How do you have the period talk with your daughter?

How did you handle the period talk with your daughter? My oldest daughter will be 9 years old in a little over a week and she just asked me what a period is. I understand what a period is obviously lol but this is my oldest daughter so I have never had to have this talk before. Anyone who has experience with this help!!!

18 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do you have the period talk with your daughter?

Just had this talk a little while back with my 9 year old. I stuck to the basics. Very straight forward. I’m a big believer in not made up cute words for body parts so a vagina is still a vagina etc. I made sure to answer all her questions and made sure she understood what to expect. And that she felt comfortable enough to talk to me when it did happen.

You just be honest and tell her exactly what it is. There’s videos on YouTube about it too.

i told my daughter exactly what it was and what would happen how it cones every month and that it will hurt her tummy… i even took her shopping and bought her a period kit… some pads that she can hide in her back pack and some midol which i kept and told her to let me know when she needs some and some little chocolates… its a good thing i taught her what to do as she started hers last month for the first time and knew exactly what to do :smiling_face:

5 Likes

I just went through this too. Just explain to her the female parts and what will happen. Be open and honest. Make her a “period bag” for her backpack if she starts at school.

3 Likes

Tell it like it is, it’s normal

1 Like

My daughter already knew about it she was around 11 and a couple of her friends already started, so it wasn’t new news for her.

1 Like

Ditto what these ladies said but also, this is a good book for a girl that age. It talks about all kinds of things age appropriate

https://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-Younger-American/dp/1609580834/ref=asc_df_1609580834/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312089887152&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15880072323556471305&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023626&hvtargid=pla-434856321575&psc=1

2 Likes

Was just very open about it since my kids were little… it’s a normal topic. My kids started early (10) so I’m glad I made sure they knew what to do before they started. Amazon has really good books you can get as well :smiling_face:

1 Like

There is a great book that my mom gave me to read when I was young. Also, I can’t believe it hasn’t come up until now! My five year old has a general/surface idea bc she has asked what was going on with me!

4 Likes

My oldest started at 10 years old she has older sisters and so just being open and honest with what’s going on and products we use and her dad is totally unashamed of this stuff so he can be approached as well. She actually walked through my kitchen said mom when am I supposed to start my period and I said well I guess any time between now and like age 14 why did it happen she said yep, I said ok well feed the dogs and we will go take care of business. My brother was in the room and she was just chill about it. Took her to the bathroom gave her instructions on products and said there ya go holler if you have any questions.

1 Like

Just tell her what it is, that she will get one when she hits puberty and its nothing to be afraid of. Its a natural part of life. And then just answer any questions she has. Push past the awkwardness because the less awkward you show you feel in these situations the more she will feel ok coming to you with the “awkward” stuff.

2 Likes

I’d be open and honest I never had anyone tell me what a period was until I got it and was in panick mode. I’m pregnant with my first girl and plan on being open and honest with everything so she feels she has someone to talk to no matter what :heart:

3 Likes

Just be open and honest and she will come to u in the future…she understands already and needs mom…

1 Like

Tell her every single thing. Leave nothing out.

3 Likes

Buy a copy of the book “Our Bodies Our Selves” and read it with your daughter. It’s informative, accurate and helped me when my daughters were that age.

1 Like

Just be completely transparent…make it like a very normal thing. That is what I did, my daughter knew everything way before she ever had her first one. Of course she always followed me in the bathroom when she was little and would ask questions and I always gave age appropriate responses but by 8/9 she knew most the details

1 Like

It’s great that she asked. Some kids are so shy about things that are completely natural or seek information elsewhere.
Just tell her what it is. It’s normal. If you skirt around it, it will give the impression that it’s something to be ashamed of.

1 Like

My daughter read this

https://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-Older-Girls/dp/1609580427/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=261GQHRWDPZR&keywords=caring+and+keeping+of+you+for+girls&qid=1658759532&sprefix=caring+an%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-4

2 Likes

Be honest, don’t give slang terms, she’ll be better prepared if she knows what is happening to her.

1 Like

Get her a pretty bag. Put some pads in it. Start with the basics. Try to prepare her.

2 Likes

Just be honest. It’s a normal body function and is nothing to be ashamed of. My 12 year old stepdaughter is absolutely mortified if someone even knows she’s had hers. I’ve been talking to my 5 year old daughter since she was old enough to ask what the box I was buying was for. I’m fairly certain my 5 year old is more knowledgeable than most of the 9/10 year olds in my oldest son’s class unfortunately.

