How long does pink eye take to clear?

My son has pink eye. Will he be okay for Saturday? He has a birthday party to attend

4 Likes

It takes a while to clear up but normally 24-48 after treatment has started it’s no longer contagious.

My daughter has pink eye currently…well still on the drops. Doctor and school said 24hrs on antibiotic drops and as long as the discharge has stopped. She was good to go after a full 24hrs on drops. It cleared pretty fast once we got the meds. Went from her not being able to keep her eye clear and was swollen red to having no symptoms at all.

My daughter just got over pink eye. She was on amoxicillin 3x daily and eye drops 4x daily. Doctor said to Keep her home for 48 hours after starting medicine

1 Like

When did he start antibiotics?
Usually 24 hrs on them and hes good unless discharge continues then i would wait.

1 Like

You need antibiotic eye drops for at least 24 hours to be considered not contagious. Pink eye is extremely contagious.

2 Likes

If it looks pink or any discharge then keep
Your kid at home ffs. Seriously keep him home because nobody else wants your child’s pink eye especially from a birthday party.

2 Likes

24 hours after drips have started you are no longer contagious

1 Like

No not send him. It’s HIGHLY contagious and takes a week with eye drops to resolve. Please. If I was the parent of the birthday child and you showed up with your child with pink eye I’d be livid.

4 Likes

Is this the same as conjunctivitis, if so a doctor told me 9 years ago when I had my daughter Johnson’s baby shampoo wee drop into hot water wait for it to cool then use cotton wool and wipe around eye . It’s worked and cleared up all my children’s . We don’t get given antibiotics here for conjunctivitis unless badly infected . X

Get the drops from the doctor, by day 3 he should be cleared up. Do it for the full 5 days. If it comes back go back to the doctor and get the ointment instead of the drops and do it for the full 7 days.
My 5yo just did this.

If no medication/eye drops it won’t clear. If on antibiotic drops they’ll be fine after 24-48 hours after first drops to be in public.