How have you restricted time outs?

My daughter is 3 and doesn’t listen to when asked to time out? How did you guys do it?
21 Likes

I’m not really sure what you’re asking, but I’ll assume you are wanting to know how to put your daughter in a “time out” when she’s acting up. The rule of time outs is one minute for each year your child is (i.e. 3 year old = 3 minutes).

However, you could try a different approach and do a “time IN”. You apply the same rule as above; only this technique involves you holding her in your lap, rocking her, while wrapping your arms around her, and discussing with her why she is in a “time IN”. This gives both of you the opportunity to communicate with one another, and gives the child a chance to begin rationalizing her bad behavior, while you are teaching her more positive coping skills.

I hope this helps.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How have you restricted time outs? - Mamas Uncut

Stay consistent and keep doing what you’re doing.

Asked to time out??? You are the adult, you just put her in time out!

3 Likes

Absolutely I do! And I stay consistent… Ur the parent not the child. It gets hard at first but if u follow through it gets easier for sure…

2 Likes

A whole lot of patience LOL

2 Likes

My sister in law tells her son he’s gonna get a booty pop and he listens he does what he’s told or stops doing what he’s doing. Maybe a booty pop I’m not saying beat your child but a pop on the booty might make her listen idk everyone’s different when it comes to their kids🤷🏻‍♀️

3 Likes

I’ve started staying if I get the 3 I’m gonna spank your butt I don’t get past one usually my boy is 4.

General rule , when they are younger 1 min of timeout for how old they are… 3 yrs old , 3 min timeout… after that they tend to forget why they are in trouble in the first place, even if you have to sit with them, and remember to explain WHY they are in time out … you can even get a little buzzer and let them know when it dings they are out of time out …

1 Like

If your child ignores you, you start ignoring her. She will need you or have a request or demand and you ignore it. When she makes the request again a second time maybe even a third time then you calmly and patiently remind her that you made a request from her and she wasn’t being respectful or cooperative and UNTIL she shows you that you won’t be helping her or giving her whatever it is she needs. She will learn it’s a two way street. She needs to use manners and her good choices or she doesn’t get what she wants.

6 Likes

We do quiet time. Where she needs to mellow out. For time outs, she sits on the stairs for a few minutes so she can settle and rethink. Then she does well.

3 Likes

Why are you asking to time out? You are the parent. If your gonna do the time out thing then do it… Get the chair, put it in the corner , put them in the chair and stand there if you have to to make sure they stay in it. Set a timer if you have to… 3yo…5-10 minutes at most, turn off anything around that would distract (tv). Personally I never bought into the time out thing (I’m old and old school) but my kids did so we tried that for a while.

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily recommend this method. (I’ve switched my methods) as I’ve seen what long term it does to a child— Lower self esteem and confidence but if it’s your method, that’s up to you. I did it with my first and it was effective. Every time they try to leave their time out, put them straight back, repeat this til they finally realize there’s no option but to take the time out. (Time outs are based on age, so once she has stopped resisting the time out. Start her timer for 3 minutes) Do not give in… also used the magic 1, 2, 3. Time out came on three no matter what. Eventually they will know you aren’t messing around and by 2 will stop whatever you asked them to initially stop doing in the first place. Also, I always always had a talk with her after time out and we gave hugs. “Do you know why you were in time out?” “What can we do next time to prevent having another time out?” “I love you and thank you for taking your time out. Do you want to talk about why you felt the need to act out?” She was also well mannered. Anyway, I don’t entirely recommend it, as stated above… I noticed she was very timid and obedient to all higher authorities which can be scary when they don’t feel they can voice their feelings/emotions to someone of “higher” authority. Can lead to being scared of confessing things to you, out of fear of getting in trouble and/or lead to an easy SA victim…

6 Likes

In a sense I do time out but I only tell my son to go to his room. Right now I still let him play. The biggest thing is allowing him a few minutes to decompress those big emotions. After a few minutes he will come out by himself. When he comes out we talk about what happened.

5 Likes

No time outs :woman_shrugging:t2: calm down time then we talk

5 Likes

U move u get another and keep redirecting her.by putting her back in the coner. Don’t repeat yourself more than 2 twice when time out is done make her tell u why she was in trouble then tell her u love her. Be consistent.

