How do you manage anxiety in children?

How do you manage anxiety in children? My child is three and went through something traumatic on the other parent’s side over two years ago, we dealt with it then, and she slowly got better over the next year, the loud noises scaring, hated crowds and would flip out if anyone touched her and was super attached to myself and a handful of other people, she was doing so well, but here recently I’ve noticed anxiety/ almost OCD like patterns, she always has to stay clean and freaks out if she ever were to get dirty, she went back to being terrified of loud noises, smells everything she eats or touches, insomnia on most night, touches certain spots on the hallway wall as she walks past and absolutely can’t handle change, even as little as moving the magnets on the fridge, it breaks my heart to watch her go through something like this, she’s such a loving child. I thought about making a doctor’s appointment, but with COVID going around, I’m trying to find simpler ways to help her, and I don’t want to end up putting my three-year-old on any type of medication if it can be helped. Can anyone relate, going through, or has any type of advice on this?

22 Likes

If you think a doctors appointment is best then do make it, but could be a sensory issue, ik i’m like that’s self just try to keep her clean so she doesn’t have to many panic attacks

Counseling. Meds may not be required but play therapy would be beneficial

1 Like

Has she been tested for autism. I am raising a great niece with autism, many of the things you describe go hand in hand with autism

10 Likes

I would see a regular physician for a referral to a child psychiatrist. Talk therapy can help.

I think you need to take him/her to a doctor.

Get a referral to a child psychiatrist and try counseling

Don’t feed her chocolate, tea, sweets .period.

1 Like

I would make the appointment anyways. That or try a counselor.

Research weighed vest.

My daughter has autism and a lot of things you mention here… she does the same. I would start by setting an appointment with a neurologist and have her tested for it.

2 Likes

Yes I can totally relate except my daughter was diagnosed with OCD, anxiety, and depressive disorder when she was a little older. She was about 10 and she too went through something traumatic when she was almost five and I think that has triggered a lot of her issues. The biggest thing that has helped her husband counseling and learning coping skills. I will say though I did have her put on medication even though I had been totally against it because she was in such a bad state for a while. The biggest help though has been the counseling so I would definitely make an appointment and see if there’s some sort of therapy she can get into

It sounds like she’s still going through trauma. Not autism or ocd. I use to do that stuff as a kid. It took me 25 years to wake up and realize all the times I’ve been hurt and never dealt with those emotions.

My son is currently in therapy for anxiety and his phobia of sickness and since our clinic is closed, his therapist uses an app like facetime to talk to my son on his appt days. It works for him and it really seems to help him.

My son has autism spectrum disorder and my middle daughter has really bad separation anxiety…both of them have dogs and they have come a long way. This is after I tried oils and my ex husband refused to let me put them on meds. If you go this route you’d have to let the dog pick the kid bc it’s not just any dog unless you get them as a puppy. We went through 3 rescues before my son’s chihuahua fell in our lap. Then my daughter wound up with a rescue rotti.

My son has autism and definitely relates to this I would get her tested for autism

1 Like

Time to try counseling. She might be regressing partly due to the Covid lockdowns. Seems like a stress reaction but definitely something you should seek out a counselor for.

Poor baby!
Sounds like she needs to regain trust. I would look up gaining trust methods for children.

1 Like

Therapy could help teach her coping methods

2 Likes

get her into therapy. my daughter has anxiety issues and her therapist is taking her for inperson appointments

Trauma counselor, essential oils, weighted blankets if issues at bed time, and keeping your own anxieties in check about her anxieties.

For everyone saying therapy, you gotta remember this child is only 3 I honestly feel like 5 would be a better age for counseling for these things but shes just a baby.

Make an appt to get reffered to a child therapist.

My son went through something similar and evem tho hes almost 7 he still gets some episodes.

Its good to keep a balanced routine and try to have them calm down and explain why they are upset. That way you can eliminate the problem. Its hard at first but little kids need us to be strong for them

1 Like

It definitely sounds like PTSD to be honest and I would get a therapists to evaluate her. My kids were the same after witnessing domestic violence and they cling to me. There confort is close to me and they jump and are triggered easily. Her anxiety is definitely bothering her badly. Try to talk to her and see or have her draw her feelings out. I have one thay draws what she feels and one that talks my son he just grabs me and doesn’t like to be far away.

