How do you get over mom guilt?

How do people get over mom guilt?My daughter is almost 10 and if I’m not feeling guilty about one thing, it’s another things.My husband and I both work full time so she’s in before & after care. She’s in school from8:15-5:15 and that makes me feel so damn guilty. And then in the summer she’s in summer school because again, we both work full time. Do any other mamas feel this way??

13 Likes

I’m having a hard time with mom guilt right now. Same thing just different situation. This is really a thing. I’m no help because I can’t seem to shake it and it seems to be getting worse so i understand but praying for you :heart: maybe it’ll pass soon but your not alone

I feel ya! It’s a thing! My oldest started staying home alone after school at about 9 years old though. (I’d usually be off about an hour after he got off the bus). He started working at 14, has a great work ethic and is like my best friend (he tells me everything). You’re doing your best, and your child recognizes that, I promise!

Yes - we all do . But then they grow up one day and they assure you that you did a great job and it makes it all worth it ! Mine was even with a grandma the entire time and she made me feel so guilty ! Now that she is grown , she assures me she knew I had no other choice and we are so incredibly close !

3 Likes

Currently having mom guilt because I feel like all I’ve been doing lately is snapping at my son. We both have been sick for almost all of Feb. He’s missed a lot of school as a result and obviously has been home. He has autism and being sick has messed with his schedule, so he acts out. I know him going back is going to be a hard transition since he’s been out for so many days.

We all feel the same way… Just know that you are doing what U must to provide a great life… Xxx

Guilt comes with parenthood no matter if you work or not. Trust me. I’m 65 and still feeling it even though I know every decision I ever made I believed was in my children’s best interest. Give yourself a break Mama.

We both work full time so our daughter goes to after school care and summer camp. Yes, I feel guilty at times…more so for summer than after school. But then I remember, everything I do is for her. We work to provide a good life for her. We do want we have to. I work so I can provide a roof over her head, food in her belly, go on vacation, have nice things ( clothes, shoes, toys etc), give her fun life experiences etc. Let go of the guilt.

2 Likes

One thing I can say is I wish my parent did the same for me , so I work my butt off for my 3 don’t feel guilty your doing great and what needs to be done

I’m lucky enough to be a stay at home mom. But let me tell you, the guilt doesn’t stop. Anytime I even take 1 hour for myself (not very often) I feel overwhelming sense of guilt.

I’ve felt it. but, be glad and happy your child gets to be social after school too, and here soon when she goes through them teens changes your gonna find that mom guilt go away… there will be new bad feelings.
just take in that tour a good caring mom, w normal feelings, and try to stay open minded for all that’s to come.

I was so blessed because my mother babysits my kids. Never had them in a nursery. Thank God for my parents

So I’m a stay at home mom so I don’t know how it feels as a mother.
But I can tell you what it feels like as a daughter.
My parents both worked full time and their jobs were basically on call 24/7.
I was in daycare starting at 8 weeks old until 8th grade. Most the time I got picked up last at daycare which was about 6/630. I was in summer day camp till the same time.
I never knew anything else and never was upset by it. And now as an adult I look up to my parents. They were true super hero’s in my eyes.
They showed me good work ethic and showed me how to support a family.
The time I did get with them was quality time and I looked forward to it all the time.
Don’t feel guilty. Your daughter is seeing awesome parents!!

5 Likes

I have mom guilt also, but total opposite of what you are going through. I am a single stay at home heart mom with a very tight and fixed income and have to receive government assistance. My son is a heart hero and has had 20 surgeries with multiple diagnoses and has a comprised immune system. He does a virtual academy online for school at home because he can not go to school campus. I had to stop working with our local school district when covid started because he couldn’t go anymore. I have him 247 365 without help. I barely get rent and bills paid each month, so money for anything else is out of the question. I feel so bad for my son and wish there was more I can do. I have tried to find a legit work from home job even before covid. We were in and out of the hospital and doctors offices. I’m not sure if all moms have the guilt…but I do and you are doing what you have to for your kiddo. Hang in there momma! Take it day by day and just make sure your kiddo knows how much you love them and enjoy every second you have together!

Absolutely. I don’t think about it too hard cause I cry. :grimacing: my daughter is 12. I’m a single mom and we have been through rough times. I will always feel guilty. But I also know deep down, she is fine. We are fine. Hell, we are good! :star:

No. Get therapy. You are doing the best for your daughter and she’ll be fine. You need to stop feeling guilty. Moms everywhere go to work and leave their kids. If you love her and interact with her nights and weekends that’s fine!!