1 Like

Honestly I never ever did that to my daughter. Personally I don’t believe in that. It’s so more important to talk to the kids and figure out why they do things we adults don’t like

8 Likes

Redirect and connect. They don’t understand it at that age

6 Likes

If they cannot do alone I helped them… sat and held them. I used words, not big enough…

They do time in these days not time outs.

Ughhh…3 was the toughest age!! :pensive:

1 Like

1 minute per year of age, if they keep getting out keep placing them back, the first time they do it, tell them “you are in timeout and must stay here til your time is up” after that don’t say anything else to them and keep placing them back until they get through they’re time, also stay in the same room but don’t make eye contact just watch out your peripheral. Eventually they will stay still

At that age…you’re kinda in time out too. You have to put her back and keep putting her back.

You need to pre warm her if her behaviour keeps up then she will go on time out

Time outs have always been a joke to all my kids so I found other things that worked

2 Likes

Show her the timer if she gets up add another minute both my boys hated it but they did not like adding another minute

1 Like

You don’t “ask” her.
You give her a warning.
When she does the thing again you tell her “you did (thing) after you were told no. Now you have a time out”
Then you take her to the designated time out spot.
Set a timer for 3 minutes.
When she gets up…pause the timer and silently move her back.
You may have to do this repeatedly but after a while she’ll get it.

3 Likes

I’m a very old school mum. My kids got asked to stop and told why. They got a second warning . Then they got the old fashioned , now frowned upon discipline.
They soon learned the consequences of their actions.
As they got older , 7/8 yo.
. I sent them to their room…youre my son/daughter and I love you but right now you’re behaviour is making it hard to like you. Go to your room and come out when you’re ready to behave in a reasonable manner.
We always talked. We always hugged. They were always allowed their opinions and I listened . They have the right to be heard and most times you can work stuff out just by communicating .

13 Likes

I got a timeout mat and it came w it’s a timer….the first few times I had to sit with her but know she knows when I say timeout it’s on the mat…unless it’s a tantrum then she is sent to her room till the tantrum is over

You won’t like my answer but it works

2 Likes

Some of these comments! :woman_facepalming:t2:

At that age, they don’t have an understanding why they need to stay in a certain spot. It’s going to confuse them and make you upset. You need to talk to the 3 year old. First validate feelings, then explain why whatever they did is wrong, and tell them what you can do differently.

Example: 3 year old threw a toy at you. First validate the feelings. 'Its okay to feel mad. Then explain why it’s wrong: you can hurt someone or break something. What can we do differently next time we feel mad? Then give one or two suggestions like ’ If we feel mad about a toy not working, we bring it to mama to fix it or we find a different toy we like!

4 Likes

So my three-year-old has a very cute timeout chair. So she knows where her time out spot is. Sometimes if she’s in a temper tantrum she doesn’t listen to me and will not not do what I have asked. I gently put her on her chair and remind her of what she did to be there. I do 1 minute per year. She just turned 3 (Christmas eve) so I still do 2 minutes.

You don’t ask for them to take a time out.
You put them in a time out. 1 minute per age.
If they move or get up, it starts over.
You’ve gotta stay persistent, or else you’re gonna have a child who thinks you’re not serious.

2 Likes

Um Destiny Danielle, 3 year olds definitely understand standing in one place and why. They are not dumb. My 3 yr old(literally 3 for a month so barely 3) understands that and much more. But i dont have to do it as often with her as i do my 6yr old daughter. Because the 6 yr old has the attitude. The 3 yr old does not. I warn her, i follow through, she does her time and tells me when shes done(timer goes off or if i tell her she has to sit til she gathers herself from an outburst so she can calmly get over it without external stimulation adding to her) and we move on. I tell her thank you for staying and i treat her like she has a brain. Saying they can’t understand something only gives you and out for not trying to talk to them as if they do understand. You don’t magically hit an age where your brain turns on. Its always on and always learning. So help them learn. You can’t penalize them if you haven’t also given any time to teaching them anything, like right from wrong. How do you expect them to learn what time out is if you didn’t teach them how you would with anything else? In steps.

5 Likes

Spankings never hurt me or my sister’s! It showed us consequences!

