How do you know when your child is ready to give up the pacifier?

What are signs that your baby is ready to give up the pacifier? (She’s 14 months old.) As of currently, she only uses it to sleep. She is super attached at night, but she also has almost a full mouth of teeth (missing the back 4, 2 on top, and two on bottom) and started chewing on them. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

3 Likes

I let mine give it up they eventually do don’t force them ita comforting and harmless and my kids have nice teeth.

As soon as teeth come in I plan to take it away. I had to have braces because I used one when I shouldn’t have been.

I took mine at 6 months.

2 Likes

Should have given it up before you started, but at least when teeth came in to avoid buck teeth

2 Likes

The sooner the better. They are horrible for teeth, and the longer you let them keep the pacifier the harder it is to take it away. The first few nights will be the hardest but they will be worth it. Just take them away no transition period where you let her have it one night take it away a night then let her have it again.

As soon as my son started to chew on them, I said it was time.

I took a kids fishing net and stuck a note on it from the “Binkee fairy” and said she needs his Binkees for other babies who don’t have anything and by him giving all of his up, it will make a few babies very happy and they will be able to sleep better without crying all night long and he will get a small reward to say thank you (he was 19 months old)

He ran around the house and found all his Binkees and put them in the fishing net and when he wasn’t watching I threw them all out.

He ended up becoming clingy with his baby blanket at night instead and only now and then asked where his Binkees were and I would just tell him another baby has it and they say thank you for being kind and he would walk away.

Take it now before it becomes a problem !

I think only letting them have it at night is a good first step. If they are super attached I say leave it be for a while longer. They are only little once, why cause the stress to you both when comforting them would be so easy? If you are worried about their teeth at all then talk to their pediatrician, and not judgy people in the internet comment section :blush:

10 Likes

My daughter had hers until she was over 2 years old. But she kept chewing through them so I decided no more. Took them away, she asked about them but didn’t throw a fit :woman_shrugging:t4:

Took my sons away at 2.5 and his teeth went right back to normal within a month. It’s not something I would force if your child’s not ready. If you’re worried about it causing them to need braces, most children will need them no matter what so I wouldn’t let that be your deciding factor.

Luckily my son put it down one day and never wanted it again

The nipple bottle was harder to get him off but now we are using sippy cups

I took my son’s paci away when he was two. He was very attached to it and his teeth started to misalign. It was tough for the first week but he was fine after that. Good luck.

We took our son’s binky at the same age. He only used it to nap and sleep. We just cold turkey got rid of them. He was fine within 2-3 days. He whined but understood.

My daughter is 2 and a half years old and only has her dummy at night it helps her sleep, nothing wrong with it and all her teeth are fine

Probably should soon since she’s chewing them. Becomes a choking hazard now

Never should have started now you will just have to take the damn thing an throw it in the trash an say no more with in a few days everything should be fine. Just dont put your foot down an give in

Do it as early as you can or you’ll end up going nuts when they get older trying to get them off it. My middle child was five years old before she gave it up (after many failed attempts I just let her give it up when she was ready. One day, she just didn’t need it anymore) just remember, to them giving up a paci is like a grown up giving a caffeine addiction or smoking. It’s hard.

My son was 14 months old & started chewing holes in the pacifier & I let him throw it away after I explained that he was a big boy & it has holes in it & not good for his teeth. He never got upset about it.

We have a sippy cup of milk, when she whined for her pacifier I say here have some milk instead. She takes a sip or two she is fine, worked good

I never had to force either of my girls to give up the pacifier. They lost interest on their own and just quit using it. Both of my girls have beautiful teeth. I’ve seen several other Moms drive themselves crazy trying to take it away and just decided I wasnt going to put myself through it. That being said I never found it for them once they reached a certain age ( around 18 months) but if they found it and wanted to use it I never took it away.

If they start chewing on them, you should start to discontinue use, since they cam become choking hazards.

1 Like

I started weaning mine off when she didn’t seem as attached to it. I did it probably more gradual than most would.
Liked when she’d wake up. I’d go ok put your pacifier down then I’ll get you out of your crib.
The next phase I’d give it to her once she got in her crib at bedtime. Then I’d give it to her at bedtime when she asked for it. Once we stopped we didn’t have any issues. It may have take. Longer that way but it worked for us.
Then if she was upset about something I didn’t refuse it. I didn’t do it cold turkey but it worked.

Following. I’m in the exact same boat!

My son threw it at me one day and never used it again. It hit me right between the eyes. He was about 4 or 5 months old.

