How do you start the potty training process?

My first one not potty trained until about 2.5 years if you include pooping. My second one a little earlier. Preschool helped finish what I started.

That’s why children don’t get trained is because they are placed in pull-ups and all they are is moving the child to the next level of a diaper so they think it’s ok to pee and poop on themselves

My oldest son’s was potty trained at a1 year old . My daughter took almost 1 1/ 2 years . But all my other’s were at 1 year old both a girl and a boy

I had a little step stool. Put cheerios in the water and they would try to sink them. After a bit they hated the wet undies. Worked really quick😉

Training pants first then into little boy underwear or little girl panties whatever you have child. No pull-ups confuses and makes them think diaper’s

Cloth double paneled training pants . Yes you may have to wash them out and dry them alot . But that’s the learning process and to reward when they use the potty as a big boy or big girl

They say boys take longer. Both mine were close to 3.

When they show interest or your wasting your time. Usually around 2

Just start sitting them on the potty and say pee pee on potty or whatever you prefer…I taught my boy to make sure “it” stays inside the potty…anyway kids learn differ and 16 months not to Earley to try…both mine caught on fast but I believe I didn’t try until about age 2?

But it really depends on the child and how much you work with them

16 months is too early. I’m just starting to try toilet training my 2 year old.

Really depends on the boys I would like to know too. Mine is 3

I don’t even start until after two at less than that you’re training you not them lol

Make it like a game see how it works.

You can’t push them to do something you wanna do. You have to let them do it naturally. And 16 months? That’s baby Lmaoo

I think that is very young. Please don’t force it

The first time they are dry all nite!!! Time to try…

Ask your pediatrician! Shouldn’t be asking Social Media Folk

I just started putting them on the toilet and encouraging them to use it

I’m surprised to hear such a young child is toilet trained .

O did the no pants with both boys. Worked like a charm. .first at 20 months 2nd at 24 months

That’s easy let him pee outside.

Chelsea Danielle here’s a nice comment thread about potty training little boys. Looks like you have a while before you even have to worry about it.

1 Like

doctors say boys should not start potty training until 2 1/2 years old

is the dad around ? it helps. with little boys

1 Like

I started potty training as soon as they started walking. My kids were fully trained before a year old

2 Likes

Take bottles away first.

My twin grand daughters I had trained at 18 months…it was simple you just have to train your self to stay on it…consistency is the biggest factor…

if he stays dry all night, then you can start with potty training. If he is still wet, wait a while.

after the 2nd summer

16 months isn’t even a year and a half old. I can’t imagine children that age being potty trained already. I’ve had seven kids. They have to be old enough to understand and want it.

32 Likes

Every kiddo for me was different. Recently I just bought a little potty and I have it sitting around and my daughter just runs around without a diaper and just goes in the potty when she needs to. She picked it up super fast. Like right away. She’s two and a half though. I probably wouldn’t even start before 2 honestly. I have four kiddos and I can’t imagine them being potty trained before then.

3 Likes

Everyone that I know personally who started potty training really early, it took months before their kid was finally trained. With mine, I waited until they were between 2 1/2 and 3 and they trained in about a week. Call me crazy, but I would much rather wait a little longer and not spend half a year on potty training if they’re not fully ready yet. When they’re older, they understand a lot better and you can just talk to them and explain it. So much easier and less stressful! :blush:

1 Like

My daughter was potty trained at 12 months. She had her yearly check up and she peed in a cup for them. Doctor was amazed. Yes, it’s very uncommon to be potty trained at this age but not impossible. All kids are different and have their own time when they are ready. My 3 sons however were almost 2 when they were potty trained.

Just b4 two. My granddaughter was potty trained by 2. Have your toddler watch Cocomelon. Great show for toddlers and hass 3 shows teaching about going potty.

I think the best statements in all of this are. 1. All kids are different 2. A good indicator is, they wake up dry 3. Control of the sphincter muscle is necessary for real training to occur. Otherwise you are just training yourself.

After reading some comments, “night train “? How do you night train ?

Most boys train around 3 but some daycares are pushing it at 1. Just buy a training potty and have him sit on it. Don’t start a boy standing! He’ll figure out the standing part on his own later. I tell my boys to push thier penis down and it goes in the toilet. If you don’t tell them they won’t and they’ll pee all over the bathroom. If he’s interested he’ll do it. Kids can get stressed if you push to hard. Then they’ll have more accidents and wet the bed more often. I usually let my kids train themselves. Pull-ups are great. Easy cleanup. But a lot like a diaper so they can make the process take longer… but my house and relatives homes are all carpeted so I do pull-ups.

I had 3 boys they were potty trained at 14 mo 16 mo and my oldest one said he was potty trained on his second Birthday! He put on big panties that day and never wore a diaper again. Every child is different. They let you know when they’re ready.

1 Like

Ekkk
I feel really blessed
My daughter was potty trained before 1
And my son just turned 1 and is almost completely potty trained - pull ups for naps and bed time

Ignore them. You can “train” your baby by working out a diary of when they wee and putting them on the potty ten minutes before… but who needs that? Look for signs like a dry nappy at night first. I wish I’d ignored my HV telling me to use a potty when mine wanted to be like Mummy on the toilet. Go with what they want for now. You could buy big boy underpants together and talk about how nice it is to feel dry and clean if you want to start. Pull ups are a great first step too.

Mine didn’t develop the nerve which tells a kid they need to pee until aged 5. This is NORMAL RANGE.

Wait for them to tell you introduce the idea they will let you know

Might be a bit early but read an Amazon book called: The Three Day Potty training method. Its fantastic. I used it. Started Friday morning and by Sunday she was potty trained. Then went on to only have occasional accidents only. Great book.

Naked & lots of clean up!

I’m starting process with my 18 month old she knows when she goes she will bring me diapers and wipes but with my boys I would set alarm for every hour and attempt to go and do that for a few days it seems to work but take your time he’s still little and might not be ready my oldest son didn’t potty train until he was 3 my youngest son was almost 3 my oldest daughter was 2 girls are a little easier then boys but don’t rush it or he might not want to try it can be frustrating to a little one

the day care potty trained my child. easiest job i ever did .

They will give you signs… removing their diapers, going longer periods without wetting… I started with my son around age 2, got pull-ups & a potty chair and sat him on it every 30 minutes while he was watching TV or something. He gradually learned that way. Boys are usually slower at training then girls.