How do you teach kids about periods?

My son knows about it, he knows it happens to all girls and that if he ever sees a girl with a stain or being bullied, to always be kind and help her. He’s always trying to take care of me when I’m cramping, bringing me water, my neck pillow, and he’s only 6.

6 Likes

My boys are 4 & 7 and unfortunately my oldest saw blood once so I explained to him that once a month women bleed for a week. He doesn’t really need to know much more just yet. Maybe when he learns more in school and then I’ll go more in depth.

Don’t ask me about ovulation though bc I’m 32 and still don’t get it

2 Likes

My 8 year old son knows all about it!! I was a single mom he asked questions why I bought myself diapers :joy: I just explained it to him and told him that all girls go through it and to be nice about it

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 so I have already explained what would happen

They make a book called “sex for dummies” it covers it. Covers it ALLL.:grinning: im not making that up for a joke i got it when i was 11.

My son is 10. If he has a question I simply give him a straight answer no embarrassment, no trying to soften the information into childish terminology. He doesn’t always like what he hears…ugh mom. But I want him to know if he has a question. Or is curious he can come ask and he’s gonna get an answer. I’m sure eventually we will need to sit and have a conversation but for now that’s what I do.

1 Like

You don’t state the children’s ages,but I have found keeping to the simple truth worked best with my 3boys,also discussed masterbation,helps if they feel they can talk about what’s going on with their body’s and emotions.

1 Like

Tell them it’s what happens when you become of age. My mom never talked to me. I learned from 2 neighbor girls. It just happened and I accepted it

I already had this talk with my 8 year old daughter a few month ago. She knows I use pads and tampons and she asked what they were for so I told her the truth and why women bleed. Told her it will happen to her in the next few years and she just said " That’s weird but okay 💁" now she always knows when I’m on my period because she knows I get headaches and feel nauseated lol she’ll say “mom, do you need me to get you a pad?” Lol just be honest and explain to your child what it is and why we women have it :relaxed:

They taught us about it in 3rd grade at school :woman_shrugging:

So far my 9 year old daughter knows we bleed every month, i told her before women have these things that hold eggs (she was 5 at the time of telling her, but she went through Walmarts bathroom screaming “my mommy is bleeding help”) this things sends out eggs, and the uterus sheds. Now at 9 I don’t know what else to tell her. Lol. She knows she will bleed soon and that it will probably hurt. And she knows how to put a pad on under, the different sizes and different blood flow. But she doesn’t know much more.

https://www.thetalkinstitute.com/blog/explainingperiodstoboys

This article is great.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-do-you-teach-kids-about-periods/11598

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-do-you-teach-kids-about-periods/11598

My mom bought us kids’ science magazines and girl’s magazine early one and they were always age appropriate and very helpful. When i first got my period at 12, i wasnt surprised or scared or anything, just annoyed that i will have to wear a pad. I think it’s important for kids to understand the scientific explanation of it it makes the whole thing less scary.

3 Likes

My daughter started at 10. I wasn’t ready for it. But she knew what they were because I’ve always been vocal about mine, and how much I hate it :laughing: She is super embarrassed about it though but getting better. We talked about pads, how often they need changed, if she gets cramps what meds she can take. My son is 5 and knows a little about them. He knows what pads are and what they are for.

11 Likes

We just were straight up with my 14 year old son. I wanted him to know about it and not be one of those guys that are grossed out by something natural that women go thru.

27 Likes

I’ve been straight up telling my daughter. She needs to know how her body works, i explained to her why we get our period (she is 10 doesn’t have her period yet but I don’t think it’s too far off unfortunately for her)

Honest, accurate, straight forward answers. You will be surprised with how comfortable most kids are comfortable and naturally open to discussion of the human body. The more they know from you the better

34 Likes

I’ve just always been super open and up front about stuff. I guess depending on how old she is depends on what you say, but chances are she already has an idea. It doesn’t need to be a big production.

4 Likes

We had a period party. Red balloons, spaghetti, punch and red cake. We talked about pads and tampons and showed her how to use them and dispose of them properly. She asked questions and we discussed ways to alleviate cramps and mood swings.