1 Like

We turned it into a game on his 2nd birthday. We had a friend draw up a big card with Dora on it (she was the thing in 2004) saying ‘now that you’re 2 you need find all your suz (thats what he called them) and a surprise will be found where you use it the most’. He collected them up then ran to his room to find a toy he really wanted
He found some days later and just walked over and put them in the bin

1 Like

Cut the tip off it and she will still have it but won’t like it anymore

When she starts chewing on them it becomes a choking hazard. I’d take it away.

i took my kids away at 2. just threw them out. it was rough but it was the only way lol

Both of my kids dropped it by 6 months

1 Like

I am very happy about my experience with Priest Andrew who helped me to reunite back my broken marriage. My wife and I had so many up and down​:broken_heart::broken_heart:, we decided to go our separate ways​:broken_heart::broken_heart:. I couldn’t ressist living life without her, i tried everything to have her back but nothing was working until I heard about priest Andrew, and how great his work is. I contacted him immediately for help, he promise to help me. he provided the best solution to my marital problem and my marriage was restore back. my wife came back, we got reunited again. she promised nothing more than to have me in her arms forever. I had so much joy and happiness that in me from the help of Priest Andrew, Here is Priest Andrew email: priestandrewcureservice123@gmail. Com
and whats app him +2349064356977

I had 3 babys and none of them had a pacifier

My older three had it just at bedtime after 18 months, my youngest gave his up on his own at 16 months.
The older they get the harder it is to get rid of.

Tell ur child a baby took it, worked for me , every baby got the evil eye but lol

1 Like

Hayley L. Kaiser 14 month old babies don’t get buck teeth from using a soother. There is nothing wrong with using pacis. You didn’t use one, gold star for you.

When the child decides to not use it anymore it’s not ur place to take there comfort from them u are to provide there comfort.

My kids wouldn’t take a pacifier.

My sister law ran a daycare out of her home and some of her kids were on a pacifier the parents would ask her mind you she did this for over 40 yrs she said once they started throwing them or turned 2 take them away

My oldest never took a pacifier, I tried every brand there was. Now my 11 month old she loved her pacifier used it all of the time and then one day probably 5 or 6 months ago she spit it out and started sucking on her fingers.

My youngest was obsessed w hers. On her third birthday we had her throw them in the trash… she’ll be 4 in January and still asks for one occasionally lol…

1 Like

I took the paci from my daughter when she started getting pacifier teeth. She is 18 months and uses it only for sleep times (nap time and bed time).

As soon as my daughter would wake up I would make her leave it in her bed and she would only have it when she slept.
Give her a sippy at nap time without the pacifier. Slow cut out the amount of time with the paci.

Mine were never ready. Last year, I had my youngest “give” hers to Santa and that was the easiest of my 4.

Just think if you had to give up something that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. I am a old lady that had 4 kids and I sucked my thumb till I was 10 so let it go.

It’s her comfort, just let her have it at bed time, you can always try her without it first and see how she goes, if it’s ww3 give it back and try again another night…
my first was 4 before I took hers away, she was old enough to understand and where I live we’re great believers of fairy’s so the fairy wrote a note about them going to other babies and left her a bracelet…
my middle we just took it away when he was 2 and a half and he didn’t ask for it, so binned it, he’s more attached to his blankie though…
My third is a thumb sucker :speak_no_evil: so I try give him the dummy cos I can’t take his thumb away lol x

When my kids throw them out the car window I just didn’t buy anymore.

I am very happy about my experience with Priest Andrew who helped me to reunite back my broken marriage. My wife and I had so many up and down​:broken_heart::broken_heart:, we decided to go our separate ways​:broken_heart::broken_heart:. I couldn’t ressist living life without her, i tried everything to have her back but nothing was working until I heard about priest Andrew, and how great his work is. I contacted him immediately for help, he promise to help me. he provided the best solution to my marital problem and my marriage was restore back. my wife came back, we got reunited again. she promised nothing more than to have me in her arms forever. I had so much joy and happiness that in me from the help of Priest Andrew, Here is Priest Andrew email: priestandrewcureservice123@gmail. Com
and whats app him +2349064356977

I would rather them have a pacifier than suck on their finger that’s harder to break the habit of.

I just took them from my toddlers when I was replacing them daily because of chewing. I just told them we didn’t have anymore. They cried a bit the first night or two. But they adjusted.

Thats the wat to do it

My son was exactly the same age. He only needed the pacifier to sooth before bed. So, when one night we couldn’t find any in his room, I just calmly told him that we misplaced it, and he asked to help him look for it tomorrow and just went to sleep without it. The following night the same thing… Then he just stopped asking. And when we found one around the house, we quickly got rid of them. That was easy transition for us.

I know you’re going to faint but my daughter shut on a past fire so she was 9 I asked her pediatrician what I should do should I take it away the stored away what he said he was a smoker and give me something for 9 years and somebody took all your cigarettes how would you react she was under a lot of stress her to your brother has been diagnosed with cancer and it was also say all the time so everybody say he would run Ortiz DDS see that route that’s what are the best small and best teeth you ever seen so it’s up to parent but like you said good and I couldn’t answer that one cuz I don’t smoke it didn’t hurt her at all she only said that when she went to bed cuz under pillow when she went to school and what’s your name she was over with

Round up ALL pacifiers and have her watch you throw them in the garbage. When it’s bed time…read her a book while holding her until she’s asleep. As for me, raising three children, I NEVER even bought a pacifier because I do not believe in them and dislike them.