How do you keep sane as a SAHM?

I have a question for SAHM that don’t have any friends and their SO works long hours. My husband is a traveling welder which means we live in a camper and move around constantly. If you’re a SAHM who spends most of her time alone w her kids. What do you do to stay sane?

7 Likes

We joined the Y and have been going swimming a lot. Great thing is you can go wherever you are if there is one close

Getting outside was what saved my sanity as a SAHM. Parks were our best friend.

5 Likes

Plan fun outings! Visit museums and library events if you have small kids. Good way to meet other moms is go to a park.
I also do things I like such as reading and scrapbooking and baking :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Beside the above what the other ladies already wrote down, doing online courses. Keeps you on track, you can meet with other people, challenges you, and you can get certifications/diplomas in all kind of fields.

1 Like

I have kindle unlimited and I read books when I’m not doing anything.

I was a stay at home mom years ago, and I took my daughter out nearly every day. We got memberships at the zoo and the museum. We also went to the park, and found fun activities around town at places like the library. If the weather was too bad, we played games inside. We made a lot of crafts, colored, and cooked. I got my girls into pageants and also spent time adding jewels to cloths for them.

1 Like

Honestly I read a lot.
Had a lot of PPD breakdowns, read some more. Some days I really needed to be around people so I’d go to the park if it was weather appropriate.

:wind_face: :wink:, also alot of water visits

1 Like

SAHM time was my favorite. Looked at what libraries were doing. Science museums. Hanging at at a creek and documenting wild life. Wegot to do puzzles, play Uno. 4H was awesome, but not an option if you’re moving around. I also got some school materials delivered once a month and the kids always looked forward to it. Get creative momma. It’s tough.

Take the kids to family-friendly community or school theater & dance performances. Join an indoor pool & get kids swim lessons so they can join you. Teach Sunday school.

Mommy meet up groups have saved me. Going to parks and awkwardly over-sharing with other moms. MOPs groups. Even fb chatting other moms online who get it. When they’re old enough, preschool. That gives me a couple hours a day, a few days a week. That sweet ass one hour of alone time after I put the kids to bed. :raised_hands: it’s tough, mama, you got this!

Used to join mom groups,volunteer at school and sports and church to.

2 Likes

Getting outside and gardening getting dirty playing with the kids doing new stuff fishing ect winter is hard summer fall spring those are easy unless your Sick

1 Like

Waitress a few nights a month. It helps

1 Like

Cannabis. I was sahm of twins for 7yrs

It must be hard to be on the move all the time . I guess your children are under school age. Does your husband tend to get work in regular places if so you could join mother and toddler groups usually run by churches then when you are back in that area you could rejoin it’s one way of making friends.

Get to know your neighbors

I’m too busy to go crazy.

How about calling old friends on the phone? Do you have a car? Take trips to see all the local attractions. Join a hiking group or a running group if that’s your thing.

Learn new stuff with your kiddos from online tutorials. Learn a craft & sell your wares. Write poetry. Draw. Take a class in anything offered by a studio, school, the county, a local community college.

Get certified to do something portable, like being a notary or an EMT. Volunteer. Some volunteer opportunities you can do with kids, like packing meals for the homeless, monitoring streams or weather, or picking up litter.

Substitute teach if you’re qualified and have a child in school. Where I live you need a master’s degree to teach but only an undergraduate degree if you substitute. Take up a new exercise. Learn yoga, another language or another skill with your kids. Make new recipes. Ask an ethnic neighbor to teach you how to make a dish from their heritage.

Get library books to read. Put on music & dance with or without your kids. Practice a few songs & wow them @ karaoke. Do SAT study prep so you can understand your kid’s homework in a few years! Learn to build something; sometimes Home Depot or similar stores have workshops to build birdhouses, shelving, ir do simple plumbing tasks for a materials fee.

Make friends at a religious institution of your choosing. Unitarian Universalism is good if you have no faith tradition. Throw a picnic and invite your neighbors to get to know them. Advertise your talent & offer to help folks for a fee (organizing, sewing, yard work, cake baking, party planning, tax prep, painting, car washing (kids can help). Join a club. Adopt a dog, cat or other small animal you can take with you. Drive Uber or Lyft when you have free time.

:eyes: we were supposed to stay sane :grimacing::grimacing:

13 Likes

Get a notebook & when you find out where your next move is to next research & write down location,days & times of activities. Free things like library (storytime, craft days, exc), splash parks, parks, indoor playground (at malls). Thing like museums, amusement park, usually have certainly day deals or Groupon. Alot of county’s have park & rec that have programs: sports, cooking, computers, exc. classes/programs for all ages that last a couple of day to months.

I was a SAHMand now I keep my grandbaby full time. I get out and go to the park or just a stroll everyday.

I go to the YMCA and put my child in child watch and work out :blush:

Go to playgroups in your city

I think the issue is you have know stability. Since would around constantly you are not able to find make friends or have schedule for your kids