How is it transitioning from 1 kid to 2?

I just found out I’m pregnant with our second little one. Our first is 16 months old & I’m so nervous about how we’ll handle 2 little ones so close in age, especially as the oldest is so dependent on me right now. I’m still currently breastfeeding and cosleeping. Any other mamas that went through the same thing? How hard was the transition from 1 to 2?

4 Likes

From one to two was the hardest. Now I have 6 :crazy_face: but only 4 under our roof.

Just plan ahead. Allow yourself extra time and set a schedule.0

1 Like

Well, just about everyone does it, so… :joy:

2 Likes

Mine are 17 months apart. Just find a schedule that works for you and always included your oldest in everything that way they dont feel left out or replaced by the new baby

Mine oldest two are 15 months apart. I freaked out and when my 2nd was born it was like we never were without her. It comes so naturally. Have faith mama :heart:

1 Like

Mine are just under 2 years apart. It’s pretty easy at first. But once they can play with each other and raise hell, :sweat_smile: game on. I should also note I have 2 boys. They’re just nuts. The first 8 months with my second were fine, then he got to walking and they haven’t stopped being crazy yet.

My oldest was just under 2 when my middle was born and he was so great about it. He absolutely adored his baby brother the second he saw him and he always wanted to help and keep “his baby” happy and safe. Same with when my middle met my youngest.
Now they just fight all the time and drive me crazy but the transition is easy, it’s when they get used to each other that it starts to get harder.

2 Likes

My boys are 15 mos apart. It was definitely an adjustment but I wouldn’t have it any other way! It will take time to find a routine that works for y’all but you can do it! :heart:

My daughter turned one a month before I had my son it was actually easier them being close in age they have always been close still to this day

Transitioning from 2 to 3 was harder for me than 1 to 2.

3 Likes

At the beginning was hard but later we get used to it. You’ll b fine in no time! :yellow_heart:

It’s fine and best thing ever. Mine are 13 months apart and best friends.

Stop breast feeding and cosleeping

5 Likes

1 to 2 was fine. 2 to 3 sucked a big one!!

1 Like

Mine are 8 years apart and it’s been SUPER hard. I think it would have been easier if they had been closer in age. Congrats!

Mine are 19 and 20 now, but they are only 14 months apart. There were definitely challenges, but I wouldn’t change it for the world! I felt 2 was easier than 1 especially once they got a little older and could entertain each other. My 3rd will be 3 in a couple weeks (16 year gap) so I’ve experienced the 2 close in age and 1 basically an only child. I’m 43, a single mom and exhausted! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My girls are 2 years apart! Their like 2 peas in a pod :slightly_smiling_face:

I found out I was pregnant with my son when my daughter was only 8 months old ! They are 14 months apart . It was hard going from 1 to 2 so close in age and also with our son comming at 30 weeks an having a nicu stay it was challenging. But you will get it momma . They do everything together and have such a sweet bond. They also fight non stop with being so close in age :rofl: you will adapt . Double the love , double the work . I wouldn’t have it any other way . Love seeing them grow & strive together.

I have a 14, 4 and 3 yo going from 2 to 3 was a little bit of a challenge but not impossible :slightly_smiling_face: trust me it’ll quickly become your new normal so don’t worry you got this and everything will be fine :muscle:t4:

I have 2 close in age. Wasn’t bad at all till the second started walking. Then it was chaos. Lmao.

My two are almost exactly two years apart . (2&4 y.o) it is not easy thats for sure. When I had just my son it was honestly easy peasy, still did everything I used to, my body bounced back, I had thick locks of hair and he was easy to manage. But when my daughter came omggg it all went downhill. Still can’t get my hot bod back , im basically bald. The kids fight at least 100 times a day and I get zero and I mean ZERO alone time. I love them tho

You will be fine. I suggest stop breast feeding bc it’s could cause problems with ur pregnancy but the co sleeping I would also stop or start trying to bc once baby is here isn’t gonna get really hard while co sleeping

2 Likes

My daughters are 11 months apart, I’m a single mom and I maybe have had two meltdowns and my second is 9 weeks old. I though the transition was going to be harder to be honest

It was fine and tandem nursing meant we all were able to sleep for nap time. My Ergo helped keep youngest safe and my hands could hold toddler’s hand for walking.

My boys are 20 months to the day apart… For me it wasn’t that hard at all… Of course my first son was an amazing baby and toddler… He had me fooled… My second son was and still is a handful and he’s 15 lol… Just find a routine that works best for you and you’ll get the hang of it… Good luck mama…

My daughter was three months away from being five when I had my other girl. She was jealous at first and didn’t want to be around us much, but now four months later she loves her so much and is very attached and helps a lot with her. It was Definitely a little frustrating and hard at the beginning but now it’s so much better and I love seeing the bond they have already :heart:

Getting out the door was a lot harder after number two. Plan ahead and aim to be early to be on time. Mine are 5 years apart. It was rough the first few weeks with her getting used to less personal attention. We just try to purposely set aside time for her on her own so she remembers she’s important

My girls are 15 months apart. I was so nervous how I was going to handle both and honestly it is a lot easier than I thought! We adjusted quickly! We cosleep with both as well. There was some jealousy at first and my oldest was mad at me for about two weeks…now my youngest is 4 months and her sister loves her so much and can’t get enough hugs and kisses. Good luck and congrats mama! You’ll adjust in no time!

