How long is breastmilk good in the freezer?

I’ve heard breast milk is only good in a regular freezer for 6 months. Has anyone ever use breast milk over the 6 months mark. I have a ton a milk in my freezer and I’m just past the 6 month mark. Do you think it’s still okay to use/donate?

6 Likes

You could do a milk bath if baby gets a rash or anything, eczema, Dry akin, etc.

2 Likes

Regular freezer 6 mo deep freeze 1 year

Im almost 100% positive its good for up to a year froze.

1 Like

If It goes past 6 months I wouldnt feed it to ur baby there r other ways to use it though.

2 Likes

It’s good for 12 months.

Freshly expressed breast milk can be stored in the back of a deep freezer for up to 12 months. Regular freezer - 6months. However, using the frozen milk within six months is optimal.
research suggests that the longer you store breast milk — whether in the refrigerator or in the freezer — the greater the loss of vitamin C in the milk.

1 Like

6 months in a normal freezer 1 year in a deep freezer :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t use it to feed the baby but you could definitely use it in many other ways!

What’s the difference in a regular freezer and a deep freezer

Sweet drop cafe is a fb breast feeding group that offers tons of great info and the admin is a IBCLC.

My pediatrician and LC told me to go off smell because it could last longer than a year or less than 6 months. Depends on freezer and hows often you open it and what not.

My pediatrician told me the 4 rule! 4 hours out, 4 days in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer!

1 Like

Keep in mind what you pumped 6 months ago will be different in content to what you are producing now, as your milk is constantly changing to accommodate the child’s requirements.

Deep freezer = 12 months.
Regular freezer = 6 months.
I’ve heard people use it after the 6 months mark but I personally wouldn’t risk it

1 Like

Guideline says 6m regular freezer and 12m deep freeze. I’ve used donor milk up to 2.5 years old because that’s all I could get my hands on and baby has terrible problems with formula.
No problems
They are guidelines. Thaw some see how it smells. Sour milk smells like sour milk

2 Likes

My milk wouldn’t keep beyond 2-3 months before it soured :woman_shrugging:t2::roll_eyes:

I think you should be okay as long as it smells fine! We have used some milk over the 6 months and it was fine!

I got this at lactation last week

Doctors say deep freeze 12mos tops!!!

I think if you use it soon it shouldn’t be a big deal.
Might just be a break down of chemicals within the milk itself.
They reccomend not using formula that has been open for more then a month, but I know for sure I used formula that was open for longer then a month. Nothing bad happened. She didn’t get sick or lose weight while i used the formula

It can be used for other thinks like milk baths

It just loses nutrients/antibodies past the 6 months. You can always try a bag or two and see how your baby reacts to it. If they’re okay taking it, you’re good. Babies won’t drink bad milk.

It’s good for about 6 months or so. If your going to donate it get ahold of your local Leche Ladies (if you don’t have a phone number call Lavor and Delivery at the hospital for the number) and ask them. They will know a mama in need if anything

I have used older than 6 months.

Yes. Keep on using it!