4 Likes

I’m always reluctant on sharing my parenting advice because people will have an opinion either way. My 3 year old STAYS in time out. I don’t have to spank her but I do raise my voice and she will go right to time out. I usually have her sit on her tiny trampoline or comfy spot. And I keep reminding her time is almost up. I explain what’s she’s done wrong which usually makes her cry because she gets upset with herself. I tell her to calm down and when she’s done fussing and settles down that time out will be done. Works everytime.

1 Like

To start, you don’t ask, you tell.

5 Likes

If my kids don’t listen, I resort to a spanking. It usually never gets to that point, but it works. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Get a timer and reset it Everytime she stops being in time out. Show her the timer Everytime you restart it.

Be consistent. A time out can be anywhere in any room. The ‘why’ and the ‘what for’ is most important. You are the parent they are the children it’s up to you to guide what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour.

I my youngest happy little butt, nose first in the corner. Her time didn’t start til she was quiet… If she was crying & having a tantrum, talking, screaming, etc… time didn’t start til she was quiet & if she started looking around, etc… it would restart.
Then again, she knows I don’t have that kind of patients & will snatch her ass out the frame if need be. She’s seen her 16 year old sister (my girls are literally 10y 4m apart) get tore up from the floor up quite a few times & I think she’s learned from that too

Time outs are a punishment procedure. The point of a time out (punishment in general) is to decrease undesired behaviour.

If the time outs are not working and she isn’t listening and it’s not decreasing the behaviour you don’t like. Try a different approach because this one isn’t working.

1 Like

Never did a time out just a tap on the butt. Now he’s almost 7 and can’t remember the last time he got in trouble to the point he needed a whooping. We communicate alot as well.

That’s when you give them a “times up” and smack that a$$!

I don’t honestly. My daughters 2.5. I talk to her about her behavior and i know some of it sinks in because she gets the guilty shame look and try to correct it. Yes this means repeating it a bunch but her brain is still taking everything in and they test boundaries.

If never done time outs with my kids. I’ve used talking and teaching them the rights from wrong and explaining the problem of their behaviour. Typically timeouts are a break more for the parent than the kid. Modelling the behavior you want to see helps too. They won’t learn from standing in a corner. You could ask them to go to their room and take a break. Often it’s because they don’t understand, are learning something new or the expectation is too high… repetition of teaching them the expectations will help them understand. Reinforce their good behavior not their unwanted. Often their unwanted behavior is for attention, if you give it you are reinforcing their unwanted behavior and they will continue. Explain and then ignore the unwanted behavior everytime they do it and reinforce the wanted behavior by thanking, celebrating with something wanted etc

2 Likes

I sit him in the spot, and say if I need to I will sit with you. But, we need to calm down because mommy is getting upset and you need a break for a few minutes.

I don’t do time outs or spankings. We do wall sits sit ups planks ect

2 Likes

Time in…we sit together and you have my full attention until you calm and we can talk about the problem.

4 Likes

I don’t bother because they don’t work. Instead we do time ins where she has to sit down with me and breathe, use her popper toy, and try to talk about her behavior and what consequences it will have.

2 Likes

You don’t ask a child lmao stick em in time out n keep putting em back if they get up

5 Likes

We just do breaks in our rooms they can play with toys they just can’t leave until they’re ready to talk

I don’t do time outs. They are not developmentally appropriate. What are you trying to teach your child with a time out?

3 Likes

I put one in their rooms with an egg timer outside.
If time outs don’t work, your can find another way. Every child is different. Time outs worked with one of mine, not with the others. Find what “hurts” & gets through: do that.

2 Likes

I put her in her bedroom and let her cry it out or throw her fit until she’s done

When they’re wrong, it’s our job to teach them that.

Spankings. My daughter was like that so I would spank her butt when she didn’t want to go into timeout while acting up. Shes 6 now and usually gets a choice between timeout or a spanking but at 3 that was the only way to get her to stand there and behave.

The amount of parents against a simple time out baffles me. Spank your kids ass and put them in timeout like a parent. You are not their friend. I’m so tired of seeing sensitive parents who refuse to disapline.

Follow through. If you give her a warning and she continues the behavior, put her in time out for 3 minutes. Every time she gets out the timer starts over. She’ll catch on if you stick to your guns.

1 Like

Man…i was raised old school. My kid is either gonna take a nap or get a whooping depending on what they’re doing.