I have transitioned to 7 lol

My girls are 2 1/2 years apart. It was honestly a pretty rough transition mostly because my oldest is such a mamas girl and sharing me was tough for her. Finding a new routine because the old one will never work again. It’s especially hard when you live like a single parent with no help (their father, my now ex, was never home). Once you find your groove it gets easier.

My youngest is 14 months now and I struggle more emotionally right now because I feel like my oldest gets the short end of the stick since the baby takes so much work. I miss “us” time. So if you have the help definitely set aside time for you and your oldest only… regularly.

1 Like

I have 6 kiddos and to be honest the hardest adjustment was going from 2 to 3…officially being outnumbered…

My 2 oldest r 5 years apart it was only easy for me Because one was in school and I could take care of the baby. But going from 3 to 4 when my son was born my youngest was 8 she was the baby for 8 years now she had to compete there was definitely some resentment. 2 years later she is fine lolololol

It’s pretty rough, I had to come home while in early labour to put my 2 yo to sleep because she was beside herself :frowning: she’s two months old now and I’m finding it really hard to get her into a routine because my toddler is very loud

God I feel this so much, I’m 2 and a half almost 3 months pregnant and my son is almost 17months, I’m due may 10th and hsi birthday so may 23rd… I feel this so much and I’m scared

My oldest daughter was 22 months old when the little one was born and we were having trouble getting her to use a sippy cup instead of her bottle (both babies were bottle fed because I couldn’t produce a lot of milk) and anyway! One day she (oldest) confused the bottles and took a big sip of formula and never again did she touch a bottle.

I think as long as you teach them that they’re siblings or because kids love friends introduce them from very early on.

Just relax and take it one day at a time. I such thing a a perfect way. You will be fine, it will come natural. I e always wanted my kids this close I have 3. They are 6 and 9 yrs apart😊

My girls are 22 months apart and it was simple. My boys are 13 months apart, youngest was 2 months early…they’re a whole new ballgame lol. The hardest part with them is they go through phases such as non stop hitting at the same time and it’s stressful but they’re all very close to their closest in age sibling. My oldest was the most jealous when she was not even 2 and there was a new baby

Right before my daughters 2nd birthday I had my second daughter (03/2020). The most difficult part for us was when we brought our second daughter home. Our first daughter always slept in her own bed right next to ours. But when she seen the new baby sleeping in our bed she absolutely lost it. Started screaming, kicking, holding her breath. But honestly that first night the baby was home, that was the first and last night my oldest daughter did that. We did our best every night after that to let our oldest help with the baby whenever we had to do something for her. And it got better, it got easier my oldest got used to her

Best to do it now! The children will be very close and play well together.And you still probably saved alot of baby items! Atleast the big stuff.It was easier for me the second time around! You know what to expect more than with your first born. Congratulations!

Currently have a 3 1/2 year old 1 1/2 year old and a newborn. I would try to get baby #1 in their own crib and develop a routine. If I can do it, you can do it mama!!

1 Like

It’s not as bad as ppl tell you. Keep life simple. Find a routine that works for you ASAP.

It was pretty easy honestly. My kids are 16 months apart. They were on the same schedule so it was pretty easy and my kids love to sleep and eat. I love them to pieces and wouldnt change it for anything but now they are 7 and 8 and im a single mom and dear lord somedays lol

1 Like

tbh, it’s rough. for me at least. and my 1st born is so easy.

My first was 131/2 Months old when I had my Second. My Third one came 3 Day before that Baby’s first Birthday. It was rough and no Family close by but we survived

Well now is a good time to try to get #1 into their own bed or crib etc. I never understood the cosleeping thing but doing it with 2 sounds like torture.
Try to help #1 become more independent. Yes I know he is 16 months I am not asking you to kick him out of the house just a little independence. Remember you are still someone’s partner (spouse lover GF) and you are still YOU. Dont loose yourself in the kids still make time for your man and yourself. Hire that sitter drop them off at grandmas and run away for the evening (or longer)

1 Like

Single mom here. I did it all on my own and barely slept but I survived it.

1 Like

I think going from 2 to 3 was hard but 1-2 wasn’t very bad. I guess it just depends on how each family member adapts.

My son turns 4 this month on the 16th. My daughter turned 2 April 28th and I’m currently 33 weeks pregnant with baby about to arrive at any moment, the shirts they make for kids saying “I’m the reason we’re late” is nooooo joke :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My kids are further apart in age but I would suggest if you are bed sharing that you stop doing that and just start room sharing(cosleeping). That will make it easier when the new little arrives. Start making a routine for your older child. It was harder for me to transition from 2 to 3 that from 1 to 2 kids. When getting ready to go any place outside the home give your self 30 minutes or so to get ready this makes life so much easier than trying to rush out the door. I alway keep my baby carrier in the car. I baby wear so that might make it easier to handle both kids at the store.

My kids are 11 months apart and I love it! You have to teach them early on to be independent and a little more prepared and organized. They are 10 and 11 now and they are best friends