19 Likes

When my mom explained it to me and I explained it to my son, it was just honest and straightforward, no matter how “gross” it sounded. It’s the easiest way to do it. Use the correct terms, like menstruation instead of “the monthly visit from aunt rose,” but also tell them that is how some women refer to it. It’s great that you’re willing to talk to your daughter about it, I know some kids whose parents never talked about the subject.

1 Like

I have 3 sons and will 100% be explaining puberty for both boys and girls to them. Raising further husbands and fathers and they need to understand it all

4 Likes

I sat my sister down around 10 years old and showed her an example of a pad. I took a pair of underwear and showed her how to put them in the underwear. I told her briefly, not in much detail, what will happen. That she will bleed.for a few days every month and that its normal. It will happen out of nowhere but don’t be alarmed. I put a few pads in her backpack for her and told her when it happens please come tell me and we will talk more. We had similar discussions every year until she got her period. I dont feel a need to go into detail about why it happens at that age. 13 was a good age for that discussion in my opinion.

6 Likes

I don’t have a daughter but my son will say in the store “mommy don’t you need these?” While holding up the pads. :rofl: Kids pay more attention than we may realize. Just talk to them.

I don’t remember it ever being discussed with me. I remember being given a book “the care and keeping of you” and told to ask questions if I had them when I was done. It was a good book if I remember right. Lots of illustrations and topics

I bought a book from Amazon - The Little Book of Growing Up. I read it first, then talked to my daughter about it first, before giving her the book. I think she was 9. It is very straightforward, with no silly terms, and nothing about sex. And I would say, just call it a period, no strange names to make them frightened or confused. Good luck! x

8 Likes

My 8 and 10 year old girls know what periods are. Recently my 10 year old started having a few mild pms symptoms I think we’re right around the corner from it. But anyway we all (there’s 5 of is total) and I mean all took a horrid tummy flu at the same time. 1 bathroom! :cold_sweat: so my 10 year old was about 6… my 8 year old about 4 and my son was 1.5. They all got Pads put in their undies as backup protection. You could not trust a fart, or even a sneeze lol so they know how they work. I’ve been open and honest there’s no sense in hiding a natural body function.

11 Likes

I’ve always been open with my kids, boys and girls using the correct language. They ask many questions and get straight answers. Only way to do it in my opinion

3 Likes

For the daughter I’d make it fun like make a survival monthly box because we as girls didn’t ask for this put some pads in there some chocolate some magazines, some little notes for a one time use for junk food at anywhere she’d like. And then be straight out honest with her, let her know that it’s a part of growing up and that when she goes through this cycle every month she’s got nothing to worry about.
As of your sons let them know that it’s a natural thing for a woman to go through and that just like girls they’ll go through changes as well like their voice will change.

Be open an honest. Tell them depending on the age what they want to know. They will lead the way.on how much they want to hear at the time. It is never to early to discuss our body function both in males an females.

Give them accurate information. My grandkids have been aware since they were old enough to start asking questions. There’s nothing to be secretive about…it’s a normal bodily function. There are great anatomy books out there that use accurate terminology and give explanations that you can help them understand on their level

4 Likes

There is this book called what’s happening to me and where did I come from…those work too open the conversation!

First of all call it a menstrual period or going through puberty. Never a good idea to give funny names to things, use proper words, no matter how uncomfortable it makes u. I talked with my daughter after she turned 10 told her as best I could about her period. I explained to her it’s the natural cycle of becoming a woman. N if it ever came I told her to tell me. Nobody talked to me, I thought I was dying when I got mine. My son’s, I talked with them at 9 n 11, we Google information to help them understand the changes going on in their bodies. I let them ask me questions n I tried my best to answer them. This is where u can teach them also about girls menstruation. I never did that yet but I do feel like its a conversation that could happen in our future. I feel its best to be honest and open with them to help them through this new journey into young adulthood.

2 Likes

My parents told me the truth by 9 years old I knew everything the reproductive organs how babies were made and fortunately for me that’s when I started my. You have to be frank and upfront with your children just make sure they’re old enough to understand

I taught my oldest daughter from a young age what to expect, her product options and even broke down the pink tax (which she finds as Ridiculous as I do). She was given a “go bag” for her school bag around the time she was 10 (we start young in my family). Brutal open honesty about it worked well for us because we don’t get to not have one so why sugar coat it?