8 Likes

You never ask a child to go to time out. You Make them do time. :joy::woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

Never did. Those are useless and teach them nothing.

1 Like

My daughter’s teacher said for the both of us to do it together, so, I will accompany her. Sometimes I count for two minutes out loud and we’ll breathe together. I’ve heard conflicted things on time outs; some say they work, others say they dont address the problem. At least when shes in time out, shes calmer, and that is what I’m trying to do, calm her.

Ill take my 3 year old where we can be alone sit her down and talk to her, tell her why we can’t do what she did… I’ll tell her when she’s ready to come find me… with in a min she’s good. My daughter is 3. Something’s you have to try different things to see what works for them. No kid is the same.

Time outs is what has lead this country into the predicament with current generations

2 Likes

You’re the parent, she is the child. You enforce it. At that age, she should have a 3 minute time out. That means sitting on a chair or standing in a corner for 3 minutes. If she refuses, you take 3 minutes out of your time and stand there with her. If she leaves the chair/corner, her time starts over. Also, at that age, you need to get down on her level, speak to her like she is a little human being (don’t scream and yell) and clearly explain to her what she has done and why it’s wrong.

1 Like

Keep placing them in time out reminding them it will be longer if they don’t stay then when they’re out we talk about why they were placed there and how to handle whatever situation better next time

Try time-ins instead. They are far more effective than time outs.

And please don’t spank like so many on here like to suggest. It’s linked with many negative psychological outcomes.

She is 3, redirection and positive reinforcement is how to discipline. You want to teach her about her actions not send her away.

We try to do redirection with our toddlers and teach them why it’s not appropriate behavior or doings. If that fails to where they throw tantrums so bad we can’t console them bc they are figuring out emotions we tell them we understand their frustration or that they are upset etc, but if they cannot talk to us right now we ask them to go their rooms and come talk to us after they have calmed down enough to explain why they are upset, how we can fix it and what we can do instead or next time the issue occurs again. Sadly she is a toddler and is just figuring out her boundaries and emotions much like us adults still do. Just constant reinforcement and follow throughs. There are many ways to discipline. You just have to find the way that she learns better and responds better to. Good luck! You’re doing great already.

You don’t ask, you DO! Sit or stand her in a corner with her nose in the corner her time is 1 minute per year of age, if she doesn’t listen increase the time by a minute and take away a toy. If she does it again the same day or following day keep that same plan. Once she realizes it’s not doing her any good and you’re NOT going to give in she may start being more respectful and listen to you. Or you could just swat her on the butt and have her stand in the corner.

I think “time outs” are more like “calm down and gather yourself for a minute”, especially at that age. It can help to try to make her a little “calm corner” with maybe a little soft chair or bean bag, some books, coloring supplies, a soothing stuffed animal, doll, or blanket, maybe some soft music, a sound machine, a pretty light projector, etc., where she can take a few deep breaths and try to relax, rather than feeling like she’s being punished, or getting a consequence. You can ask if she wants hugs or snuggles, or prefers not to be touched, bring a cup of milk, or water, if she wants one, and offer to read her a story, or see if she wants to flip through the pictures on her own, or draw what she’s feeling and what’s making her sad. It is more like redirection and distraction than it is about being in trouble :heart:

4 Likes

A professional told me to sit him down, explain why is there and make him stay there for 3 min. And I could give him a toy that requires quiet play. In 3 min he can get up to continue playing.

1 Like

Highly recommend watching supernanny videos

1 Like

I found timeouts didn’t work. Ignoring them completely saying I didn’t want to talk to them because they made me sad had an amazing effect though. You need to find what works for you but I found praise and giving time/love for good behaviour whilst ignoring them for poor behaviour was the only thing that worked for me. Do explain what they’ve done wrong and go down to their height but act disappointed and sad.

3 Likes

My oldest daughter used to fight! It was insane. I basically resorted to putting her in her room & holding the door shut until she calmed down. This was not fun!
But my 2nd daughter was the opposite. She would often put herself in the corner & cry. :joy:

Escort her to time out if she won’t go on her own … then if she gets out of time out , put her back

Time outs are updated and proven to be useless… Also she’s just 3! :joy:

If my 3 year old refuses to listen she gets a spanking and then she goes to time out.

2 Likes