There are great books out there. Check with your local library or school nurse. Make sure to tell her it’s natural, it’s not a curse or something to embarrassed about. Try to avoid too much detail about the s3x part at this age. I used to teach these classes as a health department nurse.

My daughter’s school had 5th grade watch this video, I opted for her to watch at home where she was more comfortable. It’s a cute but very informative video. We also made her an emergency girl stuff bag. Pads, wipes, and an extra pair of underwear. https://youtu.be/gv21b3ZpSLg

1 Like

Tbh signed my kiddos up for the talk at school and then when they get home I ask them if they have any questions and if they understood the video I signed them up for…. And I throw in a little story about my first period lol

My girls have been bathroom with my at young ages.and have told them in so many ways.and the school nurse in 5th grade has kinda had that special talk. With my now 6th grader.and my younger one who’s going in 5th will have same thing

I’ve always been super open and honest with my kids. They’re 3 and 5. My oldest knows what a period is lol my kids don’t allow me privacy :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Just be honest. Keep it simple and factual and answer any questions she has. Try not to make her feel weird about it.

Idk? My daughter is 7 and she already upstanding everything. I have taught her since birth so there is never a sudden shock! She goes to the bathroom if me, so it was pretty easy to explain.

Just be open and honest with her.

Mothering a Girl 101 :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

If they ask, provide all the answers that you know. If there are any questions you’re unsure of or may forget, write them down to look up or do it right there.
They need all the knowledge and information of what their bodies will do.

Start with what a period is, it’s function, and then what she may experience. Show her what she can use to control it. Mention that everything is normal.

Be honest don’t make it scary. But also this is a great time to start talking about everything else as well. She’ll be entering puberty soon and it’s good for her to know beforehand.

My daughter 2 and knows about periods. I’m just honest with her.

I don’t get why people don’t know how to talk about such basic things with their kid

3 Likes

I’am making over $155 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18556 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://SmartJob45.pages.dev

I bought a book and we read it together.

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and I already had to get her deoderant and she has days where she is extremely emotional and will cry over everything. I explainted to her that her body is getting ready to start changing and asked her if she knows what some of those changes are. She said ummm I’ll need a bra? I told her yes but right now you are experiencing big emotions because of hormones and those horomones are building up to make your body change. Boobs are one of those changes but also body hair, smelly armpits, and your period. I asked her if she knew what a period was. She said yeah blood everywhere. :joy: (I don’t hide from her and she has seen my tampons and asked what they were for at 5 and I told her the truth). Just be open and honest. The more awkward you make it the more awkward you feel and the more awkward she will feel. Explain it like any other every day conversation and if you don’t make it weird it won’t feel as weird to her.

I was very honest with my daughter. I also bought her a book that explains what happens to their bodies and what to expect, we read it together. She also knows she can ask me anything and we have a very open communication.

1 Like

Try the books the Care of and keeping of you!! Was a great help for me with my daughter.

1 Like

If they ask then answer. Be open and honest . I’m glad I had the talk last year let me tell ya!

Just be honest !! A period is something (most) women have every month … Our bodies get ready to get pregnant about once a month … It makes a kind of nest in an organ called a uterus for a baby to grow in … If we don’t get pregnant our bodies bleed a bit to get rid of the stuff it made a “nest” out of then it’s starts over again the next month … It happens for most of our lives as we get old enough have babies then it stops as we get older & are too old to have babies … Be blunt, elementary & honest …

1 Like

when We went to school in the 70’s they took all of the gurls into a short class about these things, don’t they do that anymore?

Definitely would be having that talk soon, my daughter started her period at 10 and some start at 9.

Get some books from the library, sit her down and explain it. Get her some supplies to keep in her dresser for when it happens. Tell her it’s nature, nothing to worry about, or be ashamed of. It’s better not to advertise it, but it’ll be ok.

I have twin girls who are about to turn 11. They have known about the cycle since they were 8. They walked in on me and I had to explain. Now they come to me all the time asking random questions. I tell them the only stupid question is one that they don’t ask.

1 Like

Hopefully my daughter can help you out my grand daughter just turned 10 and understand about it I was very impressed how my daughter carefully explained :blush: good luck I hope she sees that I tagged her Selena Vega

1 Like

Do it soon , don’t make it super complicated. Be honest use correct words for everything.

Ask her what she knows or thinks she knows. Go from there correct anything she has wrong. Maybe do a little shopping before hand. Have a private talk about how different things work . Get like different pads , let her try them to see how they feel. Maybe some special wash or wipes to have when she starts. Explain about how to get rid of old pads nicely. Look at how different pads work using colored water. Be honest.