Without the obsession for cleanliness you just described me! I can work hard and get dirty without it bothering me. Another thing I do that you didn’t describe is I count absolutely everything. I can tell you how many steps are in a house I’ve only been in once, how many floor or ceiling tiles are in a room within a minute of walking in, how many squares are on a garage door as I drive past, how many steps I take from my car to my punch clock at work…it goes on and on. I have not experienced any significant trauma, I’ve just always been like this. When my parents would rearrange furniture or buy something new I wouldn’t be able to walk into that room for weeks without having a panic attack! And if someone stops anything like the tv/stereo volume at a number not divisible by 5 I have to leave the room…

No helpful advice, other than I grew up to become a functional adult. Higher than average IQ, good job, husband, kids, plans for a future. I also sleep only 4 hours a night. My idiosyncrasies didn’t hold me back any.

Please put a mask on her & take her to her docter. This child is in pain & needs immediate care. Good luck & blessings to yiu both. Peace!

They do online appointments. Maybe see if you could go that route so you don’t have to potentially expose her to the coronavirus. Her getting sick would not help your situation and definitely would cause more trauma if it turned into severe illness. Not worth the risk. Her wearing a mask would not guarantee she wouldn’t catch COVID19. Plus I seriously doubt you would be able to get her to wear it.

1 Like

Most doctors are doing phone appointments. I will contact your doctor, most likely needs a referral to a psych/ counselor to help her cope with anxiety/OCD

2 Likes

Therapy. Seriously, I had a shit childhood, went through things that should have destroyed me but I went into therapy as a teenager when I got out of the toxic situation and it seriously saved me. I learned how to cope and be a semi normal human.

1 Like

This sounds very similar to my son who is autistic. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your pediatrician and asking for a referral for an evaluation. She might not be autistic, but it sounds like she needs outside help. Receiving my son’s diagnosis and obtaining occupational therapy and speech therapy has been life changing for my son.

3 Likes

She needs to visit her Pediatrician and a Mental Health Counselor versed in children as soon as possible. It is never too early to help your child deal with life and learn to cope as she navigates the world. Whatever they suggest, you should do. They are the professionals and you don’t want this to continue because it can affect her positive outcomes later in life. This isn’t something simple, and needs to be addressed in person. Many children’s clinics and MH clinics are still open, but they are doing limited appointments. Call them ASAP!

Definitely look into Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I’m not sure how young they start doing actual therapy sessions but even learning at home strategies for the time being can really help her adapt healthier coping skills. Poor baby I’m so sorry you and her have to go thru such heartbreak. Never stop fighting for the right care for her, many doctors will turn to medicine and allow children to fall thru the cracks and develop life long issues. Take her to the doctor and get a referral for psychiatric/psychological assessment, get second opinions if you need to. She is young enough to experience real change. You are doing amazing already. Best wishes :heart:

Play therapy !!! It’s amazing and it really helps them heal … another thing is just reassuring them a lot thru there anxieties. Telling them you know it’s scary and letting them know ahead of time when loud places are coming . Don’t be afraid to take to the primary care doctor most of them are doing tele health and get a play counselor involved thru your insurance . I may also recommend an iep assessment early
On or inland regional mental health assessment just to see if ocd is a factor so you can help them with tools to cope.

3 Likes

Definitely call Dr…

1 Like

Something that might be helpful for you is to take some children of trauma classes?? I’m working on my certification right now to add to my teaching degree and the current program I’m working on has some classes for free along with activities/guidebooks for children of trauma. It might be worth it to check it out!

1 Like

Threapy of some kind for her might help where they can show her different way to deal with her feeling besides get mad like you have said. I think best option

My DIL is a child social worker I would suggest trying a therapist

Call local mental health facility and see about getting her a Counselor they will do face time appointments and some go to the schools for visits when school is in session it helped my son

Has she be tested for autism. A lot of what you have described sounds like my daughter she is going on 5 and is autistic. No i am not saying she doesn’t have anxiety just maybe she also has autism as well

5 Likes

I would get her help right away, if not treated it can get worse.

