How do you know it's time to switch car seats?

I was wondering when do I change carseats for my baby. He’s going on 10 months and is starting to almost have his feet hang in his carseat that I had since he was born.

5 Likes

Get a graco 4 ever! A little pricey but worth the money. They can use it from infant to booster seat. You won’t have to buy another car seat again!!

4 Likes

Check his weight. Most seats go by weight.

1 Like

The baby carseats go to 25lbs I think.

1 Like

You can switch to a convertible car seat. Keep your baby rear- facing at LEAST till age 2. Longer is better though.

1 Like

My son met the height and weight limits on his first car seat somewhere around 10/11 months. I bought a convertible car seat to switch to, and I absolutely love it.

1 Like

I had to switch my son out of the infant car seat at 5 months because his head and feet were hanging off the ends. Most places go by whatever whatever individual car seat you trade to has for height/weight requirements. Most infant seats are good up to 25 lbs and I believe 20-24 inches. Something along those lines. Rear facing car seats typically are 25 inches and 25 lbs up to 30/35 lbs rear facing and then forward facing 5point harness seats are typically up to 45-55 lbs and then boosters are up to 100 lbs.

3 Likes

When he outgrows the height and weight restriction. His feet can dangle to a certain point and still be safe.

2 Likes

As soon as his feet started hanging I switched but that was like 12 years ago things have changed

1 Like

Join CAR SEATS FOR THE LITTLES. Very helpful.

3 Likes

There should be a slip on the seat that tells you.:baby:t2:

3 Likes

In NC the law is at least 20 pounds and 1 year old then they can be forward facing

1 Like

Check what the weight is on his current seat. Also Graco has a great line of carseat that grow with your child. I will always buy Graco.

3 Likes

He can be moved from an infant seat to a rear facing seat…best is to get a convertible one that can be changed when he meets requirements to face forward

2 Likes

It will say how what the pounds is. My 9mos old just went to a Diono.

1 Like

It goes by weight and height. Check the limits on the seat. Most rear facing seats have a pretty wide weight range (usually like 5lbs-45lbs) so you can probably transition to that if you wanted to.

2 Likes

the infant car seats r only good til 20 ibs as well as if their head is over the top of the seat they need to be switched i had to change both of mine around 6 months as they were too tall for the seat. use a convertible car seat until like 45 ibs or when they reach the max height requirements

2 Likes

Weight and hight on the car seat.

1 Like

Whenever you want. Infant seats aren’t necessary. Most convertible seats (rear and forward facing combos) allow you to use them from 4+ lbs. Many people use them from the beginning instead of switching Everytime they outgrow one. With my first we switched at 5 months kuz she hated the infant seat from the beginning and I hated carrying it around. This baby were doing convertible from the beginning. Make that initial investment in the beginning and not have to worry about getting any other car seats .

1 Like

You do not have to use a carrier carseat so anytime is good to change but I do believe the weight limit on the carrier seats are 25# or if baby comes 1in from the top what ever come first

1 Like