How do you survive sleep regression?

How did you survive the four-month sleep regression? My baby is getting up every single hour at night. Please help! Our current routine is the bath, storytime, nurse, and bed by 730-8. He sleeps in a crib in our room, swaddled with one arm out. Then when he wakes up every hour, I nurse him back to sleep and put him back in the crib. I’m exhausted, any suggestions?!

9 Likes

I co slept and didn’t swaddle

2 Likes

Essentially for babies growth.
I WOULD NOT introduce bad habits to make your life easier. You will regret it in the long run. Its temporary. Just tough it out.

2 Likes

Just keep doing what you’re doing. Enlist help if you have it. It’s a phase and rough on them too as they develop and work out their sleeping patterns. It will pass.

Growth spurt and increasing milk production it will pass

I swaddled and co slept, how old is she ? Is she ready for her own room because she MIGHT be getting broken sleep being in our room . I do slept and mine both slept from 6pm till 7am with one get up for milk until they hit 3 months ish then slept through the whole night so I believe co sleeping worked great for me . Even now they Are 4 and 5 and love their sleep

1 Like

Might be hungry, a spoon of pablum should do it

Just keep doing your routine. It will pass eventually. Sleep regressions are hard work. If applicable, Wake up your partner and have him/her help you when you need a break.

Reach out to friends/family. See if someone will come over for a few hours so you can get some sleep.

Skip storytime and do whatever you need to to survive lol i have a 4mo too who hit his regression a little early

I have no advice other than your body adjust and You just get used to it after awhile. My son is 3 1/2 yrs old and has never slept through the night. Still wakes up about every 2 hours. He always has.

I was so ready to do any form of “sleep training” at this point but my dr told me most babies don’t really “get” the concept until 6 months. He told us to hang on for dear life until then. I chose to do CIO because so many of my mom group had great success with it. I was terrified but night one only took him 15 minutes to fall asleep and by night 3 he went to sleep with no fuss. I was still going to do some nighttime nursing sessions but he stopped waking up all night :woman_shrugging: I just nursed him the 2 times a night he woke up and gradually over a few months he dropped those on his own too. I know not everyone has such an easy road with this method but for us it worked like a dream.

My baby had the 4 month regression so bad! I co slept with him for awhile and had his crib in my room. But as soon as I put him in his own room, he started sleeping through the night gradually… babies have a funny way of telling us what they want, and my boy wanted his own space :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: made me sad, but a lot happier sleeping through the night!

Put a little rice cereal in his bottle before bed.he may be going through a growth spurt and need something a little heavier before bed

6 Likes

just keep doing that. if you need/ want to express your milk and have it stored it the freezer so someone else can bottle feed him while you sleep for a few hours

Have you tried massaging him with lotion before bed? It usually puts my baby right to sleep and she sleeps well through the night. Sleep when you can. When baby sleeps you sleep. I know it’s hard the first few months but itll get better with time.

Also dont be afraid to ask someone for help! Have your mom or someone you’re close with watch the baby so you can sleep for a few hrs :slight_smile:

Try putting them to bed a little earlier. That worked for us.

Take your nap the same time.w the baby.

Ask your Dr if you can start giving him a little cereal. All mine were breastfed and started solids at 4 months with their pediatrician’s approval.

You need help you cant do it all as much as we try you get burned out quick may be try not swaddling my baby hated being swaddled

Sleep whenever you can

If you have any help utilize it! Maybe someone who is willing to spend the night so you can catch up on sleep or during the day or evening. I called on my mother and mother inlaw during the week so i could catch up on sleep or if i was drowning in household chores. Even an hour or 2 where baby is out of the house and you have uninterrupted sleep helps so much for those late nights where you know you’ll be up all night.

Keep the routine. This will pass. Could be anything from a growth spurt to gas. If they wake up and cry, go to them/hold them to show that you’re still there and put them back. It will get better, babies need security and a routine helps!

My son woke every .45 minutes for the first year.
Maybe a little massage will help and going to bed later.
You need some help with getting up!

No matter what you do. DO NOT CO SLEEP
I can’t understand how some women do this and recommend it.
If you are breastfeeding try to give a couple of oz of formula as well before going to bed.
If your baby is already eating give him some rice cereal in a bowl. Never in the bottle.

4 Likes

Your baby isn’t getting enough milk probably, consult a lactation coach or pump at night to ensure that the baby is indeed getting enough milk.

it’s only a phase; a very painful phase. nothing really gets u past it besides them outgrowing it. just stick to a routine is all u can do. mine is 10 months and still wakes up every 2 hours

2 Likes

When my son was 4 months he was in a bassinet next to the bed but he kept waking up as soon as we put him down or every half hour. I tried everything… white noise, bouncing on an exercise ball, rocking, singing, bedtime routine, massage, less naps, more naps, later bedtime, earlier bedtime, heating pad, extra milk, extra help (but he only wanted mom)… the list goes on. This went on for 3 weeks until I was extremely sleep-deprived. It was affecting my mood, and my marriage. Finally I brought him into bed with me. He only woke up a couple times in the night to feed after that. If you haven’t tried bedsharing I highly recommend it… Just be sure to follow the safe 7.

2 Likes

It won’t last forever. U can get through it mama. Maybe try white noise machine. I hear those work well for some kids. No need to try feeding him solids this early just so he’ll sleep through the night.

My baby girl is 5 months and only last a few days what work for me was sticking to a routine pretty much what you have already going I just pushed her night time routine 30min stay strong it only a few days also I pump I would also check how many oz of milk you are nursing maybe switch breast my baby girl at 4 mo the started drinking 3oz to 3.5oz And ask for help my BF helped because that week was horrible :confounded::yawning_face: don’t give up on the routine and nursing your doing great

You don’t survive. You became one of the living dead. The zombie apocalypse begins with motherhood!

Co sleep lol
I dream feed my babies and I get more sleep that way :wink:

My pediatrician said " baby will wake up and because baby is in your room knows you are right there so if you want them to sleep more move to another room if possible" or continue to wake up every hour knowing time will pass and you will miss this! My daughter is now 7 months and still waking up all the time still sleeping next to me because her sister is 16 and I know how fast time goes by and how much I’m going to miss this!! :cry::sob: