How does this work?

I am a step parent to a teenager and pre teen who live in a different state. I own my home and I’m the only one listed on the title. If my husbands children were to ever get in trouble say for example with causing a car accident could that affect my home or assets is say they were ever sued or something? Any tips or advice if someone’s experienced something like this. I’m just trying to protect what I’ve worked hard for.

137 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How does this work? - Mamas Uncut

In PA, it’s if they reside in your home.

I think you’re good lol

1 Like

I am sorry this is even a question in your mind!

13 Likes

I wouldn’t think so lol your the only one on the title he isn’t on there …that would be his problem or the moms if they are underage… And they cant make you do anything bc there not biologically yours

2 Likes

Oh wow! Really?? I’m glad I’m not married to
You

11 Likes

Wow … your husband and his children need to run far far away from you …

10 Likes

Wow… why isn’t your hubby on the title ??

2 Likes

Curious: do they refer to you as Mommy dearest? Cause they should start

5 Likes

No. They are not your children and ur hubby isn’t on the title so you should be fine. Also…pay no mind to the people judging you on here. They are not your bio children and it’s ok to worry about your assets. If u want a non judgy group for step parents join nacho kids. It’s amazing.

56 Likes

Your husband needs to “protect” his children and get them a new step mom :roll_eyes:. One that actually cares about his children other than “protecting what you’ve worked hard for”.

22 Likes

Wow. I never once worried about this or anything close when my husband and his 3 boys moved in with me. They are my children. They call me mom. No step BS. I hope your husband runs for the hills

11 Likes

WOW she has a right to look out for her best interest. Yalls comments are sad.Too mamy women have lost much due to a man or his children. COVER YOUR ASSets

41 Likes

This is a very valid question, you’ve worked hard for what you have and it’s okay to protect it. Don’t listen to any these other women! I do not believe you have anything to worry about since it’s in your name ! Make sure he never pays for anything major, like a kitchen Reno or other wise. No major financial contributions! Protecting your assets is SMART no selfish in anyway.

18 Likes

I think you need to put your assets into a revocable trust. Check with a lawyer.

4 Likes

I was concerned about this very thing when our son was young. Protecting your assets has nothing to do with loving your children.

12 Likes

I love my own biological children and would do anything for them, but I think it’s natural to be concerned about your assets, regardless of biology.

6 Likes

The comments on this post…. Are absurd. Mind blowing really. This is simply a legal matter and is ZERO indication of her relationship with these kids. You can love and care about your step children and also want to make sure your property is protected. Wanting to protect what you have is responsible… not unloving :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:
People will look for anything to attach themselves to and be upset about and attack people over.

22 Likes

If it was your kids would it be a question because in my opinion if you marry someone then you should accept his children and treat them as if they were your own…my son is 24 my husband raised him the last 22 years I don’t think I ever heard either one of them say “step” it is always this is my son or this is my dad, and just like a father my husband would give everything up for our son especially if he was in an “accident”

3 Likes

My boyfriend got into an accident, and his father (who we DO live with) was having a whole break down because he was worried he was going to lose his house because of someone else’s mistake. His own kid, not a step child. You have EVERY right to have concerns, and you don’t owe anyone an explanation as to why. Too many people think that once you get married you’re not allowed to be an individual at all anymore and that’s why so many people are so messed up…
I do believe that if your husband’s name isn’t on it, you should be fine, it’d be a different story if it was a shared asset. Also you mentioned they live in another state, so depending on his custody agreement for them even if his name WAS on it they may not be able to do anything to you guys about it.

14 Likes

Enter all the keyboard bullies…

4 Likes

I haven’t personally experienced what you are asking but I’d recommend speaking with a lawyer about getting a trust set up. It’s what my dad did and now I have one. It protects assests (money, home, etc).

3 Likes

I congratulate you for what you have achieved and you have every right to want to protect it. I don’t know the answer as I’m not a lawyer, but when our kids were young and driving, we added an umbrella clause to our home insurance policy. They aren’t expensive. And so many try to sue these days.

5 Likes

Girl do you who cares what these people think! Speak to a lawyer and protect what you have worked so hard for!

8 Likes

I understand where she’s coming from but I also hope it works vice versa… like he’s protecting his assets from her kids… etc…

Don’t get with anyone who has kids🤷🏻‍♀️

4 Likes

If something happened what they kids do would not affect your assets.

1 Like

Make sure you have homeowners insurance. But also, if they don’t live with you, it shouldn’t effect you.

1 Like

Depending on your state since you’re married he owns your home even if you owned it before you were married & he never pays a dime into it. I knew this woman who bought a house like 10 (?) Years before she got married. She paid for the house, utilities etc. When they divorced he fought for the house. The judge said they could sell it & spilt the money or she could pay him half the houses value. So on top of paying the mortgage, upkeep on the house, the majority of the children’s needs etc she had to make him monthly payments for the house he never contributed towards.

I have no idea what would happen if his children got in trouble. I would assume that if someone sued your husband they could go after all assets. That would include your house since you’re married.

Don’t listen to Facebook. Ask a lawyer. It may not be an answerable question since each case is different. IF anything occurs I think you should get your own lawyer sperate from his. 1 that will be acting 100% in your interest not your husband, the child or his ex.

4 Likes

It would be best to get the advice of an attorney in your state. But you probably should get a “umbrella liability insurance policy”, they are fairly inexpensive for a few million of coverage, talk to homeowners insurance company, put this as a rider to existing plan !

3 Likes

I’m sure she treats the child as her own. I think her point is so we know the child isn’t hers biologically. Smh…you ppl read too much into crap. I never seen anything stating she had bad relationship with them or how they were treated…just to protect what she has worked for…scheesh!

12 Likes

Don’t do it stay with ur home in ur name only

3 Likes

If you’re more concerned about objects than people why are you married to their dad?

“What’s mine is yours” isn’t just a saying. That’s marriage without a prenuptial.

7 Likes

In a marriage both partners are responsible for the kids. Both mom and dad have to pay for whatever their kids did. That includes you since your married to their dad.

3 Likes

IGNORE THE JUDGY PEOPLE!
You have every right to worry about your assets, and this has nothing to do with step or bio kids. You just want to know. That’s all. And that’s ok. It does NOT make you a bad person.
I’m not a lawyer, I’m not an expert, but i do work in finance and am knowledgeable enough to tell you… if he is not on your deed, you’re most likely fine. Anything purchased by you prior to marriage is usually not considered common property. (Meaning If you were to pass, the house will probably go to your next of kin (your children) and not him unless you state otherwise in your will.) I would look at my deed, my will, and my insurances, and make sure my assets are protected.
Also, your kids, his kids, the neighbors kids… it doesn’t matter who DON’T YOU EVER PUT YOUR HOME UP FOR COLLATERAL. EVER.

16 Likes

Yeah…don’t go taking fb word for it. Consult legal aid if you can’t afford to consult your own lawyer :slight_smile: better safe than sorry by trusting fb lawyers lol

2 Likes

If you have the homestead act on your house it protects you from all law suits

1 Like

So your more worried about your home than the children… do you even want the children? I understand protecting your home you worked for, but maybe this should have been a thought before you became a step parent… focus more on bonding with them than materialistic things, girl you can always find different shelter but you can’t replace people!

10 Likes

Good questions but you need to ask an attorney.

1 Like

I will get a consultation with a lawyer to know 100%. In some places when you die your next of kin is your husband. So I will definitely go to a lawyer I mean most of them will talk to you for free up to an hour and they can give you the best advice.

1 Like

I would have a consultation with an attorney. From my knowledge since you are indeed married you are also responsible.

1 Like

Wow. Clearly some of this people of never lived in a blended family. I recommend this group from now one. No judgment here. Nacho Kids: The Blended Family Lifesaver

4 Likes

I think your smart to look into this. Check with a local attorney.

2 Likes

I love how the women in this group attack step-parents :laughing: she didn’t say she didn’t love them or anything, she’s asking a question. Hell, I’d like to know this same thing with my OWN kids! My advice: screw what half these comments say and talk to an attorney.

32 Likes

Half of these people talking poo are the people that make being a stepparent a living hell anyway. Consult an attorney.

8 Likes

Talk to an attorney.

No unless you put it up as collateral for say a bind or something as long as their name isn’t on it, it wouldn’t be affected

3 Likes

If the vehicle is titled in your name, you could be liable or your husband.

1 Like

Why would it, they are not your children!

1 Like

No. Only he and the mother are responsible for the children. His name is not attached to it so it’s not “his”. The wife’s assets, income, property can’t be seized for children that are not hers.

1 Like

I believe if you attained said house before you where with your current husband you are good. Either way you would be fine because it would be up to the mother in the state they live with her in. They don’t currently reside with you so you would not get beaned for anything. Now if your husband has assets they could go for that tho because they are biologically his children

It depends on the state.
You need a lawyer to answer you.

2 Likes

As long as his name isn’t on it then you shouldn’t have to worry

Not unless you’re signing for his stuff or putting your stuff as collateral and if you’re so concerned about it you should have gotten a prenup before you married the father

2 Likes

Depends on the state in which you live… some states view marital property as equally owned regardless whose name is primary UNLESS you have a prenuptial agreement.

1 Like

This has #parenting on it it should read #clueless

3 Likes

If the car is in your name, yes. they can go after you.

2 Likes

Whatever is in your name only, would be protected. Anything with both of your names could be jeopardized.

1 Like

Depends if you live in a state where property and bills are considered part of the marriage. If your husband paid for improvements or upkeep on the home, it could automatically transfer to him. Check with an estate planner and a lawyer to determine how assets are to be divided.

1 Like

Contact an attorney, don’t ask for advice on Facebook!

16 Likes

If will all depend on your state laws concerning marital property. If the home was acquired before marriage in many states it isn’t considered marital property. So many variables here because state laws differ greatly. With that said your husband can be held liable for his children’s actions so any asset shown to be attached to him is at risk. I would be sure you have ample liability limits on vehicles etc. I’d also look into a PLUP for additional coverage.

No. But why ask here, ask a lawyer.

These comments never seem to amaze me :sob::sob: what happened to if you don’t have something nice to say don’t say anything at all :rofl:

10 Likes

Different states have different laws

Go to a lawyer in your area. Ask for free consult. Best 3o minutes of your life.
Good luck much love

You can sign a post nup probably, this will protect your assets for example if someone owed money after death, the bank couldn’t go after you.

For everyone that is chastising the poster, what she is asking is a perfectly valid question. As a responsible adult, you must take the required steps to protect your assets. I’m assuming, since she asked this question that these teens are undisciplined and unruly. One of my stepchildren caused a lot of financial distress for me. They lived about a hundred miles away from our home. Long story short, her mother was having difficulty and wanted my husband to bring her to live with us in hopes that he could get her back on track. She was around 14. In balancing my bank statement, I realized that I hadn’t received a phone bill in months. I called the phone company and was told that my bill was just under $3000. That is a high bill even now, but was astronomical in the mid 80’s. I was told that if I didn’t pay it they were going to turn my phone off. I was livid! I had to borrow money to pay the bill. When I got home, I went through her room and found the bills torn apart in her closet. She also ended costing us money in other ways, as well. The phone bill just happened to be the largest amount. She had accrued a large long distance bill at her moms house, also, which is one of the reasons her mother sent her to live with us. It would have been helpful if her mother had forewarned us about it! Don’t judge others for trying to protect what they worked hard to amass. It certainly doesn’t make her a bad human for doing so.

31 Likes

Depends on where you are from but here add what the call homestead insurance to you homeowner protection plan property insurance this will keep anyone from suing you or tryi g to take your house it’s homestead insurance

I always say never get married if they love you then they won’t need a paper to declare that love. Yes it can happen depending on what state you live in. God knows what is mine is mine and how hard we work to have the things we want so I’d go back to a lawyer to get that situated, for just in case.

2 Likes

Did you adopt them? Ask an attorney

1 Like

Make a sole proprietorship for some random business name… then transfer the deed into the name of the business :relaxed:

3 Likes

I’m a title abstractor and have worked in insurance. While everything is different from state to state (and I would absolutely recommend paying a couple hundred bucks to verify this with an attorney) - I would say you could possibly be held liable since you are married to their Dad, and typically assets are 50/50 no matter whose name they are in. (Again, this is TYPICALLY.) As such, liability could very well come back onto your assets. What I would recommend doing is finding a local, seasoned agent (don’t go with an online agent where you call in and get someone different every time and who knows just enough to have passed their state licensing exam). Tell them your situation and ask for what is called an umbrella policy. My parents have one for $2 million, and it is actually quite affordable. It’s called an umbrella policy because it covers all of your assets for liability up to the stated amount. You don’t have to get $2 million. You can adjust that up or down. But remember - this is for liability. Not for replacing or repairing anything. So even if you do not have $2 million worth of assets, this will protect you up to $2 million in liability amounts. (Or whatever amount you would choose for an umbrella policy.)