I have two sons and they have been taught absolutely everything about the female body and about periods,when they happen,how they affect a woman physically and emotionally and how they can help instead of hinder,they no about different sized pads and flows and how to help…like buy chocolate and heat up warm hot water bottles,I suffered terribly with mine as I have endometriosis I ended up having a full hysterectomy in my 30s and my boys saw it all,saw how painful periods are,how brutal they can b and they are comfortable having convos about periods with their female friends,it’s important we educate our boys as well as girls about how both male and female body’s work

I’ve always been open with my daughter. She is almost 7 with 2 younger siblings. I told her where babies come out of your body before my last baby. So she was around 5. So she could understand I described it like this… I told her there is this room in your body and that is the baby’s room. Every month your body gets ready for the baby to come. It decorates and buys gifts and all kinda of nice things because it is so excited to meet the baby! Then your body finds out the baby isn’t coming and it gets so upset that it trashes the room. It rips up the decorations and breaks all the presents and throws it all out the door. Hahha obviously it’s a silly story but she was 5 and wouldn’t understand all the other words yet. We’re on a go with the flow basis… (No pun intended hahah)

1 Like

Well first of all you don’t use the words monthly dragon, aunt flow or red carpet. Just say it’s a period. A menstruation.

2 Likes

I love this book I found “the body image book for girls” it’s a more updated inclusive and better version of the old American girl books

I’ve told all of my children from age 6-7. Women’s bodies are made to carry babies and my body gets mad once a month when it’s not pregnant. Then I’ve slowly added details here and there, and now everyone knows my vagina bleeds monthly. Honesty is better than skirting around the issue of our bodies doing what they’re supposed to do. So there’s no fear when it happens to them, or if they come across an accidental unflushed toilet.

I got book about it at the library and we sat down and went through all the pages and cartoon pictures of the anatomy, hormonal changes, even the way to put on a maxi pad. I forgot the name of the book but it was easier than explaining on my own. She was 9 years old and she got her period at age 10.5.

At her school they teach human sexuality in 5th grade. That covered the rest of the topics that I didn’t discuss. It opened up conversation and I answered her questions honestly about pregnancy and child birth.

My son is 6 and he knows the proper terms. He knows I bleed and have my period.

1 Like

My son is 5 and he knows I bleed every month and knows that it’s called a period. He calls pads diapers🤣

1 Like

My son is an only child and I felt it was important to educate him on it. I wanted him to be aware of things girls may be going through around him so he was sensitive to their situation and be helpful as opposed to unintentionally hurtful bc he didn’t know what was happening.

Sit down with them and just talk to them about it. Maybe show pictures/ diagrams might make it easy for them to understand also.

There’s also a book called girls stuff that helps with everything :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t discuss this very personal information about your daughter with your sons. Certainly not without your daughter’s permission. I wouldn’t want to run the risk of her being embarrassed about it all. It’s fine to discuss the whole reproductive thing with them at some time. Just leave her name out of it. That’s all I wanted to say.

I just told her after she barged in on me in the bathroom and literally saw it. I told her it looks scary but it’s not, it doesn’t hurt, it’s completely normal and she’ll deal with it at a time when she’s ready which isn’t right now. She was 4 at the time and said “okay mom” and walked out lol. Now I’ve been barged in on again obviously and she just asks me if I’m on my period and then I tell her to give me some privacy after saying you bet I am.

Straight forward and to the point ! My son till this day knows how to purchase tampons pads and carries it just in case the girl he us with suddenly needs one .

Just be straight forward, my mother never had that discussion with me a pupil we had billeted with us from the city told me all a bit of a shock at the time

We never beated around the bush we were open and honest about it to our daughter and our sons they will appreciate the honesty in the long run when it came time for our girls to go through it they were prepared and accepted and delt with it well.

My 11 yr old son knows what they are and their purpose and when it happens etc just tell them straight

Well, for starters, don’t change the names of the real deal, call it for what it is, it’s a period, it’s completely natural for us ladies and it’s something we truly can’t stop or control, so just call it a period. Secondly, make it simple and teach her enough for her to understand, tell her EVERYTHING, even additional possibilities to it.