2 Likes

Dude. Some 9 year olds are getting their periods, you need to take a deep breath and sit down with her and explain all of that to her - all of it. Use proper, straightforward language, offer different options so she knows what to do if she gets when she’s not with you (School, friend’s house, etc) and make sure her education about puberty and her body comes from YOU. Because she will learn about it elsewhere if she doesn’t.v

3 Likes

Never stop believing in yourself because at the end of the day no matter what happens, it is the hope that we have within our hearts that keeps us going…
We must find time to thank the people Joshua Bunker and his trading platform bsvtrading-btcearnings.com who make a difference in our lives.
I successfully receive my profit after investing with you, you are really the best and most trusted Account Manager. I really appreciate your benevolence gesture, you took time to guide and instruct me on how to invest and l got my profit within the duration of time specified. Thank you very much for everything Sir​:dollar::100::heavy_check_mark:
Contact him :point_right:Redirecting...

Clients are getting paid everyday so stop wishing and start wining, Mr. Bunker with link- Redirecting... can help you build your life financially just by investing Binary Options, Bitcoin and Forex Trading. There are lot of people here who are making huge profit trading in his company, He can generate huge profits for you just by trading in any of the investment plans he operates with. Make as much as you can with your capital accurately and perfectly,
Send a DM to Him

1 Like

My testimony started when I saw a post of people testifying about Mr. Joshua Bunker bitcoin company, after having a good view at his profile on facebook seeing successful stories on how he has helped a lot of people… I was really impresed and I quickly contacted him. Since then my life has changed financially through the help of Mr. Joshua Bunker trading bitcoin online. Click on him Facebook link below to contact him.
:point_down::point_down: :point_down:

I heard forex options trade is changing lives but I never had a chance to try until I came across Joshua Bunker an expert trader who made my first trade and withdrawal a success, I couldn’t believe it up till now how amazing my story has changed through one single investment with him. And he has changed my life financially. Thank you very much for all the profits | made from your trading platform, it was very easy and successful. You can contact him if interested.
:arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

I noticed a crowd of people giving thanks to Mr. Bunker for helping them. So I decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise my first two weeks of trading was very successful, I made a very responsible amount that I can’t even get from my current job, I guess someone might need his help as well, I can’t stop sharing his good works :pray::pray:Click on the link to contact him, :point_down::point_down: :point_down:

I wonder why people turns their eyes off Bitcoins and crypto currency trading knowing fully well they’re the faith and future of the world. Bitcoin and crypto currency trading are one of the most profitable online business I have ever gotten myself into, I am happy i made the right decision to invest with, Mr. Joshua Bunker who help me Boost my financial status… My appreciation and gratitude to Sir. Bunker for making me who I’m today, I can say I’m leaving my dream life… I’m happy I invested under the right platform… May God continue to bless you Joshua.0 I’m so grateful​:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

There is absolutely nothing in this world that will provide more comfort and happiness than a testimony of the truth.
Thank you so much Mr. Joshua Bunker for all you have done for me through your BSV citadel hedge fund Trading platform, despite this ongoing inflation , I still made awesome profits under his mentorship. Please don’t hesitate to contact him on how to earn from bitcoin and altcoins successfully
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Omg I started having pillow talk with my daughter about this when she turned 8 and just telling kinda how the body works women have millions of eggs we store in our right and left ovaries kinda like sacs holding tiny tiny eggs when an egg matures its released and travels to your in you fallopian tubes where after a little while when no baby is made your body will get rid of all the nutrients and that called a period when women bleed from their private parts. How babies are made cuz I had that question right after lol I just said it takes a man and a woman to make a baby n I haven’t gone further then that nor has she asked yet Thank God lol good luck u got this !

2 Likes

I brushed up on my biology and explained the process. What happens and why with clinical terms. Hygiene and sanitation, risk of pregnancy, tss, and sanitary products.

1 Like

Um… you just be blunt and honest. It should’ve been a conversation had years ago.

1 Like

I was just honest with mine. Explained why we have them. When it happened I told her welcome to the club…your gonna hate it. Now at 14, with 3 of us in house that have them, whoever gets it first texts the others that their next. Lol.

Tell her the truth?
She’s about to have one. If you don’t tell her the correct information someone else is going to tell her the incorrect information.
And DO NOT use anything other than anatomically correct terms!!!

I failed in that dept. I thought I had a year or so but nope, 1 month after turning 10.