How do you get rid of cockroaches?

How do you get rid of cockroaches? I swear my house is so clean but they keep coming out of the woodwork…I just moved in 3 months ago…HELP

3 Likes

Exterminator. Deep clean over and over. Certain plants will deter them from the house after that. If the neighbors have them tho and aren’t treating for them your fighting a losing battle.

7 Likes

Well it really depends on where you live.

It’s not necessary about cleanliness, it could be because they are in search of water. If you are finding the odd big one then you could try spraying around skirting board etc anywhere they could be getting in. If baby ones then likely there is a nest somewhere in which case an exterminator

2 Likes

I agree get an exterminator. They can live in the wood they like to lay eggs in ply and mdf so even if you are keeping up with the ones you can see, there’s more in places an exterminator will know way more than anyone else will and save you time and money in the long run.

1 Like

There is a lot of work into getting rid of cockroaches especially if they’re well established. I would also suggest a reputable exterminator. One I hired came 2x in one month for me. He had me take out all the drawers in my kitchen and between his times he visited me I had to do my part too. I forgot what he had me do but it was very important I did it because I am cochroach free now over 5+ years now. If you live in an apartment or townhouse it may be pretty impossible bc of how close neighbors are. I live in a house so 2x a year I put a perimeter of spray because cochroaches aren’t the only nuisance I have. It doesn’t help with the mice but it works well for the bugs. Had to also fill in all the cracks around the base of the house as well with caulk. There’s also a brown paste stuff (combat or something can be bought at walmart) that helps too.

I agree with the raid “gel” from Walmart. Its actually a brown looking paste inside the tube. Put it everywhere throughout the house. Along baseboards, inside drawers and cabinets, closets… everywhere. Along with keeping the house very clean. Keep putting it out however long it takes. Remove any boxes, paper bags and anything of that sort.

You’ll need an exterminator. They reproduce like WILD FIRE. Chances are they were already there (more likely) or they are coming from nearby. Someone could’ve brought em them to your home. If you see 1, there’s 100 more. They will hide in your walls and ceilings, in outlets, under appliances. If you are renting, take pictures for prof as this will be your landlords responsibility. Sprays and things only bandaid it. Get an exterminator ASAP. They will get you sick and take over.

1 Like

You may have to get your house sprayed

Get rid of all card board boxes :package: they seem to love cardboard

If I ever saw 1 in my house I would B#RN it down!!!

Girl call an exterminator. It will be the quickest, easiest most effective treatment.

3 Likes

Wipe every counter top, wall, and crevice with lemon scented Clorox wipes. And get the roach powder from the dollar tree, put it in crevices and corners. Make sure you wipe up all roach residue as well.

Also get the raid roach traps and gel.

I found a video on YouTube when I moved into a new house. It was boric acid powder and sugar and the yoke of a boiled egg…mixed it and placed little balls in various areas or used a soda bottle lids full and I swear it killed it all haven’t seen a single one. It’s been 3 years. Use caution with pets and children though.

1 Like

Baking soda mixed with sugar left in the areas you see them, make sure it is an equal mixture. Pretty much it does to roaches as alka seltzer does to birds.

Are you In multi family housing? If someone moves, their roaches will migrate to another unit. Boric acid & roach fogger bombs are helpful, but you have to wrap up all your dishes, glassware, kitchen utensils, etc. And then stay out of the place all day. Then you have to pick up the dead bugs & seal them in zip-lock bags.I

f you’re renting, it’s the management’s responsibility to bomb, call in exterminators. Bug the heck out of them until you’re satisfied. They ARE hard to get rid of though.

1 Like

Walmart raid gel put it in all the corners

This stuff from Bunnings and the sticky fruit fly traps, their roach traps are shit but the fruit fly ones are great I just lay them in cupboards with a sticky side up and they catch all the sick ones that the bait makes I’ll, plus it then catches the babies that come out of the dead ones

I think I brought roaches home from my local Pool because we never had any and then they were everywhere, and I’d seen them at the pool, this combination has knocked them

I’ve cleaned houses for decades. I’ve seen spotless clean houses with roaches. They get in the walls and under the floors. You will literally have to bomb your house. Get a fogger bomb.

This they will die instantly, and in like 15 days to a month you won’t have any

Moth balls around permiter of house. Use orange furniture polish from dollar store. They hate orange smells.

Clean the damn house?:man_shrugging:t2:

If you rent:
Call your landlord and demand they deal with the issue.

If you own: Lock up all food and pet food. Don’t leave out water overnight, dont leave dishes out overnight. Get a locking trash can. Check outside for evidence of leaks or standing water. Clear any brush. Have an exterminator treat your house.

My exterminator told me it has nothing to do with cleanliness. He said he has had people that live in brand new houses that get roaches and 5 :star: hotels that get them. They are simply looking for water or food or shelter. They love dark areas, check behind all appliances where it is dark and warm. If you have animals make sure their food and water isn’t sitting out all the time. Only feed and water them only what they’ll eat and only when they’re ready. Also check around toilets and fridge for any water leaks. It has absolutely nothing to do with being clean.

2 Likes

You’re going to need a professional pest control company. Sounds like you got a German cockroach infestation and they’re the hardest to get rid of. If you’re in an apartment, the entire building needs to be treated.

I used Talon cockroach gel.
Best stuff I’ve ever used…
Apparently it smells like peanut butter to a roach

Spray lavender and mint in your household. Cockroaches actually hate specific smells and those will deter them most of the time. Also call an exterminator too

Combat Max Roach Gel. My dad had them for years in his apartment and when I put the gel around out of curiousity, they were gone in 3 days and they’ve never been back since

Twenty Mule Borax sprinkle behind everything along floor èdge they die after walking thru it

I swear by Avion bait. They kept coming from downstairs neighbors and my parents house got very bad and a friend recommended these and I’ve never seen anything work as good. Try it out I swear you won’t regret it. You can DM w/ any questions

U won’t be able to. They come from ur neighbors. Everyone has treat

If your renting look up your state. I know in Wisconsin landlord is responsible for exterminator

Check out Mark Robers video on bedbugs. He does some tests on cockroackes as well. Its worth the watch if you are looking for a DIY. Still a lot of work, but it can be done on your own.

There is a nest somewhere in your house. If you can find it, you can target it abd the rest will follow. Check behind/under your fridge. Under kitchen sink cabinets. They love damp places!!!

Orthene fire ant poison. Put it on your cabinets. Behind your toilets and behind all your appliances and clean EVERYTHING for a week or two, vacuuming crevices etc. I didn’t have money for exterminators and they cleared a bunch of land around us and it was terrible. I swear by this! I keep the poison in all those places at all times now and refresh everytime I clean those areas

1 Like