How do you manage college and parenting?

Moms in college, how do you manage working, doing schoolwork, and being a mom? My child is 4 and constantly wants my attention. She’s an only child so it’s not like she has siblings to play with and she always wants me to play. I feel bad telling her no I have to do school. Do you wait until they’re asleep? She doesn’t fall asleep until late so that’s kind of out of the question for me to be able to do. I’m feeling burnt out and overwhelmed. Thanks in advance

5 Likes

I am a mom of 2, in college and work full-time.
Explain it to her in a way that she understands that you have to get your homework done. If she insist that she needs to help you have her sit down and color or work on pre- k stuff you can get books at Walmart. This way you both can do your homework together. Explain once you’re done with what you have completed whatever needed to be done then you guys can play. I also do mine after bedtime.

1 Like

Yes! I’m a store manager and also have kids. I did all of my school work when they were asleep or I used to have them get their drawing books “their tablets” and had them do their “school work” with mommy

1 Like

Dad? Mine used to get to do fun stuff with Dad so I could catch up on College work. Or sadly you get up early in the morning to do it. I suspect that soft play and play parks are also your friends. You can study whilst your child runs around with new-found friends. Also, plan play-time and make it fun. So work time for you, then time for them when you’ll bake/craft/do makeovers/go for a walk/kick a ball with them.

I always did my schoolwork on my breaks at work and I’d wake up an hour early to do work and after he went to bed I’d do more. I had the luxury of having a lot of my textbooks on audiobook so I would just listen to them while I did stuff and took notes when I could. It was tough!!! But it’s possible if you stay focused and determined

I was like 20 with a 3 year old going to school… I put him to bed at 7:30 and then I did my school work, Or I’d do some when he was playing/watching movies…or while he was at daycare during the day I’d use the library at school between/after classes.

My kids went to bed at 7:30 p
Until they were 7
I was also in college with a 1 and 6 year old ….
She needs a way earlier bedtime

Well if she is 4 she should be going to be early. Or you could get up early and study then

I did after she went to bed she was 7 when i started

I would suggest an earlier bed time - she’s 4 and you’re the parent. She should be in bed by like 8pm.

Also, if you’re trying to do school work while she’s awake, I would suggest hitting up the Dollar Tree and investing $20 in the age appropriate learning books and crayons, sit at the table to do your school work and have her sit there with you and do her “school work”. Not only does this allow you to get your work done, but it allows for spending time together and it gets her a jumpstart on her letter/number/writing skills - this is what I did with my youngest daughter when I was finishing my associates degrees.