1 Like

My daughter is older almost 14 and has severe anxiety and ptsd from a traumatic event. Those sound like her coping mechanisms. Without therapy my daughter cannot function in public situations. Sadly the stay at home orders have broken a lot of work. Your child will need help to process her traumas and all of the suggestions here are great. Our therapy right now is phone and video based. Not sure how they would work that with a preschooler. Luck and love to you and your baby.

2 Likes

I agree with play therapy. My daughter has severe anxiety and would do most of the things you said. It has helped her tremendously. She still has bouts with it however we know the signs and know how to talk her down. What use to take hours to deescalate now takes about 15 minutes. Definitely a lot of reassuring and love. Good luck :pray:t4:

My son did play therapy. Had Now his 8 and a lot better.

My son has anxiety, he’s been seeing a therapist for years. I suggest seeing a therapist. As parents we can only do so much until professionals need to be called. The good thing is the therapist will give you ways to help her cope at home.

I have a very anxious 10 year old. I knew she was different from 6 months. She goes through awful episodes of breakdowns and would have to miss school school for a week or two at a time. She was put on Prozac in first grade it has worked wonders. Some people just can’t handle things. It has a lot to do with genetics also.

My kids didnt have a traumatic experience but 2 have autism… With severe generalized anxiety and depression sensory issues etc…Essential oils… Keep an eye on her if she starts to have a break down take her somewhere she can be away from the excitement and have her take deep slow breaths… Sing a song… Count… Or say abcs… If loud noises bother her give her ear coverings if its a place she cant leave from… We use sound deadening headphones and allow her to listen to music or a show… Allow her a comfort item… For my son it was a puppy stuffy for my youngest it was a blanket… And when you are able to get her into see a professional… Cbd has also been a huge help for all my kids with anxiety etc… To help with dealing with change… Soon as you know a situation is going to change start warning her and preparing her for it… The more notice you have the easier the changes will be to deal with… For touch sensory issues… Theres not a whole lot i can offer on this as we still deal with this we just watch and make sure nobody touches in those spots (my son has issues with the back of his neck and ears) if you wanna talk my inbox is open i can give more options to help … Just message me

She sounds like she went thru some sexual trauma.

Try small doses of cbd

Sorry to hear this about ur lil 1 plz try not to go to meds for now… having studied child psychology i dont recommend meds for kids… try a more natural approach ash ur pharmacy or retail health stores for something…
Organic coconut oil works wonders for development of the brain etc… 2 tablespoon melted organic coconut oil daily if u stick on it slowly surely u will see a diff with bubz… all the best our prayers are wit u

My oldest daughter was diagnosed with PTSD when she was 3 after watching my ex try to kill me when she was 13 months old. He left me laying there and she curled herself around my head and cried constantly saying Mama u ok? Mama wake up. She started getting terrified with any type of loud noise, any sign of aggression, she would literally freeze and pee all over herself. Obviously I took her to DRs and counselors and they did help. Some. I even had her enrolled in a special pre school that offered daily counseling and all sorts of things for children with any type of disability. The best thing that helped her though was time, and constant reassurance that no matter what Mama is always going to be there to hold her and love her. She’s 15 now and even though she knows she and everyone she loves is safe now, she still has her moments and when those moments come she still curls herself in my lap and I still offer every comfort and reassurance I possibly can. When it comes to our children the best thing we can do is give them time, patience, reassurance and comfort. It’s a long, hard road, most days we as mothers will feel like failures because we should be able to fix this for our children, but just know that every hug and every reassurance and every long night IS helping. Every time you want to pull your hair out because you can’t figure out how to help her just take a deep breath and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that with love, patience and time she will be ok again.

Talk to her. Just bc she stopped talking about it doesnt mean she stopped dealing with it. I talk to my kids all day like where were going what where going to do what we may encounter when were leaving etc. When they know what to expect they r less anxious n listen much better. As adults we want to know whats going on kids do too