.

I have always heard but them back. I do not like telling you that, but you are more in control if the pressure.

This was years ago my son bit me also and I bit him back never bit again

Ouch I’m sorry you have to go thru that, I never experienced this so I cannot answer. I pray he stops sooner!

I’ll take the beat down! Dial bar soap in the mouth. Make him bite it. A smack to the butt!

1 Like

Have him evaluated at an early childhood center. Interaction with other children helps them learn from each other.

Talk about his feelings. Don’t get mad. Ignore bad behavior unless he’s in danger or hurting someone for real. Catch him being good 10 times a day, play with him for 10 minutes every hour or so. Do one on one time, keep your phone in another room.

You’ll see it get worse and get better within a week. A whole new child. I thought my child was doomed, I imagined him being an anarchist and going to prison :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Turns out I just needed to engage him more

I used to spank my child, I don’t anymore. Know why? Because it worked and I don’t have to.