How long does it take for birth control to work

I just started the pill and want to make sure there are no ‘mistakes’. does anyone know how long it takes to kick in?

2 Likes

It should tell you on the paperwork that comes with it. They are all different.

5 Likes

Depends on the pill. Read the paper insert very carefully. Mine said that it wasn’t effective for a week once started, and if you missed a dose or took it more than 3 hours after you’re supposed to, it’s ineffective for I think 72 hours

I would definitely give it 30 days just to be on the safe side and remember certain medications can render your birth control useless such as antibiotics

4 Likes

Most birth control recommendations are 7 days. Consult your doctor who prescribed the birth control and the info pamphlet for the birth control to be sure.

1 Like

I mean I never took the pill but i had the IUD when I was 16 and I got pregnant and then I had the implant in my arm at 20 and i just had my second baby… So I meannnn dose that shit even work lol

Defo a month I know someone who took the pill thought it worked straight away and didn’t know they was pregnant until 4 months

You have to also take it at the same time each day. If you take antibiotics, your birth control pill is not working that month. Use condoms or something else as well

1 week if you start in on 1st day of period, 2 any other time in your cycle x

Use condoms with it for at least 30 days. They say a week, but better safe than sorry

1 Like

There not a mistake maybe accident. God don’t create mistakes. I think it was a month when I took them

1 Like

I was also told 30 days

Be careful if you take antibiotics they make birth control ineffective

1 Like

I take sprintec and only had to use prote tion the first week.

My doctor always said 30 days

30 days, use condoms if you get put on any antibiotics, do your best to not miss doses. Set an alarm on your phone if you have to!

A month and they talking bout the antibiotics, well if you drink A lot of grapefruit juice they don’t work.

Your doctor didn’t discuss this with you?