1 Like

My kids have all followed me into the bathroom since they were able to crawl. They’ve seen it all and I’ve answered every question honestly. Puberty, reproduction, etc. has been a family discussion many times. I wouldn’t make it a secretive, private discussion, because that just perpetuates the subject as being embarrassing or gross. Our kids just bounce whatever they’re thinking off each other and we address the comments or answer questions. You don’t make it a big deal, neither will they :woman_shrugging:t2:

Seriously not that hard, dont make it hard, tell them straight all the details, how to take of themselves, personal hygiene etc, also talk to your sons, they need to know as well, teach them to be supportive of any gfs or future partners, dont be embarrassed nothing to be ashamed of, and if they want more info there are books out there for teens

Schools are asking that all is explain properly with proper words so not to confuse kids penis vagina womb periods anus breasts this is helping kids now days to understand I been lucky my daughter has known as I never gid it when it happened she say why I explain best can for her age then hers started age 10 explained a little each month made sure cope with wearing placing pads in school she just had her education on how body works and babies made.
Year 5 when she shud had it and year 2 they teach my body noone touches and what body parts are.
Because if the world we live in kids learn younger and words used properly so if there hurt can explain it

1 Like

Chicken eggs… Fertilized and not fertilized.

American Girl Doll Company has a great book That we went through together.

We had ‘sex education’ classes at elementary school, mind you, that was back in the 70’s. With all the snowflakes around in this day and age, it’s probably deemed INAPPROPRIATE! :roll_eyes: The school library, or your local library will probably have childrens’ books on the anatomy also. Overall however, the mother/guardian & daughter open chat is absolutely necessary! My mother was excellent when it came to this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

Children start noticing things and asking questions. I think these conversations are important and start pretty young. They conversations become more detailed depending age appropriateness They’re also important to help clarify misinformation. One day my son came home from school (4th grade) & said one of his classmates told him that girls have a butt crack that “goes all the way around”
When my son was around 4 he noticed I didn’t have penis I told him it was because I’m a girl & I have a vagina. He said “ok” and carried on with his day.
Around 9 or 10 his cousin (female) who’s a year older than him had started puberty. He asked what puberty was & it went like this…
Me: boy puberty and girl puberty are different. When girls hit puberty their chests start to grow and they start their period (I didn’t have to explain what a period was bc he found a feminine napkin in the bathroom garbage & thought I was dying :joy:). Your voice will get deeper, you’ll get taller, and your penis will start getting hard for no reason.
Him: He gave me a mortified but inquisitive look & said "what do you mean? "
Me: I don’t know how else to say it🤷🏽‍♀️ when it gets hard you’re probably gonna want to touch it & that’s ok, it’s yours after all. When you touch it a lot some stuff come out & it’s normal
Him: That sounds like it’s gonna hurt!
Me: Nah, chances are you’re gonna like it… A LOT. :joy:

We have been open about body’s and health and all things life in our house since they could understand words. If your uncomfortable they feel that and become it. So if you’re open and free like it’s not a big deal they feel it. Then it also makes other conversations not so uncomfortable when they need to talk to you about other things

Just be honest and straight to the point its part of life.dont pussy foot around it.you will probably be surprised at how much they already know. Just don’t lie .xx

think they have a class in 5th grade ?? They had a great talk with us in my day and my Grandaughter they had a movie and also the girls made a start pack with the teacher with kotex and things they mightneed to keep in their backpack!

My kids learned it in 5th grade from the school. Kids dont need deyails or a lengthy convo. Simplicity is best.

That’s when the sex talk happened and everything and I mean everything was told to my 2 girl…

This reminds me of when my late mum sat me down to have ‘the discussion!’, first about periods, then about the birds and the bees. I didn’t like the birds and the bees part as l thought a boy putting his willy anywhere near me was gross and can remember saying ‘ewwww, if you expect me to believe that you’re very wrong!’ :rofl:

Yep. Kids can certainly deal with the truth more than we think.

The book “Girl Stuff” by Kaz Cooke

We start by calling them periods :roll_eyes: go from there.

Calling it what it is is a start. Be open and honest and factual.

Just tell her, them. My 8 year old knows, has know for about 2 years now.

Learned in girl scouts.