10 Likes

Probably depends on the state law you live in.

1 Like

If they were your bio children you wouldn’t be worried about this. You shouldn’t be with someone who has kids since you don’t think of them as your own.

7 Likes

Lmfao you need to ask a lawyer not fb… seriously?? Do you even care about HIS kids or nah?

4 Likes

Back in 1961 my dad caused injury to another in an accident. He passed and my mom was being sued. That person couldn’t take her home because she had it homesteaded. Her name was not on the car as she didn’t drive. I don’t think anything came of the lawsuit. That was in California and the accident was in Mexico. Best to find a good lawyer before it becomes a reality.

2 Likes

It depends on your state law. It also depends on if they are with you or their mom

Wow your a great step parent I bet those kids feel so much love from you.

16 Likes

Depends on state. Assets are typically 50/50 in married couples. Look into umbrella policy with your insurance company or like the above comment says , make a sole proprietorship under random business name and transfer deed to name of business.

If the answer is yes are you planning divorce?
Like what is the point of this post?

3 Likes

Are they YOUR direct offspring ?? Then, nope.

Your home was bought before the marriage so that shouldn’t effect you. However you can sign a prenup. It’s also different in every state. But there is always loop holes.

3 Likes

his name isn’t on the assets your stuff should be fine… separate bank accounts too…

4 Likes

I’m confused. Are you just concerned because they are your step-kids. Dang, your partner could kill someone in a car accident too and you could be sued. Are you as concerned with that or is it just the kid thing?

6 Likes

I cannot believe how many RUDE keyboard warriors are on this page

I sold insurance I always said to get an umbrella policy

1 Like

No there not your biological children

2 Likes

No as they are only your step kids and are living in another state and not under your care
God forbid they have issues that causes them to be financially liable
The injured parties can’t sue your estate but instead sue the the one at fault
I’m not sure how it works in the states
But here in Australia we have
Probate court
If people die leaving a will and has a substantial estate
All funds will be kept in probate for a certain amount of time
To give people enough time to claim any debts owed by the deceased (rates , utilities, bank loans)
They will be paid first
Then the will can be read
I would look at drawing up a will and a point an exuctar of your will
That way your wishes have to be recognized

3 Likes

I would look into state laws. In California a married couple can have separate assets. My dad has 5 cars in his name and if someone sued my mom they couldn’t touch his cars. They can even separate there income so a greedy ex can’t go after the new wife/husband’s income for child support.

2 Likes

This is a great question! I myself was step-parent to two children whose mom refused to pay several things she was paying before he remarried me so I found myself signing for financial responsibility for children I had no legal say over to ensure they continued receiving the education they were entitled to before I came along. We do what we have to do for the good of the children, but still have to make sure we are aware of legal ramifications. There is absolutely nothing wrong with protecting your retirement and assets; this is extremely relevant in a sue-happy world. The company I represent often has free legal days where you can ask a question such as this. I’ll be back and update when I’m able to find the next legal question day. Without looking beyond a couple replies I can see some volatile comments. Do not be discouraged. I myself do not take your question as a negative. It is important to maintain your lifestyle whether things work out or not; and most importantly to be able to provide for all members in your life and ensuring your assets are safe is part of fiscal responsibility. Understanding your state’s stance on premarital property is of a huge importance in any marriage, but also when it comes to civil cases involving minors in and not in common. If you feel comfortable messaging me your state or letting an admin know to update your state I’ll know which law firm to check with for the appropriate date.

25 Likes

Go for a consiltation with a lawyer it doesn’t cost that much fora conseltation only you don’t have to hire her just find out your rights

So you’re not worried about them getting hurt…just your house :thinking:

8 Likes

It depends who signs for their license and car insurance

Meanwhile the comment section…

4 Likes

I was always told and tell everyone around that will listen… if you don’t ask you don’t know…

6 Likes

Why does a simple question make all the crazies come out. Seriously??

25 Likes

Contact an attorney and they can tell you what you can and cannot be held liable for. They are your source of knowledge for something like this.

4 Likes

You don’t need kids :joy: let that man go.

2 Likes

If they are driving your car, sure they can hold you responsible. If they just live with you, no.