How do you deal with your anxiety?

I'm a single mom with 4 kids. I work and we have our own place. My anxiety has been getting to me lately. I'm not sure if I'm just exhausted and sleep deprived. But I just wanna cry which I haven't done in a very long time. My only family I have close by is my mother in law. Which I haven't been getting along with much lately. But she always tells me we're suppose to be a team. She's really like my mom when we don't fight I wanna tell her. But im not sure.
13 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you deal with your anxiety? - Mamas Uncut

Cry. You want to cry and you havenā€™t in a long time. Sometimes a nice big messy ugly cry is what you need. Let it all out.

I have anxiety as well. Iā€™ve found yoga has been helpful and trying to carve out ā€œme timeā€. I understand that being hard to doā€¦ especially a mom of 4. Can you find some time for you after the kids are sleeping??
Not getting enough sleep is definitely an issue as well. Unfortunately, anxiety also causes sleep issues as well.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you deal with your anxiety? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Make sue your taking your meds & love your babyā€™sā€¦self care before someone else takes those babyā€™s from you they didnā€™t ask to be here be the best you can be

Talk to your mother in law she will want to be there for you tell her your unwell she will help you

3 Likes

Give the baby daddy a chance to be a father smh

1 Like

Give him another chance to make amendments

Talk to your doctor first.

Meditate or do moving meditation like yoga, Tai chi, relaxing baths before bed, exercise with your kids, see what chores you can stop or offload.

You can do simple yoga or Tai Chi with your kids, go for walks to look for specific things (flowers, bugs, rocks, water, walls, potholes, types of trees or leaves, green shutters, round windows, etc.) to keep them interested longer and engage them with the world

I was killing myself at holidays trying to write letters, bake cookies, decorate the house, put on a big dinner because of expectations, and was always exhausted didnā€™t have fun & always got sick afterwards.

I learned I donā€™t need to do any of that. Now I just put up a table tree, drape some lights outside of I feel like it, only bake my (pain in the ass) Christmas cookies if I have lots of help, and make far less elaborate dinners, using more prepared foods and less from-scratch items.

Instead of an elaborate spread I just put out cheese and crackers, got sliced ham (but added my secret sauce of brown sugar, dry mustard & sherry), canned beans vs fresh, made homemade mashed unpeeled potatoes, jarred beets and had others bring dessert. Didnā€™t have to use the good China, silver, crystal which donā€™t go in the dishwasher or the good linen tablecloth & napkins which are a pain to wash.

Are there chores you can get hubs or the kids to do? Good practice for adulting. Can you get a cleaning service or relax your standards in some areas?

Try to have more relaxing family fun. Most kids are really happy if you add waterā€”kiddie pool, sprinkler, indoor/outdoor public pool, washing dishes with dos detergent bubbles (ā€œwashingā€ for the little onesā€”only non-breakables in soapy water in the sink, and you or older kids can put them in the dishwasher or re-do later).

Managing your schedule as a single mom is next to impossible, Iā€™m aware, but if you can manage to fit in some time for your mother in law to take the kids maybe once a week and get in a good 2-hour nap and some ā€˜me timeā€™ it will help tremendously. Also seeing a medical professional about getting on anxiety meds if you arenā€™t already. I commend you for taking care of 4 children on your own. I wish you luck mama!

1 Like

Therapy, schedule and self care make a huge difference with anxiety. Or medications if itā€™s really bad

If you feel like your mother in law is more like a mother, tell her!! I prefer the term mother-in-love. And, have that cry. Letting out your emotions is the best way; you have to release them. I, personally, do this through exercising or putting on a song I know will make me cry, just so I CAN release the tension. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Cut sugar out of your diet. It feeds anxiety. Switch to a Keto diet and you will be shocked at how clear and calm youā€™ll be. :kissing_heart:

Have a good cry! Youā€™ll feel so much better! Turn on a sappy movie or song to get the juices flowing if you need to!

Share your feelings with her. Let her show you some love.

Go see your dr it maybe medical

If you need to cry then cry. I know what you mean I have had days/weeks like that. If I canā€™t just cry watch something that does make you cry (you know that movie, youtube video, old hallmark commercial whatever it is). Let it out then come up your plan on moving forward. Therapy, self care/ time for you, & a hard core financial plan. But let the cry happen so you release the stress & tension.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if you can afford to, but when Iā€™m having a really bad stretch I take a pto day and just sleep in a do something for myself. I think finding someone you can talk to regularly about it helps, whether itā€™s a therapist or good friend or family. Also, being open and honest about how you feel with those around you. Do you think you can have that conversation with your MIL?

3 Likes

Crying is a tension realized! Cry if you fell like it!

Seasonal Affective Disorder.

You need girlfriends!
Not the sexual kindā€¦