I would always tell the truth ,be honest and open for any questions

Just the normal way, using the proper name :woman_shrugging:t3:

Just talk. It’s better to have separate conversation so they can both freely ask questions

My mom didn’t explain it to me. My dad’s female friend had to when it happened with me. She explained why and what was happening because I thought I was bleeding to death. Just be honest and explain why.

Books. I remember at 3 my mom gave me a children’s book on anatomy/biology
Just read it all myself.

like in biology class
that is nothing special, it is part of how our body works

I’ve talked about it since they were literally old enough to listen
I bled a lot after my daughter was born so I would explain to my then 3.5 year old a minimal obviously explanation

They are teenagers now and prob know more than me but again I’ve always just talked about it but calmly not making a big deal I have a teenage son too
He’s harder to talk to

We had to google how to shave :joy:
They always knew when I was in my period etc

See the tampons in the cupboard etc

They do educate at schools too x

Sit down privately and discus … have alittle pack in hand … Containing a heat pack chocolate and some period underwear (trust me girls these days love these and are wAy easier than disposables) tell them specifics and chat … Openness is key here

Honestly and with correct terminology. Teach them the correct terms and functions of women’s bodies.

2 Likes

I was given a book at a young age which talked about my body and my reproductive system, etc. My brother was also given one about his.
It was really nice to have.

Don’t make a big deal about it. Cause it’s not. It’s natural just be straight up. All the best

Be honest. Use real words and actually describe what her body is doing. Avoid cutsey nicknames, and make sure she knows it is normal, natural, and nothing to be ashamed/embarrassed about.

American Girl makes a great book

2 Likes

Just explain the biology. No silly words, just the medical facts.

Put on a youtube video.

Kirstin Jane this is right up your alley.

far better to be honest…I can remember my mother telling me that she was not told anything and thought she was bleeding to death…When her mother came home from work…This was in the 1920s…She told her to be quiet…there were no pads in their home…They were too poor…So be honest and open with your daughters…and for heaven sake do not let your sons ever tease your daughter’s when they were having a bad day…They have no clue about how much it really disturbs them physically and also mentally.

I’ve always been very opened with my kids, I have 4 daughters who would not stay out of the bathroom with me when they were little, so I guess we’ve always had the conversation that a lot of girls get this, I say a lot of girls because I know not all do due to health reasons. My middle daughter started very young when she was 9 and was not expecting it so soon, but I started showing them how to actually use pads and all that I’d say around 8. My son is 3 and I will be teaching him. He is the only boy out of 5 kiddos, so he has 4 sisters.

1 Like

I have always had what we call open door policy my children at a young age asked me one day I said it’s my period I bleed for a couple days then stop I do that ever month.now my son is 11 and we will go to cubby and get his sister and i pads if we need them.

1 Like

Be honest and do it before she starts so she is not freaked out

just be straight forward about it. my daughter has known since she was 3-4 because she was so curious

Just had this conversation with my 8 year old after reading an article about kids are getting them as early as 8 :pensive: she is a little nervous but knows she will freak out, she can call me if I’m not there, we played through a couple scenarios at school. She has seen me in the bathroom when she was younger so I just explained it happens as our bodies as girls start developing into young ladies then women. She was kind of excited for it lol then I was like mentally oh dear girl that will not be your attitude about it when your my age :rofl:

Get this book helps explain so much easier from breast development to shaving to different types of pads and tampons there is also a 2and edition book

2 Likes

I told my daughter what it is. I explained the anatomy and purpose. My son is 6 and also aware of menstral cycles. Just dont treat it as taboo or something someone shld hide or be disgusted by. Treat it as an anatomy lesson about bodies functions.

1 Like

Just tell them. Use proper terms. Talk about it openly, like “oh I got my period today so I’m really tired” and keep that line of communication open. They’ll feel more comfortable coming to you in general, and they’ll have mor empathy towards other women.

1 Like

Tell the truth and also teach about birth control.

1 Like

You be open and honest… its part of life and when the time comes to let you know and tell your sons that some day when they have a girl in their life they may have to help their girlfriend or wife and get what they need its nothing to be embarrassed about … hell when my daughters started ( if they were in school ) my youngest called me I picked her up and we had a girls day and I welcomed her to woman hood